ADVERTISEMENT

Day 1 of recruiting for Anthony Knox

Knox has no interest in being a Hawkeye. That became very clear when he was posting on Angelo's recruiting posts how he wanted him to go to Rutgers and that he was disappointed that he chose Iowa. Not surprising at all that it was just Telford who called him. Why waste time/effort on a guy who won't come? He probably got the courtesy phone call so his Dad doesn't come over here posting about how he never got a phone call lol.

wasn’t there a poster saying he was a hawk fan growing up?
Yeah, a PSU fan in a recruiting thread from April claimed he's an Iowa fan. Either he got bad intel, or he was full of it.

Post in question below:

Some good news for you guys…not in stone or anything but my son is good friends with Anthony Knox. I asked him tonight who he wants to wrestle for and he said he loves Iowa. Would be a great get. Tough SOB

That being said. The father is all about the Ivys. I say the kid wins that argument

Reactions: USPMAN and el dub
Knox has no interest in being a Hawkeye. That became very clear when he was posting on Angelo's recruiting posts how he wanted him to go to Rutgers and that he was disappointed that he chose Iowa. Not surprising at all that it was just Telford who called him. Why waste time/effort on a guy who won't come? He probably got the courtesy phone call so his Dad doesn't come over here posting about how he never got a phone call lol.
In my experience with my kids, who are his age, he very well could be trolling. Take nothing they say/do especially online, as serious.

Reactions: ping72 and el dub
In my experience with my kids, who are his age, he very well could be trolling. Take nothing they say/do especially online, as serious.
A possibility, sure. I think he's a stud and would love if he was a Hawkeye. My current confidence level is hovering at about a 0%.

Reactions: el dub
So, a consensus top 10 guy isn't worth the time it takes to have the head coach make a 5 minute phone call?

I would think a lower weight blue chip would get a call directly from brands. Not a great look imo.

How many kids are elite (Iowa level ) in each class? Why would Tom not call all of them? Whether you think he’s coming to Iowa or not. You have to build relationships. Elite kids talk to each other. You may not get this one but it may help with the next one.🤷‍♂️

Wouldn’t a call from Spencer be much more effective? You would think he could make a few calls for the cause. ”hey Spencer, do me a favor. Call these 2 kids at midnight. Tell them we love them and will be in contact tomorrow. Thanks”
That would be illegal

I don’t know that a Jersey high school sophomore wanting another Jersey wrestler to wrestle for a college in Jersey should be construed to mean Iowa would be wasting its time having the head coach or associate head coach reach out to him. But I’ll concede I don’t know more than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
Simply said Iowa needs to recruit better & doing the simply/small things are part of that. It's a choice though.

Shout out to Coach Ersland at Purdue for being on the midnight text list.

Can't believe there was only one coach that called at midnight. Now you see why they got Shapiro.

Simply said Iowa needs to recruit better & doing the simply/small things are part of that. It's a choice though.

Shout out to Coach Ersland at Purdue for being on the midnight text list.

Can't believe there was only one coach that called at midnight. Now you see why they got Shapiro.
If a midnight call makes or breaks the deal something is wrong. The Gable era has come and gone. The 2024 & 2025 recruits when they were 5 or 6 and started wrestling Penn st was winning and that's the only team they know as winners . So everyone else is way behind

If a midnight call makes or breaks the deal something is wrong. The Gable era has come and gone. The 2024 & 2025 recruits when they were 5 or 6 and started wrestling Penn st was winning and that's the only team they know as winners . So everyone else is way behind
That in and & of itself I'd agree, but I'd disagree when you add all of them up. It's a meticulous game.

So, a consensus top 10 guy isn't worth the time it takes to have the head coach make a 5 minute phone call?

He was recently on social media recruiting against Iowa. Surprised they took the time to call him at all. An early inquiry from an assistant seems like the appropriate level of engagement to me. On the oft chance there are positive signs then kick it up a level.

Great video. Tom needs to watch it. What I saw: a top-10 stud nervously waiting to be called at midnight by college coaches. ONE guy called at midnight. ONE.

Tom and Terry need to each make five phone calls between midnight and 12:30. Then spend the next morning making 20 more each before noon. That covers the top 50 guys you want.

Telford?? WTF? That's like a dig.

I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all armchair quarterback, but, jeez, watch the video and tell me with a straight face that we handled that well.

He was recently on social media recruiting against Iowa. Surprised they took the time to call him at all. An early inquiry from an assistant seems like the appropriate level of engagement to me. On the oft chance there are positive signs then kick it up a level.
You posted right before I did, and maybe you're right. Maybe we just had no interest and no inkling of reciprocal interest.

So who did we call at midnight or first thing next morning? Guessing Star was working the phones so who was on the other end?

That's a losing mentality. My kid was a top 20 player and even D2 schools called. Every head coach or recruiting coordinator of a top 10 team called except for one.

No. That’s the mentality of someone who understands planning and focus. He was barely even worth the call they made. I’d have advocated they not bother to call at all.

The same teenager posted "F* Penn State" on social media (it was subsequently removed), yet seemed pretty impressed by Cael's call. Teenagers are pretty fickle.
Also, I can't believe Brands is paying too much attention to social media given some of this off-season's recruiting pushes.

The same teenager posted "F* Penn State" on social media (it was subsequently removed), yet seemed pretty impressed by Cael's call. Teenagers are pretty fickle.
Also, I can't believe Brands is paying too much attention to social media given some of this off-season's recruiting pushes.
Pretty sure that was Anthony Ferrari, not Knox. "#PuckFennState" was the comment.

It's obvious you have never been in the recruiting game. Have a great night fellow wrestling fan.🙂

Lol You have no idea. And also…you have no idea. They kicked the tires. It’s fine. That’s all the time he’s worth. Box checked. Move on.

Pretty sure that was Anthony Ferrari, not Knox. "#PuckFennState" was the comment.

Lol

And if Brands paid that close of attention to social media why is he trying to hard to get the mid Ferrari into school?

Recruiting is sales, period. You can't close the deal if you don't make the pitch.
In sales, not talking to a potential lead because of pre-conceived notions is death. You will be average at best
Master closers never prejudge. I know this because I'm a master closer! 😆
Fact.
Anyone on the board that is a good to great salesperson will 100% agree with what I just said.

Last edited:
Lol You have no idea. And also…you have no idea. They kicked the tires. It’s fine. That’s all the time he’s worth. Box checked. Move on.

Lol

And if Brands paid that close of attention to social media why is he trying to hard to get the mid Ferrari into school?
Really? They kicked the tires? So they committed recruiting violations. Better report that to Vodka.

You are so full of malarkey.

Recruiting is sales, period. You can't close the deal if you don't make the pitch.
In sales, not talking to a potential lead because of pre-conceived notions is death. You will be average at best
Fact.
Anyone on the board that is a good to great salesperson will 100% agree with what I just said.
Right on.

Fact.

Before you pitch, let alone close, you have to qualify the lead. A truly good to great salesperson would know this or they are just all bluster.

Before you pitch, let alone close, you have to qualify the lead. A truly good to great salesperson would know this or they are just all bluster.
Who is in charge of “qualifying “ our leads because they suck according to some real life testimonials like Sasso and Austin O’Connor and they should not be making decisions on Knox.

All top ten pfp have been qualified and should be targeted.
Exactly. You have no idea why the person might not have Iowa on his list. It literally could be something so dumb like his grandfather was denied admission in 1951 and the family holds a grudge. Without talking or even trying this would never come out.
Maybe he heard the women are bitches. You never freaking know what is going through their heads until you at least try and have a meaningful conversation.
Obviously there is a reason why he's not interested. Find the problem, overcome it, bingo, we have a recruit.
It's sales 101.
Sales is sales is sales. Different products, same game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT