ADVERTISEMENT

D1 Baseball Predicts Iowa 5th in B1G in 2021. On May 6, 2019 IOWA ranked #24 (was Great Season despite 1-7 Finish). 2020 Season Cut Short by Covid

The hope and pray scenario would be a sweep vs MSU and Indiana falling apart completely and losing out. Iowa would finish a game ahead and Indiana would be 4-10 in their last 14.

I think committee would take 3 big ten teams in that scenario to be honest.

Credit to Maryland for hearing that they were the odd team out & doing something about it.

IU's slide has been really surprising. 3 weekends ago Indiana was in 1st place!

Check this out:

May 3rd, B1G Standings (thanks @Alum-Ni ):

..........................................................Games
..........................................................Back
1. Indiana (20-9, .690).....................--
2. Nebraska (20-10, .667)..............1/2
3. Michigan (21-11, .656).................1/2
4. Iowa (19-13, .594)
4. Maryland (19-13, .594)

6. Rutgers (17-13)
7. Ohio State (17-14)
8. Illinois (15-16)
9. Northwestern (12-16)
10. Penn State (12-18)
11. Michigan State (12-20)
12. Purdue (11-20)
13. Minnesota (4-26)

Reactions: KyleHuesmann
Is it just me or does his math not add up? Or is he saying 3 at-large bids?
I agree, the way he worded it was a bit confusing. I think what he is saying in his B1G breakdown is that the B1G is still likely a 4 bid conference.

Nebraska gets the automatic bid,

Michigan and Maryland are locks right now.

Indiana right now is in, but has work to do over their 4 remaining games to stay in.

https://d1baseball.com/columns/on-the-mark-sizing-the-bubble/

VirginiaBaylorKentucky
North CarolinaOklahomaAlabama
LouisvilleIndianaTulane
PittsburghMarylandUCSB
DukeIowaLong Beach State
ClemsonLSUSan Diego
Virginia TechGeorgiaCalifornia
“As of today, the bubble size is 11. That’s a really soft bubble, as we’d have room for 11 of these 21 teams. This number changes each day, usually downward. Using an estimated guess, I’d venture somewhere between five and nine of these teams will see their names in brackets Monday.” - Mark Etheridge.

Reactions: Franisdaman
https://d1baseball.com/columns/on-the-mark-sizing-the-bubble/

VirginiaBaylorKentucky
North CarolinaOklahomaAlabama
LouisvilleIndianaTulane
PittsburghMarylandUCSB
DukeIowaLong Beach State
ClemsonLSUSan Diego
Virginia TechGeorgiaCalifornia
“As of today, the bubble size is 11. That’s a really soft bubble, as we’d have room for 11 of these 21 teams. This number changes each day, usually downward. Using an estimated guess, I’d venture somewhere between five and nine of these teams will see their names in brackets Monday.” - Mark Etheridge.
My guess is Iowa is around the 12-14 area in this group right now. So the miracle scenario would a sweep vs Mich St, no stolen bids and the bulk of these bubble teams taking early conference tournament exits.

After taking the time to decompress after another disappointing loss, I've got a few thoughts:

1. At this point in time, I have every confidence that Wallace could go toe-to-toe with just about any other starter in the B1G or at a Regional. Unfortunately, my confidence wavers significantly with Bauman (you never know what you are going to get) and I have zero confidence in Davitt. Overall, I've concluded that Iowa's starting pitching falls short of "Regional" quality. It may not be far off . . . but for Dreyer's injury . . . but I could see both Bauman and Davitt (and Irvine) getting absolutely torched by a Regional #1 team if Wallace led them to a game 1 win.
2. At this point in time, Iowa's offense does not appear to be anywhere close to "Regional" quality. While it has certainly been nice to get Williams back into the lineup after the tough Indiana series, let's face reality. With the opportunity to "make a statement" with a sweep against PSU, Iowa's offense was shut out for 8 innings by PSU's third starter. Hell, they were shut out for their final 6 ABs against PSU on Friday night. Iowa's hitters struck out in 11 of their first 15 ABs against Illinois' Saturday starter. They could only muster 1 run on Saturday against Illinois and 2 runs on Saturday against Illinois.
3. It appears that Heller knows that something was amiss in the lineup. On Friday against Illinois, Martin was batting 4th. On Saturday, Frazier was batting 4th. On Sunday, Martin was back to batting 4th. Against Northwestern, the clean-up hitters were Martin, Martin and Wallace. Here's some awfully sobering statistics from the last two weekends:
Norman 5-25 with one walk. (.200 BA; .230 OBP - not exactly the straw stirring the drink)
Fullard 6-22 with four walks (.272 BA; .385 OBP - pretty solid)
Williams 6-18 with seven walks (.333 BA; .520 OBP - very good numbers)
Martin 3-19 with four walks (.158 BA; .304 OBP)
Adreon 2-17 with two walks (.118 BA; .211 OBP - fell off cliff after winning B1G POW)
Sosa 5-21 with four walks (.238 BA; .360 OBP)
Nedved 3-14 with 2 walks (.214 BA; .313 OBP)
Conclusion: Norman is the guy who makes things happen. He was all but absent the past two weekends. Yes, his shot on Friday against Illinois and two doubles yesterday came in big situations but he failed to produce in two extremely key series. Fullard and Williams - hard to complain with those numbers from the #2 and #3 guys in the lineup. But, damn, after those two, there was about ZERO production from putting balls in play. Hard to win when the guys primarily hitting 4, 5, 6 and 7 are putting up those numbers.
4. So . . . sitting in the stands in IC against Illinois, I noticed several hitters who stepped into the batter's box with a 0-0 count and they are as close to home plate as the batter's box allows. After the first strike (regardless of swinging/looking), they back off the plate a few inches (best guess - about 3 to 4 inches. What in the holy hell is that plate strategy? First and foremost, it left me with the impression that they were trying to mess up Illinois pitching. However, Illinois pitching pounded the zone. You then change your view of the plate and pitch perspective by changing where you stand. Resulted in Iowa's hitters falling behind frequently and, as we painfully know, Illinois racked up the Ks all weekend long. Once I saw this live, I looked for it against NW. Same deal. Makes zero sense to me.
5. IMO, Iowa needs to freaking abandon the calling pitches from the dugout, having the pitcher check his pitch card and then throwing a pitch. I used the stopwatch on my phone to time the gap between pitches on Saturday. About 17-25 seconds between pitches for Davitt. For Lavendar it was rarely above 10. Even if the coaches want to call pitches (but Martin is a Senior!!!!), relay them to Martin and have him call the pitch. There is absolutely no chance for the pitcher to get in a rhythm the coach calling/check notecard approach. I cannot wonder if it drives Martin crazy. I saw him bark at the dugout during the Sunday Illini game when Iowa changed pitchers to Leonard. Martin yelled something at the bench, made a throat slashing gesture and pointed at himself. Leonard never once looked at a notecard and Martin was calling pitches himself.

Baseball is truly the sport for which I have the most passion. Sadly, I grew up a Pittsburgh Pirates fan and, consequently, I have little joy during MLB seasons. Iowa baseball keeps me going and am really thrilled that Heller has Iowa in "tournament" discussions on seemingly a yearly basis. Kills me that they are on the outside looking in again when I think of "what could have been" with Dreyer pitching on Friday, Wallace on Saturday and Bauman on Sunday . . . a healthy closer in Leonard . . . damn.

In any event, I'll hope for a miracle sweep over MSU, that Indiana tanks and that other bubble teams implode.

Sadly, I feel relegated to looking at the current roster and wondering "who's coming back" and what does next year look like?

After taking the time to decompress after another disappointing loss, I've got a few thoughts:

1. At this point in time, I have every confidence that Wallace could go toe-to-toe with just about any other starter in the B1G or at a Regional. Unfortunately, my confidence wavers significantly with Bauman (you never know what you are going to get) and I have zero confidence in Davitt. Overall, I've concluded that Iowa's starting pitching falls short of "Regional" quality. It may not be far off . . . but for Dreyer's injury . . . but I could see both Bauman and Davitt (and Irvine) getting absolutely torched by a Regional #1 team if Wallace led them to a game 1 win.
2. At this point in time, Iowa's offense does not appear to be anywhere close to "Regional" quality. While it has certainly been nice to get Williams back into the lineup after the tough Indiana series, let's face reality. With the opportunity to "make a statement" with a sweep against PSU, Iowa's offense was shut out for 8 innings by PSU's third starter. Hell, they were shut out for their final 6 ABs against PSU on Friday night. Iowa's hitters struck out in 11 of their first 15 ABs against Illinois' Saturday starter. They could only muster 1 run on Saturday against Illinois and 2 runs on Saturday against Illinois.
3. It appears that Heller knows that something was amiss in the lineup. On Friday against Illinois, Martin was batting 4th. On Saturday, Frazier was batting 4th. On Sunday, Martin was back to batting 4th. Against Northwestern, the clean-up hitters were Martin, Martin and Wallace. Here's some awfully sobering statistics from the last two weekends:
Norman 5-25 with one walk. (.200 BA; .230 OBP - not exactly the straw stirring the drink)
Adreon 2-17 with two walks (.118 BA; .211 OBP - fell off cliff after winning B1G POW)
Conclusion: Norman is the guy who makes things happen. He was all but absent the past two weekends. Yes, his shot on Friday against Illinois and two doubles yesterday came in big situations but he failed to produce in two extremely key series. Fullard and Williams - hard to complain with those numbers from the #2 and #3 guys in the lineup. But, damn, after those two, there was about ZERO production from putting balls in play. Hard to win when the guys primarily hitting 4, 5, 6 and 7 are putting up those numbers.
4. So . . . sitting in the stands in IC against Illinois, I noticed several hitters who stepped into the batter's box with a 0-0 count and they are as close to home plate as the batter's box allows. After the first strike (regardless of swinging/looking), they back off the plate a few inches (best guess - about 3 to 4 inches. What in the holy hell is that plate strategy? First and foremost, it left me with the impression that they were trying to mess up Illinois pitching. However, Illinois pitching pounded the zone. You then change your view of the plate and pitch perspective by changing where you stand. Resulted in Iowa's hitters falling behind frequently and, as we painfully know, Illinois racked up the Ks all weekend long. Once I saw this live, I looked for it against NW. Same deal. Makes zero sense to me.
5. IMO, Iowa needs to freaking abandon the calling pitches from the dugout, having the pitcher check his pitch card and then throwing a pitch. I used the stopwatch on my phone to time the gap between pitches on Saturday. About 17-25 seconds between pitches for Davitt. For Lavendar it was rarely above 10. Even if the coaches want to call pitches (but Martin is a Senior!!!!), relay them to Martin and have him call the pitch. There is absolutely no chance for the pitcher to get in a rhythm the coach calling/check notecard approach. I cannot wonder if it drives Martin crazy. I saw him bark at the dugout during the Sunday Illini game when Iowa changed pitchers to Leonard. Martin yelled something at the bench, made a throat slashing gesture and pointed at himself. Leonard never once looked at a notecard and Martin was calling pitches himself.

Baseball is truly the sport for which I have the most passion. Sadly, I grew up a Pittsburgh Pirates fan and, consequently, I have little joy during MLB seasons. Iowa baseball keeps me going and am really thrilled that Heller has Iowa in "tournament" discussions on seemingly a yearly basis. Kills me that they are on the outside looking in again when I think of "what could have been" with Dreyer pitching on Friday, Wallace on Saturday and Bauman on Sunday . . . a healthy closer in Leonard . . . damn.

In any event, I'll hope for a miracle sweep over MSU, that Indiana tanks and that other bubble teams implode.

Sadly, I feel relegated to looking at the current roster and wondering "who's coming back" and what does next year look like?
The offensive implosion down the stretch is frustrating. Fullard was so close to putting the Hawks ahead by 3 in the 8th inning Sunday with his shot to left center. Warning track power....

I'm trying to be optimistic so here me out. Maybe we're being prisoners of the moment a little bit with this NW series loss. Iowa is still 3-2 against NW overall this season. Iowa has some work to do but they can still finish right in line with the 2nd tier of B1G teams. Let's figure Iowa gets the sweep it needs at MSU, Nebraska takes care of Michigan at home, Indiana loses tonight against tOSU then takes the series from Maryland. The final standings would look like this:
Nebby 31-12
--------------------------------
Michigan 27-17 (-4.5) beat Iowa & Ind, lost to MD
Maryland 27-17 (-4.5) beat Mich, lost to Ind & Iowa
Indiana 26-18 (-5.5) beat Iowa & MD, lost to Mich
Iowa 26-18 (-5.5) beat MD, lost to Mich & Ind
tOSU 23-19 (-7.5)
Illinois (-8.5)

Final RPI Rankings would likely be:
Nebby low 40s
Maryland low 70s
Iowa high 70s
Michigan 100
Indiana 100s

The only Q1 games in conference would be against Nebraska and Iowa's 2 wins are more than Indiana and Maryland with 1 and Michigan with 0. Iowa was .400 in Q1 games this season.

Again, it all starts with an Iowa sweep but comparing those resumes, I don't see how you can pick one over the other especially if the baseball committee is anything like the softball committee and the RPI is a factor.

Then you factor in those teams went ~.600 in conference play compared to Georgia/Kentucky/LSU/Alabama that went 13-17 or 12-18 in the SEC or Clemson/Va Tech that went 16-20 in the ACC or Baylor/OU that went 11-13 in the Big 12?

Iowa's .400 mark in Q1 games is a better % than Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Alabama, Clemson, Va Tech, Duke, UNC, Virginia, Cal, and OU.

Granted the RPI is skewed in favor of the Southern bubble teams but that's nothing new, it always is.

Does the committee take Nebraska and no other B1G teams?

Reactions: AuroraHawk
Iowa is 5-4 against Nebraska and Maryland which sucks that they couldn’t sweep the likes of Purdue, NW, or even Rutgers. Even one more win would be big right now.

A side note, I’d love to see Iowa win out and Indiana/Michigan lose out just to see what the committee would do in that instance.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
I'm trying to be optimistic so here me out. Maybe we're being prisoners of the moment a little bit with this NW series loss. Iowa is still 3-2 against NW overall this season. Iowa has some work to do but they can still finish right in line with the 2nd tier of B1G teams. Let's figure Iowa gets the sweep it needs at MSU, Nebraska takes care of Michigan at home, Indiana loses tonight against tOSU then takes the series from Maryland. The final standings would look like this:
Nebby 31-12
Michigan 27-17 (-4.5) beat Iowa & Ind, lost to MD
Maryland 27-17 (-4.5) beat Mich, lost to Ind & Iowa
Indiana 26-18 (-5.5) beat Iowa & MD, lost to Mich
Iowa 26-18 (-5.5) beat MD, lost to Mich & Ind
tOSU 23-19 (-7.5)
Illinois (-8.5)

Final RPI Rankings would likely be:
Nebby low 40s
Maryland low 70s
Iowa high 70s
Michigan 100
Indiana 100s

The only Q1 games in conference would be against Nebraska and Iowa's 2 wins are more than Indiana and Maryland with 1 and Michigan with 0. Iowa was .400 in Q1 games this season.

Again, it all starts with an Iowa sweep but comparing those resumes, I don't see how you can pick one over the other especially if the baseball committee is anything like the softball committee and the RPI is a factor.

Then you factor in those teams went ~.600 in conference play compared to Georgia/Kentucky/LSU/Alabama that went 13-17 or 12-18 in the SEC or Clemson/Va Tech that went 16-20 in the ACC or Baylor/OU that went 11-13 in the Big 12?

Iowa's .400 mark in Q1 games is a better % than Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Alabama, Clemson, Va Tech, Duke, UNC, Virginia, Cal, and OU.

Granted the RPI is skewed in favor of the Southern bubble teams but that's nothing new, it always is.

Does the committee take Nebraska and no other B1G teams?

Iowa sweeps, Mich loses out, Ind loses out then you have

Nebraska 31-12
Maryland 29-15
Michigan 26-18
Iowa 26-18
Indiana 24-20

What happens then? You’d have Iowa 5-4 vs Neb, MD.
Michigan 2-6 vs Neb,MD
Iowa 1-3 vs Mich clear back in week one for the conference.

Granted, I have zero confidence that Iowa can sweep MSU.

D1Baseball is going to update their NCAA projections every day now during this final week of the season. Here is today's projection

Have four B1G teams in: Indiana, Maryland, Michigan Nebraska with Indiana being one of the last five teams in (#61 specifically)

Maryland (#3 seed in Nashville Regional vs. Connecticut)
Indiana (#3 seed in Eugene Regional vs. Georgia Tech)
Michigan (#2 seed in South Bend Regional vs. LSU)
Nebraska (#2 seed in Lubbock Regional vs. California)

Next years roster will be a huge unknown. Especially since it seems like Dreyer and Baumann May be gone as well? I wonder if Iowa will hit the portal? We know they will go juco as well.

D1Baseball is going to update their NCAA projections every day now during this final week of the season. Here is today's projection

Have four B1G teams in: Indiana, Maryland, Michigan Nebraska with Indiana being one of the last five teams in (#61 specifically)

Maryland (#3 seed in Nashville Regional vs. Connecticut)
Indiana (#3 seed in Eugene Regional vs. Georgia Tech)
Michigan (#2 seed in South Bend Regional vs. LSU)
Nebraska (#2 seed in Lubbock Regional vs. California)

Michigan is getting WAY too much credit for the CWS run imo. I think it’s fairly obvious that Maryland is better than Michigan. I think Michigan should be a 3.

The B1G will be a 4 bid conference, just like D1 Baseball has been saying since February.

And 5th place Iowa will be the odd team out.

It sucks but Iowa knew what it had to do vs Illinois & Northwestern and it simply didn't do it.

The B1G will be a 4 bid conference, just like D1 Baseball has been saying since February.

And 5th place Iowa will be the odd team out.

It sucks but Iowa knew what it had to do vs Illinois & Northwestern and it simply didn't do it.
At this point it looks like Iowa needs to sweep MSU and for Maryland to get swept even then the B1G might turn into a 3 bid league...

At this point it looks like Iowa needs to sweep MSU and for Maryland to get swept even then the B1G might turn into a 3 bid league...

What follows would be the standings if:
* Michigan loses all 3 at Nebraska
* Iowa wins all 3 at Michigan State
* Indiana wins all 3 at Maryland

Maryland, Michigan, & Iowa (all at 26-18), head to head records would be:
5-4 Michigan
4-4 Iowa (3-1 vs MD; 1-3 vs MI)
4-5 Maryland

......................................................Games
.......................................................Back

1. Nebraska (32-11, .744)...............--
2. Indiana (28-16, .636).................4 1/2

3. Maryland (26-18, .591).............6 1/2
3. Michigan (26-18, 591)...............6 1/2
3. Iowa (26-18, .591)...................6 1/2

Chad Leistikow & Dargan Southard, the guy who covers Iowa baseball for the Des Moines Register, discussed Iowa baseball's NCAA Tournament chances Wednesday night on the HawkCentral KXNO radio program.

They talked about this at the 40:50 mark (see link below).

Things they discussed:

As we know, Baseball America gave us more hope this week, saying this Wednesday that Iowa was 1 of the first 4 OUT, where Iowa could possibly play their way into the NCAA Tournament this weekend.

Dargain, however, said 2 SWEEPS have to occur for Iowa to have any hope:

* Iowa sweeps MSU

* IU sweeps Maryland OR Maryland sweeps IU

IF both of these things happen, Iowa gets to 4th in the B1G. Dargain thinks the B1G gets 4 teams in.

However, the only team Iowa has been able to sweep this year is Minnesota, by far the worst team in the B1G.

Chad asked what are the issues with this year's team. Dargain said you have to start with the weekend rotation. Wallace could win B1G Pitcher of the Year. The problem is the starting pitching after him, where Iowa has gotten behind early, had to use their shaky bull pen, & play catch up.

And offensively, Iowa left 30 runners on base in the Northwestern series.

LINK TO THE PODCAST:

cc: @BigOHawk @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life @2bagger22 @funnyfletcher @SWIowahawks @whatsup13579er @KyleHuesmann @AuroraHawk @Alum-Ni @Cymonhawk @denmar81

Chad Leistikow & Dargan Southard, the guy who covers Iowa baseball for the Des Moines Register, discussed Iowa baseball's NCAA Tournament chances Wednesday night on the HawkCentral KXNO radio program.

They talked about this at the 40:50 mark (see link below).

Things they discussed:

As we know, Baseball America gave us more hope this week, saying this Wednesday that Iowa was 1 of the first 4 OUT, where Iowa could possibly play their way into the NCAA Tournament this weekend.

Dargain, however, said 2 SWEEPS have to occur for Iowa to have any hope:

* Iowa sweeps MSU

* IU sweeps Maryland OR Maryland sweeps IU

IF both of these things happen, Iowa gets to 4th in the B1G. Dargain thinks the B1G gets 4 teams in.

However, the only team Iowa has been able to sweep this year is Minnesota, by far the worst team in the B1G.

Chad asked what are the issues with this year's team. Dargain said you have to start with the weekend rotation. Wallace could win B1G Pitcher of the Year. The problem is the starting pitching after him, where Iowa has gotten behind early, had to use their shaky bull pen, & play catch up.

And offensively, Iowa left 30 runners on base in the Northwestern series.

LINK TO THE PODCAST:

cc: @BigOHawk @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life @2bagger22 @funnyfletcher @SWIowahawks @whatsup13579er @KyleHuesmann @AuroraHawk @Alum-Ni @Cymonhawk @denmar81
I guess I’m a little disappointed that every just throws Cam Baumann down in the “rest of pitchers” pile. He’s been exceptional all season, except a couple of starts.

I guess I’m a little disappointed that every just throws Cam Baumann down in the “rest of pitchers” pile. He’s been exceptional all season, except a couple of starts.

Baumann was bad through the Nebraska series in Iowa City. Then he just started pitching at another level. He’s been fairly solid since then. I still question why he was pulled on Saturday.

Baumann was bad through the Nebraska series in Iowa City. Then he just started pitching at another level. He’s been fairly solid since then. I still question why he was pulled on Saturday.
At one point he won 5 straight starts, so I just don’t like when people say Trenton Wallace and everyone else.

Irvine and Davitt have actually been good at times, but just haven’t consistently showed it.

At one point he won 5 straight starts, so I just don’t like when people say Trenton Wallace and everyone else.

Irvine and Davitt have actually been good at times, but just haven’t consistently showed it.

I get it, I pulled up Baumann’s stat sheet and two of his worst starts actually came in May. Surprised me when I saw this.

Leaving 30 runners on base is probably more frustrating than the pitching.
especially when you lose those 2 games to Northwestern by a total of 3 runs

but keep in mind that in both losses to Northwestern our starting pitcher did not come out sharp at the very beginning. Iowa was down 3-0 after one inning in both games. In Sunday's game, we then were down 4-0 after 2 innings. Having to play catch up against teams you should be beating is a problem, obviously.

The latest

Not sure if you listened to the podcast. Some of the additional things he talked about:

* It's ddeja vu again this year. He said the 18, 19 and 21 seasons have all trended the same way where there was some postseason buzz in April and May, where the table was set for Iowa to take care of business against teams they should be beating, but they come up short.

* He said he's talked to the folks at both D1 Baseball and Baseball America. He's written several stories for the Register & Press Citizen, of course.

* They both talked about Iowa not being sharp down the stretch. Dargan then said you have to start w/ the weekend rotation and after Wallace, Iowa has not been able to have any consistency. He said Baumann, Irvine, & Davitt (and I quote) "have shown some flashes but, really, the consistency has not been there. And that's what you saw these last 2 weekends with Iowa, getting behind EARLY; those short starts will kill you. And then on top of that, Iowa left 30 runners on base in the Northwestern series and that's pretty crushing if you have a 1 run loss and a 2 run loss....There's never really 1 culprit when things spin out like they have but the pitching on the weekend has been a little inconsistent beyond Trenton Wallace ...."

* To further his point: Over the last 2 series, in the 4 games Wallace did not start (ie, the 4 losses to Illinois & Northwestern): Iowa gave up 17 runs in 15 2/3 innings, which is a 9.77 ERA.

Skip ahead to the 40:50 mark. Its about a 5 minute discussion.

The latest

Not sure if you listened to the podcast. Some of the additional things he talked about:

* It's ddeja vu again this year. He said the 18, 19 and 21 seasons have all trended the same way where there was some postseason buzz in April and May, where the table was set for Iowa to take care of business against teams they should be beating, but they come up short.

* He said he's talked to the folks at both D1 Baseball and Baseball America. He's written several stories for the Register & Press Citizen, of course.

* They both talked about Iowa not being sharp down the stretch. Dargan then said you have to start w/ the weekend rotation and after Wallace, Iowa has not been able to have any consistency. He said Baumann, Irvine, & Davitt (and I quote) "have shown some flashes but, really, the consistency has not been there. And that's what you saw these last 2 weekends with Iowa, getting behind EARLY; those short starts will kill you. And then on top of that, Iowa left 30 runners on base in the Northwestern series and that's pretty crushing if you have a 1 run loss and a 2 run loss....There's never really 1 culprit when things spin out like they have but the pitching on the weekend has been a little inconsistent beyond Trenton Wallace ...."

* To further his point: Over the last 2 series, in the 4 games Wallace did not start (ie, the 4 losses to Illinois & Northwestern): Iowa gave up 17 runs in 15 2/3 innings, which is a 9.77 ERA.

Skip ahead to the 40:50 mark. Its about a 5 minute discussion.

Yeah I haven’t gotten to it yet. I’ll have to listen today.

As you can see below, D1 Baseball continues (since February) to give the top 4 B1G teams a bid to the NCAA Tournament.

And what about 5th place Iowa? Well, as @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life would say, they are a dollar short and a day late.

I am not gonna scoreboard watch because we all know what needs to happen starting Friday, and I doubt BOTH OF THESE THINGS happen.

#1: Iowa must sweep Michigan State

........................AND...........................

#2: IU must sweep Maryland OR Maryland must sweep IU

May 27, 2021

D1 Baseball Projected Field Of 64

The Top 4 B1G Teams are In:
Nebraska (2, at 1 seed Gonzaga)
Maryland (2, at 1 seed Vanderbilt)
Michigan (2, at 1 seed Oregon)
Indiana (3, at 1 seed Notre Dame)

AT-LARGE LADDER (Iowa no where to be found):

Here’s how we size up the at-large candidates as of Thursday morning, listed from safest to least safe on our ladder:

LAST FIVE IN:

60. Indiana

61. LSU

62. North Carolina

63. Louisville

64. California

FIRST FIVE OUT:

65. Alabama

66. Long Beach State

67. Baylor

68. Oklahoma

69. San Diego

I’m preparing myself for one of two things to happen.

1. Iowa finally gets a sweep, but it doesn’t matter due to bid stealers and teams that positioned themselves above Iowa the last two weeks.

2. A sweep will get Iowa in, and the MSU pitcher that hasn’t started in over a year comes out and throws a complete game shutout.

Ok, experts!!! Iowa is in 5th place at the moment, exactly where D1 Baseball predicated us finishing in February.

Correct me if I am wrong, but

3 things have to happen for Iowa to be selected to the NCAA Tournament:

(1) we have to sweep Michigan State

(2) Indiana has to sweep Maryland OR Maryland has to sweep Indiana

(3) Pity from the Selection Committee on Selection Monday, where the Selection Committee takes 4th place in the B1G Iowa as a result of (1) and (2) happening.

Last edited:

1. Iowa finally gets a sweep, but it doesn’t matter due to bid stealers and teams that positioned themselves above Iowa the last two weeks.

2. A sweep will get Iowa in, and the MSU pitcher that hasn’t started in over a year comes out and throws a complete game shutout.
RE: #2, similar to some 3rd string PG from a directional school lighting up Iowa for a career high and then going back to obscurity the next week. :)

I honestly could see us sweeping MSU and MD sweeping IU (or vice versa), which means we finish in 4th place.

Everyone would be ecstatic for the rest of the day Sunday because D1 Baseball has said since Feb that the B1G was a 4 bid conference! NCAA Tournament, here we come! Right?!?

And then, on Monday, we watch as the Selection Committee announces that just the top 3 B1G teams have made the NCAA Tournament.

I honestly could see us sweeping MSU and MD sweeping IU (or vice versa), which means we finish in 4th place.

Everyone would be ecstatic for the rest of the day Sunday because D1 Baseball has said since Feb that the B1G was a 4 bid conference! NCAA Tournament, here we come! Right?!?

And then, on Monday, we watch as the Selection Committee announces that just the top 3 B1G teams have made the NCAA Tournament.

Then we have full outrage over no conference tournament or non conference.

I’ll also say, Look at Michigan’s record and schedule. It’s not that impressive. Yes, I know how the opening series went but I’d make an argument the Covid shutdown impacted Iowa. I think Michigan is getting a lot of love due to the CWS run.

Then we have full outrage over no conference tournament or non conference.

we know the B1G softball coaches are not happy and we know 4th place Iowa got screwed as a result

also, in the preseason interviews, it was clear that Heller was not happy that (1) we were starting 2 weeks late; (2) there were no mid week games; (3) there were no nonconference games.; and (4) there was no B1G Tournament.

I’ll also say, Look at Michigan’s record and schedule. It’s not that impressive. Yes, I know how the opening series went but I’d make an argument the Covid shutdown impacted Iowa. I think Michigan is getting a lot of love due to the CWS run.

Right before the Michigan series, Iowa had to pause for a week, correct? Or was it longer?

Iowa has had a lot of bad luck. Sucks.

we know the B1G softball coaches are not happy and we know 4th place Iowa got screwed as a result

also, in the preseason interviews, it was clear that Heller was not happy that (1) we were starting 2 weeks late; (2) there were no mid week games; (3) there were no nonconference games.; and (4) there was no B1G Tournament.
I can confirm this. Coach Heller was not happy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT