ADVERTISEMENT

Face reality. Brian Ferentz will not be asked to leave the family business. But, he might...

The bolded is a myth and a fundamental part of the problem. KF, mentally, has not made a run for the B10 championship for years. His goal has been to win 8 games, get his bonus, and head to the bank. That's why he has shown no urgency in solving the problems.
He came close in 2015. But he gave up that goal when he ‘gave’ junior the big dollar job he couldn’t handle.

Hire and fire personnel on the offensive side all we want, as long as Kirk is still on the sidelines it isn't going to look much different.
I’m going to nitpick, so forgive me.

The offenses under our 3 OC’s have all looked different. KOK was, in hindsight, a downfield passing wizard. Davis was the most committed to establishing a run game, which is something I appreciated. I THOUGHT Brian was going to take the run game to the next level, but he has zero identity or cohesion. He throws darts hoping to hit explosive plays, because he read somewhere that explosive plays and wins have a high correlation. Despite good individual OL from 17-19, our running game sucked. I think that had more to do with play calling and design, than OL coaching, but I digress.

So, I don’t think this is “Kirk’s offense” like some have said. Just as I don’t think it’s “Kirk’s defense”. I’m sure there are parameters and general philosophies, but is Kirk quibbling about when we run a Fox Fire Zone Cover 3 or a Cover 6 with sim pressures? I doubt it. Just as I highly doubt he has his thumb on our offensive play calls. If he did, Mr. Risk Averse wouldn’t have let Petras throw it 50 times in our 2020 loss against NW, or called 70% pass plays in the third quarter against Minnesota into a stiff breeze. We wouldn’t have turned the ball over 6 times against OSU last year and repeatedly, REPEATEDLY shit on our defense if Kirk really had that much control.

Now, if you want to say that Kirk absolutely blows at hiring staff on the offensive side of the ball and that the offense will continue to suck because of that? No argument from me. Because I don’t have any faith in him either.

For those saying Kirk is gonna retire at the end of this season, he sure looked happy out on recruiting visits Friday night. Doesn’t look like phoning it in to me. And doesn’t look like a guy with thoughts of retirement.

For those saying Kirk is gonna retire at the end of this season, he sure looked happy out on recruiting visits Friday night. Doesn’t look like phoning it in to me. And doesn’t look like a guy with thoughts of retirement.
You came back

Glad Kirk is out doing what he is paid to do. Where was he recruiting?

...be "reassigned" after the season is over. It's obvious his quarteback coaching days should be over. As far as the Offensive Coordinator thing goes maybe a better position would simply be just Assistant Head Coach and have him in the booth instead of on the field. I'm not one who thinks that Brian is an idiot. He know football, but he is in the wrong position in my opinion. Iowa fans have a long history of complianing about the OC, and some of it is justified. But it is also true that the object of the game is to win it, and Iowa under Kirk has done more than a respectable job in doing that over the past quarter century.

Normally it would be hard for me to call for change in a program that is 6-2, bowl eligible, and very likely to finish with 10 wins, but I must. I'm not calling for Brians head, he is a Hawkeye and deserves better. But it is also true that his current assignment is not working out for anyone. A reasignment is due, and it would be best for everyone, including Brian.

Sometimes a stubborn guy like me needs to learn a lesson more than once. Once the botched call on Cooper's TD return was made it felt like a gut punch. But it was more than just the bullshit call. It was also that knowing feeling that the Hawkeye offense would not be able gain a mere 20 yards or so to allow for a reasonable FG attempt by a solid kicker to still win the game. I knew it. 70,000 at Kinnick knew it. Everyone watching on TV knew it. And I suspect everyone on the sidelines knew it. Worst of all the players on the field probably knew it too. That single moment is the one where anyone that cares about Iowa Football, no matter their previous thinking, had to admit to themselves that at long-last a change must be made. If a change is not made the damage will not be just to the Hawkeye program, but to Kirk, Brian and their family...and they don't deserve that.
Remind me not to go to Vegas with Soybean. What a wiff!

...be "reassigned" after the season is over. It's obvious his quarteback coaching days should be over. As far as the Offensive Coordinator thing goes maybe a better position would simply be just Assistant Head Coach and have him in the booth instead of on the field. I'm not one who thinks that Brian is an idiot. He know football, but he is in the wrong position in my opinion. Iowa fans have a long history of complianing about the OC, and some of it is justified. But it is also true that the object of the game is to win it, and Iowa under Kirk has done more than a respectable job in doing that over the past quarter century.

Normally it would be hard for me to call for change in a program that is 6-2, bowl eligible, and very likely to finish with 10 wins, but I must. I'm not calling for Brians head, he is a Hawkeye and deserves better. But it is also true that his current assignment is not working out for anyone. A reasignment is due, and it would be best for everyone, including Brian.

Sometimes a stubborn guy like me needs to learn a lesson more than once. Once the botched call on Cooper's TD return was made it felt like a gut punch. But it was more than just the bullshit call. It was also that knowing feeling that the Hawkeye offense would not be able gain a mere 20 yards or so to allow for a reasonable FG attempt by a solid kicker to still win the game. I knew it. 70,000 at Kinnick knew it. Everyone watching on TV knew it. And I suspect everyone on the sidelines knew it. Worst of all the players on the field probably knew it too. That single moment is the one where anyone that cares about Iowa Football, no matter their previous thinking, had to admit to themselves that at long-last a change must be made. If a change is not made the damage will not be just to the Hawkeye program, but to Kirk, Brian and their family...and they don't deserve that.
Considering the announcement said it was his last season with the program, I'd say reassignment is a big no

I'm interested in the OP's take given that now the "reassignment" is for BF to no longer be employed at the U of Iowa.
It was obvious that Brian could not continue at OC. ButI was not expecting Beth to step in and send Brian down the road. I expected that Kirk would reassign Brian to other duties with the team after the season was over. I was wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT