ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Patrick McCaffery

He got outrebounded by our point guard that played 20 minutes. Let’s not go crazy. He was competent on offense. Defense wasn’t offensive. Not saying much just tells you how low the bar is.
PMac had as many assists (4) as Joe (who played 23 minutes) and no turnovers (2 for Joe). Joe did have 3 rbs to 2 for PMac, but PMac was chasing a lot on defense as he usually guards the small forwards. Lundy scored 8 pts - PMac and the team did a good job on him. He played 28 hard minutes on both ends. How about a little credit?

PMac had as many assists (4) as Joe (who played 23 minutes) and no turnovers (2 for Joe). Joe did have 3 rbs to 2 for PMac, but PMac was chasing a lot on defense as he usually guards the small forwards. Lundy scored 8 pts - PMac and the team did a good job on him. He played 28 hard minutes on both ends. How about a little credit?
Joe would have had a lot more assists if they made their shots.

Patrick played great. In addition to what others have posted, I appreciate that he showed better discipline with the shots he took. No off balance runners / floaters. I wish he would take the pull up with more confidence, but maybe today was a step in the right direction. He has a great touch, just seems to hesitate and look to make an interior pass in close quarters vs. getting to his spot and shooting.

I wasn’t able to watch the game but listened to some of it, and they picked him as their player of the game. He must have done something to deserve that. Or does the nepotism go that deep?

Didn't weezy guard the opponent 3 last year when he averaged around 6.8 rebounds per game? So it is your contention PMAC playing the same position and averaging 3.4 rebounds in 24.4 mpg is a solid rebounding job?

Kris Murray, PMAC's backup averages 4.5 rebounds in 17 min per game. That is a solid job, but he's PMACs backup.

Lundy the guy PMAC is guarding gets 5 rebounds and PMAC gets 2.

PMAC did manage to get a couple blocks, normally he just whiffs and gives up layups.

PMAC has some upside but he needs to actually attack the boards instead of being soft and watching Rebraca and the Murrays fight for rebounds.

• Angry
Reactions: PIEPI
I wasn’t able to watch the game but listened to some of it, and they picked him as their player of the game. He must have done something to deserve that. Or does the nepotism go that deep?

He was pretty good today, had a nice block, good shot selection, made some nice 3’s and he was calling for them confidently. That being said, I thought Kris played as well, Keegan struggled early to get looks but came up big down the stretch, JBo was also a spark today. Idk it wasn’t egregious but hard to select a POTG with 4 dudes in double figures and our team actually playing solid D as a unit.

Didn't weezy guard the opponent 3 last year when he averaged around 6.8 rebounds per game? So it is your contention PMAC playing the same position and averaging 3.4 rebounds in 24.4 mpg is a solid rebounding job?

Kris Murray, PMAC's backup averages 4.5 rebounds in 17 min per game. That is a solid job, but he's PMACs backup.

PMAC did manage to get a couple blocks, normally he just whiffs and gives up layups.

PMAC has some upside but he needs to actually attack the boards instead of being soft and watching Rebraca and the Murrays fight for rebounds.

Kris has slid to our back up 5. Cmac is pmacs back up. But I get your point and your analysis, and agree mostly.

The kids got talent…. And has fought health issues we all know about that affects his conditioning…..he has a good shot, length, athleticism, decent handles for a 6’9” kid…he just needs to get stronger.
Today, he took makable shots. We all saw the difference in output because of the better shot selection. Hopefully, he’s been shook out of his funk. 10-14 ppg from Patrick would be really helpful. PM hitting threes is exceptional for Iowa’s chances for a good season.

Last edited:
Joe had a great game that didn’t really show up on the box score.
Yeah, he was dropping some dimes inside that didn't convert. I think he might have even been dinged for a turnover that bounced right off of Keegan who wasn't expecting the pass.

Reactions: SI_NYC
He was pretty good today, had a nice block, good shot selection, made some nice 3’s and he was calling for them confidently. That being said, I thought Kris played as well, Keegan struggled early to get looks but came up big down the stretch, JBo was also a spark today. Idk it wasn’t egregious but hard to select a POTG with 4 dudes in double figures and our team actually playing solid D as a unit.
POTG today was Kris. Very efficient and great numbers for just 20 minutes of playing time.

Patrick had a good game with a really solid line today. Played effective defense getting a couple of steals and blocked shots. Was a lot more efficient offensively than he's been of late, avoiding those off-balance floaters that tend to hurt his shooting percentage. 4 assists is awesome The only fly in the ointment would be a continued dearth of rebounds again collecting only 2 in 28 minutes on the floor. Gotta find a way to bump that number out of that position.

Rebraca had another very solid game as well and although Jbo only hit 3 shots and scored 11 in 33 minutes his efficiency was a lot better than it's been of late.

Overall a solid team outing on a day when your star was struggling with his shot.

Last edited:

Don't disagree on PMac needing to attack the boards. He should at least box out his guy. Lundy had 5 rbs. PMac did a better job in the 2nd half.

And Weezy is a lot farther along than PMac is at this point. Weezy was a 2nd round draft pick. Not sure if PMac will ever be at that level.

Lol at the people who think rebounding is the only element of basketball.
No, but if the second half had followed the same ASS whooping that we got on the boards in the first half, that could have been a loss. It's amazing how they turned it around in the 2nd half. Its going to take more of that type of effort to finish well this season...

Don't disagree on PMac needing to attack the boards. He should at least box out his guy. Lundy had 5 rbs. PMac did a better job in the 2nd half.

And Weezy is a lot farther along than PMac is at this point. Weezy was a 2nd round draft pick. Not sure if PMac will ever be at that level.
I can't really think of anything that Pmac does as well as JoeW did right now but who knows. He's still got 2 more years to get there.

Reactions: BBHawk
I hate to be THAT guy but Pat also dealt with something that affected his body in a big time way. And obviously it still does but to a lesser degree. His body is still transforming and sometimes I think he forgets or hasn’t adjusted to the fact that his body is no longer super frail. Hence the fade away shots and the lack of rebounding for a “long” 6’9” player.

He played very good on D.

See...defense can be fun.
That's probably because of the "Patrick M. can't play defense lowlights video" you sent him and the coach? It's shameful you even have the audacity to come back to this board and make comments like this after you so badly skewered Patrick. I tried to find that thread yesterday, but I couldn't find it. Was it removed? It should have been for the way you attacked Patrick. Some folks seem to forget that Patrick's thyroid was removed because of the cancer, and it is still affecting his energy level. My God, give him some grace.

God...does anyone else question what the hell Fran is thinking with his substitution patterns? Patrick starts the game, hits two threes and a nice pull up midrange...and at the 5 minute mark Fran sits him for 6 or 7 minutes. What the hell. He was on fire...and he didn't look winded...there were several stoppages in play early in the game.

I know Jordan hit some big threes in this game...but I would love to see Fran put his most athletic team on the court for a stretch of 6-7 minutes. Toussaint, Ulis, Perkins, and the two Murrays (or Rebraca for Kris). Here's the thing. These guys are excellent defensive players. Having two point guards in the game who can penetrate and score at the rim is also important. They both can create for others.

But the most important thing is that these guys create turnovers, and they get to loose balls. Watch...when Connor and Jbo are in the game...we lose the 50/50 balls and rebounds. This has always been the issue with Iowa against elite teams...we can't get to loose balls and can't match physicality and speed.

This is the first team Fran has had that can defend in a man to man situation on the perimeter...but it's not with JBo in the game. Every team we play man against...just attacks him relentlessly. We now double quickly when they inevitably try to take him down low. That's smart...but let's just try our quickest and most physical team for awhile.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
God...does anyone else question what the hell Fran is thinking with his substitution patterns? Patrick starts the game, hits two threes and a nice pull up midrange...and at the 5 minute mark Fran sits him for 6 or 7 minutes. What the hell. He was on fire...and he didn't look winded...there were several stoppages in play early in the game.

I know Jordan hit some big threes in this game...but I would love to see Fran put his most athletic team on the court for a stretch of 6-7 minutes. Toussaint, Ulis, Perkins, and the two Murrays (or Rebraca for Kris). Here's the thing. These guys are excellent defensive players. Having two point guards in the game who can penetrate and score at the rim is also important. They both can create for others.

But the most important thing is that these guys create turnovers, and they get to loose balls. Watch...when Connor and Jbo are in the game...we lose the 50/50 balls and rebounds. This has always been the issue with Iowa against elite teams...we can't get to loose balls and can't match physicality and speed.

This is the first team Fran has had that can defend in a man to man situation on the perimeter...but it's not with JBo in the game. Every team we play man against...just attacks him relentlessly. We now double quickly when they inevitably try to take him down low. That's smart...but let's just try our quickest and most physical team for awhile.

You must not read any of the other threads if you are wondering if others question Fran’s line ups and substitution patterns.

I hate to be THAT guy but Pat also dealt with something that affected his body in a big time way. And obviously it still does but to a lesser degree. His body is still transforming and sometimes I think he forgets or hasn’t adjusted to the fact that his body is no longer super frail. Hence the fade away shots and the lack of rebounding for a “long” 6’9” player.
I agree. I also don't know that people understand that Patrick's body might not be like everyone else's even now. I don't know that his treatment involved thyroid removal or not but it will affect him physically to a degree for the rest of his life. I don't know that Fran is really doing anyone including Patrick any favors by playing him 30+ in games. Towards the end of those games he looks like he's struggling physically. Normally excellent at the line, he's also been missing late game free throws and fatigue can play a huge part in that as well. The team certainly doesn't need Patrick playing 30+.

Maybe he knows the stamina limits of his players better than you or any fans? Whether they are having other issues, etc.? Otherwise I have no idea why he wouldn't just ride a player until he drops.

;)

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT