ADVERTISEMENT

Dasonte Bowen Highlights & Updates (2022 Commit)

Not to disrespect the young man, but I think I will take a wait and see attitude until he starts dazzling me in a Hawkeye uniform. I'm sure we saw some amazing highlight videos before, maybe of Perk and Ulis, and we're not really getting what we had hoped from them (good shooters who could consistently drive around defenders and score). And defense seems to be the watchword of the year (decade?), so I wonder about his abilities on that end of the court. The B1G is chockful of great, big guards. Not meaning to be a downer, but he is a three star recruit that will be competing against 4 and 5 stars in this league.

I see that....it was the most recent that was posted on their website....I can't find anything more recent.

i try to keep this thread updated. there just hasn't been much Bowen news lately.

the thread starts with a video from Dec 19, 2021. The videos get more recent as the thread moves along

;)

Not to disrespect the young man, but I think I will take a wait and see attitude until he starts dazzling me in a Hawkeye uniform. I'm sure we saw some amazing highlight videos before, maybe of Perk and Ulis, and we're not really getting what we had hoped from them (good shooters who could consistently drive around defenders and score). And defense seems to be the watchword of the year (decade?), so I wonder about his abilities on that end of the court. The B1G is chockful of great, big guards. Not meaning to be a downer, but he is a three star recruit that will be competing against 4 and 5 stars in this league.

i think he's gonna be the real deal

Reactions: shudaddy
Good story from HawkCentral.

Some excerpts:

Josh Dix and Dasonte Bowen are coming in at the guard position next season....

With the conclusion of the Hawkeyes’ season, let’s look at how Iowa men’s basketball commits performed in 2021-22.

Dasonte Bowen​

Senior | Point guard | Brewster Academy (New Hampshire)

Bowen and Dix have the potential to be a solid backcourt pairing, and Bowen has already proven he can be successful at the elite prep level.

He helped juggernaut program Brewster Academy to the NEPSAC Class AAA championship and a 31-8 overall record this season.

His performance earned him a selection to the All-NEPSAC Class AAA first team.

2021-22 stats: 13.1 points, 4.8 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game

Bowen/Ulis / Conner - PG
Perkins/Dix- 2
PMac / Sandfort/Dix- 3
Kris / ???? - 4
Rebracca / Mulvey / ???? - 5

Need a big and could use a good swing with size; combo 3/4/5 type guy

Perkins has been very solid so far. He's in for a breakout next season.

Bowen/Ulis / Conner - PG
Perkins/Dix- 2
PMac / Sandfort/Dix- 3
Kris / ???? - 4
Rebracca / Mulvey / ???? - 5

Need a big and could use a good swing with size; combo 3/4/5 type guy
IMHO, it will be more like this in Iowa's offense and defense:
PG - Ahron|Dasonte
Wings - Tony|Payton|Dix
Forwards - PMac|Kris|CMac|Payton
Centers - Filip|Kris|Riley
with there being one from each group plus another from the forwards group on the floor at all times. Foul trouble could cause issues at the pg position and force Iowa to use Tony or CMac there but I don't think that would be the norm.
Kris is going to play major minutes so I hope he'll be in the best shape of his life!

Reactions: hexumhawk
Rivals currently lists Dasonte at 6'3". Note, however, that Jason Smith wrote today that Dasonte is 6'2". Jason is the Head Men's Basketball Coach at Brewster Academy.

When you watch his season highlights in the previous post, lots of good things stand out.

He has a really nice handle. He can hit the 3, the mid range jumper, or take it to the basket.

He blows by opponents as he drives to the basket for either a lay up or a pull up, mid range jumper.

As he drives to the basket, he creates great assist opportunities for his teammates.

He's a good on ball defender.

He's going to fit in perfectly with Fran's up and down system. I can see why Fran is so high on him.

His season highlights posted today, April 3.

Watch Here:

STARTER
1631248971_147294_gif-url.gif

I like how he can change directions quickly and also can finish with contact on drives and shots. I am more impressed than before. I was skeptical with him only averaging 13 pts in HS.

I like how he can change directions quickly and also can finish with contact on drives and shots. I am more impressed than before. I was skeptical with him only averaging 13 pts in HS.
Here's a list of some of his current high school teammates--there are a few more mid-major and low-major guys on the team. I don't think 13 points should be that big of a concern.

This aged well.

N

Not sure about day 1, but highly likely he will be by start of Big10. Our resident PG expert BBHawk thinks otherwise though.
I may not think he's going to start this year but he's definitely a good one. And I don't claim to be an expert, but I have been watching Iowa basketball for a long time as an alumnus. From my experience, a returning junior pg who have proved himself as a reliable backup rarely gets displaced by an incoming freshman. That's what I am basing my guess on. Why do you think Dasonte will be the starter? Based on his high school highlight videos?

I may not think he's going to start this year but he's definitely a good one. And I don't claim to be an expert, but I have been watching Iowa basketball for a long time as an alumnus. From my experience, a returning junior pg who have proved himself as a reliable backup rarely gets displaced by an incoming freshman. That's what I am basing my guess on. Why do you think Dasonte will be the starter? Based on his high school highlight videos?
I have seen Bowen live. Will be the most skilled PG Fran has recruited at Iowa. Very smooth player who can get to the rim with ease. His 3 point shot last summer was much improved as well. Not sure he will start right away but Iowa fans will love him immediately.

I have seen Bowen live. Will be the most skilled PG Fran has recruited at Iowa. Very smooth player who can get to the rim with ease. His 3 point shot last summer was much improved as well. Not sure he will start right away but Iowa fans will love him immediately.
Love to hear this. Of course the same was said of Ahron in high school, too. I hope Dasonte can bring that level of play to Iowa/the B1G.

Good to hear that. What is his stat line? I cannot find anything...
Hope he is a good distributor of the ball.

Bowen is a true PG that can also score. Good frame and athleticism. Good feel. Understands angles, change of pace, and is very smooth. He will be the best true PG Fran has had at Iowa

I remember not having much to do just after the COVID shutdown. Ogundele had signed with Iowa but there were very few highlights of him available. So I watched him play a full game for Worcester on YouTube.

Not long into the game Worcester's PG was popping through the screen. He made a move into the lane and I remember thinking to myself, "that kid's a big ten PG, right there." I later came to find it was sophomore Dasonte Bowen. He will be good

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT