ADVERTISEMENT

Dochterman says that once a couple QBs hit the Portal Iowa will be all over them

Was listening to the voice of college football’s Iowa podcast today and they ranked Sullivan the lowest on the big ten QB scale. I was wondering if he was truly that bad? Didn’t NW light up a team before they played us? Can’t imagine him being ranked lower than Deacon.
Not sure if Sullivan played/started the game you're thinking of, as a matter of fact, it appears that Ben Bryant played/started the majority of NW's games last year.

Per ESPiN 2023 CFB Stats:

*Hill was dead last in conference QBR rating

The biggest thing going against us getting a good portal QB is the word is out on KF and how loyal he is to QB1. QB1 has to be on his deathbed to get replaced. Why would anyone come here expecting a fair competition. KF is just going to give Cade the keys until he sputters and dies.
neat.

Not sure if Sullivan played/started the game you're thinking of, as a matter of fact, it appears that Ben Bryant played/started the majority of NW's games last year.

Per ESPiN 2023 CFB Stats:

*Hill was dead last in conference QBR rating
Sullivan had his best game of 2023 against Maryland the week before playing Iowa. But he was playing only because Ben Bryant was injured. Bryant was QB1 when healthy and was a much better QB. Sullivan can be a serviceable backup so long as you temper your expectations. He is not QB1 quality.

Sullivan had his best game of 2023 against Maryland the week before playing Iowa. But he was playing only because Ben Bryant was injured. Bryant was QB1 when healthy and was a much better QB. Sullivan can be a serviceable backup so long as you temper your expectations. He is not QB1 quality.
Idk if you only count the games where he actually had any real playing time, he is 72% against Howard (33 total plays) , 52.2 against Nebraska (37 plays) , 69.6 against Maryland (37 plays) and 63.2 against Iowa (35 plays). The rest of his games he only had 13 plays, 11 plays and 8 plays. Not saying he does not need work, but I don't think he is very far behind. In 2021 last time Cade played a full season his avg was 64.6%. Granted he played some better teams. Again granted different teams from year to year, in 2021 Cade hit 75% against Maryland and 57.9 against Nebraska. So he didn't lite it up quite as good as a healthy Cade on a stacked Michigan team, but for Northwestern he did pretty well I would say. My biggest question would be can he hit the 20 yarders or is he pretty limited to short dump passes???

we at least need a serviceable QB2

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Coincidence this happened the same morning as Deacon’s announcement?

He had a very nice completion %, but don’t know much else about him. NU tends to like mobile QBs, so hopefully he has a decent pocket presence (if we were to get him). Sounds like a good, safe option for Iowa - at this stage in the game, I’d be happy if he signed….😎

Reactions: Franisdaman
He had a very nice completion %, but don’t know much else about him. NU tends to like mobile QBs, so hopefully he has a decent pocket presence (if we were to get him). Sounds like a good, safe option for Iowa - at this stage in the game, I’d be happy if he signed….😎
I get a funny feeling we have offered him but he is checking options at this point. Meaning he KNOWS two things:
- If Cade stays healthy he rides the bench for the year. (Which I am sure he does not want to do)
- If Cade does not stay healthy he is QB1 most likely.

I get a funny feeling we have offered him but he is checking options at this point. Meaning he KNOWS two things:
- If Cade stays healthy he rides the bench for the year. (Which I am sure he does not want to do)
- If Cade does not stay healthy he is QB1 most likely.
Where else is he going to get the possibility of starting? He was pretty much going to be the starter at NW. So if he is looking for a better team and the real possibility to start, he is not going to find anything better then what Iowa is offering. He may be good, but he does not have a ton of experience and hardly any against top level teams. So he still needs refining. He just entered yesterday, it would be nice to have someone here during the summer who can participate in player sanctioned activities though.

Where else is he going to get the possibility of starting? He was pretty much going to be the starter at NW. So if he is looking for a better team and the real possibility to start, he is not going to find anything better then what Iowa is offering. He may be good, but he does not have a ton of experience and hardly any against top level teams. So he still needs refining. He just entered yesterday, it would be nice to have someone here during the summer who can participate in player sanctioned activities though.
You never know what might be out there.....

Where's Tony.

Happy Nodding GIF by Tony Robbins

Good call and perfect example…He has made a lot of money and a lot of lifelong happy people, by just showing them negativity and a shitty attitude is no way to live…

Nice follow up😃

You never know what might be out there.....

True. UCLA also has a lot going against it compared to Iowa as well. All new staff, not near the defense we have. As a qb, you like to have a good cast of offensive players, but you have to appreciate a srout defense as well. Sucks to put up 45 points, play your heart out and still lose. Tough to get to any important games like that.

With Tim Lester, a former QB, I am hopeful he gets the QB room fixed. If he adds a QB, I am hopeful that it improves the room.

I wonder what he really thinks about who's left.

The Current Iowa QB Room:

Gone:

The biggest thing going against us getting a good portal QB is the word is out on KF and how loyal he is to QB1. QB1 has to be on his deathbed to get replaced. Why would anyone come here expecting a fair competition. KF is just going to give Cade the keys until he sputters and dies.
What is the likelihood that Cade plays:
All Games 5%
9+ games 15%
6+ games 35%
5 or less games 45%

Reactions: dadster
It isn't Lester that will be adding anybody. KF is the head coach and the one who makes those decisions

Good grief. So, you think it is KF who is evaluating all of the QBs in the portal? Or is it Lester?

It's obviously Lester.

And if Lester is interested in a portal QB, he then obviously discusses it with KF.

Lester is trying to fix the QB room (and the offense, obviously). Getting Deacon to move on by entering the portal is just the start to fixing the mess he inherited.

Was listening to the voice of college football’s Iowa podcast today and they ranked Sullivan the lowest on the big ten QB scale. I was wondering if he was truly that bad? Didn’t NW light up a team before they played us? Can’t imagine him being ranked lower than Deacon.
Sullivan's stats for the last 2 years are easy to find on espn. Based on these stats I would say you either mis-heard what was on the podcast or the podcasters are delusional. Those are very good stats below. I would say that if Iowa had Sullivan last year and he could have completed passes at that percentage the hawks play offense much better. But I suspect our offense would have limited him. At 7.2 yards per attempt that is very good and probably few turnovers.

Career Stats​

See All
STATS

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
yeah, i would be surprised if we don't land a decent QB; and I don't think Lester is messing around and playing favorites so if a new QB happens to be better than Cade, then the new QB plays

Cade having mobility issues is a reason that Lester could start someone ahead of him. If one of the QBs is as good as Cade and can run better and move around better then maybe Lester starts that other qb

Reactions: Franisdaman
It isn't Lester that will be adding anybody. KF is the head coach and the one who makes those decisions
You are just spewing with no substance. It has been documented many times that Kirk delegates to his assistants. Hopefully Lester finds a good QB in the portal that fits his system and can get him to Iowa. His preferance is:

1. A QB with mobility
2. Efficient QB
3. QB with the arm to take shots downfield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT