ADVERTISEMENT

Does CJ Fred have NBA potential?

ObeseMuffins

HR MVP
Jan 7, 2007
Everyone is talking about Garza and Wiesy. Honestly, does CJ Fred have NBA potential? Is Tyler Herro a realistic comp or am I reaching? Is he maybe too small?

Everyone is talking about Garza and Wiesy. Honestly, does CJ Fred have NBA potential? Is Tyler Herro a realistic comp or am I reaching? Is he maybe too small?

I don’t know about NBA potential, I’ll wait till after next season to even think about it. But, he has very good size for a point guard, and very adequate size as a shooting guard.

Reactions: GRT2B1
If JJ Reddick can play in the league for 15 years plus this dude can... 48 percent from three is not a joke

Get a handle play for two decades

Reactions: papabeef
3 and D has been working for Korver for almost 2 decades. It won’t be easy, but it is possible if he can improve his game and athleticism over the next several years. I don’t see him leaving early though. The 3 and D guys are usually 2nd founders or UDFAs. The major thing working against him is his height. Being at only 6’3” really hampers your ability to play SG in the NBA unless you are an elite skilled player.

Reactions: kceasthawk
3 and D has been working for Korver for almost 2 decades. It won’t be easy, but it is possible if he can improve his game and athleticism over the next several years. I don’t see him leaving early though. The 3 and D guys are usually 2nd founders or UDFAs. The major thing working against him is his height. Being at only 6’3” really hampers your ability to play SG in the NBA unless you are an elite skilled player.

Spot on, though Korver is like 6'7" so is able to shoot over a lot of people. As you mentioned CJ, at 6'3" will have to work harder to get his shot off, but he has a lot of great skills. Just below average athleticism for typical NBA guard. Fringe NBA, likely could play overseas?

Hopefully, Garza, Wieskamp & Fredrick
play 4 years for Iowa. At that point it will
be a better time to rate their NBA future.

Who was the last Iowa Hawkeye who had
a starting role in the NBA?

If CJF continues to develop defensively, adds some strength to be able to defend competently inside when he's switched on forwards (at the NCAA level), I would say he has a shot. He's clearly a talented scorer, and pretty good athlete. He's been a competent ball handler as a RSFR, so if that improves some as well, he should get a look.

If JJ Reddick can play in the league for 15 years plus this dude can... 48 percent from three is not a joke

CJ is my favorite Iowa player, he wont have 10% the college career JJ Redick had. Redick is top 20 all time points in college basketball history. AP National Player of the Year, 2 time first team all american.

Last edited:
Hopefully, Garza, Wieskamp & Fredrick
play 4 years for Iowa. At that point it will
be a better time to rate their NBA future.

Who was the last Iowa Hawkeye who had
a starting role in the NBA?

• Evans started 7 games in 2014-2015
  • Marble started 7 games in 2014-2015 (he played 28 games in 2015-2016 but never started)
  • Bowen started 3 games in 2008-2009
  • Reiner started 2 games in 2006-2007
  • * Uthoff played 9 games in 2016-2017 but had zero starts
  • * Cook has played in 11 games in 2019-2020 but zero starts

Maybe, the NBA is a tough gig. Some good college players pull too many disappearing acts to make it in the NBA.

giphy.gif

CJ is good for a first year player. Let's not get crazy though. Hopefully he'll end up being a regular for the next 3 years.

He is not on Jimmer Fredette or JJ Redick's level. Not even close.

QUOTE="AestroHogs, post: 7377292, member: 101337"]His ceiling is Jimmer Freddette[/QUOTE]

He’ll take and make decent looks at crunch time. He doesn’t create his own looks and while he defends pretty well that seems to have taken a slight step back since his foot problems. NBA is probably not his future.

He’ll take and make decent looks at crunch time. He doesn’t create his own looks and while he defends pretty well that seems to have taken a slight step back since his foot problems. NBA is probably not his future.
What? He gets into the lane and shoots pull ups, finishes back door cuts/baseline drives, pump fakes and side-steps...

There is no one on the Iowa roster who will be playing in the NBA in the 20-21 season. Garza and JW will return because they’re not getting drafted and they owe it to JBO. If JW makes a leap between sophomore/junior year he may then bounce.

CJF isn’t NBA potential unless he masters the dribble drive and mid-range jumper.

Reactions: MontyMufsnipher
CJF and Weiskamp have benefitted tremendously from Garza down low so I don't know if CJF is NBA material yet. See how he does after Garza leaves. If Garza stays, Joe W. should stay, too, because another season with the focus on Garza will help Weiskamp look really good again next year. Joe W., right now, is probably a 2nd round pick at best. Garza is the guy who could possibly go first round whether he comes out this year or next. I haven't seen CJF and Weiskamp handle double and triple teams. When Garza's been in foul trouble, CJF's offensive production pretty much disappears. Weiskamp fares somewhat better with Garza on the bench, but still doesn't take over the game when he's the focal point. One more year for Weiskamp could make a big difference in his draft stock if he can take his game up another notch.

CJF and Weiskamp have benefitted tremendously from Garza down low so I don't know if CJF is NBA material yet. See how he does after Garza leaves. If Garza stays, Joe W. should stay, too, because another season with the focus on Garza will help Weiskamp look really good again next year. Joe W., right now, is probably a 2nd round pick at best. Garza is the guy who could possibly go first round whether he comes out this year or next. I haven't seen CJF and Weiskamp handle double and triple teams. When Garza's been in foul trouble, CJF's offensive production pretty much disappears. Weiskamp fares somewhat better with Garza on the bench, but still doesn't take over the game when he's the focal point. One more year for Weiskamp could make a big difference in his draft stock if he can take his game up another notch.

I completely agree. Garza takes a ton of defensive pressure, which opens up everyone else.

Again, not saying CJ isnt doing a good job. Just not anywhere close to being an NBA prospect at this point.

I just really hope I can see this Iowa offense with Garza in the post and a defender not being able to sag to the FT line cuz jbo is bringing it up.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I’m not going to say the NBA is a lock, and this shouldn’t even be a conversation until a few years from now. However, there are plenty of examples of players with his intangibles and skill both on defense and offense who have made it.
T. J. McConnell is a good example, nobody expected T.J. to make it in the NBA. Yet there he is thriving first as a Sixer and now as a Pacer. And C.J. is already a better shooter from three.

But as I said there should be plenty of time to see how he develops even further.

There is no one on the Iowa roster who will be playing in the NBA in the 20-21 season. Garza and JW will return because they’re not getting drafted and they owe it to JBO. If JW makes a leap between sophomore/junior year he may then bounce.

CJF isn’t NBA potential unless he masters the dribble drive and mid-range jumper.

The NBA wants floor spacers who can defend. They dont really want those guys handling the ball much.

The mid range game is essentially nonexistent in the nba besides a handful of players. Allot of coaches do not want that shot being taken at all.

The NBA wants floor spacers who can defend. They dont really want those guys handling the ball much.

The mid range game is essentially nonexistent in the nba besides a handful of players. Allot of coaches do not want that shot being taken at all.

I can't find it now, but there was an article that had a chart of where the top 200 shots come from on the NBA court now versus 10 or 15 years ago. The top 200 shots used to be scattered all over the court and all along the three point line. Now? The 3 pointers come from the top of the key and along the baseline almost exclusively. Almost every single two-point basket comes in the paint. There are still mid-range shots in the NBA, but they aren't among the top 200 shots taken over the course of a season. Pretty much every team plays that game--post in the lane or drive to the lane and shoot or get a kick out to the wings on the baseline or pull-up 3s from the top of the key.

For me, this is why the NBA is all but unwatchable any more--it's soooo predictable. But the teams are uber efficient at making those shots and the analytics tell coaches that their offense should come from those spots. You let a guy take a 20 foot jump shot based on analytics and don't worry if he makes it because, overall, it's an anomaly.

This is why college basketball is so much more fun to watch, teams still play different styles of offense and defense. But as far as NBA potential, making 3s AND being able to drive to the lane to make shots are the only real criteria for offensive performance in the NBA for guards and wings now. If you can do one or the other, good, but to get minutes in the NBA and get drafted in the first round, it's pretty much a must for guards/wings to be able to have an outside shot and be able to put the ball on the floor to get to the lane for shooting/passing to an open man inside or outside. Even for bigs, having an outside shot is important now. This is why Garza has a better shot than Weiskamp to make the NBA, IMO.

Reactions: owenhawk
I can't find it now, but there was an article that had a chart of where the top 200 shots come from on the NBA court now versus 10 or 15 years ago. The top 200 shots used to be scattered all over the court and all along the three point line. Now? The 3 pointers come from the top of the key and along the baseline almost exclusively. Almost every single two-point basket comes in the paint. There are still mid-range shots in the NBA, but they aren't among the top 200 shots taken over the course of a season. Pretty much every team plays that game--post in the lane or drive to the lane and shoot or get a kick out to the wings on the baseline or pull-up 3s from the top of the key.

For me, this is why the NBA is all but unwatchable any more--it's soooo predictable. But the teams are uber efficient at making those shots and the analytics tell coaches that their offense should come from those spots. You let a guy take a 20 foot jump shot based on analytics and don't worry if he makes it because, overall, it's an anomaly.

This is why college basketball is so much more fun to watch, teams still play different styles of offense and defense. But as far as NBA potential, making 3s AND being able to drive to the lane to make shots are the only real criteria for offensive performance in the NBA for guards and wings now. If you can do one or the other, good, but to get minutes in the NBA and get drafted in the first round, it's pretty much a must for guards/wings to be able to have an outside shot and be able to put the ball on the floor to get to the lane for shooting/passing to an open man inside or outside. Even for bigs, having an outside shot is important now. This is why Garza has a better shot than Weiskamp to make the NBA, IMO.

Theres plenty of guys in the nba that only shoot and play defense. Especially on the teams that have very ball dominate superstars.

Usually those guys are a little bigger and more athletic than CJ.

Reactions: Eternal Return

I don't know about LG having the best shot at the NBA.I don't think any of the three, CJF,JW or LG play good enough defense right now to make it in the NBA. You can score 20 pts a game but if the guy you're guarding is hanging 28 on ya you ain't playing in the league for very long. I think JW's length and athleticism gives him the edge to become a better defender and hence a better shot at a career in the league.

Reactions: Eternal Return
He reminds me of that black guard from UConn a few years ago. Good shooter, could drive & pull up.

They look similar also.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT