ADVERTISEMENT

Fball and Bball: If we can't land the top in-state recruits or the legacy recruits, we will continue to be irrelevant. Our recruiting in both sucks

Letsgohawks411

HR All-State
Feb 15, 2015
We miss out more often than not on the best in-state recruits in both sports and in football, MAJOR STRIKEOUTS IN LEGACY RECRUITS in football in recent years on defense and offense. Major strikeouts in top in-state talent in both sports. UN F'N ACCEPTABLE if we want to be taken seriously. We need serious upgrades in recruiting in both sports if we are to sniff the top 10 in the conference, especially in football, when Oregon, Washington, USC and UCLA join the conference. I give to NIL monthly but our recruiting in both sports is a solid C-.

We miss out more often than not on the best in-state recruits in both sports and in football, MAJOR STRIKEOUTS IN LEGACY RECRUITS in football in recent years on defense and offense. Major strikeouts in top in-state talent in both sports. UN F'N ACCEPTABLE if we want to be taken seriously. We need serious upgrades in recruiting in both sports if we are to sniff the top 10 in the conference, especially in football, when Oregon, Washington, USC and UCLA join the conference. I give to NIL monthly but our recruiting in both sports is a solid C-.
You need to do a little research and see how many of the top instate recruits commit to Iowa. We do not miss out more often than not. I would agree we need to sign more quality, highly rated out of state recruits.

There is your typical top in-state recruit, and there is the occasional nationally ranked top-instate recruit who attracts a whole lotta additional suitors. Seems like recently the top kid is pretty highly ranked. Is that a byproduct of the program getting more attention nationally?

The "In-state" factor in recruiting is over-rated.

It truly isn't.
So, let me try to explain. Every year there are going to be in-state players that simply want to "get away". And no matter how great of a recruiting staff Iowa has, you're also going to have a few blue-chippers that will be lured to the powerhouses. I just think Iowa might be better served to cast a wider net and not concentrate too heavily on Iowa kids. You obviously want to put in a strong effort on the best Iowa kids, but don't have a strategy that could burn you if they back out late in the game.

We'd be smart to stick with our border states and B18 footprint along with anyone we can get from GA, FL, TX. If the national media treats the Big12 as a 2nd rate conference then it may be worthwhile to get something going in those four corners states. Ton of talent in AZ. And hell we have the one of the best JUCO programs in Iowa Western lets exploit it consistently.

So, let me try to explain. Every year there are going to be in-state players that simply want to "get away". And no matter how great of a recruiting staff Iowa has, you're also going to have a few blue-chippers that will be lured to the powerhouses. I just think Iowa might be better served to cast a wider net and not concentrate too heavily on Iowa kids. You obviously want to put in a strong effort on the best Iowa kids, but don't have a strategy that could burn you if they back out late in the game.
I don't think you need to explain. Iowa has a brand recognition problem, as we come from a small state, not a giant population, and lack the brand recognition of many other programs. Therefore, gathering kids that are familiar with the program, grew up with it, and are near family is important. It isn't just obvious, it is glaring.

Im a new poster here but a long time reader. I know in the past I've read on here some saying Iowa has a disadvantage of being a small state with 2 D1 programs.

With the SEC and B18 clearly being the top 2 conferences do you guys think we will be better with instate recruiting going forward? Especially if these high school kids want to play "Big Time" football.

Lets say 10 kids are worth a D1 scholly in the state on a given year do we maybe get get 8 instead of 6 or so? IDK just think its worthy of a discussion.

You kinda make my point.
Your point is pointless. The point is Iowa needs to upgrade their recruiting, specifically on the offensive side of the ball. It doesn't matter if it's instate or elsewhere. It has to get better.

Your point is pointless. The point is Iowa needs to upgrade their recruiting, specifically on the offensive side of the ball. It doesn't matter if it's instate or elsewhere. It has to get better.
If only Oliver Martin would have come to Iowa, oh wait .....................

If only Oliver Martin would have come to Iowa, oh wait .....................
What does Oliver Martin have to do with anything? He went to Michigan. That Iowa accepted him as a transfer is on the staff and a failure on their part.

Therefore, gathering kids that are familiar with the program, grew up with it, and are near family is important. It isn't just obvious, it is glaring.
Unfortunately, in today's environment with access to so much info and with NIL money, kids that are familiar with the program, grew up with it, and are near family seem to be more willing to go elsewhere than they maybe were in the past.

Also, just my hunch, but I think with recent sucess stories there are more programs actively recruiting in Iowa than in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT