ADVERTISEMENT

Dow down a 1000...

Crazy if this holds up, down about 15% for the week. My personal stuff is down 6%.

What makes you think it will bounce back today? I'm just curious.

Well, I am not anywhere near feeling this as much now with less than two hours left than I was at start of day, but....

I have observed over the years that, a sudden drop (over a few days) of over 10% almost always results in a quick rebound. Now, trying to "time" that (that awful word) is much guesswork, and, sure, this virus panic could be different than others, but, it is/was just a feeling that today was the "inflection point".

I might still be generally right, even if today is not "Green" at end....the market has made several rally attempts, only to fall back. I think this is some indication of a bottom being put in.

So, bottom line answer: Gut feel.

Reactions: srams21
We shall see.
source.gif

Okay. But when you talk about you being down 6%, it is a blend of your stock holdings (tanked) and your non-stock holdings (stable), right?

Yes, that is correct. Everything. Your thoughts on that? We have about another $85k sitting in savings accounts, but I think we're leaving that alone for now. The wife (no pic) resigned from her job this week.

Yes, that is correct. Everything. Your thoughts on that? We have about another $85k sitting in savings accounts, but I think we're leaving that alone for now. The wife (no pic) resigned from her job this week.

Seems like a balance portfolio. I was just interested if you were saying you stock portion was only down 6% with the overall stock market down, say, 12%. That would have been impressive if true.

Reactions: jasonrann
Seems like a balance portfolio. I was just interested if you were saying you stock portion was only down 6% with the overall stock market down, say, 12%. That would have been impressive if true.

All in all, I'm not complaining. Hopefully we hit an uptick again next week.

Mostly out of entertainment, and also because work is slow, I don't think I've ever watched the market on a minute-by-minute basis like I have today...

And it (S and P 500) must have moved like 6 times today from -95 to -50 (one time to -31) and back.

The market is really trying to make a move, but can't settle on which way.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
All in all, I'm not complaining. Hopefully we hit an uptick again next week.

It will. If not next week, another week or 2. This sell off has reached a ridiculous point. Some of these stocks are reaching incredibly attractive price points, which is why you are seeing the market trying to bounce back. Some people, myself included, just can't stand it when certain stocks/companies reach a certain point. Have to buy.

Huge rally in last 10 minutes of trading. NASDAQ actually ends up in the Green! S and P 500 ends at daily high (though still 0.8% red). Dow rallies as well.

Suspect Monday is going to be big green....panic is over.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
Huge rally in last 10 minutes of trading. NASDAQ actually ends up in the Green! S and P 500 ends at daily high (though still 0.8% red). Dow rallies as well.

I suspect you might be right but there’s still lots of risk IMO. Things have shifted quickly so it will be a long weekend if more negative trends continue regarding the coronavirus.

Was based on the Federal reserve comment.

World-wide, 2,876 deaths with another 44,417 currently infected with 8,095 of those serious/critical. Wow.

And Italy has 21 deaths with only 46 recovered as yet. Even if they have no more deaths out of that 888, that's already a >2% mortality rate; 2.3%,to be exact. Still consistent with the CDC estimates and 20x more deadly than flu.

And, again, even if CDC is correct and 80% of people who contract it get a mild to bad cold, that means if you are in the 20% of 'at risk' folks, your mortality rate becomes > 10%. Asthma, smokers (that's YOU Trad), obese/out of shape, any lung issues (that's YOU coal miners with silicosis), heart condition, diabetes, immunodeficiency (that's YOU organ transplant recipients)....all of them may be in that >10% bucket. And that's a whole boatload of people our medical triage systems will need to be caring for in perhaps a very compact timeframe.

I haven't found any yet.

WSJ today: Since 2/19: Dominoes up 17%, Regeneron Pharm up 7.7%, Clorox up 2.3%, CME Group up 1.4%.

Not sure what to make of this (order in while bleaching everything?) but there you go.

Bargain hunting, for sure.

And wishful thinking.

The problem is that this crash has a real cause. So while there will be relative bargains, there may not be very many absolute bargains until we know the real impact of the virus on trade and business, etc.
Yeah, a few months ago when short term bonds began to pay more than long term people knew something was up but nobody could put a finger on it, including myself. My guess is we are heading into a bear market that will last for about 12 to 18 months.

The only way I can be sure of losing money on this deal is to sell and convert to cash. Now, if I'd done that three weeks ago.......

Reactions: TunzaHawk

All depends on the news both from outbreak standpoint and supply standpoint. I think the panic is far from over, it has not really reared it's ugly head here (or more like we are not being given the true numbers that it is here). Supply issues just now hitting. I think every time it goes up to 26-27 or more people will jump at selling

Trad already hoarded the water for hurricane season. Buy booze.

I wish Trump would just tweet that the last two weeks is FAKE NEWS and calm everyone's nerves.;)

This runup to 4/1/2020 is gonna make for the Greatest April Fool's Joke Evah!!!!

Put 50k into Vanguard Index 500 30 minutes before market close. Plan to invest another 100k next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT