ADVERTISEMENT

Curious...which Hawk wrestler would beaten the most

93hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 19, 2004
(would *have* beaten the most ) National Champions during his college career? For example, off the top of my head I count 3 for Cory Clark: Tomassello, Gross, Delgado (although technically not a varsity match for CC). I imagine Lewis and Metcalf to be near the top. Any ideas?

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Off the top of my head. Metcalf beat Gillispie, Schlatter, Caldwell,Jenkins and Burroughs edit ***and Molinaro

edit maybe he didn't wrestle Gillispie( i am trying to find it)

Last edited:
Off the top of my head. Metcalf beat Gillispie, Schlatter, Caldwell,Jenkins and Burroughs edit ***and Molinaro

edit maybe he didn't wrestle Gillispie( i am trying to find it)

He beat Gillespie at Senior Nationals in the semis, but did not wrestle him at the DI level. Like Schlatter, he wrestled as a TF and took 7th. The following year he upset Schlatter in the semis and won it all. He then moved up to 157 for the remainder of his career.

Edited for context: The 2 years Gillespie went 149 were the year Metcalf redshirted at VTech and the year he was ineligible at Iowa.

Reactions: andegre
Thanks. I thought he had wrestled Gillispie but, I couldn't remember where and when

I don't know where you'd find results for wrestlers from decades ago like Brands or Ironside, so it's tough to know how their wins over NCAA champs compare with Metcalf. In recent era, other top Hawkeyes don't quite match Metcalf for NCAA champs beaten.

Metcalf: (5) Schlatter, Caldwell, Jenkins,Burroughs, Molinaro
Gilman: (4) Tomasello, Garrett, Cruz, Delgado
McDonough: (3) Megaludis, Delgado, Garrett
Clark: (3) Gross, Tomasello, Delgado
Ramos: (1) Oliver (Ramos stuck behind Stieber...)
St John: (1) Dieringer (Impressive considering Dieringer ended up a 3 timer. St John stuck behind Dake and Taylor)

I don't know where you'd find results for wrestlers from decades ago like Brands or Ironside, so it's tough to know how their wins over NCAA champs compare with Metcalf. In recent era, other top Hawkeyes don't quite match Metcalf for NCAA champs beaten.

Metcalf: (5) Schlatter, Caldwell, Jenkins,Burroughs, Molinaro
Gilman: (4) Tomasello, Garrett, Cruz, Delgado
McDonough: (3) Megaludis, Delgado, Garrett
Clark: (3) Gross, Tomasello, Delgado
Ramos: (1) Oliver (Ramos stuck behind Stieber...)
St John: (1) Dieringer (Impressive considering Dieringer ended up a 3 timer. St John stuck behind Dake and Taylor)
Correct me if I'm wrong, Sandy, but didn't Spencer Lee: (1) TOMA

When you are a 3 timer like Brands it is hard to beat many National Champs because you are the NC for most of your career.
From Memory
Brands -2 Kendall Cross and Alan Freid
Randy Lewis - 3 Jim Gibbons, Darryl Burley and some guy from North Carolina whose name eludes me. He beat a ton of them, but not in college I believe.

When you are a 3 timer like Brands it is hard to beat many National Champs because you are the NC for most of your career.
From Memory
Brands -2 Kendall Cross and Alan Freid
Randy Lewis - 3 Jim Gibbons, Darryl Burley and some guy from North Carolina whose name eludes me. He beat a ton of them, but not in college I believe.
-C.D. Mock-UNC

Reactions: lookleft goright
Terry Brands - Jason Kelber, Tony Purler, Jeff Prescott, and (did Terry beat Kendall Cross in college ?- Tom did. Not sure if Terry did)
Jeff McGinness - S. Abe, Eric Guerrero, Casey Cunningham.
Tom Brands - Kendall Cross, Alan Fried,

Wouldn't be that hard to find the brackets with track, do you have any insight on who to contact to take it over?
This was actually brought up in one of my threads over on BWI about the changes I'm doing this offseason. From that post, someone mentioned that there IS someone still maintaining (or maybe it was just OWNING) the site. Contact information was provided....let me see if I can find the post.

i may have an equally IMPRESSIVE claim to fame...in High School i wrestled and PINNED Carlton Haselrig all FOUR times we met on the mat. I never had a chance to wrestle him in college.
As far as I know, Haselrig only wrestled his senior year of high school and finished the season 10-0. When was this?

(would *have* beaten the most ) National Champions during his college career? For example, off the top of my head I count 3 for Cory Clark: Tomassello, Gross, Delgado (although technically not a varsity match for CC). I imagine Lewis and Metcalf to be near the top. Any ideas?

Charlie Falk beat five National Champions in his college career...
Coleman Scott (Coaching staff pulled his redshirt)
Paul Donahue
Angle Escobedo
Frank Gomez
Anthony Robles
He beat those opponents in the dual meets...
Charlie ended as a 2x AA...6th & 8th
I am not making excuses for Charlie...nor would he would want me to.
Charlie had two Labrum surgery...a year of no training due to rehab, broke his foot one spring another 3-4 months off, plus a high ankle sprain at the Midlands...Injuries are part of sports...a healthy Charlie...who knows?? Yes that goes for all athletes.

Charlie is married to his beautiful wife Michelle, they have three wonderful children, Jackson, Macey & Teddy.
This summer our families (his family, father Bob, Lisa & my daughter Taylor) will be traveling to Steamboat Springs CO to visit his training partner at Apple Valley Mark Wellstone's family. I share this with you because wrestling builds bonds and friendships that last a lifetime!

Charlie Falk beat five National Champions in his college career...
Coleman Scott (Coaching staff pulled his redshirt)
Paul Donahue
Angle Escobedo
Frank Gomez
Anthony Robles
He beat those opponents in the dual meets...
Charlie ended as a 2x AA...6th & 8th
I am not making excuses for Charlie...nor would he would want me to.
Charlie had two Labrum surgery...a year of no training due to rehab, broke his foot one spring another 3-4 months off, plus a high ankle sprain at the Midlands...Injuries are part of sports...a healthy Charlie...who knows?? Yes that goes for all athletes.

Charlie is married to his beautiful wife Michelle, they have three wonderful children, Jackson, Macey & Teddy.
This summer our families (his family, father Bob, Lisa & my daughter Taylor) will be traveling to Steamboat Springs CO to visit his training partner at Apple Valley Mark Wellstone's family. I share this with you because wrestling builds bonds and friendships that last a lifetime!
Great background info! I always thought Charlie was better than his finishes at Nationals, by a good margin. He was a very tough competitor and had some great offense. Loved his attacking style. I wasn't aware of the injuries at the time, but it makes sense that he wasn't 100%, as he was a wrecking ball when healthy. Glad to hear he's thriving as a husband and a dad.

Funny -- we're headed for Steamboat this summer, too. See you there!

Reactions: Huck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT