ADVERTISEMENT

Convince Me that Brian Ferentz isn’t the Problem…

Our first 6 games of this year, as noted by nearly every announcer was due to our defense. We had the usual "1 fluke" game on offense vs Maryland this year (still aided heavily by our D).

BF is not the answer if you want to have a team that can compete year-in-year-out for a BIG, let alone an actual shot at a CFP. It will take an entire coaching shift to make it happen as it will not happen under KF.
Does this magical coaching staff or shift actually exist or are folks suggesting we repeat the process we went through with Tom Davis in basketball? The basketball program while not terrible has yet to return to the level we had while Dr. Tom was the coach. On top of that I would argue it is easier to have a basketball team have a breakthrough year than it is for football.

Turnover on the OL and DL has been significant and constant the last few years. At some point the check comes due and we see the impact on the field. So far we are seeing this on the OL and while the step down hasn’t been as noticeable on the DL it is still there.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
The way I see it, as long as Barta runs the AD, nothing outside of the apocolypse, will get kirkie outta his cushy gig, until retirement.
He’s under no pressure to win, as long as the flow of stupid money continues to flow from multiple sources.
23 years as HC, two B10 titles in 02 and 04, and a west title in 15. That long on the job, you would expect kirkie to contend for more titles than he has,especially this far into it, and by now, a legitimate recruting pipeline to I.C.
But no, the Fat Cat continues to grow fatter.
The whole football regime needs an enema.

The way I see it, as long as Barta runs the AD, nothing outside of the apocolypse, will get kirkie outta his cushy gig, until retirement.
He’s under no pressure to win, as long as the flow of stupid money continues to flow from multiple sources.
23 years as HC, two B10 titles in 02 and 04, and a west title in 15. That long on the job, you would expect kirkie to contend for more titles than he has,especially this far into it, and by now, a legitimate recruting pipeline to I.C.
But no, the Fat Cat continues to grow fatter.
The whole football regime needs an enema.
Go cheer on the clowns then. They seem to know exactly how to hire/fire coaches. Or have them leave because they can stand cry baby Jamie.

Go cheer on the clowns then. They seem to know exactly how to hire/fire coaches. Or have them leave because they can stand cry baby Jamie.
Some of you guys REALLY need to get over the love it or leave it shit. One of the few things this program has always had is great fan support. If the fans go away we will turn Into illinois fast.

There is a department in the orgainization that has consistently under performed and they are bottom of the barrel again this year. If you dont think criticism is warranted you don't actually believe in accountability.

Some of you guys REALLY need to get over the love it or leave it shit. One of the few things this program has always had is great fan support. If the fans go away we will turn Into illinois fast.

There is a department in the orgainization that has consistently under performed and they are bottom of the barrel again this year. If you dont think criticism is warranted you don't actually believe in accountability.
There is a massive difference between accountability and firing a coach because someone feels they know better. Does anyone of this board know the expectations of the football coaches and can say with specificity that they are under performing?

Oh and by the way, when a so call “Iowa fan” posts like a clown fan they shouldn’t be surprised when they are called on it.

There is a massive difference between accountability and firing a coach because someone feels they know better. Does anyone of this board know the expectations of the football coaches and can say with specificity that they are under performing?

Oh and by the way, when a so call “Iowa fan” posts like a clown fan they shouldn’t be surprised when they are called on it.
I would say Brian is underperforming. But I am only going by the product on the field.

Give Petras a line of Gallery, Steinbeck, Lightfoot, Porter and Nelson with Brown, Jones, Hinkel receiving and Russel/Lewis running and he would be juuuust fine.

I understand what I'm about to ask you is simply an opinion question. How many years of under performance without change equals lack of accountability?

It could very well be that KF thinks what this offense is producing year after year is what he is looking for, in that case he is wrong. I know "12 in a row", to which I will respond 1 division title in 5 years and 2 conference titles in 2 decades, maybe he needs to reevaluate what it is he is looking for.

Give Petras a line of Gallery, Steinbeck, Lightfoot, Porter and Nelson with Brown, Jones, Hinkel receiving and Russel/Lewis running and he would be juuuust fine.
I'm pretty sure you could say that about any QB good enough to get school paid for. Fwiw. Not even Alabama gets to hand pick lines like that.

In my opinion, If a prime Chuck Long played for this year's team, we'd be undefeated right now and people would be lauding how good the offense has performed. He was a once in a generation level QB at Iowa. You could throw Brad Banks in with this offense and the same would be true.

Petras is simply an average QB at best and putting him behind an inexperienced OL that isn't playing that well is a recipe for offensive woes. They are doing what they can to try to scheme for the OL and QB issues but you can only do so much.

That's why I really disagree with those saying our offensive philosophy is what is holding us back this year. It's the personnel, not the scheme.

What a lame ass argument.

First, we don't have those talents. Why? Because we weren't able to recruit talents like that so that's on the coaches.

Second, it isn't just about a "needing top tier talent" thing. Schematically we are predictable and lack imagination.

Reactions: pink shizzle
I understand what I'm about to ask you is simply an opinion question. How many years of under performance without change equals lack of accountability?

It could very well be that KF thinks what this offense is producing year after year is what he is looking for, in that case he is wrong. I know "12 in a row", to which I will respond 1 division title in 5 years and 2 conference titles in 2 decades, maybe he needs to reevaluate what it is he is looking for.
Who gets to determine what is under performance? Is this defined somewhere where we all can see it and can agree that the current performance is an over or under achievement or does this live in the eyes of the beholder?

Who gets to determine what is under performance? Is this defined somewhere where we all can see it and can agree that the current performance is an over or under achievement or does this live in the eyes of the beholder?
Don't focus on the metrics. Assuming "you" acknowledge something is under performing how many years does this need to continue before you acknowledge a lack of accountability?

I am not assuming there is under or over performance and have no way to judge that without having the agreed upon “metrics” set in advance.

Until agreed upon metrics are set in advance over or under performance is in the eye of the beholder.

I am not assuming there is under or over performance and have no way to judge that without having the agreed upon “metrics” set in advance.

Until agreed upon metrics are set in advance over or under performance is in the eye of the beholder.
Bob is a sales person. Bob generally sells enough product to place him in the bottom 25% of a company performance evaluation. (Company has roughly 122 employees) 1 time in 5 years Bob has performed in the 25-50% quartile. How many years of said performance should happen, without performance management, before it becomes a lack of accountability issue?

Bob is a sales person. Bob generally sells enough product to place him in the bottom 25% of a company performance evaluation. (Company has roughly 122 employees) 1 time in 5 years Bob has performed in the 25-50% quartile. How many years of said performance should happen, without performance management, before it becomes a lack of accountability issue?
The question isn’t for me but the company Bob works for. Does the company in your example value the metrics the way you have laid and only those metrics, or is there something else that Bob does that renders those metrics meaningless?

Again performance of an individual performer can’t effectively be judged unless you know the way the employer values the contributions of the performer. Have they set clear expectations of performance and how that performance is measured?

Since I don’t know how any of the current coaches have their performance measured or defined I can’t effectively judge whether or not they have performed at, over or below expectations.

The question isn’t for me but the company Bob works for. Does the company in your example value the metrics the way you have laid and only those metrics, or is there something else that Bob does that renders those metrics meaningless?

Again performance of an individual performer can’t effectively be judged unless you know the way the employer values the contributions of the performer. Have they set clear expectations of performance and how that performance is measured?

Since I don’t know how any of the current coaches have their performance measured or defined I can’t effectively judge whether or not they have performed at, over or below expectations.
Alright man. It's clear you don't want to answer. Have a good day.

Is Bob selling a product that it's an easy sell and is he stuck in a state with few clients and a history of lack of sales?

You just hand picked arguably the best line in kFs tenure. That's hand picking.
You just hand picked arguably the best line in kFs tenure. That's hand picking.
Man you are dense. That IS the starting line BB operated behind. The comparisons of BB performance versus Petras is absurd without that context. But then again, context is not your thing. Endless haranguing seems to be your pitiful existence, well documented as it is on this board. Almost entirely to its detriment as is obvious to most that arent infected with Hawkeye derangement syndrome. Carry on, Im sure you will..

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
Man you are dense. That IS the starting line BB operated behind. The comparisons of BB performance versus Petras is absurd without that context. But then again, context is not your thing. Endless haranguing seems to be your pitiful existence, well documented as it is on this board. Almost entirely to its detriment as is obvious to most that arent infected with Hawkeye derangement syndrome. Carry on, Im sure you will..
Well said. Whiskey at this point is arguably the worst poster around. Just shut the fu$$ up man.

Whiskey is far from the worst. Unless your standards for being good mean being a total homer. 🙄
Not at all. He does nothing but bitch with zero solutions except firing the coaches. And guess what? We aren’t doing that. I’m far from an Iowa homer, and I’m not a big fan of Brian either, but we have a track record of how we do things. And I don’t like it all the time either. But yes, when was the last time Iowa won 12 games in a row? Made it to number 2 in the polls? Mix in a little positive once in awhile.

Going to disagree a little bit here. Besides the Orange Bowl year w/Banks, when we had 3-4 NFL linemen, plus (for Iowa) very good skill position players, our O line has never dominated in the run game. We put tons of linemen in the pros, but consistently rank middle of the pack of just the Big Ten in rushing. Not the country, the Big Ten. Yes, besides Lindebaum this o line might be the worst since Ferentz got here. However, if you know that, do you keep doing the same thing you have always done? We knew at some point our offense was going to have to win us a game this year and they couldn't. Not going to pin the entire game on the offense as our defense couldn't get off the field the entire 2nd half.
I do agree that Iowa's run game looks worse than it should considering the amount of lineman we put into the NFL. I haven't looked it up but would be interested to know where Iowa has ranked in the BIG10 over the last decade in relation to YPC. I think YPC is more indicative than yards per game of how good a run game is. Iowa doesn't go up tempo and I think this limits their yardage per game total and as such makes it appear that the run game isn't that great in relation to others in the conference. That said, the running game this year is not good by a long shot.

EL OH EL.
And if we had Barry Sanders we could play with this line but we don't get to hand pick shit like that.

Not at all. He does nothing but bitch with zero solutions except firing the coaches. And guess what? We aren’t doing that. I’m far from an Iowa homer, and I’m not a big fan of Brian either, but we have a track record of how we do things. And I don’t like it all the time either. But yes, when was the last time Iowa won 12 games in a row? Made it to number 2 in the polls? Mix in a little positive once in awhile.
Are you familiar with conformation bias? You might want to look into my history a little more. I'm certainly critical but I give credit where it is due. Change your pants.

• Haha
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Does this magical coaching staff or shift actually exist or are folks suggesting we repeat the process we went through with Tom Davis in basketball? The basketball program while not terrible has yet to return to the level we had while Dr. Tom was the coach. On top of that I would argue it is easier to have a basketball team have a breakthrough year than it is for football.

Turnover on the OL and DL has been significant and constant the last few years. At some point the check comes due and we see the impact on the field. So far we are seeing this on the OL and while the step down hasn’t been as noticeable on the DL it is still there.
It's going to happen at some point as KF will eventually retire - why wait until it's too late (like with HF)? Many good coaches available (MUCH better than BF) are there and would love the opportunity at a P5 school, and they have cut their teeth at other D1 schools to prove it.

I agree this occurs when KF hangs it up and you bring in a new staff altogether.

Making a change in any of the coordinator positions prior to that, will still be under the constraint that they run things within the KF system so I am not sure you really gain anything by making a change at this point. Now if someone leaves on their own then it becomes a different question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT