ADVERTISEMENT

Fatal Shooting by Police in Grand Rapids

Dead guy was a fairly thick dude, not every cop can wrestle every perp. That is why said gun was used. Put yourself in the cops position once. You make that scene different. You would have just let him go. After all it was only a mere traffic stop. Why did he resist? Maybe had a gun or a kilo of of coke in the car?
I think it's fair to say that he could have tried threatening him with the gun at the back of his head instead of immediately pulling the trigger. Again, a training issue.

Reactions: gohawks50
The really sad thing is I'm not even sure the suspect WAS acting like a POS. It very well may be that a combination of poor English skills, ignorance on American policing rules (i.e. you never get out of the car in a traffic stop, you never turn your back on a cop who is issuing verbal orders, etc.) and fear may have made the suspect behave out-of-the-norm. b

Like I said, complete tragedy for all involved.
But even not familiar with “American policing rules” why wouldn’t he comply? I bet if you fight a cop in some country they hang you by your thumbs. But he knew damn well what he was doing and you know it..

Dead guy was a fairly thick dude, not every cop can wrestle every perp. That is why said gun was used. Put yourself in the cops position once. You make that scene different. You would have just let him go. After all it was only a mere traffic stop. Why did he resist? Maybe had a gun or a kilo of of coke in the car?

Those are great points. I hadn't considered all those possible scenarios. You really know how to put things in perspective.

If I was the cop, first I would wonder if the guy has a kilo of coke in the car, then my mind would start racing. Maybe it's not a kilo of coke, but a kilo of C4. But who has just a kilo of C4? Maybe it's three kilos. Maybe it's not just C4, maybe it's something way worse that I haven't even heard of, what if this guy was going to blow up a school? Maybe, it's even worse than that.

Once I considered those possibilities, I'd skip the taser, and go straight for the gun, and use however many bullets needed to protect the school kids.

People like to complain that it is all about white cops out to get black people. I wish there would be more discussions in the black community about just complying with officers. Does society/media like to build this idea that white people punch and fight with cops and don't get shot?

Clearly this officer is in the wrong in this particular instance. The problem is, society never focuses on the lack of compliance as the ultimate cause of these problems.
Yep, them white cops hunt them black people like pheasants..

Reactions: franklinman
I watched the videos, and tried to give myself time to think about it. I admit that I tend to be biased against police.

For me, it came down to 'was the cop justified because he had a reasonable fear for his life'. Based on the fact that the Lyoya was trying to take the taser, I'd say the shooting was justified. I thought the cop acted reasonably from the beginning, even trying to explain the stop and detention. the cop didn't seem to be angry or particularly hostile under the circumstances.

You would be surprised biggrey.....but those are days gone by.....You assume a lot though....But cops get into trouble more oft than not because they FAIL to exercise proper caution.....Its a damn tough job but bad LEO decisions make it a lot tougher than it needs to be. It is important to remember that generally there is a "perp" who is a little more stupid and shows a little poorer judgment than the LEO... Not always, but generally. Tell me biggrey....If that LEO would have waited in his car and called for back-up...do you think any of this shit would have happened? As a LEO, you dont wanna put yourself in a "Rambo" situation...
Pretty sure the cop was unaware he was in need of back up until the guy started resisting.

People like to complain that it is all about white cops out to get black people. I wish there would be more discussions in the black community about just complying with officers. Does society/media like to build this idea that white people punch and fight with cops and don't get shot?

Clearly this officer is in the wrong in this particular instance. The problem is, society never focuses on the lack of compliance as the ultimate cause of these problems.
Seen plenty of videos of people complying and then still getting beaten and/or shot.

But even not familiar with “American policing rules” why wouldn’t he comply? I bet if you fight a cop in some country they hang you by your thumbs. But he knew damn well what he was doing and you know it..
You thought that guy looked like he knew what he was doing?

We will have to agree to disagree. He looked confused and panicked to me.

Reactions: gohawks50
Let me bite this one off. I'll tell you why...he was about to run.

You could see it from the moment the interaction began. Evasive, nervous, not following instructions.

Why would he walk to the other side of the car, purportedly to get his license when he had just been 8 inches from the passenger & glovebox where this supposed license could be found? I'll tell you why, he was trying to put a little distance between himself & the cop before he took off!

And who the eff cares, anyway. It was the officer's clear right at that point to detain him, based on the lack of cooperation he had already exhibited.
And?? Even if you're right is running away a capital crime? He was pulled over so the cop could write a fine and collect revenue for the city. He got shot in the back of the head over that. It's nuts.

Those are great points. I hadn't considered all those possible scenarios. You really know how to put things in perspective.

If I was the cop, first I would wonder if the guy has a kilo of coke in the car, then my mind would start racing. Maybe it's not a kilo of coke, but a kilo of C4. But who has just a kilo of C4? Maybe it's three kilos. Maybe it's not just C4, maybe it's something way worse that I haven't even heard of, what if this guy was going to blow up a school? Maybe, it's even worse than that.

Once I considered those possibilities, I'd skip the taser, and go straight for the gun, and use however many bullets needed to protect the school kids.
Quack

Yeah for such an educated man you are a f*cking idiot. I hope you don’t get pulled over sometime but if you do please resist and see what the outcome will be.

And?? Even if you're right is running away a capital crime? He was pulled over so the cop could write a fine and collect revenue for the city. He got shot in the back of the head over that. It's nuts.
FWIW, cop didn't know who he was yet. Registration didn't match and the driver didn't produce a license.

I watched both videos and am left with two thoughts:

1. It’s amazing the amount of crap police officers have to go through dealing with the general public. They need more pay and better support.

2. The outcome is terribly tragic and unfortunate, but I can’t say the officer was in the wrong here. He did everything he possibly could to get the suspect to comply with lawful orders and the man in question fought him tooth and nail. I see the final outcome—the suspect being shot in the head—as a result of the imminent danger the suspect posed to the officer should the suspect have gained control of the taser, as he could have easily incapacitated the officer and had access to his gun.

I’m not sure what is so controversial here. The shooting seems 100% justified.

FWIW, cop didn't know who he was yet. Registration didn't match and the driver didn't produce a license.
None of those are capital crimes either. Let's review.
Cop pulled guy over on fishing expedition/revenue grab
Guy seems to have trouble understanding him
Cop decides to put hands on him
Guy tries to avoid said hands
Cop tries to tazer, misses, then loses tazer
Some wrestling
Cop shoots him in the back of the head

At the very least the take away should be that the cop is terrible at his job.

You thought that guy looked like he knew what he was doing?

We will have to agree to disagree. He looked confused and panicked to me.
I don't know shit about being a cop but i know enough about human behavior to see the way he reacted when the cop asked him to get back in the vehicle. The cop started picking up on those red flags immediately. That guy had ZERO interest in getting back in that car for whatever reason.

Let me bite this one off. I'll tell you why...he was about to run.

You could see it from the moment the interaction began. Evasive, nervous, not following instructions.

Why would he walk to the other side of the car, purportedly to get his license when he had just been 8 inches from the passenger & glovebox where this supposed license could be found? I'll tell you why, he was trying to put a little distance between himself & the cop before he took off!

And who the eff cares, anyway. It was the officer's clear right at that point to detain him, based on the lack of cooperation he had already exhibited.

The guy who was pulled over for the plates not matching the vehicle was about to run.
Got it.
He didn't have shoes on.
He didn't brandish a weapon.
The cop had at least one minute and thirty seconds of video of the guy's face, the guy's voice and the guy's buddy still in the car.
How far is that guy going to go?
How long is it going to take to get him ID'd and issue a warrant?

I'm sorry but all of the "there might have been a gun in the car" and "there may have been a kilo of coke" in the car folks aren't thinking this through. The cop, knowing that there is another male in the car, ran after the driver, leaving the other passenger alone. If he thought that these two were a couple of hardened criminals who were running drugs and armed to the teeth, then what the "f" is he doing - running after one, tackling him, wrestling him around on the ground, etc. That cop had zero concerns about the passenger. None. Entirely inconsistent with someone who was thinking "I just stumbled into a seriously dangerous situation."

I missed the part of the story where the car was reported stolen, the plates were reported stolen, the driver was an identified suspect for the commission of some other crime, etc.

The driver wasn't speeding. He wasn't driving erratically. It was 8:15 in the morning.

Every story I've read (and the video doesn't refute it) suggests that the cop - for whatever reason - decided to run the plates of that particular vehicle as it drove by him.

Proportionality.

Belem, nothing personal, but I am absolutely amazed sometimes by the depth of your stupidity.

The suspect got shot in the back of the head because he posed an imminent threat to the officer. Period. He posed an imminent threat to the officer because he was trying to gain control of the officer’s taser, which would have resulted in him having the ability to incapacitate the officer and gain access to his gun.

This is not a difficult judgment to make.

I don't know shit about being a cop but i know enough about human behavior to see the way he reacted when the cop asked him to get back in the vehicle. The cop started picking up on those red flags immediately. That guy had ZERO interest in getting back in that car for whatever reason.
100%.

I'm not saying the guy's behavior was appropriate. I'm simply saying his body language and other indicators didn't seem to be someone who "knew what they were doing." Like I said, he looked confused and agitated.

Some wrestling

Holy shit.

Cop pulls car over for plates

Person in vehicle gets out of vehicle.

Cop clearly tells him to get back in the vehicle.

Cop clarifies perp speaks English.

Perp refuses to do as told cop attempts to detain him.

Guy takes off. Cop shoots taser and it does not incapacitate perp. Not sure if it was a miss or malfunction.

"Some wrestling " involves the perp going for the police weapon.

The way that you guys talk about being a cop is ridiculous.

I watched both videos and am left with two thoughts:

1. It’s amazing the amount of crap police officers have to go through dealing with the general public. They need more pay and better support.

2. The outcome is terribly tragic and unfortunate, but I can’t say the officer was in the wrong here. He did everything he possibly could to get the suspect to comply with lawful orders and the man in question fought him tooth and nail. I see the final outcome—the suspect being shot in the head—as a result of the imminent danger the suspect posed to the officer should the suspect have gained control of the taser, as he could have easily incapacitated the officer and had access to his gun.

I’m not sure what is so controversial here. The shooting seems 100% justified.
Isn’t hard to see is it?

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Some wrestling

The guy has committed crimes - though not capital - in front of and to the officer and can not/will not identify himself.

This dude needs to be detained at this point until he can provide some ID at least. Whether the string of events he initiated led the officer to make a justifiable shooting is a separate question.

The guy who was pulled over for the plates not matching the vehicle was about to run.
Got it.
He didn't have shoes on.
He didn't brandish a weapon.
The cop had at least one minute and thirty seconds of video of the guy's face, the guy's voice and the guy's buddy still in the car.
How far is that guy going to go?
How long is it going to take to get him ID'd and issue a warrant?

I'm sorry but all of the "there might have been a gun in the car" and "there may have been a kilo of coke" in the car folks aren't thinking this through. The cop, knowing that there is another male in the car, ran after the driver, leaving the other passenger alone. If he thought that these two were a couple of hardened criminals who were running drugs and armed to the teeth, then what the "f" is he doing - running after one, tackling him, wrestling him around on the ground, etc. That cop had zero concerns about the passenger. None. Entirely inconsistent with someone who was thinking "I just stumbled into a seriously dangerous situation."

I missed the part of the story where the car was reported stolen, the plates were reported stolen, the driver was an identified suspect for the commission of some other crime, etc.

The driver wasn't speeding. He wasn't driving erratically. It was 8:15 in the morning.

Every story I've read (and the video doesn't refute it) suggests that the cop - for whatever reason - decided to run the plates of that particular vehicle as it drove by him.

Proportionality.
🙄

Go ahead and test that theory of yours.

Again . . . why would I think that a cop who pulled me over for speeding (I can have a heavy foot from time to time) would do anything to me? I don't fit the demographic.

And, while I don't have the time to type it now, I have had an interaction with a cop that resulted in me having a cop pull a gun on me, having to get out of the car, being told that I was placed under arrest, asked to have my hands placed on my trunk and thrown in handcuffs (Illinois computer records mistakenly had my license showing as suspended).

I've had many moments since then where I've felt thankful that I looked the way I looked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT