ADVERTISEMENT

End of Game WTF AGAIN

PHXIowaClub

HR Heisman
Nov 27, 2002
Arizona
how many games this year have we had the last possession and not scored? how many games this year have we had the last possession and not gotten the ball to Jok? Did the Chicago Bulls ever not get the ball to MJs hands?

This isn't just this year. Every damn year, Iowa doesn't get the ball into the hands of their best player at the end of the game.

that wasn't a play. Bohannon was running around not knowing what to do and got rid of the ball as soon a
s he found someone open.

I think it was designed that way. Cook should have been at the line.

The play I didn't like was the earlier play, Bohannon was trying to run the clock out and turned it over for run out the other way. Fran could have called
TO to set something up.

that wasn't a play. Bohannon was running around not knowing what to do and got rid of the ball as soon as he found someone open.

Even if Cook wasn't first option he was 2nd or 3rd and still got us a good shot which refs blew. I agree on main premise frustrating when we don't take time outs but least after first debacle we did next possession.

Reactions: hawkhorn
how many games this year have we had the last possession and not scored? how many games this year have we had the last possession and not gotten the ball to Jok? Did the Chicago Bulls ever not get the ball to MJs hands?

This isn't just this year. Every damn year, Iowa doesn't get the ball into the hands of their best player at the end of the game.

Cook got mauled...and u don't even mention it..nice.
Going inside was/is exactly what you want .... geeeez...

He's talking about the possession before when Bohannon dribbled the ball around for 25 seconds while four guys stood under the basket and then got stripped for a lay up on the other end.

Reactions: cleotishaywood
Its not as much the play call as not having a ballhandler who can deal with that kind of ball pressure.

JBO does ok but a true pg would go right by a defender playing that close.

Reactions: kcgolfer
Holy mother funk...we win an OT game..after a horrible start...and we get a thread like this...further you have no idea what the play was ...I'm pretty sure Cook wasn't the only option...I'm sure Jok was an option coming out of the huddle...but you cant force it if the Jok option is not there.

you don't think Indiana was focused on Jok...go back and look at the replay..

give it up.

Last edited:
What about the start of games? When Baer doesn't start, we don't seem to have any energy.

Hawks just don't seem to be able to get a call in the last few seconds of a game. Cook clearly was fouled, but the officials chose to swallow their whistles. It was great to see Cook finally play with some emotion. Maybe Cook and Williams' best game.

Holy mother funk...we win an OT game..after a horrible start...and we get a post like this...further you have no idea what the play was ...I'm pretty sure Cook wasn't the only option...I'm sure Jok was an option coming out of the huddle...but you cant force it if the Jok option is not there.

give it up.
I would bet jok was options 1, 2, and 3 for those last two possessions. That has been Fran's plan for several years. And without a PG that can do anything with the ball, it looks just awful. Very little movement in those situations and frankly, Bo was lucky to get the ball to cook

Its not as much the play call as not having a ballhandler who can deal with that kind of ball pressure.

JBO does ok but a true pg would go right by a defender playing that close.

Fran touched on that play in post game. JaBo was trying to run the set play they called but when defender got up into him he needed to just drive and get fouled as the play is off at that point.

Reactions: perryhawk
I would bet jok was options 1, 2, and 3 for those last two possessions. That has been Fran's plan for several years. And without a PG that can do anything with the ball, it looks just awful. Very little movement in those situations and frankly, Bo was lucky to get the ball to cook

To be fair...... not many college teams can look good without a PG that can do anything with the ball

Fran touched on that play in post game. JaBo was trying to run the set play they called but when defender got up into him he needed to just drive and get fouled as the play is off at that point.

Exactly.

You can never let a defender guard you that close that far out.

Problem is, thats not really his strong suit though.

Yep good old Bo was lucky....nice.
OK we're done.

Maybe the other team had something to do with that. They don't just sit on their thumbs, We won enjoy it You think the other coach didn't figure that one out?

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Holy mother funk...we win an OT game..after a horrible start...and we get a thread like this...further you have no idea what the play was ...I'm pretty sure Cook wasn't the only option...I'm sure Jok was an option coming out of the huddle...but you cant force it if the Jok option is not there.

give it up.

Yeah I actually liked the final play because we went to someone else besides Jok. Fran's MO in close games has been to give Jok the ball on every possession down the stretch in close games. The second-to-last possession was a nightmare turning a 2-point lead with the ball into a runout on the other end for a foul. But the last possession was as good as it gets, the officials just determined not to call a foul for whatever reason.

This young team is 2-2 this year in overtime games....the two losses were in double overtime and one of those was only because of blown calls. This team has done well especially considering the number of freshman that play crucial roles.

If a poster chooses to look at only the negative on this topic then they are probably just a negative poster.

I thought it was a good play. I anticipated a forced pass to Jok in traffic and no shot or desperation heave. Going against the grain put Cook 1:1 down low against Bryant. Cook was really engaged last night and I liked his odds down there. Tough spot for the refs to make a call that could have decided the game. First look it appeared worse than it was in my opinion.

Yep good old Bo was lucky....nice.
OK we're done.
Bo had probably been fouled and was off balance when trying to deliver that pass and I believe a little low. Cook had great position like he did most of the night but he had not made a single post move basket either. Lucky may not be best word, but you stand around dribbling for 20 seconds and do nothing, it does feel a little lucky to even get a shot off. And why the the two timeouts within five seconds there as well by Fran. Nobody around us could figure that out. The first one was good tie the shooter, but then come down and see what is available and take one with 10 seconds if needed. But just to dribble past half court and call another one is quite strange

How can you be angry at that last play? It was going to Cook the whole time; no one else was even moving. He got a shot one foot away from the basketball; but no, let's pass it 20 feet out to our best player.

Utilizing Jok in these situations has not worked for at least a month. Everyone in the gym expects it go to him and even if you use him as a decoy, he will be bracketed with defenders negating passing angles.

Bo had probably been fouled and was off balance when trying to deliver that pass and I believe a little low. Cook had great position like he did most of the night but he had not made a single post move basket either. Lucky may not be best word, but you stand around dribbling for 20 seconds and do nothing, it does feel a little lucky to even get a shot off. And why the the two timeouts within five seconds there as well by Fran. Nobody around us could figure that out. The first one was good tie the shooter, but then come down and see what is available and take one with 10 seconds if needed. But just to dribble past half court and call another one is quite strange

ya I don't follow your dribble...so move on.

Utilizing Jok in these situations has not worked for at least a month. Everyone in the gym expects it go to him and even if you use him as a decoy, he will be bracketed with defenders negating passing angles.

ya but he was option 1 2 3 :p...a last possession is not like playing chest where you have total control on what the defense does...JBo did a great job (sorry got lucky) getting the ball to Cook..

...it is amazing how some are so focused on option 1 2 3 ... but Cook getting held (and 3 chicken shit refs sticking their whistles in their pockets) doesn't get much mention.

....I have a feeling they saw how bad they failed to make the call and started calling all the hand slapping against Jok..

What? He took the timeout up 1 to get his guys on the same page. Bigs were likely instructed to call timeout on a miss to allow an inbound to Jok, Bohannon or Brady. When they make it, we want to set up a play.

I swear this board would have been upset if Cook's shot had fallen, claiming we should have let someone else win the game....

Consternation from some folks aside....it was a good win. In the past, the Hawks probably would have lost this game. Kudos to the players who gutted out the victory.

Reactions: Ree4
Cook got mauled...and u don't even mention it..nice.
Going inside was/is exactly what you want .... geeeez...

Cook appeared to get fouled 3 times on that play. First was when entry pass was thrown to him and he got chucked in the back...usually a no call but a foul nonetheless. Then when he went up, was fouled on way and then at release was totally hacked. Just a brutal no call.

Cook got a good shot, just shows why we should have been calling TOs in those situations years ago.

The earlier turnover by JBO illustrates the need for a true PG.

I am sorry but that wasn't entirely JBO's fault. Why in end of game situations we are the only team who has the ball in 1 guys hand and everyone else just stands there?? My god PJ or someone should of come and got the ball. Dribbling around does you no good. They should of passed the ball around and gotten a good look for christ sakes.

We do need an upgrade at the guard position in general, but it doesn't look like its coming for 3-4 years. We are going to be the "biggest" and "most unathletic" team in the Big Ten next year. Teams will run circles around us.

The term used on The BTN Big Show was "bear hugged" on TC at the end of the game. Give me that play 10 times and we likely win 8 or 9 of them.
I wouldn't mind seeing that little "3-man weave" at the top of the key until the play kicks in instead of the dribble the clock down, but Fran knows his kids better than I do.

Consternation from some folks aside....it was a good win. In the past, the Hawks probably would have lost this game. Kudos to the players who gutted out the victory.
No doubt, and a lot of young guys made plays down the stretch. Cook getting physical with Bryant, Kreiner to blocks,(and the finger wag,damn), Williams, JBo making free throws, Baer doing his thing. Fun to watch.

Officials almost never make a call in the last second of the game. They don't want to be the deciding factor. It happens to everybody.

What? He took the timeout up 1 to get his guys on the same page. Bigs were likely instructed to call timeout on a miss to allow an inbound to Jok, Bohannon or Brady. When they make it, we want to set up a play.

I swear this board would have been upset if Cook's shot had fallen, claiming we should have let someone else win the game....
No, he took a timeout up 1 with Indiana having one more FT coming, so you were going to get the ball tied or up one. If you are up one it means that you already have the ball inbounds and don't need a timeout to inbound. So Fran should use this timeout to call two plays, one for tied and one for down one.
I do like the idea of running the weave or some sort of motion offense. Keep the defense moving and heads turning and someone may free up. My complaint is we have seen the same process play out for 5 years where the PG dribbles around for 20+ seconds and then hope to get off a shot. Since we have Cook who is able to get good position on the block (didn't have that option with Woody), it does provide another place for the PG to go in the last 4 seconds. Cook's shot was actually one of the best end game shots that I remember from a Fran team, so I am not at all arguing he should not have gotten the ball, rather the process at end of game. Agreed that Cook was fouled at least once, but they were definitely not going to call something there either that would "determine" the game

Unless Jok pops open for a shot, Jok has always lost the ball at the end when it's in his hands. He is not MJ in that regard.

that wasn't a play. Bohannon was running around not knowing what to do and got rid of the ball as soon a
s he found someone open.

I think it was designed that way. Cook should have been at the line.

The play I didn't like was the earlier play, Bohannon was trying to run the clock out and turned it over for run out the other way. Fran could have called
TO to set something up.
Jordy did lose that one but most of the night against intense pressure him and Williams did very well

Officials almost never make a call in the last second of the game. They don't want to be the deciding factor. It happens to everybody.[/QUOTE I have never understood that reasoning. The only way the refs are a deciding factor late is if they refuse to make a call obviously there.

Go kick a dog.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT