ADVERTISEMENT

I’m swimming in the Kool-aid

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016
Oh god this is not good. LOVED the defensive effort from this team tonight. This might be the best defensive team Fran has ever had.

Perkins is a fantastic 2 way player, Kris is a star, Rebraca is the ultimate role player, Ulis is a reliable Guard that EXCELS on defense, Sandfort will be inconsistent but he will have his gun games, Connor is Connor, Patrick is a good #3 guy, and Fran kept to a short bench!

jizz in my pants GIF

LOVED the defensive effort from this team tonight. This might be the best defensive team Fran has ever had.
^This is why you should be (cautiously) optimistic. Iowa finally has the athletes to compete on both ends of the floor.

This team deserves to be supported. Love the energy, passion, and aggression on both ends. I really hope it will translate into success in March, but credit Fran for putting this team together no matter what.

Oh god this is not good. LOVED the defensive effort from this team tonight. This might be the best defensive team Fran has ever had.

Perkins is a fantastic 2 way player, Kris is a star, Rebraca is the ultimate role player, Ulis is a reliable Guard that EXCELS on defense, Sandfort will be inconsistent but he will have his gun games, Connor is Connor, Patrick is a good #3 guy, and Fran kept to a short bench!
Agree we played good defense most of the night. The first 10 minutes of the 2nd half was not good. We go down a notch when Rebraca is out. Stats may not show it but Conner played very well tonight.

I won't mention any names, but our guard court is so much better defensively, and that has been the missing piece the past few years.

Two questions remain: Will we be able to defend traditional big men? Can we hold our own on the boards?

If we find a way to solve those riddles, this team may have a higher ceiling than last year.

I won't mention any names, but our guard court is so much better defensively, and that has been the missing piece the past few years.

Two questions remain: Will we be able to defend traditional big men? Can we hold our own on the boards?

If we find a way to solve those riddles, this team may have a higher ceiling than last year.
Luckily outside of the big ten there aren't a huge cavalry of teams with true centers. Matchups will dictate how far this team can go. (Said every prognosticator ever)

Yup, just when I always feel like I can distance myself from Iowa hoops, they go and start playing so well! Dang it.

Oh well, what else am I gonna do all winter besides root for the Hawks?

Al Pacino GIF

I would actually say that Connor isn’t just Connor; he’s Connor with a jumper. He only had one three tonight but it was basically a dagger. He’s picking his spots well and defenses are going to have to respect him which is really big for our offense when he’s on the court

That was a great win from the beginning right to the end. One of most impressive games I've seen out of Iowa a long time. Not once did that team have a chance of getting ahead of Iowa.

Last edited:
What happens when you throw some bread in that Kool-aid and let it sit for 2 weeks?
You get drunk and hung over at the same time cuz you just drank some prison wine, "Rook". According to my dad.

family-guy-brian-griffin.gif

Easier to have a short bench when your games are 5 or more days apart.

That was a great win from the beginning right to the end. One of most impressive games I've seen out of Iowa a long time. Not once did that team have a chance of getting ahead of Iowa.
Well being down 2-10 wasn't a great start, BUT we recovered quickly......

Pass that jug over here! I choose to believe that we’re gonna win and keep winning. It’s just more fun that way.
Team is fun to watch. It's fine to be invested in this team, they play unselfishly and have an element of toughness. It's Iowa basketball, so in the back of my mind I know there is a great chance of heartache at the end, but so what? Enjoy the process, as they say. And last year's team really played some serious basketball down the stretch, weekend at Big 10 tournament was a whole lot of fun.

From having seen some of the other Big 10 teams so far, I don't see the Hawks having enough to break that regular season conference title drought, but I will sure enjoy watching this team compete all year.

Reactions: 1911_Bandit
My only complaint about Perkins (well 2 actually) is he too often drives to the hoop and looks for contact when he could dish off to someone under the basket wide open. I am not on board with his 3 pt shot yet either. Agree he does bring fire and aggressiveness.

I would actually say that Connor isn’t just Connor; he’s Connor with a jumper. He only had one three tonight but it was basically a dagger. He’s picking his spots well and defenses are going to have to respect him which is really big for our offense when he’s on the court

I thought Connor's defense last night was great,.. Multiple stripped balls under the net and always providing direction..

Solid performance on the road early. Shook off the slow start then turned back shu every time they threatened. I was waiting for one of those times the lead got cut to 5 for the game to go the other way. But nope, they didn't wilt.
shu did their part with poor discipline on O and a multitude of dumb mistakes. But the Hawks D was overall solid. They looked as good on D as they have in some time. Very encouraging they did it this early in the year.

Looks like CMAC with double team help will be the backup center when Rebraca is out...CMAC with a consistent 3pt shot so he doesn't get left unguarded is a big change. Things could change, but doesn't look like we will see much Josh or Mulvey this year other than vs teams with giants like Purdue.

The last few years, we've had a second team come in that could score. We don't have that at all. Nobody will be complaining that Fran is playing too many guys this year, and any foul trouble could be problems

The last few years, we've had a second team come in that could score. We don't have that at all. Nobody will be complaining that Fran is playing too many guys this year, and any foul trouble could be problems
Right now, you are mostly correct.

But its way too early to state that it will be the case all season long.

Reactions: nu2u
Looks like CMAC with double team help will be the backup center when Rebraca is out...CMAC with a consistent 3pt shot so he doesn't get left unguarded is a big change. Things could change, but doesn't look like we will see much Josh or Mulvey this year other than vs teams with giants like Purdue.
That was one area Iowa was pretty susceptible last night - when Rebraca came out of the game and Connor was left playing the bottom middle of the zone. Rebounding suffered quite a bit. It worked well enough against a smaller Seton Hall team, but could be a problem against teams with taller backup big men

The 3 Conner hit also came at a crucial time in the game. He is a great piece coming off the bench and we can use him so many different ways, not to mention he is like another coach on the floor which helps the younger guys especially.

Agreed OP. Great defensive effort and finally have a perimeter D that isn't glaringly lacking in spots. I think we will still struggle on the boards but will probably be quicker in the post than most other teams.

I think we really missed Bohannon's defense last night...seeing how he would lure offensive players to the basket by pounding it down through him...genius.

Any win on the road is big. Seton Hall played good pressure defense but their physicality put Iowa to the line and we delivered.

I still have concerns when we go up against some of the bigs in the BIG. That said, we played better defense than in the past and won by 16.

I am cautiously optimistic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT