ADVERTISEMENT

Do you agree where Iowa sits in the PS Coaches poll?

Hawkeyeinsoutherncalifornia

HR All-American
Mar 9, 2017
Van Nuys, California
And if you could shift (take out or move up or down) whom would it be and why? I personally think (with my Black & Gold glasses on) that Iowa should be around 15th because of the defense they bring back alone ... plus you add a 3 year starter at QB and some up and coming WR’s in Smith and Smith-Marsette plus a bevy of young talent ... now if we can only get the run game going up to standards ...

But I won’t bitch where they put Iowa at 19th... not too far out of the top 15 or Top 10 so the road to the top 5 isn’t too far off

;-)

I would move Florida, Penn State, Michigan, Texas and last but not least a extremely “green” and unproven Wisconsin team (probably out of the Top 25 but as usual Wisconsin deserves it every year as they’ve been the GOAT of the BTW Division.

And if you could shift (take out or move up or down) whom would it be and why? I personally think (with my Black & Gold glasses on) that Iowa should be around 15th because of the defense they bring back alone ... plus you add a 3 year starter at QB and some up and coming WR’s in Smith and Smith-Marsette plus a bevy of young talent ... now if we can only get the run game going up to standards ...

But I won’t bitch where they put Iowa at 19th... not too far out of the top 15 or Top 10 so the road to the top 5 isn’t too far off

;-)

I would move Florida, Penn State, Michigan, Texas and last but not least a extremely “green” and unproven Wisconsin team (probably out of the Top 25 but as usual Wisconsin deserves it every year as they’ve been the GOAT of the BTW Division.
Are you saying you would move Michigan out of the top 25? You're not serious I hope? They certainly have the pedigree and look of a top ten team. Now if they don't perform thats one thing, but they have all the pieces.....:confused:

Penn State is the team I would move down.

On the positive side for them, their DL looks really, really good. We had big problems with trying to move them last year.

On the other hand, everywhere else is a great big question mark. Their QB was their whole offense. Gone. Their back-up played a different game, but he left the team. I think a dozen or more of his teammates did the same. I just don’t see how they are going to score points.

No, no... just move them down a bit, my bad I didn’t explain it well enough
OK then. Actually at first glance I would say Michigan at #7 is probably about spot on given their returning talent, etc... but of course you just have to see how it plays out. Of course old Jimbo seems to make some costly coaching error and cost them a game almost every year, so? I know one thing he better beat OSU this year under a new coach and things pretty much set up for him, or those natives are going to start getting restless. You can kind of see the questions starting to pop up in the national media as well, if not this year then when Jim??

Penn State is the team I would move down.

On the positive side for them, their DL looks really, really good. We had big problems with trying to move them last year.

On the other hand, everywhere else is a great big question mark. Their QB was their whole offense. Gone. Their back-up played a different game, but he left the team. I think a dozen or more of his teammates did the same. I just don’t see how they are going to score points.
Agree, but I think at this point Franklin, (another serious creep in the BIG coaching ranks), gets the nod because of how he has steadied the ship after after Joe Pa's fallout. Unfortunately for the BIG, he and Dantonio seem to have a lot in common, and not in a good way either...

Reactions: ellobo
As far as Iowa goes, I think 19th before the season has begun is about right. If we handle ISU on the road than I expect us to move up. I would like to see us inside the top 15 when the B1G part of our schedule begins. Because we are not a blue blood program our reputation will not get us ranked early. We have to prove on the field.

The poll certainly reflects what should be a strong B1G West. Iowa gets a lot of respect, going from #26 at end of last season up to #19. Wisky and Neb get what I'd call ridiculous respect, Wisky going from 2 votes to 436 votes and #17, and Neb going from 0 votes and 4-8 record to 152 votes and #26.

Those three, along with Michigan St going from 0 votes to 313 and #20, represent 4 of the biggest moves up from the end of last season. This came, of course, at the expense of a number of mid-majors, who dropped like flies (Boise St, Fresno St, Utah St, Army, Cincinnati) probably due simply to being mid-majors with small followings.

Although I'm certainly tired of the overall top-heaviness of college football the past 4 seasons, 2019 should still have some great moments.

These pre-season polls are mostly nonsense. It IS fairly safe to say that the Top 4 teams are likely to remain at or near the top.

The poll certainly reflects what should be a strong B1G West. Iowa gets a lot of respect, going from #26 at end of last season up to #19. Wisky and Neb get what I'd call ridiculous respect, Wisky going from 2 votes to 436 votes and #17, and Neb going from 0 votes and 4-8 record to 152 votes and #26.

Those three, along with Michigan St going from 0 votes to 313 and #20, represent 4 of the biggest moves up from the end of last season. This came, of course, at the expense of a number of mid-majors, who dropped like flies (Boise St, Fresno St, Utah St, Army, Cincinnati) probably due simply to being mid-majors with small followings.

Although I'm certainly tired of the overall top-heaviness of college football the past 4 seasons, 2019 should still have some great moments.
Michigan State is going to be really, really good. They return a huge chunk of the best defense in the country. The injuries they sustained on offense last year was insane. Basically, it would have been like Iowa losing more than half of its starters on offense. Things wouldn’t look pretty.

Iowa is rated about right coming off a bowl victory where they beat the #1 defense in the country. Iowa lost some valuable and talented players, but they have depth and experience behind them. The D-line is a great example of this - 2 highly-respected players in Nelson and Hesse were very good, experienced players, but I think the sum of Gholston and Epenesa will be better. Similarly, I think that Lattimore, Nixon, Reiff, and Shannon can be very good to great on the interior. The LBs behind them are a year older, more experienced, and more comfortable with the "Cash" position now that it has had time to develop. The corners (Ojemudia, Hankins, Brents, and Moss) all have substantial quality experience. The safeties (Stone and Meriweather) are new as starters for the most part but they both have played and proved themselves.

The offense has some question marks, but they are in areas where Iowa normally reloads. The guards and center have depth and some experience. The tackles are literally All-Americans. The TEs are at least serviceable and could end up being a strength again given Iowa's track record. The skill positions look stronger than they have since 2015. Stanley is a 3-year starter. If not for the freak injury to his thumb last year I think we would have seen much better results. That said, he still threw for 26 TDs. He is able to avoid sacks and big enough so that it is hard to bring him down. The wideouts are older, more experienced, and generally deeper and more talented than I have seen at Iowa for many years. The Smiths and Tracy should provide some dynamic plays. Ragiaini sounds like he will provide the 3rd down posession type receiver that Iowa always seems to have but this time, there really willbe big-play capable receivers flanking him. The 3 sophomore running backs are now juniors- bigger, stronger, faster, and hopefully healthy starting the year. The competition alone should make that position better.

For Special Teams, the kicker is not named Recinos but he will be experienced. Duncan was a kicker who has performed and produced under pressure. Shudek is the new kid but he has been on team for a couple of years. Both kickers have had decent reports, but we will have to wait and see on who comes out as the starter. The punters are experienced and, with the grad transfer from AZ Sleep Dalton, I think punting will be a strength this year.

All of this makes me think that Iowa is set up for a good to great year. Generally with Iowa, if they have a great defense and a good ball-control offense, they have a successful season. If they have good special teams, they can have a great year. So the long answer to the OP's question is yes, I think Iowa should be ranked where they are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT