ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz throws Padilla into the worst possible situation

NW scored 12 points and he threw 0 TD’s. I’d say the running game and defense won the game as much as anything.

Petras is horrifically bad. Not even P5 starting QB caliber. I’ve also seen Padilla and he’s worse.
Padilla is not worse. He didn't throw any pics into the heart of the defenders. And got rid of the ball instead of taking a sack early on in which Petras probably would have fumbled again.

He's obviously more mobile and not as blind as Petras.

It’s baffling that we didn’t get Labas some time in the fourth quarter today. Hell we should give him starts against Northwestern and Nebraska at least. There is absolutely no downside, he keeps his redshirt. This season, with a top defense, is somehow already over.

He can play four games and still red shirt. That and Labas red shirted last year. I believe you still only get the one year.

Padilla is not worse. He didn't throw any pics into the heart of the defenders. And got rid of the ball instead of taking a sack early on in which Petras probably would have fumbled again.

Ok 1 above the worst. Let's have a parade.

He can play four games and still red shirt. That and Labas red shirted last year. I believe you still only get the one year.
Good point. He wouldn’t get a Covid year since he was a freshman in 2021. Heck started him the next five games then!

He completed less than half of his passes last year, fumbled his first snap this year and threw a pick. Statistically his QBR was also lower.

I get that Petras is historically bad but Padilla is not the answer either.

Reactions: RLMHAWK
I don’t think many people are claiming Padilla is the answer, only that he’s better than Petras.
The only problem is that he’s not. Statistics back that up too. They’re both sh**y but it actually turns out that Padilla is a little sh**ier than one of the worst QB’s in college football.

Oh yes he ****ing does. Where are the snaps in garbage time this year? Where are the opportunities in WINNABLE games where Spencer has sucked just as bad like ISU and Illinois? Start his ass and let him fail an entire game like Spencer has umpteen times and then start telling him he sucks too.
No, he doesn't. Lack of garbage time snaps didn't fumble the ball or throw that pick. As the #2 he gets plenty of reps in practice. It's one thing to come in and have a bad stat line because you're playing a good team. It's another to make boneheaded mistakes that it was entirely in his power to avoid.

Does not matter who is QB at this point. The QB position is a symptom right now....the disease is what needs to be treated. Barta/KF/BF is the issue.

I don’t know, there was little to no expectations around winning so from that standpoint there’s really no pressure. I don’t think it mattered who was QB. OSU has an elite pass rush, we’re really bad at pass blocking, especially Colby, and this was a bad matchup no matter how you slice it.

The schedule gets much easier so hopefully we can figure out a way to win 3 or 4 out of the last 5.

Padilla is worse accept it
Padilla isn’t great but his ability to move is a huge upgrade for this offense. Petras would have took at least 3 sacks on the plays Padilla escaped the Pocket. I’m actually in favor of putting one of the young QB’s in. They haven’t had enough time in the program to be ruined yet.

Reactions: unclesammy
He completed less than half of his passes last year, fumbled his first snap this year and threw a pick. Statistically his QBR was also lower.

I get that Petras is historically bad but Padilla is not the answer either.
Alex isn’t the long term answer but I’m sure if he would be a lot better if he was making his 23rd career start like Petras. Alex has probably only had 3-4 weeks of 1st team snaps during his whole career.

Iowa needs to utilize his mobility into thier playbook. The reason the jet sweep to Bruce is always blown up is that no other action is worked off of it. DE o my has one read. Use some RPO off it with Padilla.

The center-QB exchange has been off all year, which is why it always looks like we’re false starting

Not entirely Padilla’s fault, really. I have to ask, though, WHY wasn’t this fixed in weeks 1-6? It was an obvious problem, week after week, but it looks like no one’s even been working on it all this time

This goes to coaching, once again
The guy they have playing center isn't very good and shouldn't be playing.

Reactions: MitchLL
The guy they have playing center isn't very good and shouldn't be playing.
I guess they thought they could catch "lightening in a bottle" as they did with Linderbaum.

Problem is the coaching is different and the current kid is just overmatched.

^^^^Ferentz intentionally set Padilla up to try and verify his idea that Petrash is the best option.

Either way, if I'm Padilla, I get out of Dodge ASAP.
Yep…..I was saying that during the bye week. And why I wanted Petras to take every snap against OSU, and for a backup to get the start vs.Northwestern, so that the backup would at least have a fighting chance to succeed.

Reactions: MitchLL and hawkcub
Yep…..I was saying that during the bye week. And why I wanted Petras to take every snap against OSU, and for a backup to get the start vs.Northwestern, so that the backup would at least have a fighting chance to succeed.
These whole circus is the Ferentz Boyz giving the fanbase a BIG middle finger.

^^^^Ferentz intentionally set Padilla up to try and verify his idea that Petrash is the best option.

Either way, if I'm Padilla, I get out of Dodge ASAP.
I hate to go down the conspiracy angle. But when it's painfully obvious Petras is failing miserably the last 2 seasons. Then you put the backup in the worst position you can. It's hard to not feel it was on purpose.

So many people on this board have said look at what this freshmen did or what this backup did in this game for this team. Padilla gets a chance, doesn't perform very well and now it is the staffs fault for putting him in a no win situation. You can't have it both ways.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
So many people on this board have said look at what this freshmen did or what this backup did in this game for this team. Padilla gets a chance, doesn't perform very well and now it is the staffs fault for putting him in a no win situation. You can't have it both ways.

People have been asking for Padilla or Labas, or really anyone not named Petras for most of the season. Some even farther back to the summer when the mythical quarterback competition took place. There have been numerous times to get Padilla into games this season to get his first snaps of the season, but Kirk never found time to do so.

When does Kirk think it’s best to get Padilla his first snaps of the season? You guessed it, at half time against #2 ranked OSU, in Columbus, down 16 points where Iowa (according to ESPN) had a 1.7% chance to win. Padilla came in and out performed Petras, which isn’t saying much.

Last edited:
The only problem is that he’s not. Statistics back that up too. They’re both sh**y but it actually turns out that Padilla is a little sh**ier than one of the worst QB’s in college football.

Stats do back it up. Who had the better passer rating yesterday? A better completion rate? Less INTs? Less fumbles? Petras had a better QBR by 5.9 to 3.1. For a frame of reference here, which you’ve been hanging your hat on for the past 24 hours, McCord had a better QBR than Stroud. Should tell you how big of a joke your QBR is. Petras had 17 more yards passing in four more attempts.

Again, we’re comparing stats between a guy who’s played the equivalent of 4.5 games vs all B1G competition to a guy with 26 starts over three years.

Whether you want Petras, Padilla, Labas, or whomever, it is on the offensive coaches to evaluate and bring in talent. So the coaches look bad either way. Either they haven’t been able to see that they need to hit the transfer portal for qbs, but also o-line. Or they have been playing the wrong guy if Labas or Padilla are even below average. It’s not good either way.

Stats do back it up. Who had the better passer rating yesterday? A better completion rate? Less INTs? Less fumbles? Petras had a better QBR by 5.9 to 3.1. For a frame of reference here, which you’ve been hanging your hat on for the past 24 hours, McCord had a better QBR than Stroud. Should tell you how big of a joke your QBR is. Petras had 17 more yards passing in four more attempts.

Again, we’re comparing stats between a guy who’s played the equivalent of 4.5 games vs all B1G competition to a guy with 26 starts over three years.
I’m sorry that a widely accepted statistical measurement of QB performance bothers you. I’m not hanging my hat on anything. You’re making excuses for Padilla who’s slightly worse than one of the worst QB’s in college. No matter how many excuses you make for him or how emotionally reactive you are, both QB’s suck and Padilla was slightly worse last year and was again on Saturday.

Padilla isn’t great but his ability to move is a huge upgrade for this offense. Petras would have took at least 3 sacks on the plays Padilla escaped the Pocket. I’m actually in favor of putting one of the young QB’s in. They haven’t had enough time in the program to be ruined yet.
Eddie said he could of run for a first down but chose to throw an incomplete pass.

It was almost like the coaches found the perfect situation to throw him in with the hopes that he was terrible to shut everyone up.

It was almost like the coaches found the perfect situation to throw him in with the hopes that he was terrible to shut everyone up.
Just because your paranoid ....
0E5292925E00FB4109F53FB4E2E3F773EC139CD5

doesn't mean Kirk's not f@cking with you

OSU is extremely good, I watched part of the game between hunting and Stroud dropped passes right into the hands of the OSU receivers on most plays. Iowa doesn't have anyone near his ability QB wise nor do they have his receivers.

Give him a week practicing as number 1

Reactions: MitchLL
People keep saying Padilla got no first team reps....is that published somewhere or just another case of our fans bashing the staff for something that they assumed?

Also, is there any reputable source for why they changed? Did they go into the game with a "Petras gets the first half, Padilla gets the second" approach or did they decide, in game, to pull Petras? People seem to be assuming he was pulled on an ad hoc basis, but I've seen nothing to corroborate that.

Shrug...no QB is going to have a good game vs tOSU with that offensive line.

I’m sorry that a widely accepted statistical measurement of QB performance bothers you. I’m not hanging my hat on anything. You’re making excuses for Padilla who’s slightly worse than one of the worst QB’s in college. No matter how many excuses you make for him or how emotionally reactive you are, both QB’s suck and Padilla was slightly worse last year and was again on Saturday.

Don’t be mad at me because you clearly didn’t watch the game. You should be happy about that. Anyone who claims Petras was better with three turnovers inside of Iowa’s 35 yard line than Padilla’s one turnover, didn’t watch the game or is more inept about football than BF.

You’re basing your entire argument on ESPN’s QBR. Every other stat shows Padilla outperformed Petras plus common sense. You know you’re completely wrong, but too stubborn to admit it at this point because of what ESPNs QBR says. Even that stat has changed in the first 24 hours after the game. Also, where did I post excuses? How was Padilla slightly worse? I’d love to hear this. By your metrics, McCord was better than Stroud. That’s how dumb you sound right now. Lol widely accepted.

Last edited:
the guy who ONLY plays vs p5 teams and still has not really had a chance to build much chemistry with our 1st team offense is performing WORSE statistically compared a guy who gets a huge majority of snaps including ALL snaps vs our non p5 opponents?

That's really hard to imagine ;)

Don’t be mad at me because you clearly didn’t watch the game. You should be happy about that. Anyone who claims Petras was better with three turnovers inside of Iowa’s 35 yard line than Padilla’s one turnover, didn’t watch the game or is more inept about football than BF.

You’re basing your entire argument on ESPN’s QBR. Every other stat shows Padilla outperformed Petras plus common sense. You know you’re completely wrong, but too stubborn to admit it at this point because of what ESPNs QBR says. Even that stat has changed in the first 24 hours after the game. Also, where did I post excuses? How was Padilla slightly worse? I’d love to hear this. By your metrics, McCord was better than Stroud. That’s how dumb you sound right now. Lol widely accepted.
stats are WAY overrated when used by most fans. if you don't dive DEEP into analytics they don't mean much. and nobody's truly gonna break things down THAT far unless they're getting paid to do so :)

i mean missing a guy that is WIDE OPEN and an "easy td" is not different than throwing a ball away to prevent a sack/TO according to "completion percentage".

It's kinda like people boasting about stanley great td/int ratio and his amount of redzone TDs but NOT accounting for him having 2 1st round TEs on the team. NOT HATING on Nate at all btw, we'd all love to have him :)

Reactions: iahawks10
They go all year with the guy getting zero snaps, they have a bye week and don’t give him first team reps, then they finally decide the time to give him a shot is in the shoe in the worst possible situation. Just effin LoL.

Ferentz knows exactly what he’s doing and is gonna turn around with the I told you so to the fans/media and we will be right back to Petras starting next week. At this point the season is toast and you might as well see what you have with Labas or May for the future. But we know that ain’t happening.
Seems like Brian’s “what’s the upside?” remark where he thought he had it all figured out lasted all of one half of the next game 😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT