ADVERTISEMENT

Foosball in IC

sultanofsuede

HR Heisman
Nov 30, 2004
Is there a bar (or bars) that get any consistent play on a Saturday night?

This post was edited on 3/14 8:30 PM by sultanofsuede

Not really, but that might have changes in recent years. When I was a student there (2006 grad), I played some competitive/money games with a group at Q bar, which has since changed, so I doubt anyone is still there. Every once in a while a few guys got together at the bar at the Sheraton. IC really just never had much for foos -- players or decent tables like a Storm II not beat to hell like the oneS at Brothers or Jake's. The two places where in my experience you could always find a good game and players any night was Ames and Storm Lake.

When I was in school, always heard Ames had a thriving frat foos scene. Iowa city was more old dudes and European guys, but we had some great foos nights at joe's and the que.

Just moved back to iowa city and jonesing for a few games

This post was edited on 3/14 9:32 PM by sultanofsuede

Frats in Ames ALWAYS had good games and with some serious money played for. And Storm Lake has 4 bars with good games on a given night with townies and BVU kids. Tornado's Pub in CR used to have regular games on Wednesday nights, so you could check there. I went up there a few times and they had some decent guys and it was laid back. There just for whatever reason isn't much in IC, which was something that was always odd to me considering the amount of people and bars. I live in Madison and foos is non-existent here, but I've heard there is some great money games in Milwaukee. If I was still in IC I'd try to start something up with you and get a bar to sponsor and host some weekly games or start a league.

Do you have a table at home? Where were you at before and did they have an active scene?

I was in iowa city about 10 years prior to your time. Just moved from Chicago. Really didn't have much foosvall going on there, and now with wife and kids it didn't matter too much. One bar in wrigleyville (10 years ago) had a cool foos thing on tuesdays in the winter. Dudes from the burbs would come in, and there might be 30 players. Everyone put $5 on the kitty and you drew names for teams. So you never knew who your partner would be. A ringer could get stuck with a chump like me. Good way to learn a lot about the game, have some laughs over a few beers.

didn't go - figured i'd get to a table and sit there waiting for a game that wasn't going to happen.

Pints Foosball table usually has some good action going on it.

Originally posted by herk90:
What side of town did you end up on?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
sorry - just checked back on this thread and realized you were probably asking where i moved to.

ended up on the east side. didn't have too many houses to choose from in our price range, but i think we're happy with where we landed. nice neighborhood, and can get downtown in 6 or 7 minutes drive time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT