ADVERTISEMENT

Convince Me that Brian Ferentz isn’t the Problem…

What ledge? I’ve been saying this forever.

step-back.gif

I watch a lot of football and I think Brian does an ok job.
Their guy is supposed to be a hot commodity and besides a couple big plays their offense wasn’t overwhelming.
Its more about the Joe’s,,,,we don’t have receivers that seperate.

With that said, I am not an expert but I don’t know how sound our passing scheme is..I would assume with Brian being around New England as long has he has they have some solid concepts.
I get tired of the excuse that we don’t have wr’s that separate. That is a scheme issue as the combine numbers show us have several wr’s that have run 4.4’s. You can watch tons of games on Saturdays that show wr’s from low tier teams getting separation on DB’s from higher tier conferences. I don’t know how our passing game in terms of routes and such compare with other programs, but how many years is it that announcers say our guys wr’s don’t get separation? That is an issue of scheme, not talent.

Brian won 12 games in a row with Spencer Petras as QB. That ain't frickin' easy.

you can put an asterisk in the covid season.

Whoever's idea it was to recruit Petras and then to make him the starter and keep him as the starter---that is the guy I have a beef with. I think KF is big player in this because he was same guy that stuck with Vandenburg and Christensen.

We probably have the worst offense of all the Power 5 teams. Might be better than Kansas, but it’s bad. Like Black and Gold said, our defense had won 12 games in a row. Our offense was along for the ride. It’s time for Brian to take the kid gloves off of Spencer and see what he can do. Yes, our pass blocking is poor. Stop putting your QB in shotgun 25 times a game because he can’t move. Move the pocket, do something but what we are doing is clearly not working but we don’t change anything. Johnson makes a big play on the opening drive and then hardly plays. How many touches for Bruce? How many passes in space to Goodson? It’s terrible.

I get that. This is not a great offense but everyone oveeracts to everything. The QB sucks, the oline sucks, fire the offensive coordinator.... Your first post after Iowa dominates a 9th straight opponent with probably their best offensive showing this year is to bitch about Brian's offense. This offense can and will do more but right now the defense and special teams are running things. Everyone downplays the significance of zero interceptions. Iowa won their first 2 games this year primarily because of better ball security than their opponents. Petras has turned the ball over 2 times in the last 9 games and zero times in the last 5. Combine that with dominant defense and that's called winning football.
Good God man, your note is the OVERREACTION! And your facts are incorrect about Petras' turnovers.

Iowa is never going to have a huge offense under Kirk's philosophy. Even with the mobility of Brad Banks and Drew Tate at QB they didn't. I like how Kirk sees the offensive side of the game. Slow things down. Hang on the the ball. Establish the run. If points aren't scored, gain enough first downs to pin your opponent deep in their territory. I like how Kirk does offense because when it works, which is has a lot lately, it gives the defense a long field and time to rest between drives. That formula has won Kirk a shitload of games over the years.

Iowa is never going to have a huge offense under Kirk's philosophy. Even with the mobility of Brad Banks and Drew Tate at QB they didn't. I like how Kirk sees the offensive side of the game. Slow things down. Hang on the the ball. Establish the run. If points aren't scored, gain enough first downs to pin your opponent deep in their territory. I like how Kirk does offense because when it works, which is has a lot lately, it gives the defense a long field and time to rest between drives. That formula has won Kirk a shitload of games over the years.
That would be fine if we could establish the run. We can’t and we don’t. We don’t stick with anything. We are terrible at running the football. Even with good linemen we were mediocre at it. What are we good at on offense? At some point you have to find an identity.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
That would be fine if we could establish the run. We can’t and we don’t. We don’t stick with anything. We are terrible at running the football. Even with good linemen we were mediocre at it. What are we good at on offense? At some point you have to find an identity.
These are my thoughts as well. Establishing a run game would go a long way. Look what happened against Purdue when Goodson was busting off at least 5 yards a carry on the only TD drive. The offense looked great that series and felt like Iowa controlled the clock and did everything it wanted

Good God man, your note is the OVERREACTION! And your facts are incorrect about Petras' turnovers. Did you just wake up from a coma?
Dude congratulations! I'm so glad that you woke up from that coma that you've been in for the past 2 weeks!

Goodson has done pretty well at Iowa. So have many backs under Ferentz.

In the Brad Banks year Iowa ranked #7 in scoring offense, #13 in total offense at 424 ypg, and #17 in rushing offense.

I get tired of the excuse that we don’t have wr’s that separate. That is a scheme issue as the combine numbers show us have several wr’s that have run 4.4’s. You can watch tons of games on Saturdays that show wr’s from low tier teams getting separation on DB’s from higher tier conferences. I don’t know how our passing game in terms of routes and such compare with other programs, but how many years is it that announcers say our guys wr’s don’t get separation? That is an issue of scheme, not talent.
This x 1000 Our routes and route trees are pitiful. And that's just part of our scheme deficiency.

Reactions: wxhawk
I am taking a hypothetical sh*t all over this paragraph you’ve just created.

Reactions: blhawk and littlez
We probably have the worst offense of all the Power 5 teams. Might be better than Kansas, but it’s bad. Like Black and Gold said, our defense had won 12 games in a row. Our offense was along for the ride. It’s time for Brian to take the kid gloves off of Spencer and see what he can do. Yes, our pass blocking is poor. Stop putting your QB in shotgun 25 times a game because he can’t move. Move the pocket, do something but what we are doing is clearly not working but we don’t change anything. Johnson makes a big play on the opening drive and then hardly plays. How many touches for Bruce? How many passes in space to Goodson? It’s terrible.
I rarely agree with you but it looks like you are finally seeing the light.

That would be fine if we could establish the run. We can’t and we don’t. We don’t stick with anything. We are terrible at running the football. Even with good linemen we were mediocre at it. What are we good at on offense? At some point you have to find an OC.
FIFY

Post those stats. I'd like to see them!
I am not going to look up the stats for you but that 2002 Iowa team was amazing offensively. If you are doubting then clearly you weren't even following the program back then which I'm guessing is the case. They had an amazing OL, future Pro Bowl TE, runner-up Heisman guy at QB, damn good RB in Fred Russell, and WRs like Hinkle, CJ Jones, and Mo Brown. Hard not to rack up huge numbers with guys like these.

What was your opinion of Iowa's record through seven games this season?
That we are 6-1, had a horrible offense that would bite us in the ass at some point (which it did), and that now instead of waltzing to the West title in a year the West is just bad, we now have no better shot than does Wisconsin or Minnesota.

Reactions: pink shizzle
I don’t mind this either but this season has a trend that we’re too content just feeling the game out before doing anything. Weren’t able to get it rolling Saturday and it bit us. Not everything has to be set up for 2.5 quarters to be successful.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
The most prolific offense Iowa ever had featured two 'non-athletic' wide receivers from Cedar Rapids and Des Moines: Billy Happel and Scott Helverson. This is 100% a scheme problem.

Bad offense is a constant under KF with all of his OCs.
It's almost like the issue is the difficulty in recruiting skilled positions on offense to a place like Iowa. Hmm...I wonder why that is. Oh right, we have none in state and no history of offensive fire power.

You will never get the skilled players to be an offensive juggernaut at Iowa. Can they be better than this on offense? Absolutely! But it isn't the schemes or play calling.

C
Cant move the pocket if your quarterback can’t move with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT