ADVERTISEMENT

Combine - CJ Beathard

Funny you say that he probably was but so is Hayden and I was in the stands When people would piss and moan and complain about the draw on third and long.... everyone has their detractors brother...

And they're typically irrational

The vast majority liked Bill Snyder, the 3rd down draw became more of a staple after Snyder, so you may need to reevaluate your 'everyone' claim

Reactions: Ladell-hawk
watching CJ this morning at the combine is very frustrating. He has by far the quickest, smoothest release of the other quarterbacks in his group. He also has top tier arm strength. Just amazing how poorly we utilized him in his career at Iowa under GD. I have a feeling he gets a draft bump from his combine performance.
It wasn't just all poor utilization. CJ had very little mobility this year, he developed a bad habit of locking onto 1 receiver , and we all know the challenges our receiver group had, and the pass blocking was suspect the first half of the year. Also, at times he didn't throw it well either.

NW, Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue .... as I said I'm fine with him being gone but keep in mind our fans didn't like KOK either and eventually they wont like Brian, in fact eventually they won't like anyone... it's the nature of fandom everyone hates the offensive Coordinator

More fans liked KOK than they did GD. The fan base was fairly evenly split when it came to KOK as OC. Davis? Not at all. Most fans wanted him gone.

CJ wasn't healthy in many of his games at Iowa. In 2016 he did not display arm strength or accuracy. Of course, schemes weren't very good and he didn't have a great crop of receivers, but he missed a lot of guys when they did get open.

CJ is tough & smart, and he has a lot of talent. None of that will help in the NFL if he can't stay healthy.

This

I dont think he was fully healthy after that QB run for a TD against PITT in the 1st half.

Without a doubt, GD avoided the middle of the field, because a higher ptg of throws result in picks. Our WR didn't run many slants or posts, and even our TE avoided the middle of the field. Everyone noticed it, hawkeyegamefilm, Gazette guys, etc.

I think fans, including myself, are morons when it comes to playcalling. But you can see the overall philosophies, and GD's was the edges. Which didn't seem to be a compliment to our running game.

KOK's offense was more of a compliment to our running game. I think BF will run an offense more like KOK and NE. I know NE runs short stuff now, but they utilize the middle of the field.

Without a doubt, GD avoided the middle of the field, because a higher ptg of throws result in picks. Our WR didn't run many slants or posts, and even our TE avoided the middle of the field. Everyone noticed it, hawkeyegamefilm, Gazette guys, etc.

I think fans, including myself, are morons when it comes to playcalling. But you can see the overall philosophies, and GD's was the edges. Which didn't seem to be a compliment to our running game.

KOK's offense was more of a compliment to our running game. I think BF will run an offense more like KOK and NE. I know NE runs short stuff now, but they utilize the middle of the field.

Knock it off, there was that one slant that was dropped. They must have thrown across the middle of the field all the time plus there were 3-4 more drops across the middle so there!

Well I'm a CJ fan but he didn't have a great Sr bowl for what its worth, so I'd wager much of the blame can go squarely on him, so I guess we should be frustrated with CJ?
He performed well in practice at the Sr. Bowl from what I heard. No one tends to have a great Senior Bowl game.

If Jake can succeed in the NFL, so can CJ. CJ was the superior athlete of the two and had a knack for making big plays when healthy. It's clear that Iowa's QB Development was mediocre at best.

Just look how Jake improved with better coaching. He's a freaking official backup now. Who would have thought he would have even made it to the NFL?

He looked bad on the deep throw. Consistently overthrew and/or out of bounds

I watched a few minutes of the qb's throw the deep throws and I think I saw CJ throw 3 times. Most of the guys were overthrowing their receivers. It is tough timing wise when they throw a cone down and every receiver was running the route differently. They are basically taking their 7 step drop and throwing to a cone

The one ball I saw CJ complete was thrown to the inside and Steve Smith said something like "that's a big arm throw but needs to be outside"

Reactions: azhawkphan
The offense was not all GD's fault. When Vandenberg and Kittle went down it seem that is when CJ struggled. CJ seem to hold the ball too long waiting for someone to get open. The lack of talent and developing WRs was also a problem. Put part of the blame on the WR's coach. Even the best called offensive plays needs talent to execute them.

He looked bad on the deep throw. Consistently overthrew and/or out of bounds

I thought CJ looked better than most of the QB's on deep balls. While he did overthrow many, that is the preferred path in the NFL vs the alternative (obviously out of bounds is too far). The under throw in most cases is the kiss of death, and many of the throws I saw were under thrown - of course most were caught - but realize there was no defender present. A lot of the under thrown balls would have been silver platter INT's.

Go to a youth sporting event and it will tell you everything you need to know about where people are in there make-believe minds when it comes to sports. I have said this to some of my buddies and others...the death of the sporting fan is XBOX and Fantasy football. Truly there are guys that think that because they won their fantasy league game that they are "smart" football guys....or it they are undefeated online in Madden that they can be an o-coordinator for a D1 school. I am not kidding..it is where we are at in today's world. A gentleman at the Nebraska game last year (sitting behind him) stated to his buddy that Iowa won 5 out of 6 vs Nebbie on Xbox the night before. He says with no kidding involved..."if Davis doesn't screw this up Iowa should be 6 of 7 after today." I thought my son (22years old and high school all-stater) was going to punch the guy in the back of the head. People are football stupid for the most part...I have accepted that fact and just enjoy calling them out when there is a chance.
Not sure it's takes the XBox anymore. If they saw a meme, it became reality...

More fans liked KOK than they did GD. The fan base was fairly evenly split when it came to KOK as OC. Davis? Not at all. Most fans wanted him gone.
I never thought I would be glad to see Ken back. After the GD debacle he is a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: GarryO37
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT