ADVERTISEMENT

Fed raises rates 75 bps

7.5 percent for a 30 year fixed.

that’s a no from me dawg.

I’ll keep my refinanced 3.2 percent yo

They've got to be near the end of the aggressive rate hikes.
Fed’s comments have been pretty dovish though. Hopefully ratchet it down in December if CPI shows any improvement.

Down* as in maybe only a .25 or .50 increase before pausing.

Yeah, maybe 1 more .75% hike before they start tapering off, if that. Hopefully they're done hiking by spring.

Yea, I can't see how the housing market continues to hold up if rates keep going up. The housing market has slowed down but I see a significant correction ahead.

Fed’s comments have been pretty dovish though. Hopefully ratchet it down in December if CPI shows any improvement.

I thought was the plan this time?

Also, will this depress the housing markets more? Asking for a friend who is going to start looking in Florida.

It’s good for me as it will drive down prices. It’s bad for me in that I’m not your typical HORT member and don’t make millions- as prices decrease but interest goes up- my purchase power also goes down

Reactions: CeeTeeHawk1
JMO, which means very little. I think the downturn in the Real estate market is only beginning. Tell your friend to hold out for 6 months or so, if possible.
I sold at the 2005-2007 dropout (moved)

Rented until things turned around in 2013 and bought cheap.
House is now about 2x that purchase price.

So, I would not bother buying now at high interest rates and overpriced valuations. Wait for the bubble to fully burst and buy low. Don't worry about your interest rate if you buy low - rates will drop again and you can refinance then. And maintain/gain more equity faster.

JMO, which means very little. I think the downturn in the Real estate market is only beginning. Tell your friend to hold out for 6 months or so, if possible.

Wait until things are bottoming out. Might be 6-12 months, or more. But prices will be dropping when rates have gone up 4-5%. That's reality.

Reactions: luvmyhawks

I got 4.5% in August and was happy with that. I don't have the credit of a dirty river rat, so that helped. You should stick with what you have, I agree.

Reactions: Joes Place
It’s good for me as it will drive down prices. It’s bad for me in that I’m not your typical HORT member and don’t make millions- as prices decrease but interest goes up- my purchase power also goes down
Yep but prices will come down. Most people buy the monthly payment more than the actual purchase price.

When interest rates were under 3%, a 500k house in IC cost about $2,400 per month. Assuming 20% down.

Now, with rates up around 7%, it costs about $3,500 per month. Also assuming 20% down.

That is a hell of a difference on a monthly payment, which means many people are being priced out at current prices. I'm with @luvmyhawks that within the next 6-9 months, we will see prices continue to fall. Especially as mortgage rates go up and I think they will. I think they hit 9% at some point in the early part of 2023.

Going to have to start paying cash for real estate pretty soon...

It's no longer assured you can out-invest the debt.

Reactions: CaboKP
Right this moment, perhaps. But if you can wait 6-9 months, should be a golden opportunity I would think. May pay a little higher on the rate initially, but they will come back down and you can refi at 5% down the road.

I hope so. Will likely be in the market for the first time in a year or so, if rates are still in the 7% range, I'll rent.

Yep but prices will come down. Most people buy the monthly payment more than the actual purchase price.

When interest rates were under 3%, a 500k house in IC cost about $2,400 per month. Assuming 20% down.

Now, with rates up around 7%, it costs about $3,500 per month. Also assuming 20% down.

That is a hell of a difference on a monthly payment, which means many people are being priced out at current prices. I'm with @luvmyhawks that within the next 6-9 months, we will see prices continue to fall. Especially as mortgage rates go up and I think they will. I think they hit 9% at some point in the early part of 2023.
No way it 6-9 months, closer to 2 years or more. My interest rate on my 1st house was 12.5 % and it took over 2 years before it started going down.

No way it 6-9 months, closer to 2 years or more. My interest rate on my 1st house was 12.5 % and it took over 2 years before it started going down.
The 6-9 months I referred to is when I see prices start to really go down, not rates. Rates will take another year or two after that I think.

Reactions: franklinman
Closed on a house today. 7% fixed for 20 years. I doubt home values will decrease in my area so went ahead and purchased now and hope to refinance within 1-2 years at lower rate.
Time in the market beats timing the market. Hopefully that adage continues to hold true.

Unfortunately, they said they can likely slow the increases, but now their target rate is higher and for longer than what they thought back in September. Ouch. Markets didn't like it at all.

Reactions: hwk23
I live in one of the hot, warm-weather markets with breakneck growth over the last few years, and was told repeatedly by a couple of real estate agents that "Prices will not go down, because we have such an inventory shortage."

I expressed doubt that the current levels of appreciation could continue as the pool of buyers who make enough money to pay those prices is getting smaller and smaller, and home price appreciation is greatly outpacing wage appreciation.

Their only rebuttal was the canned "we have an inventory shortage" response.

It's pretty clear that the majority of that industry (real estate agents, mortgage brokers, title personnel) only paint a rosy forecast, because it is in their best interest to do so.

Trad is gonna be on food stamps if the real estate market gets worse. Probably exaggerate that mileage reimbursement again.

BTW...typically Wall St has seen a healthy jump the day after rate increases.

We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Reactions: lucas80
Trad is gonna be on food stamps if the real estate market gets worse. Probably exaggerate that mileage reimbursement again.

BTW...typically Wall St has seen a healthy jump the day after rate increases.

We'll see how tomorrow goes.

And the last couple times we had healthy returns day of fed decision, we gave it all back the next day.

Reactions: CeeTeeHawk1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT