ADVERTISEMENT

Convince Me that Brian Ferentz isn’t the Problem…

This thread has legendary status potential, especially if the offense craps the bed a few more times this year. Lets hope the bye week leads to some improvement offensively.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
I get tired of the excuse that we don’t have wr’s that separate. That is a scheme issue as the combine numbers show us have several wr’s that have run 4.4’s. You can watch tons of games on Saturdays that show wr’s from low tier teams getting separation on DB’s from higher tier conferences. I don’t know how our passing game in terms of routes and such compare with other programs, but how many years is it that announcers say our guys wr’s don’t get separation? That is an issue of scheme, not talent.
Spot in. We have a wr averaging 32 ypc. I’d say he must be getting some separation. Problem is he sees the field 15% of the snaps and has a grand total of 9 targets through 7 games. A coach needs to put his best guys in position to make plays.

It's almost like the issue is the difficulty in recruiting skilled positions on offense to a place like Iowa. Hmm...I wonder why that is. Oh right, we have none in state and no history of offensive fire power.

You will never get the skilled players to be an offensive juggernaut at Iowa. Can they be better than this on offense? Absolutely! But it isn't the schemes or play calling.
Its nothing like that because Iowa has had good skill players and good lineman and still can't even run the ball effectively.

Its nothing like that because Iowa has had good skill players and good lineman and still can't even run the ball effectively.
Our offensive line isn't good enough. An elite QB or RB might be able to overcome that but we don't have either.

Goodson is a good running back and would be borderline great with a good offensive line.

Reactions: mlb1399
Our offensive line isn't good enough. An elite QB or RB might be able to overcome that but we don't have either.

Goodson is a good running back and would be borderline great with a good offensive line.
Agreed. But that goes against your theory.

We have better skill players than lineman and the individual lineman are better than the sum of their parts.

Reactions: littlez
Agreed. But that goes against your theory.

We have better skill players than lineman and the individual lineman are better than the sum of their parts.
Your claim was that we have had bad offense under all Ferentz teams. I agree with you but it isn't due to Ferentz. It's because we generally have a fantastic offensive line and weak skill position players.

This year we have weak skill position players aside from the RB and a weak offensive line. That's the difference. The defense has just been so fantastic that we have been able to win in spite of an even worse than average Ferentz offense.

It's an anomaly having a bad OL. They'll be good next year and great the year after while the skilled positions will remain about the same. (Possible uptick with a legacy recruit and in state recruits better than normal)

By the way, that's what Iowa needs to win a championship. A perfect storm where they get their usual great linemen but there happen to be great in state skilled players for a change and they choose Iowa.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Your claim was that we have had bad offense under all Ferentz teams. I agree with you but it isn't due to Ferentz. It's because we generally have a fantastic offensive line and weak skill position players.

This year we have weak skill position players aside from the RB and a weak offensive line. That's the difference. The defense has just been so fantastic that we have been able to win in spite of an even worse than average Ferentz offense.

It's an anomaly having a bad OL. They'll be good next year and great the year after while the skilled positions will remain about the same. (Possible uptick with a legacy recruit and in state recruits better than normal)

By the way, that's what Iowa needs to win a championship. A perfect storm where they get their usual great linemen but there happen to be great in state skilled players for a change and they choose Iowa.
Going to disagree a little bit here. Besides the Orange Bowl year w/Banks, when we had 3-4 NFL linemen, plus (for Iowa) very good skill position players, our O line has never dominated in the run game. We put tons of linemen in the pros, but consistently rank middle of the pack of just the Big Ten in rushing. Not the country, the Big Ten. Yes, besides Lindebaum this o line might be the worst since Ferentz got here. However, if you know that, do you keep doing the same thing you have always done? We knew at some point our offense was going to have to win us a game this year and they couldn't. Not going to pin the entire game on the offense as our defense couldn't get off the field the entire 2nd half.

Reactions: steve malkmus
We knew at some point our offense was going to have to win us a game this year and they couldn't. Not going to pin the entire game on the offense as our defense couldn't get off the field the entire 2nd half.
Agree. The best part of having a much more productive offense is them having the ability to step up and rescue us on a day when the defense wasn't at their best-- like on Saturday. The offense just didn't have the firepower to do that. Our biggest fear about the offense was realized Saturday.

Reactions: mlb1399 and amahawk
This thread has legendary status potential, especially if the offense craps the bed a few more times this year. Lets hope the bye week leads to some improvement offensively.
I bet we see more zone stretch runs to the short side and some 3yd patterns on 3rd and 8 as "new" after the bye week...

If anyone thinks this offense is going to change as long as KF is here, you must be balls deep in Narcan stock as you are smoking crack.

Going to disagree a little bit here. Besides the Orange Bowl year w/Banks, when we had 3-4 NFL linemen, plus (for Iowa) very good skill position players, our O line has never dominated in the run game. We put tons of linemen in the pros, but consistently rank middle of the pack of just the Big Ten in rushing. Not the country, the Big Ten. Yes, besides Lindebaum this o line might be the worst since Ferentz got here. However, if you know that, do you keep doing the same thing you have always done? We knew at some point our offense was going to have to win us a game this year and they couldn't. Not going to pin the entire game on the offense as our defense couldn't get off the field the entire 2nd half.
I find this very interesting.

Iowa has a reputation for producing offensive lineman that make it to the NFL. That seems to be true. But it also seems to be true that Iowa doesn't routinely produce outstanding O-lines overall. This year it really stands out as the contrast is so blindingly stark. Linderbaum is widely regarded as the best center in college football. He will almost surely be 1st team all B1G, most probably be a first team AA and the odds on favorite to win the Rimington award. Contrast that with maybe the worst performance at both tackle spots that they've had in a long time and not much to write home about at guard.
This year looks like the prototypical example of great individual O-lineman from Iowa without much positive to say about the O-line as a unit.

We have all the trophy game trophies in our trophy case. He's beaten a number of ranked teams. I don't believe he's lost a bowl game as OC, and we've scored 27+ points in each of those bowl games. He's never lost to Minnesota, Nebraska, or Iowa State as an OC.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
It's almost like the issue is the difficulty in recruiting skilled positions on offense to a place like Iowa. Hmm...I wonder why that is. Oh right, we have none in state and no history of offensive fire power.

You will never get the skilled players to be an offensive juggernaut at Iowa. Can they be better than this on offense? Absolutely! But it isn't the schemes or play calling.
We are just little old Iowa. Shucks.

We are a member of the b10, we have great history, great fan support, a nationally recognized great tradition..... but awe shucks.

We have all the trophy game trophies in our trophy case. He's beaten a number of ranked teams. I don't believe he's lost a bowl game as OC, and we've scored 27+ points in each of those bowl games. He's never lost to Minnesota, Nebraska, or Iowa State as an OC.
And we are probably not going to the Big 10 Championship game again. What’s your point?

We are just little old Iowa. Shucks.

We are a member of the b10, we have great history, great fan support, a nationally recognized great tradition..... but awe shucks.
We do have all those things. If we were located in a recruiting hot spot, that would lead to championships. We aren't so it won't.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze

Agree with having a bad OL this year but disagree about the skill players. LaPorta is a very good TE and will play in the NFL. Just by looking at Johnson and his limited touches I can tell he’s the best WR Ferentz has ever recruited. Kid can burn guys deep and has the strength to break tackles on shorter passes for big gains.

Iowa WR’s have generally been good at one of those but not both. Bruce Is also one of the better WR Ferentz has recruited. They are IMO two of the top 3 receives on the Iowa team right now. They only play about a quarter of the snaps or less in a game and seldom are on the field together. Not saying Iowa would be a juggernaut with them playing more but the offense would improve.

The problem with the Iowa fanbase is there is circular reasoning and zero accountability because of it.

It isn't Brian's fault because petras would throw the ball over the ****ing broad side of the barn.

It isn't petras because the line sucks.

It isn't the line because the play calling isn't helping them.

Suddenly no one actually has to answer for why this team is dogshit on offense.

"That's football"

We had won 12 games in a row prior to Saturday.
Our first 6 games of this year, as noted by nearly every announcer was due to our defense. We had the usual "1 fluke" game on offense vs Maryland this year (still aided heavily by our D).

BF is not the answer if you want to have a team that can compete year-in-year-out for a BIG, let alone an actual shot at a CFP. It will take an entire coaching shift to make it happen as it will not happen under KF.

Reactions: IAHUNTER and Dargo
Agree with having a bad OL this year but disagree about the skill players. LaPorta is a very good TE and will play in the NFL. Just by looking at Johnson and his limited touches I can tell he’s the best WR Ferentz has ever recruited. Kid can burn guys deep and has the strength to break tackles on shorter passes for big gains.

Iowa WR’s have generally been good at one of those but not both. Bruce Is also one of the better WR Ferentz has recruited. They are IMO two of the top 3 receives on the Iowa team right now. They only play about a quarter of the snaps or less in a game and seldom are on the field together. Not saying Iowa would be a juggernaut with them playing more but the offense would improve.
Correct and those two are coming on the heels of two pretty good receivers in the Smiths. Iowa also had the 1st team all conference RB last year and his back up made an nfl squad.

Iowa doesn't struggle to get skill players or lineman or good players in general besides QB.

They struggle to play offense well because of scheme and ideology.

Ferentz is great at identifying talent besides QB and teaching it fundamentals.

Hes not good at implementing offense. Never has been never will be.

The coordinator changes the results stay the same.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Correct and those two are coming on the heels of two pretty good receivers in the Smiths. Iowa also had the 1st team all conference RB last year and his back up made an nfl squad.

Iowa doesn't struggle to get skill players or lineman or good players in general besides QB.

They struggle to play offense well because of scheme and ideology.

Ferentz is great at identifying talent besides QB and teaching it fundamentals.

Hes not good at implementing offense. Never has been never will be.

The coordinator changes the results stay the same.

So playing devils advocate, if Kirk is the 1 holding back our offense, are we happy with what goes on with our defense? Do we think he tells Phil how he wants things done? Or just hovers over Brian? I don’t figure Brian for a yes man for anyone, including his dad. Just my opinion.

I find this very interesting.

Iowa has a reputation for producing offensive lineman that make it to the NFL. That seems to be true. But it also seems to be true that Iowa doesn't routinely produce outstanding O-lines overall. This year it really stands out as the contrast is so blindingly stark. Linderbaum is widely regarded as the best center in college football. He will almost surely be 1st team all B1G, most probably be a first team AA and the odds on favorite to win the Rimington award. Contrast that with maybe the worst performance at both tackle spots that they've had in a long time and not much to write home about at guard.
This year looks like the prototypical example of great individual O-lineman from Iowa without much positive to say about the O-line as a unit.
we haven't had an elite O line since BF took over.

it's no coincidence

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Kirk is the head coach, and there is definitely a Kirk Style. I don't think it matters who the OC is...the O will always have the same scheme and same style of players.
The real wild card is when we have a QB who excels at ad-libbing like Drew Tate, or making first downs with his legs like Brad Banks. These are pure windfalls that make the scheme look better than it is.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
So playing devils advocate, if Kirk is the 1 holding back our offense, are we happy with what goes on with our defense? Do we think he tells Phil how he wants things done? Or just hovers over Brian? I don’t figure Brian for a yes man for anyone, including his dad. Just my opinion.
I think there's a specific running scheme thats always been basically the same with mostly the same formations and concepts since the beginning.

A general philosophy of play action passing and drop backs vs shotgun.

Yes I'm pretty sure he tells his coordinators what he wants but probably also gives them some leway.

KFs program has basically been the same since the beginning so I assume he maintains a high level of input everywhere.

Sorry in advance if this has already been discussed... but what has been the issue with bad Oline the last couple years?

I know IowasLaw had a thread about it being bad recruiting in 2017/2018 that are biting us. I haven't followed recruiting enough to agree or deny. I know our last recruiting class was good. So maybe it will take a few years from this point minus any early exits?

Is it coaching? Change in blocking scheme? It seems like blocking techniue is the same as its almost been...but when it comes to oline I'm more of a casual viewer rather than an expert on scheme, etc.

And to think there are (or were) fans that want Brian to take over when Kirk retires.

We do have all those things. If we were located in a recruiting hot spot, that would lead to championships. We aren't so it won't.
Wisconsin and NW are located in recruiting hot spots? I think an Iowa wrestler had a good quote about excuses... All I want is to win the west more than once a decade which should be very doable with a solid to great defense most years and even an average offense. Iowa doesn't have the latter and if Iowa misses out on the west again it will be because of Kirk's inept offense. The offense is dogshit this year, period. I hope it gets better but won't be holding my breath

Reactions: RocknRollface
Wisconsin and NW are located in recruiting hot spots? I think an Iowa wrestler had a good quote about excuses... All I want is to win the west more than once a decade which should be very doable with a solid to great defense most years and even an average offense. Iowa doesn't have the latter and if Iowa misses out on the west again it will be because of Kirk's inept offense. The offense is dogshit this year, period. I hope it gets better but won't be holding my breath
The B1G Ten West is also dog shit this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT