ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz throws Padilla into the worst possible situation

They go all year with the guy getting zero snaps, they have a bye week and don’t give him first team reps, then they finally decide the time to give him a shot is in the shoe in the worst possible situation. Just effin LoL.

Ferentz knows exactly what he’s doing and is gonna turn around with the I told you so to the fans/media and we will be right back to Petras starting next week. At this point the season is toast and you might as well see what you have with Labas or May for the future. But we know that ain’t happening.
Lol he isn't good. Period

Fine. But nowhere near the worst situation.
Just out of curiosity, I would like to know what your definition of the “worst possible situation” would be for a back up QB who hasn’t taken a single snap all year trying to get some playing time and maybe prove himself a little. I can’t think of anything worse then being thrown to the wolves on the road against the best team in the country whose defense has dominated the second half all season down multiple scores.

I agree we should have put Padilla in much earlier. But if we hadn’t put Padilla in at half you’d also be complaining. Anytime over the last 5 weeks was the right time. Padilla didn’t proof the coaches wrong. He was horrible.
However in the half that he played his stats were better than Petras. I definitely see more upside with Padilla than Petras. He should be starting next week.

You all are talking about the wrong things. It will not matter who we throw in there. This offensive line is quite possibly the worst I've seen in my lifetime. I don't want to hear, "well they're young." They're bad, really really bad! Then, if you want to throw something else in there worse than the QB. Our WRs and BF. Not much talent on the offensive side. Buckle up for de-committing and transfers.....it's coming unless there are major changes......and we all know that's not happening.

This thread is nonsense. Padilla was terrible. Petras was terrible. No, Padilla doesn't get excused because he was in the Shoe against the #2 team in the country. Iowa was already getting blown out at the point. It's not like the whole outcome of the game was on his shoulders. I understand people are desperate for some glimmer of hope but Padilla is most positively, definitely not it.

And some of you get butthurt that I call him juvenile names...ok...how about I call him what he really is....a Grade A DICK!!! Biggest dick move that I've ever seen!!!

You all are talking about the wrong things. It will not matter who we throw in there. This offensive line is quite possibly the worst I've seen in my lifetime. I don't want to hear, "well they're young." They're bad, really really bad! Then, if you want to throw something else in there worse than the QB. Our WRs and BF. Not much talent on the offensive side. Buckle up for de-committing and transfers.....it's coming unless there are major changes......and we all know that's not happening.
If I’m an Iowa fan I’d be more worried if there were no transfers. I do think BF will be gone next year. The question is will they promote from within or go try to grab someone to fix this with the portal?

Fine. But nowhere near the worst situation.
You're right, he could have taken his first snap on our own 1-yd line while at the same time a nuclear bomb exploded above the stadium, an earthquake centered right underneath the football began, the moon decided to come crashing into the Shoe, and Yellowstone blew up. That still wouldn't be the worst situation, but definitely worse than what he saw today.

Absolutely no surprise that Padilla didn't come in and light it up.
The offense is bad in so many ways that even if he was a more capable qb, it would still be an uphill struggle.
So is the answer to stick with the bad QB who has demonstrated how inept he is over many starts? That will almost surely be the direction Brian and Kirk go.

"That's football" when asked how do you explain to your defense why u r 3-4.

"We have good coaches across the board, we just need to keep at it" (beating your head against the wall) and go down with rhe ship.

Too bad to see KF be so ignorantly stubborn.

Wait, he hasn’t practiced? He sucked last year when we saw him and he sucked todsay. Unfortunately for us, Iowa just sucks on offense.

Practice does not equal games. Padilla still won us the NW game. It's not fair to assess him at the same level as Petras because he's had 1/20th of the real reps when it matters.

This is the worst coached team of the KF era.

The OL is a mess; KF is supposed to be an expert here.

The QB situation is a mess.

We have someone unqualified as OC and QBs coach.

Our running backs should not be fumbling on basic running plays.

Hell, we can't even make the center/QB exchange.

This team might have 1 more win in it and that's it.
You forgot that the punter sucked too

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Poor coaching not having back-ups get any playing time. Down by 40 , under 10 min and starters still in there. Not smart.

Yup...this should have been adjudicated against SDSU, Nevada, and Rutgers. At least you know who might have promise under the lights. Other teams throw first or second year guys out there. I guess you have to have a union card in the Hawk program.

Practice does not equal games. Padilla still won us the NW game. It's not fair to assess him at the same level as Petras because he's had 1/20th of the real reps when it matters.
NW scored 12 points and he threw 0 TD’s. I’d say the running game and defense won the game as much as anything.

Petras is horrifically bad. Not even P5 starting QB caliber. I’ve also seen Padilla and he’s worse.

They go all year with the guy getting zero snaps, they have a bye week and don’t give him first team reps, then they finally decide the time to give him a shot is in the shoe in the worst possible situation. Just effin LoL.

Ferentz knows exactly what he’s doing and is gonna turn around with the I told you so to the fans/media and we will be right back to Petras starting next week. At this point the season is toast and you might as well see what you have with Labas or May for the future. But we know that ain’t happening.
It's fine - he showed some evasiveness in the pocket, which is a huge improvement. He'll get his week in practice and if all that comes of it is less sacks, then it's a marked improvement.

Padilla was handcuffed at NW. Did you see the playcalling? We played in a shell the moment we got a lead. Third and 7 was a gauranteed run play up the middle. They only turned him loose against Illinois and Minnesota when they knew they had to. Let Padilla play without fear of making mistakes and he'll do okay. But without C Jones this year that's going to be a bit tougher, isn't it?

Just out of curiosity, I would like to know what your definition of the “worst possible situation” would be for a back up QB who hasn’t taken a single snap all year trying to get some playing time and maybe prove himself a little. I can’t think of anything worse then being thrown to the wolves on the road against the best team in the country whose defense has dominated the second half all season down multiple scores.
After watching OSU for the first time, I wouldn't say they are the best team in the country. If Iowa had a competent offense, they would have had a chance to win this game. Their offense was only able to put up 19 points with some of the best field position I have ever seen in a game over and over again in the first half and it continued for the entire game.

It’s baffling that we didn’t get Labas some time in the fourth quarter today. Hell we should give him starts against Northwestern and Nebraska at least. There is absolutely no downside, he keeps his redshirt. This season, with a top defense, is somehow already over.

Reactions: KC_Hawk_09
Yep, I think some of that blame needs to go to the center
The center-QB exchange has been off all year, which is why it always looks like we’re false starting

Not entirely Padilla’s fault, really. I have to ask, though, WHY wasn’t this fixed in weeks 1-6? It was an obvious problem, week after week, but it looks like no one’s even been working on it all this time

This goes to coaching, once again

It's fine - he showed some evasiveness in the pocket, which is a huge improvement. He'll get his week in practice and if all that comes of it is less sacks, then it's a marked improvement.
He definitely eluded a number of pressures that Petras would not have. There was one 4th down where he scrambled to evade the rush and then tossed it deep to Brecht but incomplete (overthrown). I wondered if he sprinted for the sticks if he could have picked up the 4 yards himself. Definitley more elusive and that gives us a better chance overall if the OL is leaky.

It’s baffling that we didn’t get Labas some time in the fourth quarter today. Hell we should give him starts against Northwestern and Nebraska at least. There is absolutely no downside, he keeps his redshirt. This season, with a top defense, is somehow already over.
As I have stated, JL isn't "getting it" when it comes to the offense, probably won't ever see him.

As I have stated, JL isn't "getting it" when it comes to the offense, probably won't ever see him.
So, 2 of the last 3 QB's recruited (excluding May as a freshman) by Ferentz are incapable of learning this highly sophisticated offense? That in itself is mind boggling and more of a reflection on the coaching staff and offense then the young QBs IMO.

So, 2 of the last 3 QB's recruited (excluding May as a freshman) by Ferentz are incapable of learning this highly sophisticated offense? That in itself is mind boggling and more of a reflection on the coaching staff and offense then the young QBs IMO.
Lamar Jackson sounds like he can read at a fifth grade level, yet is an NFL qb. Or offensive scheme and coorodinator need thrown out

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Yep

Well you would not like it if they had not switched QB’s as most have been yelling for this. At least we know neither have a chance of success with this line

No, Padilla doesn't get excused because he was in the Shoe against the #2 team in the country.

Oh yes he ****ing does. Where are the snaps in garbage time this year? Where are the opportunities in WINNABLE games where Spencer has sucked just as bad like ISU and Illinois? Start his ass and let him fail an entire game like Spencer has umpteen times and then start telling him he sucks too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT