ADVERTISEMENT

Digusted Lifelong Fan

Aug 12, 2002
I'll start this off saying that I'm a lifelong fan of the Iowa Hawkeyes that goes back generations. This season was set up perfectly for us to win a National Championship and that is all gone now because we couldn't beat Purdue of all teams. I'm tired of the such lackluster offense. The QB sneak on 3rd and 2 the first time was a genius move but you can't just repeat a play like that and expect it to work. Look at how Brohm handled the Purdue offense, completely out coached. Did we even realize David Bell was on the field today? The guy has been a Hawkeye killer since Day 1 and it's like we didn't even know that. He now has the most receiving yards ever at Kinnick and with our offense that will never be broken which is very disappointing. Hayden Fry is probably rolling in his grave after seeing the box score yesterday and that makes me sad.

I'm still hopeful we can win out but as a lifelong fan, I've seen this story too many times. I think it's time to move on from Kirk, especially after all the negative press the last few years. He's been a great coach but he looks completely lost when he faces any adversity against a better coach. Let's use the bye week to get better like Purdue did and run the table.

I'll start this off saying that I'm a lifelong fan of the Iowa Hawkeyes that goes back generations. This season was set up perfectly for us to win a National Championship and that is all gone now because we couldn't beat Purdue of all teams. I'm tired of the such lackluster offense. The QB sneak on 3rd and 2 the first time was a genius move but you can't just repeat a play like that and expect it to work. Look at how Brohm handled the Purdue offense, completely out coached. Did we even realize David Bell was on the field today? The guy has been a Hawkeye killer since Day 1 and it's like we didn't even know that. He now has the most receiving yards ever at Kinnick and with our offense that will never be broken which is very disappointing. Hayden Fry is probably rolling in his grave after seeing the box score yesterday and that makes me sad.

I'm still hopeful we can win out but as a lifelong fan, I've seen this story too many times. I think it's time to move on from Kirk, especially after all the negative press the last few years. He's been a great coach but he looks completely lost when he faces any adversity against a better coach. Let's use the bye week to get better like Purdue did and run the table.
I hear you. Fry had Snyder as OC and QB coach.

Two things still bother me about Saturday.

1. the O line looks bad and is not improving.

2. Phil Parker lost my respect by not giving Hankins any help with Bell. It’s insane to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

The QB sneak on 3rd and 2 the first time was a genius move
Genious move? Purdue knew it was coming and had 9 players stacked in the box. I'm not opposed to QB sneaks especially with Linderbaum at Center but honestly, its a little embarrasing how much Iowa relies on that play. Purdue litterally had 3 DTs squezzed together opposite TL on 4th down and they still ran the sneak,

I'm with you on this offense bs.
It's pathetic year after year.
Great at D, special teams, player development, our offense just sucks year after year.

2. Phil Parker lost my respect by not giving Hankins any help with Bell. It’s insane to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
I agree with you, but I honestly don't know if giving Hankins help would have mattered. Bell wouldnt have had those numbers, but everything else was working for Purdue also.

Genious move? Purdue knew it was coming and had 9 players stacked in the box. I'm not opposed to QB sneaks especially with Linderbaum at Center but honestly, its a little embarrasing how much Iowa relies on that play. Purdue litterally had 3 DTs squezzed together opposite TL on 4th down and they still ran the sneak,
Yes the first time was genius as we got the first down with ease. 2nd time was not genius. You can’t keep going to a 3rd and long QB sneak in a game like that. A play action would’ve been a TD when we tried it again.

If we win out (we wont), we will still win the National Championship. We had one free regular season loss and that was it.
We won’t lose again in the regular season with our schedule. Win in Indy and maybe we make the playoff. I have my motel in Indy booked.

We won’t lose again in the regular season with our schedule. Win in Indy and maybe we make the playoff. I have my motel in Indy booked.
Defense has to get turnovers for this team to work. We got a ton of them in weeks 1-6. Need to get back to regular +3 type weeks with this trash offense.

I would bench Tracy and play Johnson and Bruce more. Hell bench Ragaini too so both can get on the field.

Defense has to get turnovers for this team to work. We got a ton of them in weeks 1-6. Need to get back to regular +3 type weeks with this trash offense.

I would bench Tracy and play Johnson and Bruce more. Hell bench Ragaini too so both can get on the field.
What has Tracy ever done to make us think he is any good, honest question?

Phil can't have lost all your respect. What he did to Hankins was totally unfair and we have to press, blitz more and get help on Bell. We can't expect to just beat them doing the same thing. Our zone defense where we rush 4 clearly didn't work.
I didn't mean to quote you and I already hit accept quotes. I like QB sneaks but never without a FB.

I would love to agree with you but we will lose to Nebraska or Minnesota or both, in my opinion.

I have been a lifelong fan as well. I just turned 57 this summer, and I have come to realize the past few years that their is much more to life then whether the Hawkeyes win or lose. It sucks when they lose, but I don't get all worked up about it anymore. I just try and enjoy life as much as I can. :)
I couldn’t disagree with you more. Hawkeye football IS life. I’ve abandoned many family parties to watch Hawkeye football and I regret none of it.

Who do you want to replace him and what are your expectations for the new coach?

Well Coach Orgeron is now available and his players love him and Urban will be available soon. Expectations? An offense that isn’t stuck in the 1940’s would be a start.
So you think Orgeron can recruit the kind of players he got at LSU to Iowa? (which he's like 7-8 with in the last two years by the way) He can't. Next!

You want a head coach that is married and fingers some chick in a bar while the Iowa team travels back home from an away game without him? And then fakes a medical condition to get out of his contract when he's ready for a new gig? Next!

What other fantastic suggestions you got?

We won’t lose again in the regular season with our schedule. Win in Indy and maybe we make the playoff.
We were undefeated a couple days ago and favored to win every remaining game on the schedule - our chance of making the playoff was set at 25% at the time. And we were laughed at because the % was so low as a 6-0 team.

There’s next to a zero percent chance we make the playoff with that double digit loss.

Reactions: sellarsd
I feel you I truly do living a life watching a team go from playing like Champs one week to what's football. Seems to be a reacouring theme.
We either have an offensive or a defense never both.
I new what was happening last Saturday after the first quarter and turned it off by the 3rd. 6 7th

So this begs the question as to why SP didn't check out of that play? If he doesn't have the ability to check into a better play than why is he out there? I've always questioned his ability to read the defense and understand what's going to work and what isn't.

Reactions: CO_hawk
This year was set up perfectly to win the national championship? No. Maybe, if things fell just right, Iowa could have made the CFP like MSU did back in 2015. But win it? Bama and Georgia are on completely different planets talent wise.

Listen, I learned a long time ago not to let my personal expectations about any given situation control my emotions, let alone my entire life.

You need to gain some perspective of what Iowa football is, and has been, for about the last 40+ years. A very solid, formidable program, that generally doesn’t have the top tier, elite talent necessary to compete with the big boys.

Sure Iowa rises up from time to time but 8-4/9-3 type years, especially since 2015 are much closer to reasonable expectations than whatever it is you have brewing in your head.

Geography is Iowa’s biggest obstacle when it comes to recruiting. When’s the last time a Northern team, outside of Ohio St, won the national championship? The elite kids pretty much stay in their own backyard. The South. Until that dynamic changes……

This offense is not a new thing to anybody, it's been like this for YEARS!!! BF is in over his head and any other team in the country would have fired him years ago. I feel for Coach Parker who is by far the best couch on the field every week. You can't expect them to play defense and score all the points as well every week. Why any offensive player would ever want to come to Iowa is beyond me, just the worst offense in the country year after year.

So you think Orgeron can recruit the kind of players he got at LSU to Iowa? (which he's like 7-8 with in the last two years by the way) He can't. Next!

You want a head coach that is married and fingers some chick in a bar while the Iowa team travels back home from an away game without him? And then fakes a medical condition to get out of his contract when he's ready for a new gig? Next!

How about we find a coach that doesn’t promote his incompetent son to OC? We have one of the very worst offenses and qbs in the nation and nothing changes.

Reactions: sellarsd and blhawk
I'm with you on this offense bs.
It's pathetic year after year.
Great at D, special teams, player development, our offense just sucks year after year.
Isn't it amazing. Kirk knows he has had good to great defense and special teams. But won't elevate the offense to round out the team.
Greg Davis was Kirk's splash hire....

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66

Serious question: Do you NOT want to see some major adjustments made? The below statement should trigger you to ask yourself 1) Why? and 2) why does nothing change?
How about we find a coach that doesn’t promote his incompetent son to OC? We have one of the very worst offenses and qbs in the nation and nothing changes.

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66

waaaaa. waaaaa.

Reactions: Lumas Etima

Bob F'n Stoops, the guy who should have had the job in the first place. First wish would be for kirk to evolve offensively but that is a pipe dream. Mind blowing stubbornness

I will see how we respond at **** Wisconsin, then use that to determine if it's basketball season yet.

I think the current philosophy / coach / staff can work. But expecting perfection is not realistic at all. Making it to the B1G championship game and a good bowl, and some solid recruiting classes as a result, is a realistic baseline.

Reactions: TRE 12
I have been a lifelong fan as well. I just turned 57 this summer, and I have come to realize the past few years that their is much more to life then whether the Hawkeyes win or lose. It sucks when they lose, but I don't get all worked up about it anymore. I just try and enjoy life as much as I can. :)
This x100...this team is not set up to win a natty. You have to score points to do that. My granddaughter on my knee took away all my sorrow Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT