ADVERTISEMENT

D1 Baseball Predicts Iowa 5th in B1G in 2021. On May 6, 2019 IOWA ranked #24 (was Great Season despite 1-7 Finish). 2020 Season Cut Short by Covid

I honestly could see us sweeping MSU and MD sweeping IU (or vice versa), which means we finish in 4th place.

Everyone would be ecstatic for the rest of the day Sunday because D1 Baseball has said since Feb that the B1G was a 4 bid conference! NCAA Tournament, here we come! Right?!?

And then, on Monday, we watch as the Selection Committee announces that just the top 3 B1G teams have made the NCAA Tournament.
Then we riot

I’ll also say, Look at Michigan’s record and schedule. It’s not that impressive. Yes, I know how the opening series went but I’d make an argument the Covid shutdown impacted Iowa. I think Michigan is getting a lot of love due to the CWS run.
I tend to agree. Michigan is a good team, but I think they are getting a LOT of benefit of the doubt because of 2019.

I have some better news this morning.

Iowa is one of the FIRST 5 OUT according to D1 Baseball, so at least things are trending in the right direction. However, we still have work to do.

As you can see below, D1 Baseball continues (since February) to give the top 4 B1G teams a bid to the NCAA Tournament.

And what about 5th place Iowa? Well, as @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life would say, right now they are a dollar short and a day late.

I am not gonna scoreboard watch because we all know what needs to happen starting TODAY, and I doubt ALL 3 OF THESE THINGS happen.

#1: Iowa must sweep Michigan State

#2: IU must sweep Maryland OR Maryland must sweep IU

#3: Pity from the Selection Committee on Selection Monday, where the Selection Committee takes 4th place in the B1G Iowa as a result of (1) and (2) happening.

May 28, 2021

D1 Baseball Projected Field Of 64

The Top 4 B1G Teams are In:
Nebraska (2, at 1 seed Gonzaga)
Maryland (2, at 1 seed Vanderbilt)
Michigan (2, at 1 seed Oregon)
Indiana (3, at 1 seed Notre Dame)

AT-LARGE LADDER:

Here’s how we size up the at-large candidates as of Friday morning, listed from safest to least safe on our ladder:

LAST FIVE IN:

60. Georgia

61. LSU

62. North Carolina

63. Alabama

64. Long Beach State

FIRST FIVE OUT:

65. Louisville

66. Ball State

67. California

68. Iowa

69. Baylor

cc: @BigOHawk @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life @2bagger22 @funnyfletcher @SWIowahawks @whatsup13579er @KyleHuesmann @AuroraHawk @Alum-Ni @Cymonhawk @denmar81

I have some MORE better news this morning.

Iowa is one of the FIRST 4 OUT according to Baseball America, so at least things are trending in the right direction. However, we still have work to do.

As you can see below, Baseball America gives the top 4 B1G teams a bid to the NCAA Tournament.

And what about 5th place Iowa? Well, as @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life would say, right now they are a dollar short and a day late.

I am not gonna scoreboard watch because we all know what needs to happen starting TODAY, and I doubt ALL 3 OF THESE THINGS happen.

#2: IU must sweep Maryland OR Maryland must sweep IU

#3: Pity from the Selection Committee on Selection Monday, where the Selection Committee takes 4th place in the B1G Iowa as a result of #1 and #2 happening.

May 28, 2021

Baseball America Projected Field Of 64

Nebraska (2, at 1 seed TCU)
Michigan (3, at 1 seed Ole Miss)

LAST FOUR IN:

Alabama
Louisville ⬇️
Long Beach State
Louisiana State

FIRST FOUR OUT:

Indiana State
Florida Atlantic ⬆️
Iowa
South Carolina-Upstate

NEXT FOUR OUT:

Ball State ⬆️
Wofford
San Diego State ⬆️
Southern Illinois ⬆️

cc: @BigOHawk @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life @2bagger22 @funnyfletcher @SWIowahawks @whatsup13579er @KyleHuesmann @AuroraHawk @Alum-Ni @Cymonhawk @denmar81

Last edited:
The field of 64 teams that will compete for the 2021 NCAA college baseball championship will be announced on ESPN2 at noon ET on Monday, May 31. You can stream it on WatchESPN.

In 2021, there are 30 automatic bids and 34 at-large bids.

The 64 teams will be placed in 16 different four-team regions, with teams seeded one through four to compete in a double-elimination format.

Games then start with regionals and continue on to super regionals before the men's College World Series begins Saturday, June 19, at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha.

Here's the complete schedule:

2021 NCAA Division I baseball tournament: Schedule​

• Selection show: Noon ET on Monday, May 31, on ESPN2
  • Regionals: Friday, June 4 through Monday, June 7
  • Super Regionals: Friday, June 11 through Monday, June 14
  • CWS Opening Celebration Day — Friday, June 18
  • First day of CWS games — Saturday, June 19
  • CWS Finals — Start Monday, June 28 (best out of 3)
  • Final championship game — Tuesday/Wednesday, June 29/30

Vanderbilt beat Michigan 8-2 in a Game 3 to win the 2019 College World Series, the program's second national title.

Coverage of the selections and of the tournament will be live here. You can see the interactive bracket here and get a printable CWS bracket here.

Here is more on how the tournament works:

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE DIVISION I BASEBALL TOURNAMENT AND THE COLLEGE WORLD SERIES?​

The NCAA Division I baseball tournament is a 64-team tournament that starts in May. After two rounds of play (which each consist of multiple games), there are just eight teams left. These eight teams then head to Omaha, Nebraska for the College World Series. The CWS is the culmination of the DI tournament, where the teams compete in two brackets, with the winners of each meeting in the CWS finals, a best-of-three series to decide the NCAA champion.

WHEN DID THE COLLEGE WORLD SERIES START?​

The first-ever NCAA Division I baseball tournament was in 1947, and would barely be recognized as the same tournament nowadays. The 1947 tournament featured just eight teams, which were divided into two four-team, single-elimination brackets. The two winners — California and Yale — then met in a best-of-three final in Kalamazoo, Michigan. California would go undefeated through the inaugural CWS and beat Yale to capture the first title.

HOW ARE TEAMS SELECTED FOR THE NCAA DIVISION I BASEBALL TOURNAMENT?​

Since 1954, the NCAA Division I baseball tournament field has been split into two qualifying groups: The automatic berths, and the at-large selections. Since 2014, a typical year split sees 31 conference champions receiving automatic berths, and 33 teams receiving at-large bids, decided by the NCAA Division I Baseball Committee. In 2021, there are 30 automatic bids and 34 at-large bids.

Last edited:
For some reason I want to say it was like Feb 18 up until the Thursday before Michigan? Normans statement was put on Twitter on Feb 18.

Sounds right.

And i don't understand the scoreboard watching over the last several days because too many things have to happen for Iowa to make it into the Tournament.

If we don't win 3 straight, then we're done, and all of that scoreboard watching was a waste of time.

If either Maryland or IU does not win 3 in a row, then we're likely done as well, and again, all that scoreboard watching was a waste of time.

And even if everything works out perfectly through Sunday, we still need the Selection Committee to select us on Monday.

Sounds right.

And i don't understand the scoreboard watching over the last several days because too many things have to happen for Iowa to make it into the Tournament.

If we don't win 3 straight, then we're done, and all of that scoreboard watching was a waste of time.

If either Maryland or IU does not win 3 in a row, then we're likely done as well, and again, all that scoreboard watching was a waste of time.

And even if everything works out perfectly through Sunday, we still need the Selection Committee to select us on Monday.
It’s nice that you think I had other things to do this week 😂

• Love
Reactions: Franisdaman
Tonight's Indiana at Maryland game has been POSTPONED.

They will play a Double Header Saturday, May 29.

I’ll be shocked if IU and Maryland play today. Of course they know exactly what they’re doing. They had ALL day yesterday until 6pm to get their game in. Just say you don’t want to play.

I have some MORE BAD news this morning.

Iowa is NOT MENTIONED by D1 Baseball in this morning's projected Field of 64, so things are suddenly trending in the WRONG direction. And, of course, we still have work to do.

As you can see below, D1 Baseball continues (since February) to give the top 4 B1G teams a bid to the NCAA Tournament.

I am not gonna scoreboard watch because we all know what needed to happen starting YESTERDAY, and I doubt ALL 3 OF THESE THINGS happen.

#2: IU must sweep THE 3 GAMES FROM Maryland OR Maryland must sweep THE 3 GAMES FROM IU

#3: Pity from the Selection Committee on Selection Monday, where the Selection Committee takes 4th place in the B1G Iowa as a result of (1) and (2) happening.

May 29, 2021

Michigan (3, at 1 seed Oregon)

AT-LARGE LADDER:

Here’s how we size up the at-large candidates as of SATURDAY morning, listed from safest to least safe on our ladder:

LAST FIVE IN:

• 60. Fairfield
  • 61. Indiana
  • 62. Georgia
  • 63. LSU
  • 64. Alabama

FIRST FIVE OUT:

• 65. Long Beach State
  • 66. Ball State
  • 67. Kansas State
  • 68. Louisville
  • 69. California

I have some MORE BAD news this morning.

Iowa is NOT MENTIONED by D1 Baseball in this morning's projected Field of 64, so things are suddenly trending in the WRONG direction. And, of course, we still have work to do.

I am not gonna scoreboard watch because we all know what needed to happen starting YESTERDAY, and I doubt ALL 3 OF THESE THINGS happen.

#2: IU must sweep THE 3 GAMES FROM Maryland OR Maryland must sweep THE 3 GAMES FROM IU

May 29, 2021

Michigan (3, at 1 seed Oregon)

AT-LARGE LADDER:

Here’s how we size up the at-large candidates as of SATURDAY morning, listed from safest to least safe on our ladder:

LAST FIVE IN:

• 60. Fairfield
  • 61. Indiana
  • 62. Georgia
  • 63. LSU
  • 64. Alabama

FIRST FIVE OUT:

• 65. Long Beach State
  • 66. Ball State
  • 67. Kansas State
  • 68. Louisville
  • 69. California

LOL @ Kansas State. Now that’s a joke. A team that HAD to win their tournament and to their credit they are alive on the losers bracket and have pulled some big upsets. Now all of a sudden they are right there. Why play the season? If a conference tournament means that much then the big ten really screwed up.

I am guessing the scoreboard some of you are watching has had some bad results because I have some MORE BAD news this morning.

Yesterday, the B1G was a 4 bid league AND Iowa was one of the FIRST 4 OUT according to Baseball America,

This morning, the B1G is a 3 bid league (Indiana is OUT) & Iowa moved in the BAD DIRECTION, to the NEXT 4 OUT.

Note, too, that Michigan is one of the LAST 4 IN.

So, things are trending in the WRONG direction for both the B1G and for Iowa. And we still have work to do.

As you can see below, Baseball America gives the top 3 B1G teams a bid to the NCAA Tournament.

And what about 4th place Indiana & 5th place Iowa? Well, as @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life would say, right now they are both a dollar short and a day late.

#2: IU must sweep the 3 games from Maryland OR Maryland must sweep the 3 games from IU

#3: Pity from the Selection Committee on Selection Monday, where the Selection Committee takes 4th place in the B1G Iowa as a result of #1 and #2 happening.

May 29, 2021

Baseball America Projected Field Of 64

The Top 3 B1G Teams are In:
* # Nebraska (2, at 1 seed ^Texas Tech)
Maryland (2, at 1 seed ^ Vanderbilt)
Michigan (3, at 1 seed ^ Arizona)

^ Denotes host school
* Denotes automatic qualifier
# Denotes automatic bid

New teams to the Field of 64:

Rider*#
UNC Wilmington*
Indiana State

LAST FOUR IN:

Alabama
Louisville
Michigan
Louisiana State

FIRST FOUR OUT:

Florida Atlantic
Ball State
Long Beach State 🔻
Indiana 🔻

NEXT FOUR OUT:

Wofford
Iowa 🔻
South Carolina-Upstate 🔻
Baylor

Last edited:
Maryland just walked it off (WITH A WALK) in the bottom of the 10th, beating IU 4-3. IU hit 2 batters to load the bases and then walked in the winning Maryland run.

IU had led Maryland 3-1 in the top of the 8th.

We all now are Maryland fans because Maryland now needs to beat IU one more time today and a final time tomorrow.

IU at Maryland, Game #2, is now starting.

Go Terps!!!

The game link is at the end of this post.

To watch:

(1) Copy & paste the link into a media player

OR

(2) Add the HLS Playback extension to your
browser on your phone or any device.

The game link is an m3u8 link. I normally would use a media player to watch m3u8 links. Recently, however, I learned about the "HLS" add on. It allows your browser to understand an m3u8 link and play it within a normal internet window.

For Chrome, go here and click on the "Add to Chrome" button: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/native-hls-playback/emnphkkblegpebimobpbekeedfgemhof

And when you do that, enjoy the game.

Indiana--Maryland .m3u8

Reactions: funnyfletcher
IU at Maryland, Game #2, is now starting.

Go Terps!!!

The game link is at the end of this post.

To watch:

(1) Copy & paste the link into a media player

OR

(2) Add the HLS Playback extension to your
browser on your phone or any device.

The game link is an m3u8 link. I normally would use a media player to watch m3u8 links. Recently, however, I learned about the "HLS" add on. It allows your browser to understand an m3u8 link and play it within a normal internet window.

For Chrome, go here and click on the "Add to Chrome" button: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/native-hls-playback/emnphkkblegpebimobpbekeedfgemhof

And when you do that, enjoy the game.

Indiana--Maryland .m3u8

Of note, Maryland or Indiana have not thrown their “Friday” pitchers in either game.

Reactions: Franisdaman
They'll get three, but no more. Michigan’s resume has been propped up a lot by the CWS run imo.

On May 3rd, IU fans were pretty happy. Now? Not so much.

Check it out:

May 3, 2021 B1G Standings:

..........................................................Games
..........................................................Back
1. Indiana (20-9, .690).....................--
2. Nebraska (20-10, .667)..............1/2
3. Michigan (21-11, .656).................1/2
4. Iowa (19-13, .594)
4. Maryland (19-13, .594)

Last edited:
Iowa imploding. Back to back sacrifice bunts turn into singles to load the bases then a soft grounder to 3rd and Sosa doesn’t throw it anywhere. Next Spartan up hits a double off of their stupid right field fence.

Maryland has defeated Indiana, 5-2 and has taken the first 2 games of the 3 game series.

We all know what needed to happen starting YESTERDAY; ALL 3 OF THESE THINGS need to happen.

So far so good.

#2: IU must sweep the 3 games from Maryland OR Maryland must sweep the 3 games from IU

East Carolina is eliminated from the AAC Tournament.....they will steal an auto-bid. Along with Campbell, Liberty and Fairfield....the bubble is four spots smaller already than it was at the beginning of the week.

Indiana lost a pair of games to Maryland today, dropping the first one 4-3 when they allowed a game-tying homer with two outs in the ninth and surrendered the winning run on a bases-loaded walk. The Terps took the second game, 5-2. Indiana has lost seven of their last eight games and is now 25-18 in the Big Ten, 6 games behind leader Nebraska.

Michigan defeated Nebraska 2-0 today in the second game of their series. I think the Wolverines are safely in at this point.

I firmly believe the conference is a 4-6 bid league. Circumstances the teams can’t control will prevent that. It’s also unfortunate after the CWS run Michigan had the “experts” can’t or won’t realize this is and has become a very formidable baseball conference.

Not surprised Indiana is out.....surprised, but not shocked, Michigan is out. D1Baseball, as of late last night, still thinks Michigan is in, but I have a feeling the baseball committee will do the Big Ten in a similar manner that the softball committee did.

Thanks Kevin!

ADVERTISEMENT