ADVERTISEMENT

*****Dumping ground for The Daily Rex Chapman Tweet & other assorted interwebz stuff****

I broke a lock on my car in the early 90's when there was a storm like this in the DC area. I tried to unlock my driver side door with the key and the mechanism was frozen. I forced it and the lock broke. I got in the car, started it up and shut the door. First time I took a turn the door swung open as the locking mechanism was now frozen in the open position. I drove the rest of the way to the metro holding the door shut.
Had to get a replacement handle for the door and it came with a new key, so I had three keys on my keychain for the car. Two door keys and one ignition key.

I broke a lock on my car in the early 90's when there was a storm like this in the DC area. I tried to unlock my driver side door with the key and the mechanism was frozen. I forced it and the lock broke. I got in the car, started it up and shut the door. First time I took a turn the door swung open as the locking mechanism was now frozen in the open position. I drove the rest of the way to the metro holding the door shut.
Had to get a replacement handle for the door and it came with a new key, so I had three keys on my keychain for the car. Two door keys and one ignition key.
I had to bungee someone's inner back doors together when they had a latch freeze "open" like this. We looped bungees across the car between the inner handles so she could drive to work w/o the door flying open everywhere.

#Iowa
#GoodTimes

I had to bungee someone's inner back doors together when they had a latch freeze "open" like this. We looped bungees across the car between the inner handles so she could drive to work w/o the door flying open everywhere.

#Iowa
#GoodTimes
Thinking more about it - I didn't break it with my key. The only door I could get open was the hatchback. So I crawled thru the back and then pulled the handle from the inside and pushed hard. Snap!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Thinking more about it - I didn't break it with my key. The only door I could get open was the hatchback. So I crawled thru the back and then pulled the handle from the inside and pushed hard. Snap!
This is why I have a 3-car garage these days...

Reactions: BelemNole
This is why I have a 3-car garage these days...
That's why I live in CA!
I was driving that same car home when some freezing rain started. I get in and put the defrost on blast and eventually the windshield clears so I start to drive. But with all the heat going to defrost I'm shivering I'm so cold. So I figure a quick change to heat won't be a problem. As soon as the vents change the windshield freezes over in about 2 seconds. While I'm moving. I yell "oh shit" and turn it back to defrost but it's going to take a while and I can't see shit. So I roll down the window and stick my head out - into the freezing rain. With the window down the defrost doesnt' work very fast so I've got my head out the window in traffic for a few minutes before it clears. I think to myself - that was a near disaster but now I know the score and continue on being cold but able to see. Then the car in front of me hits their breaks.......and slides. In a panic I tap my breaks too...and suddenly I have to look out the driver side window to see where I'm going. I overcorrect and now it's the passenger side window. I do that 2-3 more times until I'm facing straight again and stop 2 feet from hitting the car in front of me. I turn in to my apartment and don't get in the car again until everything has melted.

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT