ADVERTISEMENT

Face reality. Brian Ferentz will not be asked to leave the family business. But, he might...

...be "reassigned" after the season is over. It's obvious his quarteback coaching days should be over. As far as the Offensive Coordinator thing goes maybe a better position would simply be just Assistant Head Coach and have him in the booth instead of on the field. I'm not one who thinks that Brian is an idiot. He know football, but he is in the wrong position in my opinion. Iowa fans have a long history of complianing about the OC, and some of it is justified. But it is also true that the object of the game is to win it, and Iowa under Kirk has done more than a respectable job in doing that over the past quarter century.

Normally it would be hard for me to call for change in a program that is 6-2, bowl eligible, and very likely to finish with 10 wins, but I must. I'm not calling for Brians head, he is a Hawkeye and deserves better. But it is also true that his current assignment is not working out for anyone. A reasignment is due, and it would be best for everyone, including Brian.

Sometimes a stubborn guy like me needs to learn a lesson more than once. Once the botched call on Cooper's TD return was made it felt like a gut punch. But it was more than just the bullshit call. It was also that knowing feeling that the Hawkeye offense would not be able gain a mere 20 yards or so to allow for a reasonable FG attempt by a solid kicker to still win the game. I knew it. 70,000 at Kinnick knew it. Everyone watching on TV knew it. And I suspect everyone on the sidelines knew it. Worst of all the players on the field probably knew it too. That single moment is the one where anyone that cares about Iowa Football, no matter their previous thinking, had to admit to themselves that at long-last a change must be made. If a change is not made the damage will not be just to the Hawkeye program, but to Kirk, Brian and their family...and they don't deserve that.
There is no damn way he is still OC after this season. I mean, no way!!!

they could try an opposite approach. whatever BF and KF decide...do the opposite.

Do whatever play is the complete opposite of what they call for.
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F23967e89-243d-4d04-ba69-b8c3ceb0256b_350x308.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Fan In Black
Seriously, nobody is going to hire him for anything more than a position coach, and not QB either. TE or OL…
Wit the racism stuff Brian's name is Mudd in the coaching would at the Pro and Div. 1 level. No one is going to hire him at all due to the flack they'll take over the hire. It's like what happened with Doyle. No one wants that for just a mediocre failure of a coach.

If Kirk is serious about making another run at a Big Ten Championship, he would clean house and do an entire overhaul of the offensive side of the ball. Start from the ground up, because no coach on that side of the ball deserves or has proven they should keep their employment.

Of course we all know it will never happen and Iowa will have near zero chance of winning anything meaningful going forward.
No coach, not one offensive coach is doing a good job?? Really, I think our running backs are really good and can really run when they get holes to go thru. We are Tight End U and Lachey was doing great last year and he started off great this year.

Now, Briam not cutting it, Barnett the OLine coach either not cutting it or he really doesnt have very good players. But the word on the OLine is the Center and two guards with Feth in there have been doing pretty well. I dont know for sure how our OTackles grade out and if they are really blowing people off the LOS.

Wide REceiver's coach, is that Copeland, was he the one with the last word last year that was going to limit Charley Jone's playing time, or was that Kirk and Brian. Whoever missed the boat on CJones really made a mistake. The hawks do not have any 4 or 5 star receivers but at the same time they are not performing very well. So if that is a coaching failure then maybe that coach needs replaced or told to improve their coaching.

Its amazing how Kirk is staining his legacy.

* Elite Defense

* Elite Special Teams

* Worst offense in the country led by his son, who he refused to fire

And think of the ugly wins just over the last 2 seasons as a result of this:

1. Iowa State
2. Illinois
3. Little Debbie
4. Minnesota
Did you mean "ugly losses" rather than "ugly wins"??

Wit the racism stuff Brian's name is Mudd in the coaching would at the Pro and Div. 1 level. No one is going to hire him at all due to the flack they'll take over the hire. It's like what happened with Doyle. No one wants that for just a mediocre failure of a coach.
Wonder what would have happened if Doyle was Kirk’s son instead of Brian? I believe BF would have been the scapegoat and we’d still have our strength coach.

Save face and solve two problems: move Brian to ol coach and run game coordinator (not technically a demotion). Hire an actual qb coach and make him passing game coordinator. Both have a OC title, but new guy will call the plays.
New guy will call the plays as long as they fit into Kirk’s conservative profile.

Reactions: Terrykohawk
That would be a massive massive pay cut.

UNI is having serious money troubles compared to other MVC football programs. Brian would get a cold slap of reality at UNI in terms of “just ask and anything is yours”.

UNI needs to fire their worthless AD and have Farley become the AD.
Brian’s track record might be not be enough to be head coach at Cedar Falls High, let alone UNI.

Reactions: intrepodor
They’ll hire a co offensive coordinator and keep Brian
Isn't There is a limit on the number of assistant coaches a program can have, Someone on the staff would have to go if a new OC is brought in. The smarter play would be BF to OL coach, new OC is QB coach/OC.

If BF continues to be paid by the university, my understanding is the anti-nepotism rules require BF report to the AD, not KF. So AD will have to sign off on any reassignment.

or KF could hire BF to be his own personal assistant on his own dime

or KF could find BF a job in NFL by calling in favors

or BF could become a stock broker/finance advisor.

Save face and solve two problems: move Brian to ol coach and run game coordinator (not technically a demotion). Hire an actual qb coach and make him passing game coordinator. Both have a OC title, but new guy will call the plays.
What part of 11 yards on 22 rush attempts vs Minnesota gives you confidence in leaving the current offensive coordinator in charge of the run game?

I will be trying to find and resurrect your post come spring practice!!! But I hope not
I mean, I didn’t think he would be back this year, but also thought that the line would be much better and things would be different. I’m sure that was what was being sold. For the first time in KF’s tenure, our line consisting of many of the same guys has not made “good” progress over 2 years now. They all will be back next year, also, except Feth. One would think that would be a great thing. It’s not. Our OL, something we have been known for, has been weakest link now for 3 years.

Isn't There is a limit on the number of assistant coaches a program can have, Someone on the staff would have to go if a new OC is brought in. The smarter play would be BF to OL coach, new OC is QB coach/OC.

If BF continues to be paid by the university, my understanding is the anti-nepotism rules require BF report to the AD, not KF. So AD will have to sign off on any reassignment.

or KF could hire BF to be his own personal assistant on his own dime

or KF could find BF a job in NFL by calling in favors

or BF could become a stock broker/finance advisor.
What nfl team wants the worlds worst OC with a background of racial issues on their staff in any capacity?

If Brian has a shred of self respect or dignity, he'll resign. It has become more than obvious that he's in way over his head.
Dad controls him, just like he does everybody in the program. Control, control, control.

To be honest, I think the offensive line has may be a bigger problem than Brian. They either aren't getting good recruits or not helping them improve. I tend to think recruiting has stayed the same as the past 15 years, so that points to coaching. If you're going to recruit pocket passers, then you better have good offensive linemen to protect. They haven't been able to control the ball on the ground for the past few years or protect the passer. That has had a negative effect on the play calling, QB play, and passing game. If you're not going to get rid of Brian, let's get a good offensive line coach, use the portal to get some better linemen, and get a QB that can move.

We need to go full Mean Machine offense next week. Let the rushers right through and tell Deacon to hit them square in the groin with the hardest throw he can muster. Hopefully his accuracy is better...we may not score but at least the offense would be entertaining.👍

I think the only way Brian is not the o coordinator is if Kirk leaves, and I’ve been predicting his retirement at the end of the year for months.

If Kirk is back, Brian will be back under a modified contract and they will go heavy into the portal for o linemen.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
To be honest, I think the offensive line has may be a bigger problem than Brian. They either aren't getting good recruits or not helping them improve. I tend to think recruiting has stayed the same as the past 15 years, so that points to coaching. If you're going to recruit pocket passers, then you better have good offensive linemen to protect. They haven't been able to control the ball on the ground for the past few years or protect the passer. That has had a negative effect on the play calling, QB play, and passing game. If you're not going to get rid of Brian, let's get a good offensive line coach, use the portal to get some better linemen, and get a QB that can move.
You stole my every word. It's been said Barnett is likable & cheerful...but he's paid to COACH, not cheer lead.
Since Fry's 1st year, Hawkeye lines have been tough...until the past 3 years. But now, Purdue, Penn State and nearly every defense has chewed the Iowa line alive...and spit them out! Get a line coach. Then even Brian would get the job done.

What part of 11 yards on 22 rush attempts vs Minnesota gives you confidence in leaving the current offensive coordinator in charge of the run game?
He wouldn't be in charge of anything other than coaching the online. Run game coordinator would just be a saving face fake title.

Goetz could make the move to "remove" Brian right now and just let him roam the sidelines like he's doing now. After all, we're running Kirk's high school offense. Let him call the plays for the offense he's OK with.
High school offense? Iowa is firmly in the 5 year old Pop Warner zone for offensive design. This is for sure an insult to 5 year old Pop Warner football.

I think the only way Brian is not the o coordinator is if Kirk leaves, and I’ve been predicting his retirement at the end of the year for months.

If Kirk is back, Brian will be back under a modified contract and they will go heavy into the portal for o linemen.
And season tickets will plummet. People have had enough. Including me.

...be "reassigned" after the season is over. It's obvious his quarteback coaching days should be over. As far as the Offensive Coordinator thing goes maybe a better position would simply be just Assistant Head Coach and have him in the booth instead of on the field. I'm not one who thinks that Brian is an idiot. He know football, but he is in the wrong position in my opinion. Iowa fans have a long history of complianing about the OC, and some of it is justified. But it is also true that the object of the game is to win it, and Iowa under Kirk has done more than a respectable job in doing that over the past quarter century.

Normally it would be hard for me to call for change in a program that is 6-2, bowl eligible, and very likely to finish with 10 wins, but I must. I'm not calling for Brians head, he is a Hawkeye and deserves better. But it is also true that his current assignment is not working out for anyone. A reasignment is due, and it would be best for everyone, including Brian.

Sometimes a stubborn guy like me needs to learn a lesson more than once. Once the botched call on Cooper's TD return was made it felt like a gut punch. But it was more than just the bullshit call. It was also that knowing feeling that the Hawkeye offense would not be able gain a mere 20 yards or so to allow for a reasonable FG attempt by a solid kicker to still win the game. I knew it. 70,000 at Kinnick knew it. Everyone watching on TV knew it. And I suspect everyone on the sidelines knew it. Worst of all the players on the field probably knew it too. That single moment is the one where anyone that cares about Iowa Football, no matter their previous thinking, had to admit to themselves that at long-last a change must be made. If a change is not made the damage will not be just to the Hawkeye program, but to Kirk, Brian and their family...and they don't deserve that.

That was a crystallizing moment. It wasn’t that they didn’t get those 20 yards. It’s that we all knew they weren’t going to get those 20 yards.

That was a crystallizing moment. It wasn’t that they didn’t get those 20 yards. It’s that we all knew they weren’t going to get those 20 yards.
Kirk kept calling it the final play too. Like he knew it was over when they called that punt return back.

oIf Kirk is serious about making another run at a Big Ten Championship, he would clean house and do an entire overhaul of the offensive side of the ball. Start from the ground up, because no coach on that side of the ball deserves or has proven they should keep their employment.

Of course we all know it will never happen and Iowa will have near zero chance of winning anything meaningful going forward.
The bolded is a myth and a fundamental part of the problem. KF, mentally, has not made a run for the B10 championship for years. His goal has been to win 8 games, get his bonus, and head to the bank. That's why he has shown no urgency in solving the problems.

Reactions: DewHawk
What if Brian was sent to the Tony Racciopi QB camp to learn the ins and outs of QB play in order to improve his QB coaching skills?
Ya, that makes as much sense as sending a plumber to journalism school for a month so he can be the newspaper editor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT