ADVERTISEMENT

DeVries (Drake) will be coaching against Iowa next year!

It's all speculation right now, of course.

We know Fran isn't going anywhere so Devries won't be heading to Iowa City. My guess is he's staying at least one more year in Des Moines. Why? His son, Tucker, is a junior this year.

This March 10th story is from the Spokane, Washington newspaper (The Spokesman-Review).

Some excerpts:

Here’s a look at a few early candidates (in alphabetical order).

Randy Bennett, Saint Mary’s

Almost every time there’s a coaching vacancy with a West Coast Power Five team, his name is thrown in the mix. Last year, he reportedly rebuffed overtures from California. During his 23-year tenure at Saint Mary’s, Bennett has built a basketball powerhouse and the Gaels (24-7) are poised to make their 10th appearance in the NCAA Tournament in the past 20 years.

Darian DeVries, Drake

The 48-year-old DeVries has never won fewer than 20 games in a season during his six years with the Bulldogs. This season, Drake is 26-6 and on the verge of its third NCAA Tournament under DeVries. Son Tucker, a 6-foot-7 junior guard, is the two-time Missouri Valley Conference player of the year.

Dusty May, Florida Atlantic

Arguably the hottest name among mid-major coaches, who is reportedly one of the top two candidates for the Ohio State job along with Xavier’s Sean Miller. May is 124-67 over six seasons at Florida Atlantic and surprisingly he returned to the Owls for this year after guiding them to a 35-win season and the Final Four.

Niko Medved, Colorado State

Much like May, Medved has been a rising star among midmajor coaches since guiding the Rams to four 20-win seasons in the past five years. However, since making his only trip to the NCAA Tournament in 2022, the Ram have finished eighth and seventh in the Mountain West.

Kyle Smith, Washington State

Smith is beloved in Pullman after guiding the Cougars to a 23-8 record, second-place Pac-12 finish and an expected NCAA Tournament appearance, which would snap their 16-year postseason drought. But Washington would be foolish not to explore his interest. Besides, the last coach who left WSU for UW turned out pretty good for the Huskies: the legendary Marv Harshman.

Danny Sprinkle, Utah State

Several college basketball pundits believe it’s his job if he wants it. Sprinkle led Montana State to consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances and during his first year at Utah State, the 22nd-ranked Aggies are 22-5 and headed to the Big Dance. Sprinkle is a Pullman native whose father played football at UW.

Link to the story:

I mean this sincerely I think him going to Washington would be bad. He coached in the midwest his entire career.

Reactions: DewHawk
His boy can transfer to Washington without having to sit out as Drake would be going through a coaching change, correct? So I don't think his son having another year left is holding him back.

His boy can transfer to Washington without having to sit out as Drake would be going through a coaching change, correct? So I don't think his son having another year left is holding him back.

Doesn't need even that. He can transfer and be immediately eligible to play. And with the recent court rulings, it appears that any player can now transfer as many times as they want and be eligible to play immediately every time.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
DD will draw interest in open jobs but seems like he is behind a number of candidates for UW job.

He can be picky...staying put to enjoy coaching Tucker at drake is not a bad option as he probably will have another good team next year...then jump.

Reactions: littlez
I like how OP put Drake in parentheses as if there are many other DeVries out there. Unless it’s possible OP knows who Jared DeVries is, which is highly doubtful.

The worst kept secret right now is that Danny Sprinkle will be announced as Washington's coach as soon as their season is over.

I've actually heard a lot of West Virginia buzz with Devries recently--regardless, I think he's coaching somewhere else next season.
None of these rumors make any sense. West Virginia? Washington? Zero connection to either school. No recruiting base at either one of these places either. He’s a Midwest guy and Tucker has 1 more year. He’s not going anywhere.

None of these rumors make any sense. West Virginia? Washington? Zero connection to either school. No recruiting base at either one of these places either. He’s a Midwest guy and Tucker has 1 more year. He’s not going anywhere.

Michael Jordan Shrug GIF by The Ringer

No sense, eh? Not going anywhere, huh? Welcome to West Virginia, Coach DeVries. :)

Money talks, and it spoke eloquently to Darren DeVries.

No sense, eh? Not going anywhere, huh? Welcome to West Virginia, Coach DeVries. :)

Money talks, and it spoke eloquently to Darren DeVries.
Money does talk. I was clearly wrong. I figured he'd stick it out for Tucker's Senior year and then probably take off. West Virginia got a little lucky over the years in having 2 Hall of Fame coaches in Belein and Huggins. The pendulum has now swung totally to the coaches and players. The coach gets to leave, get a big raise and take 3 starters w/him, while the school now has to try and find a coach in a very short amount of time, and the new coach has to start totally from scratch unless he can talk a few of the guys into staying. Life of midmajor.

This is all about taking the opportunity that is there when it presents itself. There is absolutely no guarantee that in 2 or 3 years, or even after next season, that another similar or better job would be available to him. I haven't heard anything about any connections that he had prior with wv. So what? That's true for many coaches that make a significant jump up from a lower tier school to a higher one.
Just for the sake of argument, let's say he flops there and gets canned after 3 years. He's probably looking at least 3-4 times as much just in annual salary than he was making. The last guy that I know of from Drake who did this (Keno Davis) got a nice big pay bump, flopped at Providence then went back down to a mid-major for several years. I doubt that he's lamenting his time at the helm of a higher level program and the buyout he got from that move.
Even though he has a better coaching resume than a guy like Keno, future jobs are not guaranteed in the bball coaching world (unless you're a .500 guy at Iowa then you can stay forever), so almost every coach that has a chance to move up takes it when they can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT