ADVERTISEMENT

Ferrari clan

Dude he’s the worst,

what’s wrong with the dad? I don’t have a ton of knowledge about the family except people keep saying how they really don’t like the dad.
I probably shouldn't have said that. I don't know him personally, I've just heard bad things about him. I've heard he's very intense, but not in a good way, I guess the apple falls close to the tree. I've heard he's an enabler of the bad behaviors that we've all seen or heard about. I'm all for supporting your kids, but refusing to see their bad habits/weaknesses is a dangerous and usually unproductive way of raising kids. If the family is coming, I hope I've gotten bad info and come to the wrong conclusions. We've had people come here in the past that I didn't like much where they were before and didn't want to come, (no I won't elaborate or name names, some were a long time ago) and I became a fan of. I hope this all works out for the best.

Can we all agree at least that the Brands need to rethink some of their philosophies and coaching strategies though? I don’t want them gone, and I think they can get us where we need to go. But the feeling has been for awhile that Iowa guys are just gassed towards the end of the season more than others. I’m not sure why that is because I’m not inside the room but it seems like a consistent issue that needs addressed. What is PSU doing different? Because it sure feels like they’re guys are always fresh and showing up on the big stage and scoring points. What that change would look like I have no idea, but it does feel like they need to reevaluate some things.

Many of the PSU guys work with Sam Calvitta and his Treiging labs. He's infamously known as "the mad scientist". A title given to him by his athlete TJ Dillashaw who failed PED tests in the UFC.

I'd hope that Iowa coaches and wrestlers reach out to Sam and get on the same regimen. Whatever it is, it's clearly legal, because none of the PSU guys have failed a test.

Can we all agree at least that the Brands need to rethink some of their philosophies and coaching strategies though? I don’t want them gone, and I think they can get us where we need to go. But the feeling has been for awhile that Iowa guys are just gassed towards the end of the season more than others. I’m not sure why that is because I’m not inside the room but it seems like a consistent issue that needs addressed. What is PSU doing different? Because it sure feels like they’re guys are always fresh and showing up on the big stage and scoring points. What that change would look like I have no idea, but it does feel like they need to reevaluate some things.

Agree. It doesn't seem like that many years ago when I remember watching Iowa matches going into the 3rd and thinking this was the X factor that would set our guys apart, their conditioning and ability to win close matches late while the other guys gassed. Doesn't seem like that's been the case recently.
To these to above posts. I have spoken about this several times. Training, PRE-hab, RE-hab, scheduling, cycling ALL should be looked into and improved wherever possible.

I will add that IOWA being the premier program. Places more pressure on the kids, coaches, team. I compare it to the NY Yankees in a way. When you play for the Yankees, you play prime time all the time. You have big crowds, cameras, fans, demands of your time etc....

IOWA is kinda like that. You have 15K fans, you have many big matches, you have interviews, fans, demands of your time, travel etc.... It all adds up over time.
How offensive is “guido” to Italian/Sicilian people? Honest question. It doesn’t seem like it’s meant to denigrate the entirety of the the culture. Only a specific part of it. The same thing can be said about a number of ethnic/racial slurs though.
Here in "guido land" (LI, NY) I would say it is not offensive at all. Although I am not a guido, my wife side of the family is very much Italian! We joke about many things that come with it and it is pretty much all good nature stuff. I have friends I would call DAYGOs also and it was never taken harshly.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
Yep scared shitless by the program who

Destroyed the body of perhaps the best lightweight ever
Best finishes outside of 25 are by transfers Woods, Eierman and would have been Lugo.
Underperform every year at Nationals
Have the worst big match preparation by literally doing the same thing over and over
Brought the circus to town which will drive serious legitimate high level recruits elsewhere
Thought going Oakland Raiders on steroids was a viable plan

No Ohio state and Missouri worry me. Iowa amuses me
MIZ!!! 😆

Bummer about Bouzakis. He would be such a great fit for this lineup.

On another note, a friend from Illinois just texted me and said he's hearing rumors from solid sources of Griffith following Woods to Iowa. Anyone else hearing anything about this?

I probably shouldn't have said that. I don't know him personally, I've just heard bad things about him. I've heard he's very intense, but not in a good way, I guess the apple falls close to the tree. I've heard he's an enabler of the bad behaviors that we've all seen or heard about. I'm all for supporting your kids, but refusing to see their bad habits/weaknesses is a dangerous and usually unproductive way of raising kids. If the family is coming, I hope I've gotten bad info and come to the wrong conclusions. We've had people come here in the past that I didn't like much where they were before and didn't want to come, (no I won't elaborate or name names, some were a long time ago) and I became a fan of. I hope this all works out for the best.
There's a case locally where a high school jock with a bad attitude got himself in a lot of trouble. From knowing the parents , they fostered a huge sense of entitlement.
The kid cursed out a referee and during the school board hearing for his suspension the parents claimed he did nothing wrong. He helped beat a guy to death later and still is a huge tool. Drugs are also playing a part by now.
Mom and dad never held him accountable for any of his actions .

Bummer about Bouzakis. He would be such a great fit for this lineup.

On another note, a friend from Illinois just texted me and said he's hearing rumors from solid sources of Griffith following Woods to Iowa. Anyone else hearing anything about this?
I’m not sure where he’d fit into the lineup honestly.

Can you provide us a little more insight as to what you think happens at 133 next year? Do you think filling that hole is imminent - whether with Bouzakis or someone else? If you don't know, that's fine too.
The staff is working tirelessly to upgrade any weight class they see as upgradable. 133 is one of them. I see the news about Bouzakis as a very good sign for our recruitment at that weight range. (25-41)

I have zero ill intentions sharing this news. I’m just a fan like most here and find information like I was given yesterday exciting. Nothing is EVER going to be a sure thing to anyone but the staff and the athletes involved. I’m not going to apologize for sharing what I did. Like I said, if I couldn’t stand the heat I wouldn’t be in the kitchen.

Am I missing something? Isn't the rule that coaches can't speak to a kid in another college program who hasn't entered the portal? And the portal is closed. Anthony Ferrari is an exception b/c he's no longer at OSU. Everything else is speculation, as we appear to have just learned with Bouzakis.

Relatedly, if a poster has (or claims to have) inside information about soft approaches the staff might be making to a kid in another program before that kid places his name in the portal, it's probably not the smartest thing in the world to blab on a public forum, especially one frequented by fans of rival teams who would like nothing better than to take Iowa down.

Reactions: psuguy31
I think he could slide in perfectly at 174!
I want to add that I have ZERO inside information on anything. Just passing along what someone texted me this morning. The guy is definitely not an Iowa fan either but seems to be well connected with the Illinois guys.

Pat Lugo, Real Woods, JE, Ads, Nelson, and Cobe have all improved during their time at Iowa. In their placements and their wrestling ability. Nelson was finally healthy this past week and he looked great.

I’m not saying the program is perfect, far from it, but i think we’re going in the right direction.

Just so no one thinks I’m a complete Tom and Terry apologist (though I think you’ll be hard pressed to find better) I’ll add that I’m not a big fan of our peaking is a mindset idea. It’s not, it’s just not. Also, I do wish I would hear at least one wrestler say I saw that move on tape and me and my coaches came up with a way to block him off. Instead of that they always say they need to force their positions they are best in. Well, IMO, scouting and wrestling in your best position can be done simultaneously. The level of scouting seems to differ from wrestler to wrestler and coach to coach. I’m of the opinion that increased scouting should take place.

The state of Iowa wrestling is better now than it was pre Spencer, but there’s still a ways to go. Top tier transfers, high end recruits, a bright new facility, and an endowed HWCare all steps in the right direction. Im not happy with second and as far as I can tell the coaches and wrestlers aren’t either. They’re doing something about it.

The problem is that's a very small group over the course of the last five or so seasons. The first four you mentioned were all transfers too. JE and Woods have always been talented but I would agree, both improved. You mentioned one guy above 165 lbs as an example of improvement. That's a sad reality and my #1 concern for the program is the lack of development at our upper weights.

Reactions: BBptg5
Am I missing something? Isn't the rule that coaches can't speak to a kid in another college program who hasn't entered the portal? And the portal is closed. Anthony Ferrari is an exception b/c he's no longer at OSU. Everything else is speculation, as we appear to have just learned with Bouzakis.

Relatedly, if a poster has (or claims to have) inside information about soft approaches the staff might be making to a kid in another program before that kid places his name in the portal, it's probably not the smartest thing in the world to blab on a public forum, especially one frequented by fans of rival teams who would like nothing better than to take Iowa down.
It originally came from the parent of an fOSU wrestler in Tulsa. No “rules” were tampered with by anyone on Iowa’s end.

To reply to some in this thread…..while I never excused AJ or talked up his work ethic, I will say his work ethic was amazing. Up until the sexual assault, I could see an argument being made that he’s just immature and will grow out of it, even though some of his stupidity (guns, driving and antics) were breathtaking. Anthony is a different story altogether. Total outlaw. A little checking and nobody would touch him unless they were selling out.

The whole Ferrari clan drove John crazy and affected/infected the whole team. Heck, even the older sister got involved. Again, Angelo has done nothing that I’ve heard and is a super great wrestler. Anthony didn’t show me much. He could be really good but could also be mediocre. I’ll predict none of them are at Iowa to the end of their eligibility.

Why are people so interested? Duh, because they are good and fascinating to watch as a spectacle. They want to see how they affect your program, what antics they pull, etc. AJ is a one trick pony but his trick is so good (quickness, strength and flexibility for takedowns and defense) that he should win multiple titles if he wrestles, considering the competition. I am.very curious to see if/when/how Anthony shows you his colors. And Angelo may end up at the top p4p.

John did sell out to them to a certain point. He has paid a big price. I think he may be gone/retired/moved into admin, but we shall see.

To reply to some in this thread…..while I never excused AJ or talked up his work ethic, I will say his work ethic was amazing. Up until the sexual assault, I could see an argument being made that he’s just immature and will grow out of it, even though some of his stupidity (guns, driving and antics) were breathtaking. Anthony is a different story altogether. Total outlaw. A little checking and nobody would touch him unless they were selling out.

The whole Ferrari clan drove John crazy and affected/infected the whole team. Heck, even the older sister got involved. Again, Angelo has done nothing that I’ve heard and is a super great wrestler. Anthony didn’t show me much. He could be really good but could also be mediocre. I’ll predict none of them are at Iowa to the end of their eligibility.

Why are people so interested? Duh, because they are good and fascinating to watch as a spectacle. AJ is a one trick pony but his trick is so good (quickness, strength and flexibility for takedowns and defense) that he should win multiple titles if he wrestles, considering the competition. I am.very curious to see if/when/how Anthony shows you his colors. And Angelo may end up at the top p4p.

John did sell out to them to a certain point. He has paid a big price. I think he may be gone/retired/moved into admin, but we shall see.
The Jersey Shore got great ratings fwiw🤷‍♂️.

Reactions: IAROY and ichawks
The problem is that's a very small group over the course of the last five or so seasons. The first four you mentioned were all transfers too. JE and Woods have always been talented but I would agree, both improved. You mentioned one guy above 165 lbs as an example of improvement. That's a sad reality and my #1 concern for the program is the lack of development at our upper weights.
I realize that what I am suggesting here is impossible to measure but I think you are way oversimplifying things when you talk about improvement or development. It's entirely possible for a guy to go from a national champion his freshman year to finishing 5th his senior year and that wrestler to still be a better wrestler as a senior. Wrestling is not like running or even golf where an athlete can have a personal best mostly or entirely within their control that can be repeated year over year. If you were the best wrestler at a weight and someone else moved up a weight class or moved down a weight class and beat you out it's not like you became a worse wrestler you just lost you rank in that weight. If you were to get caught in a move once in get pinned that does not make you a worse wrestler it means you lose rank in a weight. If wrestler one time healthy and win and then wrestle later hurt and lose your not a worse wrestler because of that loss you just go down in rank. I realize this is a results based business but I still don't think you can say someone like Jacob Warner is a worse wrestler now then we he entered the program even if his results at nationals don't show a lot of improvement or regression.

What are his post match antics?? I’ve never seen him wrestle. If it just flexing , not worried, Brands flexed this weekend, and he deserved to. Gabe Arnold has flexed after big matches and all people talked about were his impressive muscles. Anthony had a misdemeanor, and I thought it was over his sister and okie st wrestler he was dating. If he was talking shit about his sister or worse I don’t blame him.
I don't think Anthony was dating an OK St wrestler.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT