ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointment

What drugs do you take. I might want some. Zain hall nickal Nolf Joseph and Neville were all too 5 recruits if not numbers 1s. U sure are on teh strongest of drugasses. But nice try

What drugs do you take. I might want some. Zain hall nickal Nolf Joseph and Neville were all too 5 recruits if not numbers 1s. U sure are on teh strongest of drugasses. But nice try

Not all top recruits win National Championships. Chance Marsteller was rated ahead of all the PSU guys. Bryce Brill was rated higher than Nolf, Nevills AND Bo Nickal!!. Bo Jordan was the #1 recruit in the country....ahead of Adam Coon, Zain, IMAR, Heil, Tomasello and J'Den Cox. The #4 overall recruit that year was Ben Whitford....yes....Ben Whitford was rated above IMAR and Heil and Tomasello and Cox and Sorenson. Some guys improve....some improve a LOT (Gabe Dean was rated in the '80s and won TWO NC). I was talking about improvement....that was the topic of the post I responded to. You are saying that none of those guys improved?? Nevills went from non-Qualifier to AA ( 5th ) in one year.. Are you choosing to ignore Shak and Cassar and Matt Brown and Lawson etc.? Brown won the NC for goodness sake and was not highly rated ( no where near top 50 ). . I am not exactly certain what " U sure are on teh strongest of drugasses" actually means in English but if you are saying that none of the guys improved or that some of them did not clearly "overachieve" I would have to question what "drugasses" you are currently taking.......but nice try on the attempt at English

Last edited:
I just want the drugs now. The drugs. Bc u must be high as f$$k. Maybe slush fund got u dizzy. I'm not even an Iowa fan but u sir are an idiot. Brill NU Bo Jo oh st but ... Oh wait ur an idiot. U bring up things that have no reason here talking about Iowa vs penn state. You Bring up other teams. Ur so smart. I can't believe ur really this dumb and I will bring this to the BW board if you want. Iowa has been out recruited. I think it's a known fact when ur 133 wrestles for nebby now and Teasdale and mejia recommit its gonna hurt ur lower weight. But having lee thru nevills is funny. U guys must suck at recruiting #caelcantthrowachair

Not all top recruits win National Championships. Chance Marsteller was rated ahead of all the PSU guys. Bryce Brill was rated higher than Nolf, Nevills AND Bo Nickal!!. Bo Jordan was the #1 recruit in the country....ahead of Adam Coon, Zain, IMAR, Heil, Tomasello and J'Den Cox. The #4 overall recruit that year was Ben Whitford....yes....Ben Whitford was rated above IMAR and Heil and Tomasello and Cox and Sorenson. Some guys improve....some improve a LOT (Gabe Dean was rated in the '80s and won TWO NC). I was talking about improvement....that was the topic of the post I responded to. You are saying that none of those guys improved?? Nevills went from non-Qualifier to AA ( 5th ) in one year.. Are you choosing to ignore Shak and Cassar and Matt Brown and Lawson etc.? Brown won the NC for goodness sake and was not highly rated ( no where near top 50 ). . I am not exactly certain what " U sure are on teh strongest of drugasses" actually means in English but if you are saying that none of the guys improved or that some of them did not clearly "overachieve" I would have to question what "drugasses" you are currently taking.......but nice try on the attempt at English

Using a guy (Bryce Brill) as an example of someone who was highly ranked, but underperformed at the collegiate level compared to Nolf, Nevills and Nickal is disingenuous.

You are ignoring the fact that Bryce got injured, wrestled only 10 matches (won all ten) and had to give up wrestling.

Weak.

You used Nevills as an example of "improvement" by saying he went from NQ to AA. You failed to mention that he missed most of that RS fr NQ year due to injury.

Weak.

Your pointing out a couple of highly ranked non PSU guys who didn't do as well as lower ranked guys is pretty meaningless, except to show that rankings are not perfect.

That said, rankings do show statistical significance in predicting success. Generally speaking, in most years, the top decile tends to outperform the 2nd, which in turn, outperforms the 3rd and so on. Blue ribbon recruits are more likely to become AA's and champions than guys ranked 58th or 89th or not in top 100.

Snyder, McKenna and M Jordan were also top 10 in that loaded class of 2014, and like Nolf, Nickal and Nevills, seem to be having success.

PSU had 5 of those top ten 2014 class at one time, but recruited over Haines and Marsteller, so they ended up elsewhere and PSU ended up with "only" 3 top 10 guys in 2014 - Nolf, Nickal and Nevills.

Iowa, by comparison had none.

Guy's do develop at PSU. No one is saying they don't.

But make no mistake, Cael's success is due, in no small part, to getting guys who are already the best in the country, coming out of HS. Over the last 8-9 years, one else has even been close.

I'm not going to dig into all those guys - but do you really believe Hall would suck if he went to minny? Nolf, Nic, and Zain could have teamed up at Texas and made a dream team and started a new program just to piss OK off.
As for the cool new arsenal - others call the left ankle stall lock - wow.
Bottom line - these guys would have excelled anywhere with the exact same individual results.

Goodness Gracious.....no....Hall would have had success wherever he went. But HE is the one who said how much he had improved working in the PSU room. It wasn't me that said it. HE supported his statement by clearly improving throughout the year. Lost to Brucki and Meyer in his first non-redshirt match but came back from losses to Bo Jordan and them to win it all......clearly showing improvement. Nolf lost to Nebraska's Berger in High School but teched him in college. There is much evidence of improvement in the PSU room. That is all I am saying. Lee, Turk, Gunther, Young and Bowman have all shown improvement throughout the year.in the IOWA room.....as did Kemmerer until his injury. Lots of guys improve in their college room. But to say certain schools never show much improvement is just plain false. I think I have provided enough names to verify the point. Lots of wrestlers have improved at Ohio State and Oklahoma State as well. Many examples in other schools as well. Recruit rankings are one thing.....transition to the college 7 min. match with riding time exposes some recruits far more than others

Reactions: cricket185
Wow u just don't quit leave. Gimme the ten starters from penn skate and a mate and I bet I win nationals or anyone with a whistle

Using a guy (Bryce Brill) as an example of someone who was highly ranked, but underperformed at the collegiate level compared to Nolf, Nevills and Nickal is disingenuous.

You are ignoring the fact that Bryce got injured, wrestled only 10 matches (won all ten) and had to give up wrestling.

Weak.

You used Nevills as an example of "improvement" by saying he went from NQ to AA. You failed to mention that he missed most of that RS fr NQ year due to injury.

Weak.

Your pointing out a couple of highly ranked non PSU guys who didn't do as well as lower ranked guys is pretty meaningless, except to show that rankings are not perfect.

That said, rankings do show statistical significance in predicting success. Generally speaking, in most years, the top decile tends to outperform the 2nd, which in turn, outperforms the 3rd and so on. Blue ribbon recruits are more likely to become AA's and champions than guys ranked 58th or 89th or not in top 100.

Snyder, McKenna and M Jordan were also top 10 in that loaded class of 2014, and like Nolf, Nickal and Nevills, seem to be having success.

PSU had 5 of those top ten 2014 class at one time, but recruited over Haines and Marsteller, so they ended up elsewhere and PSU ended up with "only" 3 top 10 guys in 2014 - Nolf, Nickal and Nevills.

Iowa, by comparison had none.

Guy's do develop at PSU. No one is saying they don't.

But make no mistake, Cael's success is due, in no small part, to getting guys who are already the best in the country, coming out of HS. Over the last 8-9 years, one else has even been close.

Actually.....someone did say that no-one has ever shown real improvement at PSU.....which is why I replied in the first place. Cael does get great recruits. I would never deny that. But ...some years...other schools get just as good and occasionally better/ higher rated recruits but don't have quite the same improvement over the years with success. Pitt had the second ranked recruiting class in 2013 but have nothing to show for it.....never even sniffed the top 20. Zero NC and I think...zero AAs. Coaching does matter and PSU, IOWA, Okie State and Ohio State have shown that they do better on a consistent basis of turning a quality recruit into a solid and better wrestler time and time again. That is one reason I roll my eyes when posters want to get rid of the Brands. In terms of turning good wrestlers into great or turning solid wrestlers into NCAA All-American caliber......they are clearly in the top 4 in the country in that easy measurement. Danged sure hoping Marinelli gets Massa again. Not thrilled with his flexing after the match......would love to see Karma bite his arse.

I just want the drugs now. The drugs. Bc u must be high as f$$k. Maybe slush fund got u dizzy. I'm not even an Iowa fan but u sir are an idiot. Brill NU Bo Jo oh st but ... Oh wait ur an idiot. U bring up things that have no reason here talking about Iowa vs penn state. You Bring up other teams. Ur so smart. I can't believe ur really this dumb and I will bring this to the BW board if you want. Iowa has been out recruited. I think it's a known fact when ur 133 wrestles for nebby now and Teasdale and mejia recommit its gonna hurt ur lower weight. But having lee thru nevills is funny. U guys must suck at recruiting #caelcantthrowachair
Get the shit out of your mouth and I might be able to understand you. Or, learn to write.

name one wrestler that cael got at psu that went from good to great. FR year result that is significantly worse than jr/sr year. Ruth? was 3rd at ncs as a fr. Mc from Cali made a little leap - but not so much. everyone comes in as a nc champ. altons never improved. no wrestler improved much.
Bubba Jenkins really improved?

Tough to have a convo about the semantics of words on a message board. To me, being a top 10 P4P recruit doesn't automatically mean multiple time NCAA champ. But that's what he's doing. Further, he's developing those types into not just winners but pinning and bonus point machines. That's where I see his program producing what many others do not.

Wow u just don't quit leave. Gimme the ten starters from penn skate and a mate and I bet I win nationals or anyone with a whistle

Please ...on Monday....take this poor excuse for a coherent sentence to any elementary school and have the 2nd or 3rd graders explain the concept of sentence structure to you.
And why do you constantly talk about you wanting drugs? Really not a good look on your part......but...hey.......whatever floats your " Boat of Delusion " Please try to do better. Attacking me with Hieroglyphics is poor form......very poor form.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Guys, I guess that you may have missed this video from Gable to the Stoneman High wrestling team in Florida. He's talking about how to get over all adversity. You can apply this generally.
Accept the disappointment, and take it on. Simple as that. "Do this, but don't do that." The question is, "How bad does the Hawkeye wrestling team want it?"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7wakuhm5xd43tq/022018DanGable.mp4?dl=0

Reactions: Sportfan2017
Dude. What made you think we were going to compete with those teams? It wasn't a good day at all but that's the thing that consistently amazes me--too many Iowa fans watch us get dusted by PSU and tOSU all year or for several years but somehow still have it in their heads that we will magically wake up one day and be competitive.

News flash: this race for Iowa was for 3rd. Same for NCAAs. This is going to be true most years until Iowa or other teams change the way they do business. Not many teams are going to do that.
I knew it was a two team race. I didn’t think we’d be getting our freaking doors blown off. Just frustrating, knowing our recent post season history.

Reactions: 24 so far
Easy? Who said easy? A sr, previous national champ barely beats our true freshmen. Kerm gets pinned by a real quality wrestler who has always been scary like that. In my mind, a fluke position that went against him. Bull got beat by a high AA and damn tough. Still pinned by a guy who beat a 2x national champ and Olympic champion.

No I don’t agree about the training. I agree there are people who need to let go of an expectation based on success 20 years ago.
Problem is, I’m using the sample size of the last 8 years, not just last night.

Reactions: 24 so far
Guys, I guess that you may have missed this video from Gable to the Stoneman High wrestling team in Florida. He's talking about how to get over all adversity. You can apply this generally.
Accept the disappointment, and take it on. Simple as that. "Do this, but don't do that." The question is, "How bad does the Hawkeye wrestling team want it?"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7wakuhm5xd43tq/022018DanGable.mp4?dl=0

That was a really good example of how to react to serious issues on the mat....or in life. Knowing the backstory with his sister really makes his short video a powerful and welcome expression to Stoneman High Wrestlers and all students for that matter. Well done.....and it seems to have provided their wrestlers with real motivation....as shown in their performance on the mat. Gable gets two thumbs up.

I was certainly disappointed yesterday. I’m tired of saying “we’re just a year or two away.” I feel like I’ve been saying that for 10 years. I thought we had a real shot at 4-5 national champs this year, and 7-8 AA’s. Now I’ll be happy with 1 title and 5 AA’s.
Now that I’m done complaining... I keep saying “but replace with whom?” The answer is... nobody. It’s not perfect, but we have the best option in place. We’re not the top program anymore... get over it... we are a top 3-4 program... that’s pretty damn good.

I was certainly disappointed yesterday. I’m tired of saying “we’re just a year or two away.” I feel like I’ve been saying that for 10 years. I thought we had a real shot at 4-5 national champs this year, and 7-8 AA’s. Now I’ll be happy with 1 title and 5 AA’s.
Now that I’m done complaining... I keep saying “but replace with whom?” The answer is... nobody. It’s not perfect, but we have the best option in place. We’re not the top program anymore... get over it... we are a top 3-4 program... that’s pretty damn good.
Ditto /\/\/\
I thought the Hawks had the potential for 5 B1G finalists/champs. Odds are we end up with only 1 finalist and 0 champs. That said, let's see how much grit the team has to battle back for individual thirds.

I am sure this same discussion will be had on here a year from now as it was last year and the year before that..........................................................................................................

Good for you and your friend. Again, dig deeper. Getting a bunch of top guys outside the top 20-30 bodes well for recruiting rankings but has much less meaning that signing elite talent.

BTW, I think Cael does a great job developing wrestlers. He takes many from good to great.
I will dig deeper this week and post the individuals who were ranked.Off the top of my head I know Alton's were real high so was Guilibon and they didn't live up to there rankings but neither did
Nick Moore,Evans,Dziewa or Ballweg.

If you look at recruiting over the last 10 years
Iowa has out recruited Penn St.Took the numbers off D1CW in the last 10 years Iowa has been ranked higher then Penn St in 7 of the 10 years.In those 10 years Iowa with 1 title and Penn St with 6.Iowa has had 3 #1 classes and Penn St 1.The 10 year average for recruiting ranking is Iowa 3.7 and Penn St 11.9

My nominee for Funniest Post of the Year Award.

Easy? Who said easy? A sr, previous national champ barely beats our true freshmen. Kerm gets pinned by a real quality wrestler who has always been scary like that. In my mind, a fluke position that went against him. Bull got beat by a high AA and damn tough. Still pinned by a guy who beat a 2x national champ and Olympic champion.

No I don’t agree about the training. I agree there are people who need to let go of an expectation based on success 20 years ago.
Problem is, I’m using the sample size of the last 8 years, not just last night.

It is not your sample size. It is what you measuring it against.

I will dig deeper this week and post the individuals who were ranked.Off the top of my head I know Alton's were real high so was Guilibon and they didn't live up to there rankings but neither did
Nick Moore,Evans,Dziewa or Ballweg.

I’ll save you some time. Since 2010, these are top 10 wrestlers that PSU recruited: Alton, Alton, McIntosh, Megaludis, Gulibon, Retherford, Nolf, Nevills, Nickal, Joseph, Hall, Suriano, Manville, Berge, Verkleeren.
These are top 10 guys Iowa has recruited since 2010: Evans, Kemerer, Marinelli, Lee and Warner.

Penn State has recruited 10 more top 10 wrestlers than Iowa, the fact that they have only had only a single number 1 recruiting during that span is laughable.

I'm not going to dig into all those guys - but do you really believe Hall would suck if he went to minny? Nolf, Nic, and Zain could have teamed up at Texas and made a dream team and started a new program just to piss OK off.
As for the cool new arsenal - others call the left ankle stall lock - wow.
Bottom line - these guys would have excelled anywhere with the exact same individual results.

Goodness Gracious.....no....Hall would have had success wherever he went. But HE is the one who said how much he had improved working in the PSU room. It wasn't me that said it. HE supported his statement by clearly improving throughout the year. Lost to Brucki and Meyer in his first non-redshirt match but came back from losses to Bo Jordan and them to win it all......clearly showing improvement. Nolf lost to Nebraska's Berger in High School but teched him in college. There is much evidence of improvement in the PSU room. That is all I am saying. Lee, Turk, Gunther, Young and Bowman have all shown improvement throughout the year.in the IOWA room.....as did Kemmerer until his injury. Lots of guys improve in their college room. But to say certain schools never show much improvement is just plain false. I think I have provided enough names to verify the point. Lots of wrestlers have improved at Ohio State and Oklahoma State as well. Many examples in other schools as well. Recruit rankings are one thing.....transition to the college 7 min. match with riding time exposes some recruits far more than others

Because Hall says so? Good objective way to look at it.

Here’s the thing, I started this thread because yesterday was a disappointment. I am a basketball and football fan but some of you on here apparently think others couldn’t possibly like or be into wrestling. Instead of ridiculing people for liking wrestling you get the good old well you didn’t wrestle so go away. I remember winning championships and now we qualify one to the finals if the big ten and I say it was disappointing and a lot of you are wanting some sort of moral victory because well we weren’t supposed to be good. I love watching iowa wrestling and wrestling in general, and yesterday not one person on this board can say that’s a fan that it wasn’t disappointing. End of story and I realize qualifying 9 is great but come on it’s about the quality not the number, some of those guys won’t do anything at all. Which sucks

Here’s the thing, I started this thread because yesterday was a disappointment. I am a basketball and football fan but some of you on here apparently think others couldn’t possibly like or be into wrestling. Instead of ridiculing people for liking wrestling you get the good old well you didn’t wrestle so go away. I remember winning championships and now we qualify one to the finals if the big ten and I say it was disappointing and a lot of you are wanting some sort of moral victory because well we weren’t supposed to be good. I love watching iowa wrestling and wrestling in general, and yesterday not one person on this board can say that’s a fan that it wasn’t disappointing. End of story and I realize qualifying 9 is great but come on it’s about the quality not the number, some of those guys won’t do anything at all. Which sucks

Go back to your fire fran & fire ferentz threads.

Iowa has out recruited Penn St.Took the numbers off D1CW in the last 10 years Iowa has been ranked higher then Penn St in 7 of the 10 years.In those 10 years Iowa with 1 title and Penn St with 6.Iowa has had 3 #1 classes and Penn St 1.The 10 year average for recruiting ranking is Iowa 3.7 and Penn St 11.9
probably says more about the rankings than the recruiting. imho.

Reactions: ih8iast8
I have never one in my entire life have said to fire Ferentz. He is iowa and is the classiest human being and coach ever! He is iowa. Fran is another story but doesn’t mean I don’t support him, same with Brands, love his intensity but gotta do better. So no I’m not going away bud

Ok, what happened to Phil Laux? I may be having a lapse.....I just wonder how Glynn had or was our best option...

And PS we are super young... I have high hopes moving beyond this year, which to these guys, ain’t even close to over....

The loss of Rathbun and Wagner hurts even more. Rathbun was easily putting the beating on Glynn last year.

I’ll save you some time. Since 2010, these are top 10 wrestlers that PSU recruited: Alton, Alton, McIntosh, Megaludis, Gulibon, Retherford, Nolf, Nevills, Nickal, Joseph, Hall, Suriano, Manville, Berge, Verkleeren.
These are top 10 guys Iowa has recruited since 2010: Evans, Kemerer, Marinelli, Lee and Warner.

Penn State has recruited 10 more top 10 wrestlers than Iowa, the fact that they have only had only a single number 1 recruiting during that span is laughable.
Thank you Finally someone that gets it. It’s also laughable that a bunch of guys that obviously know nothing about the sport of wrestling and what it takes to make it through the Big’s just to get a chance at the nationals. Just because your an Iowa sports fan does not mean you have any idea how Wrestling works. Please don’t compare other sports, coaches or bring up the Gable days the whole landscape of wrestling has changed completely.

This is complete bullshit and has been debunked numerous times on here. I am not even going to bother to do it again.

Last edited:
So then the question is why can't Iowa and Brands land top level recruits?

Maybe you're new here but this has been debated ad nauseum. The two he got last year were great. The current class was a strikeout in that area.

The loss of Rathbun and Wagner hurts even more. Rathbun was easily putting the beating on Glynn last year.

They didn't wrestle last year. Rathbun's performance was unimpressive. So was Glynn's but still not seeing the hurt there.

My expectations aren't to match the Gable years. My expectations are to not under perform, compared to the bodywork of the season. This is something that has consistently happened over the last 8 years.
You do realize the Hawks at the end of the day will qualified 9 out of 10 can you just let the rest of the season play out. Mark my words it will get better these nationals and moving forward. Don’t jump yet if it does not get better I will meet you at your nearest bridge and give you a push myself....:eek::D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT