ADVERTISEMENT

Whats the consensus on OL play?

ButtersHawk

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2021
I was wondering what everyones views on the OL is and OL play in recent years. As it stands now we return 5 starters for next year. The starting 5 as of now is a combo of

Richman
Dejong
Jones
Elsbury
Colby
Dunker
MAYBE Stephens

I lean towards this OL is probably average talent wise but predictability makes them look way worse. I also think we just have a bunch of guards and no tackles. What say you guys?

Lack of talent?
Lack of development?
Predictability?
Coaching?
Injuries?
Attrition issues?

Reactions: CatCoach
If Dejong is playing we are in trouble. Should’ve said no thx on coming back for his 6ty yr. Rather take a chance with one of the younger guys with higher ceiling or transfer than him. Seen enough to know. Point and case bowl game. Comes in whiffs on a run block 2 plays later gets beaten by guy forces sack fumble inside the 5.

My overall line grades:
2021 - F+ (Linderbaum gave them the +)
2022 - F
2023 - D

Wrong sport, but the gif still works.

3rGxGDY.gif

We saw some improvement, and injuries really hurt them this year. But it has been our biggest weakness as a team for several consecutive seasons.

Well, considering that the OL play has been dogs*** for the better part of a decade, I can't get too excited for any number of returning starters.
The fact that the coaches can't seem to recruit anyone who doesn't need at least 3 years in the system to be worth a damn is a failure on their part.
Yeah I mentioned before but
Richman HS DE
Dejong Walkon
Plumb HS TE
Jones HS DT
The fact that this is an OL at a top 1/2 BIG and Top 25 program is astounding.

They got somethings to work on. Sorry, between the O-line coach and players it's a dumpster fire. I never thought I would see an Iowa O-line this bad.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Hopefully the new OC comes in as an OL coach, fires GB and JB, hires a stud qb coach and WR coach. It will take a couple of years to get roots, but worth it.

I was wondering what everyones views on the OL is and OL play in recent years. As it stands now we return 5 starters for next year. The starting 5 as of now is a combo of

Richman
Dejong
Jones
Elsbury
Colby
Dunker
MAYBE Stephens

I lean towards this OL is probably average talent wise but predictability makes them look way worse. I also think we just have a bunch of guards and no tackles. What say you guys?

Lack of talent?
Lack of development?
Predictability?
Coaching?
Injuries?
Attrition issues?
Awesome players coached by even more awesome coaches.

I don't necessarily believe this but I don't want to offend the GIA Protectors of the Realm that patrol this board in search of detractors.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
Sadly, the OL has a pretty good chance of keeping the Hawks from being a playoff team. All of the other pieces are mostly in place.

We all know the D will be elite again. Special teams should be strong with our new Aussie punter, understanding that there's only one Tory Taylor and he'll be punting on Sundays.

On O:

QB -- check, as long as McNamara stays healthy (probably about 50/50 chance)
RB -- check
TE -- check
WR -- check (certainly not elite, but Brown will be good and I think Anderson will improve and we've heard some good things about Bostick)

Hopefully the new OC plus Cade, Lachey, and others elevate the offensive level of play, but another crappy OL could blow all of that up. My, how far the Iowa OL has fallen -- from the trademark of Iowa football to a catastrophe. Considering that returning guys have failed to progress much at all in recent years, I don't have much hope that they'll be any better next year. Hopefully a less idiotic scheme and better play calling give them a better chance to succeed.

Richman
Dejong
Jones
Elsbury
Colby
Dunker
MAYBE Stephens

Lack of talent?
Lack of development?
Predictability?
Coaching?
Injuries?
Attrition issues?
Your answer has been right before your eyes, not very good, really bad to bad especially when playing against athletic, talented front 7s. I dont know or have not looked close enough to decipher why, but yes our tackles are not very good in pass protection. They unit does not seem to blow defenses back very often so strength, power and footwork are lacking

Well, considering that the OL play has been dogs*** for the better part of a decade, I can't get too excited for any number of returning starters.
The fact that the coaches can't seem to recruit anyone who doesn't need at least 3 years in the system to be worth a damn is a failure on their part.
Really? There is some pretty good ones playing in the NFL now that played at Iowa in your timeline.

Are you sure about your post?

Iowa Wins 2016 Joe Moore Award As Most Outstanding Offensive Line Unit​

It's been terrible since Doyle got let go for doing the same exact things Brian did.

No that isn't his problem. His knack for whiffing on a D lineman and getting the QB sacked is. The coaches should have thanked for him for trying and told him to transfer to UNI. No we bring him back and he probably will start because he's the best they've got unfortunately. That's 100% on the staff, not DeJong.
FIFY..

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Your answer has been right before your eyes, not very good, really bad to bad especially when playing against athletic, talented front 7s. I dont know or have not looked close enough to decipher why, but yes our tackles are not very good in pass protection. They unit does not seem to blow defenses back very often so strength, power and footwork are lacking
Unit has lost that nasty mean demeanor so many guys before them had like Linderbaum or gallery. Worst part is last 3 years staff continues to shuffle guys in and out like the DL throughout the whole season instead of finding the 5 best and get some continuity. Like early on zero reason to rotate between dejong and feth. When feth was hands down better.

I don't want to believe our OLinemen are physically/mentally inadequate.

I blame the offensive scheme.

I don't want to believe our OLinemen are physically/mentally inadequate.

I blame the offensive scheme.
You don't have to believe it; you just have to watch games/tape to actually see it.

Scheme may be part of it, or as I like to say, "play calling". Also, the QB has to identify the "hot" defender and the line captain has to make the appropriate block call. Too often you saw DL have unimpeded runs at an immobile QB. While these unimpeded runs at the QB didn't always result in a sack, most of them did result in a hurry, or hit, which absolutely affected the play.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
You don't have to believe it; you just have to watch games/tape to actually see it.

Scheme may be part of it, or as I like to say, "play calling". Also, the QB has to identify the "hot" defender and the line captain has to make the appropriate block call. Too often you saw DL have unimpeded runs at an immobile QB. While these unimpeded runs at the QB didn't always result in a sack, most of them did result in a hurry, or hit, which absolutely affected the play.
I guess what it comes down to is I don't believe in singling out players.
I don't want to add to potential mental health issues.
I am no saint and not qualified to lecture/preach, but the criticism of Pat McCaffery on the basketball forum was dreadful.

I am no saint and not qualified to lecture/preach, but the criticism of Pat McCaffery on the basketball forum was dreadful.
Well to play devils advocate. These athletes want all the perks of it have to take the negative being they are young adults now not kids. Especially with NIL. You get all the free tuition, room and board and now some of these athletes are making more than police, fire fighters, soldiers and nurses. All jobs with real world stress and consequences that some of their peers do.

So when players get ripped on here so be it. A site no athlete is forced to read so if mental health is a concern for them pretty easy to avoid these sites. And if they don’t that’s on them. As for pmac he’s been a pretty vocal and opinionated guy over the years on social media and even had a podcast with his brother. When you put yourself and opinions in the public eye don’t get all butt hurt when there is some blowback. And when he did have his problems last year 99% of post on this site where positive on his mental health. Criticism was on his game.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
It is wishful thinking to believe that the same players that haven't developed for multiple years now will suddenly become above average OL.
The list that the OP identifies as to probable starters is not a source of encouragement. "Average talent wise" is very generous.
Blocking schemes, an immobile qb, incompetent OC, etc. The list is endless as to the other issues that make the OL worse. However, even if you made all of those things go away I'm not sure that this would be an average B1G oline.

I don't think it's a bad OL unit. But I think it's a bad OL unit for what KF wants to do on offense.

I totally agree with this. If a team lacks sufficient talent, it's not on the players. It's 100% on the staff who are responsible for recruiting, developing, and coaching that talent. People act like these guys are taking a spot away from someone who's a whole lot better.

Newsflash for everyone. If the staff was capable of putting someone better out there, they would. If the guys out there aren't good enough for your satisfaction, that's on the staff, not the players who are giving what they've got to give.

I totally agree with this. If a team lacks sufficient talent, it's not on the players. It's 100% on the staff who are responsible for recruiting, developing, and coaching that talent. People act like these guys are taking a spot away from someone who's a whole lot better.

Newsflash for everyone. If the staff was capable of putting someone better out there, they would. If the guys out there aren't good enough for your satisfaction, that's on the staff, not the players who are giving what they've got to give.
Yes.
Criticism of the level of talent is entirely on the coaching staff. It is up to them to bring in players that are, or can be molded into, what is needed to field a competitive offensive line in the B1G. Failure to do that is on the coaching staff. Calling out that the current makeup is lacking that ability is calling out the coaching staff. If the players turn out not to have the level of ability at their position that can do the job then more capable players should be brought in. Some players are better suited for a lesser level of competition. In no way is that a failure on their part.

Reactions: jonesy5960
It is wishful thinking to believe that the same players that haven't developed for multiple years now will suddenly become above average OL.

That is a straw man. No one is claiming/hoping they will be above average. We're hoping the OL goes from absolutely terrible to below average.

I think we all agree that the 2016 Joe Moore Award was not deserved. And while we've had a good lineman here and there, the unit as a whole has been pretty bad.
So they weren't any good but won the award. We all, actually, don't agree. That is your opinion but not everyone's. The Ol in Kirk's tenure has ranged from decent to pretty good. Only recently has the OL slipped to below average. That is so strange because the OL, as a position group, was probably the highest rated group. Just didn't produce.

That is so strange because the OL, as a position group, was probably the highest rated group.

The highest rated position group of Kirk's tenure BY FAR, WITHOUT A DOUBT, is the defensive backfield.

Thanks, Phil!

Richman
Dejong
Jones
Elsbury
Colby
Dunker
MAYBE Stephens

Lack of talent?
Lack of development?
Predictability?
Coaching?
Injuries?
Attrition issues?
All of the above.
Most of which fall under the responsibility of the coaching staff,
recruiting
development
coaching

ADVERTISEMENT