ADVERTISEMENT

Elite recruit Howard wins Gold at Youth Olympics - Final Results

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004
Final Blog:
https://iowawrestlingblog.com/2018/10/elite-recruit-howard-rolls-to-a-gold-at-youth-olympics/

Iowa Wrestling Assistant Coach Ryan Morningstar had in in-house visit with Howard on September 24.

Sunday October 14:

55 kg/121 lbs.

Round 1: Robert Howard (USA) TF over Hayato Fujita (Japan) 13-2.
Fujita is the 2018 Cadet World silver medalist.

Semifinals: Robert Howard (USA) dec over Vladyslav Ostapenko (Ukraine), 10-5.
Ostapenko was the 2018 European Cadet champion.

Gold Medal match:
Robert Howard (USA) TF over Herman Almendra (Argentina), 17-6.

I am now up on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/IowaWrestlingFan/
and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/iawrestlingfan

Last edited:
Wow! Good wins. He hasn’t been able to put it together at the world championships yet, but these are some impressive international wins.

Reactions: HIWILLE
It would seem that he wrestled the two best kids first. Argentina not quite known as a wrestling powerhouse. Solid wins over Fujita and the Ukranian. Howard has a high powered offensive style that is fun to watch. He’s certainly an icing on the top of the cake kind a kid recruit-wise. Fingers crossed

Last edited:
Spencer was a cadet world champ. Howard has made two cadet world teams, but failed to medal. Styles are quite different, Howard has more of a high energy, ultra aggressive style that reminds me a bit of Austin DeSanto. Lee has pretty much had the same brutal top game domination type style since he was a cadet.

It would seem that he wrestled the two best kids first. Argentina not quite known as a wrestling powerhouse. Solid wins over Fujita and the Ukranian. Howard has high powered offensive style that is fun to watch. He’s certainly an icing on the top of the cake kind a kid recruit-wise. Fingers crossed

He says the Ukrainian is the only kid who has ever tech’d him; so that was a nice win.

It would seem that he wrestled the two best kids first. Argentina not quite known as a wrestling powerhouse. Solid wins over Fujita and the Ukranian. Howard has high powered offensive style that is fun to watch. He’s certainly an icing on the top of the cake kind a kid recruit-wise. Fingers crossed

I would say Howard is a must get for the Hawks. He's not the icing on the cake, he's the next link in the chain after Spencer. We have some nice pieces in the lower weights coming in, we need someone to anchor that group and imo, Howard is that guy, and we just happen to have a spot for him to slide right in to so we don't skip a beat.

So Mr. Howard, how would you like to train with Spencer Lee for the rest of your career?

That's what I thought. Let's get him on board.

Reactions: HIWILLE
I would say Howard is a must get for the Hawks. He's not the icing on the cake, he's the next link in the chain after Spencer. We have some nice pieces in the lower weights coming in, we need someone to anchor that group and imo, Howard is that guy, and we just happen to have a spot for him to slide right in to so we don't skip a beat.
What weight do you project him to slide right in?

What weight do you project him to slide right in?
I don't really project HS kids as I don't know them well enough or know their genetic make up. I normally get this information from FLO or from those in the know on HR, but the correct answer is, where ever he wants.

125 (if that's even a possibility) or 133 will be open to him after a RS season. Spencer will be ready to train his replacement and both our 133's seem to be destined for 141.

141 might also be an option depending on what happens with our current 33 and our future at 49.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkMD

Certainly no intent to diminish Mr. Howard’s status as an elite recruit, more to elevate the crop Brands and M* have already hauled in. Cherry on top perhaps?

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
I'm sure many have seen this but just in case. The wrestling in this little 2 minute clip just blows my mind. I'm not sure if I've seen a better match.

Yeah, that match and the one against McKee stand out to me. He’s got some stuff that u can’t teach. That level of scrappy bulldogedness is something you’re born with. Put him in a room with like minded, lightweight Hawks and the sky’s the limit for this kid. Obviously constantly putting himself in bad positions that he has to fight his way out of is exciting, but the Hawk staff would hone that aggression into more focused attacks. Kids a crowd pleaser for sure

How good do you feel about our chances of landing Robert Howard? Love the momentum we have going right now ...
I could be wrong on this, but I believe Michigan, Cornell, UNC, Oklahoma St, and Iowa are the front runners. I wouldn't count out Nebraska, tOSU, VT or PSU. He will probably take all 5 of his official visits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rustys Dad
I could be wrong on this, but I believe Michigan, Cornell, UNC, Oklahoma St, and Iowa are the front runners. I wouldn't count out Nebraska, tOSU, VT or PSU. He will probably take all 5 of his official visits.

From what I read/watched academics are huge to him/his family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT