ADVERTISEMENT

Convince Me that Brian Ferentz isn’t the Problem…

We've won 9 straight...we are firing on all cylinders, with Jimmy (schott) back, we have a real shot to do something.

I ain't changing nothing.

Reactions: moon11
This is the correct answer ... I just got done re-watching game. SP had about 5 bad throws, maybe 6 but overall a good day and progress was made. Lot of little things derailed the O today (some days it happens). An example was on the first drive a nice pass to #3 on a tunnel screen and he slipped or would have been a first down. Next drive an OL got flagged for a false start on 1st down so behind the chains already. On 3rd down on that drive it looked like Goodson wasn't in the right spot on the screen pass (or the OL were in the way ... great call, it looked like it was going to work, but somehow SP couldn't get the ball to TG). Another strange screw-up ... that wasn't a bad call by BF. So it goes ....

I suggest to the OP to re-watching the games so you can take emotion out of the equation ... you'll see so much more and understand what they may have been trying to do in a better light. BF generally has a good plan in place to complement what the defense will do ... he isn't perfect by any stretch, but he is solid and has had some great game plans (USC Bowl game, MN in 2019, OSU in 2017, etc. - 2020 all year was pretty damn good). It's easy to have 20/20 hind site as a fan but BF doesn't have that luxury, some of his stuff just doesn't work, he has to move on and try again ... overall I'm pretty happy with BF, obviously the OP is not. Maybe the OP can list the things he doesn't like???
People dont realize our offensive strategy is to play field position and no turnovers. At Iowa, a punt isnt a failure but a weapon. with our defense, we play a very low risk offensive. Brian's play calling reflect that strategy. There is a reason why we dont fling the ball down the field over 2o yards often.

People dont think Brian knows how to call plays but he is doing exactly what his boss wants him to do

This is the correct answer ... I just got done re-watching game. SP had about 5 bad throws, maybe 6 but overall a good day and progress was made. Lot of little things derailed the O today (some days it happens). An example was on the first drive a nice pass to #3 on a tunnel screen and he slipped or would have been a first down. Next drive an OL got flagged for a false start on 1st down so behind the chains already. On 3rd down on that drive it looked like Goodson wasn't in the right spot on the screen pass (or the OL were in the way ... great call, it looked like it was going to work, but somehow SP couldn't get the ball to TG). Another strange screw-up ... that wasn't a bad call by BF. So it goes ....

I suggest to the OP to re-watching the games so you can take emotion out of the equation ... you'll see so much more and understand what they may have been trying to do in a better light. BF generally has a good plan in place to complement what the defense will do ... he isn't perfect by any stretch, but he is solid and has had some great game plans (USC Bowl game, MN in 2019, OSU in 2017, etc. - 2020 all year was pretty damn good). It's easy to have 20/20 hind site as a fan but BF doesn't have that luxury, some of his stuff just doesn't work, he has to move on and try again ... overall I'm pretty happy with BF, obviously the OP is not. Maybe the OP can list the things he doesn't like???
Was at the game the only bad pass I can recall was Charlie Jones on the comeback. You could maybe nitpick on Keegan Johnson’s hitch route. Other than that I did not see anything egregious.

Reactions: j0nnyhb_Prime
I agree with others that the line is still trying to get some things figured out. They were starting to move people around yesterday and getting 4-5-6 yard chunks which was a welcome sight after the first few games. Hopefully once Schott is full-go things will continue to develop.

To OP's point, one thing BF will do that drives me nuts is call stretch plays to the short side of the field. Goodson clearly has big play ability if he can get out in space, so I'm not sure why we run plays where space is limited.

As for Petras, I don't think his ceiling is incredibly high, but at least his floor is going up. I'm as frustrated as anyone that he'll short hop a ball on a timing route or put the ball where the receiver can't do much with it, but to date he's not turning it over. When you have a weapon like Taylor and our defense, we don't need him to put up gaudy numbers. But it would be cool as hell if he did.

All in all, it's hard to be mad at 3-0 while still trying to figure things out and 2 wins over ranked teams in our pocket. I'll finish off with giving props to Terry Roberts. Normally a great special team guy, but showed out on defense and showed he belonged.

Tl;Dr - go hawks
Agree. Let’s say SP puts up similar numbers but also 1-2 TO a game but Iowa still wins on the back of the D.

Are you ok with 2 more years of SP or would you like to see a backup get some run and see how they perform when the “lights on”?

Plenty of time and I hope SP goes all BIG10 but if above happens where do you stand?

If looks same as he’s looked how long are you ok with the performance of the D is winning the games? You good to ride it till he graduates?

Spencer Petras broke all of Goff’s passing records in high school and was a 4 star in high school. Petras also follows a long list of Iowa QBs who’ve had the same problem.

And Petras definitely wasn’t the problem today.
Same QB Coach?!

Coming off a 30-7 win over an undefeated MAC team (that won 60-10 itself the prior week) where Iowa has 420 yards, almost evenly balanced, maintaining our national no 5 rank seems like a strange time to complain about the offensive coordinator.

Similarly, when the QB completed 69.44% of his 36 passes, has a touchdown and no interceptions seems like a strange time to complain about the QB.

Last edited:
Is Petras allowed to audible at the line? The throw to the TE with 3 defenders on that side and no blockers brings up the question.

• Haha
Reactions: sob5
I thought his high percentage completion rate was due to running lots of short routes and completing easy passes. He doesn’t just miss high, but seems to skip balls off the turf as well.

I said in the game thread that possibly what we need to do is nickel and dime teams down the field. We don’t use the middle of the field often.

I don’t feel confident if a team shuts down our run game.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

I don’t feel confident if a team shuts down our run game.

You mean like Iowa St.? Running plays 31, yards 91. That's a 2.93 average. Not good running, yet an Iowa blowout.

Why are we Tight End U? Because we target the tight ends-which makes for a pretty mid range passing game in general. Like to see more successful deep shots and I think we will. The deep throw to #89 was beautiful-and that was the slowest receiver.

The Iowa offense is going to just keep getting better. They may never be great but they're going to be good before the end of the season.

You mean like Iowa St.? Running plays 31, yards 91. That's a 2.93 average. Not good running, yet an Iowa blowout.

Why are we Tight End U? Because we target the tight ends-which makes for a pretty mid range passing game in general. Like to see more successful deep shots and I think we will. The deep throw to #89 was beautiful-and that was the slowest receiver.

The Iowa offense is going to just keep getting better. They may never be great but they're going to be good before the end of the season.

The blow out was due to our defense scoring or putting us in favorable positions. Didn’t we only have like 170 total yards of offense. That isn’t good. Trying to consistently depend on the defense to score and win you games isn’t a realistic way of winning games throughout a season.

Reactions: Underscore2
The blow out was due to our defense scoring or putting us in favorable positions. Didn’t we only have like 170 total yards of offense. That isn’t good. Trying to consistently depend on the defense to score and win you games isn’t a realistic way of winning games throughout a season.
My point is one ranked team already did shut down Iowa's ground game and we still won. I think its obvious most Iowa games will involve Iowa obtaining turnovers. There will be lots of short fields in probably every game. You don't need an X box offense when your defense generates as many turnovers and sacks and disrupted passes as does Iowa.

Of course the offense needs to improve but they looked better yesterday than the first two games. The line played better and the two problems, running dominance and holding the quarterback pocket looked much less challenging than the first two games.

Coming off a 30-7 win over an undefeated MAC team (that won 60-10 itself the prior week) where Iowa has 420 yards, almost evenly balanced, maintaining our national no 5 rank seems like a strange time to complain about the offensive coordinator.

Similarly, when the QB completed 69.44% of his 36 passes, has a touchdown and no interceptions seems like a strange time to complain about the QB.
undefeated? They lost to A&M in week one by a larger margin than what it should have been.

All of Iowas QB's regress. It is the facts of KF. With Iowa pretty much doing run plays and short passes it allows the defense to stack the box. Which makes it harder for them to score. SP is doing fine under KF scheme
I really wanted to call BS on this but just looking at QB ratings with Stanley, Bethard (to a certain extent), Vandenberg, and now Petras you aren't wrong.

People dont realize our offensive strategy is to play field position and no turnovers. At Iowa, a punt isnt a failure but a weapon. with our defense, we play a very low risk offensive. Brian's play calling reflect that strategy. There is a reason why we dont fling the ball down the field over 2o yards often.

People dont think Brian knows how to call plays but he is doing exactly what his boss wants him to do
Huh, kind of like the way the NE Patriots do it? Go figure?

OL is young and growing and Petras is limited. BF is doing the best he can with what he has.

So where is the improvement? Looking at yards per play.
Brians tenure as OC
1.) 108th
2.) 78th
3.)84th
4.)86th
5.) 103rd

Davis tenure
1.) 98th
2.) 53rd
3.) 65th
I think the last 4 years they have been above average in offensive efficiency. worst year I think was 52. Davis I think gets more heat than he deserves. They had one year they were pretty good offensively but the other years I think were more of a function of a complete lack of talent at the skill positions. .

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Wait....... I thought we won ?? If there’s a problem on offense it’s playing two freshmen tackles.... they’ll get better

I think the last 4 years they have been above average in offensive efficiency. worst year I think was 52. Davis I think gets more heat than he deserves. They had one year they were pretty good offensively but the other years I think were more of a function of a complete lack of talent at the skill positions. .
Not a great trend at this point. I am not a fan of Davis, and I agree with the skill set scenario, but wow this is rough.
1.) 64th (2020)
2.) 53rd (2019)
3.) 41st (2018)
4.) 44th (2017)

5.) 57th (2016)
6.) 38th (2015)
7.) 63rd (2014)

Not a great trend at this point. I am not a fan of Davis, and I agree with the skill set scenario, but wow this is rough.
1.) 64th (2020)
2.) 53rd (2019)
3.) 41st (2018)
4.) 44th (2017)

5.) 57th (2016)
6.) 38th (2015)
7.) 63rd (2014)
By Iowa standards that dude got ran out of town with pitchforks. We were so happy when GDGD went away.....(because he was shitty and watching guys throw for 2 yards on 3rd and 3 raised the divorce rate.)

Is this where people long for KOK, the same guy they cheered for him when he left years back? This offense is Kirk. Kirk has the final say on everything in terms of who gets the schollies, who starts, etc etc. But some of you can beat your head against a wall all you want.

By Iowa standards that dude got ran out of town with pitchforks. We were so happy when GDGD went away.....(because he was shitty and watching guys throw for 2 yards on 3rd and 3 raised the divorce rate.)
I’m hopeful none of the usual suspects of pearl-clutching super fans are in charge of running a business. If the very thought of having a rational discussion on how to improve the business and make it even more successful causes them this much trauma and disgust, they should probably resign themselves to a life of working second shift at Menards. It’s comical. Fugging Iowa people, amirite? 😉😁

I’m hopeful none of the usual suspects of pearl-clutching super fans are in charge of running a business. If the very thought of having a rational discussion on how to improve the business and make it even more successful causes them this much trauma and disgust, they should probably resign themselves to a life of working second shift at Menards. It’s comical. Fugging Iowa people, amirite? 😉😁
Saban needs some help and some suggestions too. He hasn't won every national title since he took the job, so he is lacking.

So where is the improvement? Looking at yards per play.
Brians tenure as OC
1.) 108th
2.) 78th
3.)84th
4.)86th
5.) 103rd

Davis tenure
1.) 98th
2.) 53rd
3.) 65th
Why are you looking at yards/games? Are you from Iowa State? Points/game seem more important to me. BF = 68th in the country to GDs 88 th in the country. 20 spot improvement...

I’m a chiefs fan and was livid about the defense last night. Then come on here and remember how good the chiefs have it on offense. I think we all should remember our favorite teams isn’t going to score 40 and let up 0 every game. The other team is trying to win as well. I’m just happy Iowa is undefeated and ranked 5th.

Reactions: HFan1981
I’m a chiefs fan and was livid about the defense last night. Then come on here and remember how good the chiefs have it on offense. I think we all should remember our favorite teams isn’t going to score 40 and let up 0 every game. The other team is trying to win as well. I’m just happy Iowa is undefeated and ranked 5th.
More to my point. If you are all offense (like the chiefs) your play calling is not helping the defense. Score score score. Doesn’t matter of you turn it over you can still score. When you’re Iowa you play complementary football and a lot of the ply calling is to not put the defense in a bad spot. You have to pick an identity and stick with it. Unless you are Alabama.

Reactions: mooresville hawk
More to my point. If you are all offense (like the chiefs) your play calling is not helping the defense. Score score score. Doesn’t matter of you turn it over you can still score. When you’re Iowa you play complementary football and a lot of the ply calling is to not put the defense in a bad spot. You have to pick an identity and stick with it. Unless you are Alabama.
But Iowa's offense leaves the Defense on the field FAR TOO LONG\OFTEN due to inability to move and\or score.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT