ADVERTISEMENT

Combine - CJ Beathard

DrakeHawk20

Team MVP
Dec 26, 2007
watching CJ this morning at the combine is very frustrating. He has by far the quickest, smoothest release of the other quarterbacks in his group. He also has top tier arm strength. Just amazing how poorly we utilized him in his career at Iowa under GD. I have a feeling he gets a draft bump from his combine performance.

CJ wasn't healthy in many of his games at Iowa. In 2016 he did not display arm strength or accuracy. Of course, schemes weren't very good and he didn't have a great crop of receivers, but he missed a lot of guys when they did get open.

CJ is tough & smart, and he has a lot of talent. None of that will help in the NFL if he can't stay healthy.

I heard he completed a pass at the combine. True?
If so, I'm happy to hear he's performing at an exceptional level,
and look forward to him getting snaps at the next level.

Reactions: HawkInMO
watching CJ this morning at the combine is very frustrating. He has by far the quickest, smoothest release of the other quarterbacks in his group. He also has top tier arm strength. Just amazing how poorly we utilized him in his career at Iowa under GD. I have a feeling he gets a draft bump from his combine performance.

Well I'm a CJ fan but he didn't have a great Sr bowl for what its worth, so I'd wager much of the blame can go squarely on him, so I guess we should be frustrated with CJ?

If only someone could have just executed that goddamn slant route, CJ really would have really showed his prowess!
That would have required Greg Davis to use the slant route.. really think under Davis how many times did you see that ran.. it was mostly quick outs.

That would have required Greg Davis to use the slant route.. really think under Davis how many times did you see that ran.. it was mostly quick outs.

Hmmmm, I must have missed the games you watched, in fact I saw a beautifully executed slant route dropped for a 2 pt conversion in the Michigan game by Adrian Falconer. I swear I watch different games than other people....

Well I'm a CJ fan but he didn't have a great Sr bowl for what its worth, so I'd wager much of the blame can go squarely on him, so I guess we should be frustrated with CJ?
The Sr Bowl game itself is worthless. It's not football. The week of practice is an evaluation/exposure opportunity. And the invite is an honor.

The Sr Bowl game itself is worthless. It's not football. The week of practice is an evaluation/exposure opportunity. And the invite is an honor.

Well I meant (and go read ALL the North QB's evaluations) the practices mean something and the NFL proves it by sending a battalion of scouts. He struggled.

Well I meant (and go read ALL the North QB's evaluations) the practices mean something and the NFL proves it by sending a battalion of scouts. He struggled.
I saw them at the time. I know he didn't light it up. I have no idea where his health is or if he can stay healthy when healthy. He has the arm. He's a tad short for a prototype. He is (when healthy) athletic enough to move in the pocket and move the pocket. I don't think he's ever going to be a Pro-Bowler, but I think he's at least good enough for a practice squad (for as long as that's allowed) and I think he's a legit NFL backup with the right breaks.

I saw them at the time. I know he didn't light it up. I have no idea where his health is or if he can stay healthy when healthy. He has the arm. He's a tad short for a prototype. He is (when healthy) athletic enough to move in the pocket and move the pocket. I don't think he's ever going to be a Pro-Bowler, but I think he's at least good enough for a practice squad (for as long as that's allowed) and I think he's a legit NFL backup with the right breaks.

Actually I do too & I love CJ, but here is where I'm at....I'm tired of these guys constantly and immediately going to the coaches suck. Quite frankly we had plenty of sub par performances on Offense last year, starting with CJ. You don't have to like Greg Davis and I'm not saying he was great nor am I sad he is gone, but truly if you think he didn't throw slants (not you but others) or deep you should quit not only watching football but sharing your opinion with anyone ever. You are bias and incapable of seeing anything reality based.

I mean honestly we're talking about a man that has had 40+ years of coaching, the last 20+ in high-end division one college coaching. You don't make it that long and be a bad coach, quite frankly it's just ignorant to even think that that could be true! Hell a guy like Hal Mumme is considered an offensive genius and he still lost hundreds of games and been fired multiple times, it's baffling to me that it is so hard for people to understand how foolish they look. Every complainer and finger pointer I have ever been around and its hundreds maybe more, they are never nothing more than dead air and typically very average to poor employees.

I was on the Wisconsin board the other night, SB nation, reading after they lost to the Iowa basketball team, yowwzzaaa...Now Greg Gard is the stupidest man alive, he sucks, he should be fired he's a terrible coach and all this after he's only been there two years and had an incredible year last year.... I mean honestly people are just dumb.

There's my rant for the day....

Actually I do too & I love CJ, but here is where I'm at....I'm tired of these guys constantly and immediately going to the coaches suck. Quite frankly we had plenty of sub par performances on Offense last year, starting with CJ. You don't have to like Greg Davis and I'm not saying he was great nor am I sad he is gone, but truly if you think he didn't throw slants (not you but others) or deep you should quit not only watching football but sharing your opinion with anyone ever. You are bias and incapable of seeing anything reality based.

I mean honestly we're talking about a man that has had 40+ years of coaching, the last 20+ in high-end division one college coaching. You don't make it that long and be a bad coach, quite frankly it's just ignorant to even think that that could be true! Hell a guy like Hal Mumme is considered an offensive genius and he still lost hundreds of games and been fired multiple times, it's baffling to me that it is so hard for people to understand how foolish they look. Every complainer and finger pointer I have ever been around and its hundreds maybe more, they are never nothing more than dead air and typically very average to poor employees.

I was on the Wisconsin board the other night, SB nation, reading after they lost to the Iowa basketball team, yowwzzaaa...Now Greg Gard is the stupidest man alive, he sucks, he should be fired he's a terrible coach and all this after he's only been there two years and had an incredible year last year.... I mean honestly people are just dumb.

I am sooooooo far from "the coaches suck." Too short, didn't read.

Reactions: hawkandroll
Didn't say you were and you read enough to know the content, that was enough...
Read it all man :). I mostly agree with you. I am thirsty for football. Thank GOD the NBA lasts through June. July for America. August for preseason.

Hmmmm, I must have missed the games you watched, in fact I saw a beautifully executed slant route dropped for a 2 pt conversion in the Michigan game by Adrian Falconer. I swear I watch different games than other people....
Wow way to recall one play that went across the middle.. I know there was a couple plays that did my point was Greg Davis didn't call that many across the middle.. Jon Miller has been going off about this very issue for a couple years now that Davis didn't run that many plays acrossed the middle..

Wow way to recall one play that went across the middle.. I know there was a couple plays that did my point was Greg Davis didn't call that many across the middle.. Jon Miller has been going off about this very issue for a couple years now that Davis didn't run that many plays acrossed the middle..

Slant is NOT what is "considered" across the middle, nor do I think that's what Jon Miller means, nor do I think Jon Miller lacks bias when it comes to his observations. He is a decent man but he has had to back pedal plenty in his career and one play?!?! Really?!?! It was only one of the absolute BIGGEST plays of the season and quite frankly they threw plenty of slants, they did not however complete many...I'm sorry you missed them.

Jerminic Smith in particular caught some and dropped several...but that is the vision of a fan.

Mic drop!!!!

Agree with all of it.

Agree, and I would just add that Whisky fans are exceptionally dumb!

Reactions: cmhawks99
I don't watch the NFL anymore. Do they still play on Sundays? I am curious about who our left tackle will be. Or if Brandon Smith was a coup. Should Iowa promote Wadley for the Heisman? Could Jewell win the Dick Butkus?

Slant is NOT what is "considered" across the middle, nor do I think that's what Jon Miller means, nor do I think Jon Miller lacks bias when it comes to his observations. He is a decent man but he has had to back pedal plenty in his career and one play?!?! Really?!?! It was only one of the absolute BIGGEST plays of the season and quite frankly they threw plenty of slants, they did not however complete many...I'm sorry you missed them.

Jerminic Smith in particular caught some and dropped several...but that is the vision of a fan.

I am assuming you have some form of a % breakdown on distribution. Otherwise we are left with your 'well it was a really big play' and 'plenty of times' recollections.

I am assuming you have some form of a % breakdown on distribution. Otherwise we are left with your 'well it was a really big play' and 'plenty of times' recollections.

No you?! Since we both know there were slants thrown I'd say that onus is on you friend....

I will admit I appreciate your attempt at subterfuge but in order for any percentage to be relevant we'd have to know the percentage of slants thrown by every team at least in the Big Ten or that runs an offense like us more likely so really it's a poor attempt at misdirection....:D

If Jon Miller is your source , you need to expand your reading materials

Let's call it a hunch -- CJ will get his first NFL start within the next 3 years. CJ reminds me of Russell Wilson in many ways. Hope I am proven right.

Kirk Cousins like when healthy

If Jon Miller is your source , you need to expand your reading materials
Not my only source he is just another person who also saw why I saw.. Davis liked the quick outs. And also Davis passing tree was hot routes on the fly.. the wr would read the defense and decided his route and hope the quarterback was on the same page.. usually the reciver would go with the initial call..

Not my only source he is just another person who also saw why I saw.. Davis liked the quick outs. And also Davis passing tree was hot routes on the fly.. the wr would read the defense and decided his route and hope the quarterback was on the same page.. usually the reciver would go with the initial call..

Seemed to me like he threw a lot of fade routes especially when Vanderburg was still playing and we dropped a lot of passes over the middle of the field by Smith and Riley McCarron in particular

Keep in mind Miller also waxed poetic last year about how wrong he was about Kirk And Iowa and I remember chuckling because I knew not much was different and then when they lost again this year suddenly it was the same O same O hard for me to get behind that...way too convenient

Reactions: amish guy
Dude got us within 1 yard of playing Alabama in the college football playoffs.
What game that year did you think the offense was on fire and the defense was not?? He called good games but the defense was on spot.. even the championship, I believe we when that game if 3 offense plays go different not defense.. and also his offense rank was what??

Keep in mind Miller also waxed poetic last year about how wrong he was about Kirk And Iowa and I remember chuckling because I knew not much was different and then when they lost again this year suddenly it was the same O same O hard for me to get behind that...way too convenient
I agree but being ranked in the 100 ranked in offense he has a point... kok worst ranking was what 70th??? Both oc had the benefit of a top ranked D.C. And kok was the better of the 2

NW, Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue .... as I said I'm fine with him being gone but keep in mind our fans didn't like KOK either and eventually they wont like Brian, in fact eventually they won't like anyone... it's the nature of fandom everyone hates the offensive Coordinator

Go to a youth sporting event and it will tell you everything you need to know about where people are in there make-believe minds when it comes to sports. I have said this to some of my buddies and others...the death of the sporting fan is XBOX and Fantasy football. Truly there are guys that think that because they won their fantasy league game that they are "smart" football guys....or it they are undefeated online in Madden that they can be an o-coordinator for a D1 school. I am not kidding..it is where we are at in today's world. A gentleman at the Nebraska game last year (sitting behind him) stated to his buddy that Iowa won 5 out of 6 vs Nebbie on Xbox the night before. He says with no kidding involved..."if Davis doesn't screw this up Iowa should be 6 of 7 after today." I thought my son (22years old and high school all-stater) was going to punch the guy in the back of the head. People are football stupid for the most part...I have accepted that fact and just enjoy calling them out when there is a chance.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I watched some of his combine time. Looked ok. Steve Smith even made a comment about his release and arm strength on a deep fade.

Reactions: shoot_the_three
NW, Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue .... as I said I'm fine with him being gone but keep in mind our fans didn't like KOK either and eventually they wont like Brian, in fact eventually they won't like anyone... it's the nature of fandom everyone hates the offensive Coordinator

Bill Snyder was fairly well liked if I recall.

Bill Snyder was fairly well liked if I recall.

Funny you say that he probably was but so is Hayden and I was in the stands When people would piss and moan and complain about the draw on third and long.... everyone has their detractors brother...

And they're typically irrational

Go to a youth sporting event and it will tell you everything you need to know about where people are in there make-believe minds when it comes to sports. I have said this to some of my buddies and others...the death of the sporting fan is XBOX and Fantasy football. Truly there are guys that think that because they won their fantasy league game that they are "smart" football guys....or it they are undefeated online in Madden that they can be an o-coordinator for a D1 school. I am not kidding..it is where we are at in today's world. A gentleman at the Nebraska game last year (sitting behind him) stated to his buddy that Iowa won 5 out of 6 vs Nebbie on Xbox the night before. He says with no kidding involved..."if Davis doesn't screw this up Iowa should be 6 of 7 after today." I thought my son (22years old and high school all-stater) was going to punch the guy in the back of the head. People are football stupid for the most part...I have accepted that fact and just enjoy calling them out when there is a chance.

Yes it's frustrating and stupid and is taking some of the fun out of sports for me. In fact I typically avoid people I see wearing Iowa sports gear because I don't want to hear them say something stupid about the coaching staff.

The good news is it's freed up some time for me because I'm not as gaga about it as I used to be, and I'm glad for that because I'm a 46-year-old man with five kids & I don't need to be sucked into a sporting event all the time.

Heck I already am chasing my kids around as far as that goes LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT