ADVERTISEMENT

Face reality. Brian Ferentz will not be asked to leave the family business. But, he might...

soybean

HR King
Sep 30, 2001
...be "reassigned" after the season is over. It's obvious his quarteback coaching days should be over. As far as the Offensive Coordinator thing goes maybe a better position would simply be just Assistant Head Coach and have him in the booth instead of on the field. I'm not one who thinks that Brian is an idiot. He know football, but he is in the wrong position in my opinion. Iowa fans have a long history of complianing about the OC, and some of it is justified. But it is also true that the object of the game is to win it, and Iowa under Kirk has done more than a respectable job in doing that over the past quarter century.

Normally it would be hard for me to call for change in a program that is 6-2, bowl eligible, and very likely to finish with 10 wins, but I must. I'm not calling for Brians head, he is a Hawkeye and deserves better. But it is also true that his current assignment is not working out for anyone. A reasignment is due, and it would be best for everyone, including Brian.

Sometimes a stubborn guy like me needs to learn a lesson more than once. Once the botched call on Cooper's TD return was made it felt like a gut punch. But it was more than just the bullshit call. It was also that knowing feeling that the Hawkeye offense would not be able gain a mere 20 yards or so to allow for a reasonable FG attempt by a solid kicker to still win the game. I knew it. 70,000 at Kinnick knew it. Everyone watching on TV knew it. And I suspect everyone on the sidelines knew it. Worst of all the players on the field probably knew it too. That single moment is the one where anyone that cares about Iowa Football, no matter their previous thinking, had to admit to themselves that at long-last a change must be made. If a change is not made the damage will not be just to the Hawkeye program, but to Kirk, Brian and their family...and they don't deserve that.

...be "reassigned" after the season is over. It's obvious his quarteback coaching days should be over. As far as the Offensive Coordinator thing goes maybe a better position would simply be just Assistant Head Coach and have him in the booth instead of on the field. I'm not one who thinks that Brian is an idiot. He know football, but he is in the wrong position in my opinion. Iowa fans have a long history of complianing about the OC, and some of it is justified. But it is also true that the object of the game is to win it, and Iowa under Kirk has done more than a respectable job in doing that over the past quarter century.

Normally it would be hard for me to call for change in a program that is 6-2, bowl eligible, and very likely to finish with 10 wins, but I must. I'm not calling for Brians head, he is a Hawkeye and deserves better. But it is also true that his current assignment is not working out for anyone. A reasignment is due, and it would be best for everyone, including Brian.

Sometimes a stubborn guy like me needs to learn a lesson more than once. Once the botched call on Cooper's TD return was made it felt like a gut punch. But it was more than just the bullshit call. It was also that knowing feeling that the Hawkeye offense would not be able gain a mere 20 yards or so to allow for a reasonable FG attempt by a solid kicker to still win the game. I knew it. 70,000 at Kinnick knew it. Everyone watching on TV knew it. And I suspect everyone on the sidelines knew it. Worst of all the players on the field probably knew it too. That single moment is the one where anyone that cares about Iowa Football, no matter their previous thinking, had to admit to themselves that at long-last a change must be made. If a change is not made the damage will not be just to the Hawkeye program, but to Kirk, Brian and their family...and they don't deserve that.

While I agree with what you wrote, your last paragraph is spot on correct. I had all those same feelings. I believe that was the end of Brian's career as OC.

Just watch. Jon Budmayr, the "Offensive Analyst" who Kirk called a "gift from Heaven," will be the next OC/QB Coach.
This seems like a very realistic prediction. Who knows how much input or impact he is making at the current moment. Unlikely to yield exciting improvements but just seems like it would make sense why he made the career move in the first place. As the mystery of his position last year was very odd.

Edit: yeah nevermind I didn’t realize he was let go at Colorado State. Didn’t seem like the qb play from Wisconsin was anything special while he was there. So maybe it makes plenty sense why he would move without oc possibity. But it still would be a Kirk like move to go with who he worked with rather than do real search again.

Last edited:
I wonder if there was anyone in America that thought we would gain those 20 yards for a field goal to win it? Did any players think we would?

I really don't think I have every seen such inept coaching go on for so long to become a 3 year running joke with a real possibility it will go into next year with BF. Anyone with back to back years similar to this either shows improvement or is let go. Frankly, it is disgusting.

Save face and solve two problems: move Brian to ol coach and run game coordinator (not technically a demotion). Hire an actual qb coach and make him passing game coordinator. Both have a OC title, but new guy will call the plays.

Reactions: desihawk
Well if the shoe fits…

Its amazing how Kirk is staining his legacy.

* Elite Defense

* Elite Special Teams

* Worst offense in the country led by his son, who he refused to fire

And think of the ugly wins just over the last 2 seasons as a result of this:

1. Iowa State
2. Illinois
3. Little Debbie
4. Minnesota

they could try an opposite approach. whatever BF and KF decide...do the opposite.

Do whatever play is the complete opposite of what they call for.

Reactions: HFan1981
dd.

Edit: yeah nevermind I didn’t realize he was let go at Colorado State.
Was he let go by his head coach who stayed at Colo State or did the head coach move on or did the head coach and his assts all get let go. I looked up their 2021 Off stats and they scored 24 pts per game which was ranked 98th out of 130. That was better than the hawks.

There is a big difference. Iirc the head coach might have been the former BC head coach and I think Colo St fired the head coach which caused the dominos to fall. Yep, Steve Addazio the head coach was fired and that usually means his assistants all go away also.

They’ll hire a co offensive coordinator and keep Brian
I mentioned last year that Brian should go back to Run Game Coord and yeah he could even stay as co-off coord. But Kirk needs to bring in a really good QB coach/Off Coord for the passing game and that person should be the play caller.

Brian is not a good play caller.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
they could try an opposite approach. whatever BF and KF decide...do the opposite.

Do whatever play is the complete opposite of what they call for.
I like it!
george costanza comedy GIF

Kee
Double down with Budmayr as co.....
Keep Brian? Are you nuts or just one of those that are cool with an embarassing football program? Brian needs to unconditionally be let go and not be up to Kirk. We are the worst offense in Division 1 football! There is no team worse! Repeat after me, "there is no team worse!". You don't massage that. You correct it! Period. Period. Period.
That show has failed miserably and it's over. Should be agreeable with everybody not named Ferentz. Those that are foolish enough to massage this and give it another try please go away.

If Kirk is serious about making another run at a Big Ten Championship, he would clean house and do an entire overhaul of the offensive side of the ball. Start from the ground up, because no coach on that side of the ball deserves or has proven they should keep their employment.

Of course we all know it will never happen and Iowa will have near zero chance of winning anything meaningful going forward.

Reactions: vonviener
Kee

Keep Brian? Are you nuts or just one of those that are cool with an embarassing football program? Brian needs to unconditionally be let go and not be up to Kirk. We are the worst offense in Division 1 football! There is no team worse! Repeat after me, "there is no team worse!". You don't massage that. You correct it! Period. Period. Period.
That show has failed miserably and it's over. Should be agreeable with everybody not named Ferentz. Those that are foolish enough to massage this and give it another try please go away.
What if Brian was sent to the Tony Racciopi QB camp to learn the ins and outs of QB play in order to improve his QB coaching skills?

Last edited:
The only 2 Coaches on the Offensive side who should stay on Staff after this Season are Betts and Hodge, The rest have all been utter failures to a magnitude that the National Media for 2 Years has made Iowa a running joke. Barnett has been a failure , Copeland has failed and so has Brian, All positive Results on Offense have been at RB and TE .

Kee

That show has failed miserably and it's over. Should be agreeable with everybody not named Ferentz. Those that are foolish enough to massage this and give it another try please go away

I have been in the fire Brian camp for over 2 years now. I was being a bit facetious. The scary thing is that it very well could happen...

Reactions: your_master5
I would not say that 10 wins is very likely.
This. According to current win probabilities, there’s about a 76% chance of losing at least one more game. We actually have a better chance (34%) of losing 2 or more than we do (24%) of winning out.

Reactions: Moral
I just don’t believe that Kirk would risk “embarrassing” Brian by taking away any duties that he currently has.
Plus it would mean acknowledging that he’d made a mistake putting Brian in that position in the first place.
We all know that the Ferentz’s aren’t big on admitting they’re wrong about anything.

Either they both go, or nobody goes.

Maybe Farley leaves UNI and Brian heads up that way to be their HC.
That would be a massive massive pay cut.

UNI is having serious money troubles compared to other MVC football programs. Brian would get a cold slap of reality at UNI in terms of “just ask and anything is yours”.

UNI needs to fire their worthless AD and have Farley become the AD.

What if Brian was sent to the Tony Rassiopi QB camp to learn the ins and outs of QB play in order to improve his QB coaching skills?
lol. $900,000 job that includes on the job training from the ground up.

That kind of luck could happen to anybody, as long as the last name is correct.

Kirk should start a NASCAR team and have Brian be the driver. NASCAR loves the “your daddy was a star so you can be to”.

It makes better financial sense for Kirk to accept a demotion or re-assignment of his son and he still collects his salary vs leaving because the AD wants to fire his son and he ends up giving up his salary. To me, Kirk really doesn't have alot of pull in this situation if he wants to keep getting paid. And if Kirk decides to stay without his son and continues to not be effective next year, THEN the termination talk starts to be about Kirk!

He's not going to retire unless the school says 'retire with this buyout amount'!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT