ADVERTISEMENT

Dinner for 4 w/Coach Brands at his house.SOLD $10,000k. Hawkfromday1 is WINNER of the DINNER

How about selling tix for a Terry Brands vs Nelson Brands wrestling match!

I believe the correct term for that would be "selling tix to watch Terry and Nelson Brands beat each other to a pulp"

For which I would pay ungodly amounts to watch.

Reactions: Huck
But I do think PBS idea of selling raffle tickets (priced at $50 a piece) and have 3 winners for a dinner with Terry Brands would be great.

What about $100 a ticket for Dan Gable?

Reactions: Huck
I believe the correct term for that would be "selling tix to watch Terry and Nelson Brands beat each other to a pulp"

For which I would pay ungodly amounts to watch.

Does anyone really think that Nelson could do much of anything against his dad? Not until they're both at least 5 yrs. older. Trust me, old-man strength and experience/craftiness count for a lot!

Does anyone really think that Nelson could do much of anything against his dad? Not until they're both at least 5 yrs. older. Trust me, old-man strength and experience/craftiness count for a lot!

Oh it wouldn't be a wrestling match haha I'm sure Terry would get a few scores and then they'd start fighting!

Reactions: el dub
LOL My youngest sister, Shana, said she would pay to get to sit across from Tommy and ask him if he remembers her making him cry back in the day, but those pockets ain't this deep. :D

Hahaha... yea, no worries. You don't need to feel sorry for me. It is what it is. I respect Iowa wrestling. I don't despise you guys or anything.

I just want us to get back to the level of being a legitimate threat to you. It's been a while, but then again, i'm old.

Frank Zappa old?

I'm not crying and this is not about me. I offered another idea for another dinner that could generate money in addition to whatever check the auction winner writes. That idea in no way shape or form takes away from the auction or anything else the HWC is getting. Dial it back a bit and enjoy life.
Chill out Papa, I meant that as a generalization, not to be pointed at you. I apologize if you took it that way but I was responding to your post and addressing the topic you put out. I just don't think a raffle is a good idea (and I'm NOT someone that can afford to win the auction) for a couple reasons.

1. With, let's say a 50$ raffle, that DOES open the door for everyone. However, I don't think that would be best, With the $$$ value getting up so high I believe that works as sort of a screening process. The person(s) that win this dinner aren't going to be the type of people to ask dumb questions or make inflammatory statements that could irritate Brands and potentially ruin a chance of ever doing this again. Yes, that is another generalization but I believe this pseudo filter works for the trial run of this idea.

2. In conjunction with #1, this also prevents fans of other programs from thinking it's funny to potentially win the dinner.

Those are the main reasons I think a raffle would be a bad idea for this type of event, however, I think a raffle for a mat-side seat at a big dual or something along those lines would be a great idea. That is also something that could possibly be advertised on the HawkeyeSports website when inquiring about purchasing tickets.

Last edited:
Chill out Papa, I meant that as a generalization, not to be pointed at you. I apologize if you took it that way but I was responding to your post and addressing the topic you put out. I just don't think a raffle is a good idea (and I'm NOT someone that can afford to win the auction) for a couple reasons.

1. With, let's say a 50$ raffle, that DOES open the door for everyone. However, I don't think that would be best, With the $$$ value getting up so high I believe that works as sort of a screening process. The person(s) that win this dinner aren't going to be the type of people to ask dumb questions or make inflammatory statements that could irritate Brands and potentially ruin a chance of ever doing this again. Yes, that is another generalization but I believe this pseudo filter works for the trial run of this idea.

2. In conjunction with #1, this also prevents fans of other programs from thinking it's funny to potentially win the dinner.

Those are the main reasons I think a raffle would be a bad idea for this type of event, however, I think a raffle for a mat-side seat at a big dual or something along those lines would be a great idea. That is also something that could possibly be advertised on the HawkeyeSports website when inquiring about purchasing tickets.

Stupid! on so many levels

After seeing all the trolls here I'm not sure thats a bad point. You would hope no one would do that but you see some stupid/weird things in this world. I still like the idea of a raffle though. I'm not close enough to go but it would give some of the not so well off a chance. Given the Brands seem like everyday guys I dont think we would have to worry about soup spoons lol.

I like the $100 a ticket for Gable because 1) who would be stupid enough to waste their time in the presence of Gable? Nobody. 2) It would raise more money because people outside of wrestling know who Gable is, thus HWC makes more money and 3) If it is some troll, at least he gets educated by the man himself.

I think we would raise a heck of a lot more than $4500 with a raffle like that. More in the range of 25-50k.

Let's get back on track here, Hawk Fans.

I can't afford to beat the current winning bid. However, I can bid higher than 1/4th of the current winning bid. So, I'm looking for one, two, or three Hawk Fans willing to bid on any combination of the remaining 3 seats at the table.

I'll bid $1200 for one seat. Any combination of additional guests to make up the other 3 seats at that price makes our bid $4800.

Who's with me?

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I like the $100 a ticket for Gable because 1) who would be stupid enough to waste their time in the presence of Gable? Nobody. 2) It would raise more money because people outside of wrestling know who Gable is, thus HWC makes more money and 3) If it is some troll, at least he gets educated by the man himself.

I think we would raise a heck of a lot more than $4500 with a raffle like that. More in the range of 25-50k.
Gable or Brands. It's one thing to troll anonymously on the Internet and may be close to suicidal to do it after being welcomed into a man's home.

Btw it's 100$ not dollars 100. :D

After seeing all the trolls here I'm not sure thats a bad point. You would hope no one would do that but you see some stupid/weird things in this world. I still like the idea of a raffle though. I'm not close enough to go but it would give some of the not so well off a chance. Given the Brands seem like everyday guys I dont think we would have to worry about soup spoons lol.
Trolls will be trolls but a true fan of the sport would love to have dinner with Tom. I know I would...

ADVERTISEMENT