ADVERTISEMENT

Colby, DeJong & Jones named 3rd Team All B1G

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
GAHoI2SWMAA6z4x

I don’t think the talent level on the offensive line is that bad. I think the antiquated offensive philosophy constantly puts them in a position where their job becomes very difficult.

Hopefully KF hires someone at OC that he trusts to implement an entirely new offensive approach.

I don’t think the talent level on the offensive line is that bad. I think the antiquated offensive philosophy constantly puts them in a position where their job becomes very difficult.

Hopefully KF hires someone at OC that he trusts to implement an entirely new offensive approach.

haven't heard much from the "fire offensive line coach George Barnett" crowd lately, either.

Would be interesting if we could keep them healthy. Maybe all blame should not be on Brian for everything, but when you have no clue that's always the easiest target.

yeah, Nick has sure taken a beating on here

My life was better and more relaxed after leaving the board mid season. I get being frustrated but there are about 30 or 40 guys on here that are past frustrated and if they were half as smart as they thought they were they sure as shit wouldn’t be on message boards!!

I’m am not that smart and here I am 🤪 just to get it out ahead of the bozos that will be through with the irony police shortly 😉

Reactions: Bishop-71
Why does the 2nd team not have a TE and the 1st team has two of them? Does anyone understand how that works?

DeJong and Colby were not very good when they were tried at OT and both are better suited for Guard. The award is for their OG play. There isn't a contradiction between saying they weren't good at OT and them being now older and more effective when playing their natural position of OG.

The position of need for Iowa offense for past 3 years has been OT, not OG.

I would say the OL has played much better recently and Leshon has emerged as a force running inside and getting a lot of extra yards on his own. Hill while not being accurate, I feel he does a better job of staying in the pocket and not bailing too early like Petras. I think Petras took too many sacks.

Reactions: jonesy5960
My life was better and more relaxed after leaving the board mid season. I get being frustrated but there are about 30 or 40 guys on here that are past frustrated and if they were half as smart as they thought they were they sure as shit wouldn’t be on message boards!!

I’m am not that smart and here I am 🤪 just to get it out ahead of the bozos that will be through with the irony police shortly 😉
I'm one of those guys who you believe isn't as smart as I think I am, I guess. Nick DeJong has been awful his entire career at Iowa, with this season being the least putrid. He graded out as the 11th best guard in the Big Ten. 58.6 in pass blocking and 67.4 in run blocking. That puts him as the 28th best guard in the B1G in pblk and 8th best in rblk. I hope he enjoys and appreciates the accolades, but I don't agree he's an all-B1G level lineman.

For what it's worth, Feth graded out as the 33rd best guard in the B1G. 4th best in pblk, but 38th in rblk.

I'm one of those guys who you believe isn't as smart as I think I am, I guess. Nick DeJong has been awful his entire career at Iowa, with this season being the least putrid. He graded out as the 11th best guard in the Big Ten. 58.6 in pass blocking and 67.4 in run blocking. That puts him as the 28th best guard in the B1G in pblk and 8th best in rblk. I hope he enjoys and appreciates the accolades, but I don't agree he's an all-B1G level lineman.

For what it's worth, Feth graded out as the 33rd best guard in the B1G. 4th best in pblk, but 38th in rblk.

Seems so… and maybe you didn’t know this, but I don’t pick all big 10 teams. Someone else does take your gripe up with them. 😊

Reactions: Bishop-71
It's interesting to remark that in recent history ... both Jones and DeJong were the favorite whipping boys for many of the "fans" on this board. This ain't fantasy football ... these guys are human ... and are fallible. However, they're equally as capable of developing and improving. I'm really proud of those guys! It's great that they worked themselves to the point of getting recognized on an All-B1G level. Congrats guys!

Disagree, I thought to a somewhat trained eye they looked decent, especially during b10 play.
I thought Pass Pro this year has been mostly above average. Solid at best. Run game has had a few big runs but consistency hasn't been good. Ive also posted on here that I really struggle to know how good or bad they are as a unit when you think about how predictable we are. At one point in the year we were literally 99% pass out of gun and constantly asking them to and still ask them to block against 7-9 man boxes in the run game.

Reactions: cmhawks99
So for those that want to keep Barnett and Copeland, what part of this offense would you say is a success? These lineman are all upperclassman.
Dunker and Stephens weren't upperclassmen.
Also, the OL got hammered by injuries.
Lastly, despite all the adversity on the OL .. they OL improved through the season. This was easily the best OL the Hawks have had over the past 3 seasons.

Or it says something else. Maybe the talent is actually there, and the scheme is shit.

Ask yourself this question:

Have you EVER seen so many missed blocks in the last two years? I'm talking complete whiffs.

I have not, and it's not even close.

Our line sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Lastly, despite all the adversity on the OL .. they OL improved through the season. This was easily the best OL the Hawks have had over the past 3 seasons.
This is not saying much, and the lowest rated offense in the country. Dunker is a RS sophomore, so 3 seasons is an upperclassman, he is eligible for the NFL draft. I'll give you Stephens, although he only played in 5 games, the rest of it is more than questionable.

Last edited:
I think the talent is there, and this incoming class is more than solid, but it is time for a change, in both coaching and the scheme.
Bingo. Even if the talent is there the scheme combined with predictability has done nothing but hurt the development of the line or really and player on O.

As squeeze said - this isn’t saying much.

How about one of these years we have a good Line in the early stage of the season.…That’d be cool.

Barnett should be gone.

Seems so… and maybe you didn’t know this, but I don’t pick all big 10 teams. Someone else does take your gripe up with them. 😊
I didn't open the dialog regarding DeJong, so your response is perplexing. If you did pick the all B1G teams, I hope you'd do a better job.

• Haha
because with a new OC, hopefully he and Copeland are on their way out.
I'm hopeful for this, but wouldn't count on it.

Any new OC worth his salt would see how the groups under these two coaches have woefully underperformed for years and would want his own guys in those spots. However, I think we all know that the new OC will likely be another yes-man just coming in to do KF's bidding for the remaining twilight years of his career, and it is very likely that absolutely nothing will change. Hell, one of those two might actually get promoted to OC, for crying out loud...

• Haha
I didn't open the dialog regarding DeJong, so your response is perplexing. If you did pick the all B1G teams, I hope you'd do a better job.

Again, your gripe is with them. For the record I wouldn’t hire you or any of these guys to coach a pee wee team, just sayin

Last edited:
I think the talent is there, and this incoming class is more than solid, but it is time for a change, in both coaching and the scheme.
I think the talent is very difficult to evaluate given how dysfunctional the offensive side of the program has become. We're always in this position of discussing whether it's the chicken or the egg. The only certainty is that the offense has been broken for years, and systemic changes were past due. I'm hoping a new hire has the skill and the latitude to bring any additional staff they feel is warranted and make any necessary schematic changes.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT