ADVERTISEMENT

For those of you attending Ames for the first time Sat.

That said, I would never LIVE in Ames unless the only other option was moving back to Parkersburg. Ames is like living in Cedar Falls except there's no reason for Ames to exist other than ISU. Absolute definition of "land grant." You can get the same experience most of the time if you just buy a Sam's Club membership. Ample parking. The occasional senseless riot (Christmas/VEISHA), clean drinking water (Hurray for Ames!), food in bulk.

Last time I was in Ames for the Iowa/Iowa St game Iowa won a nail biter 57-3. The last time I was in Ames for a football game was in 87 when Oklahoma won 56-3. I really should attend more games in Ames.

The sound system is totally bush league. The tailgating is completely overrated and the fans, well, just go over to cyclonefanatic.com and read the 20odd pages worth of "**** Iowa" posts for a small sample of Ames' hospitality.

It's just too bad all of it can't be razed and turned into a toxic waste dump.

Reactions: lenoxhawks
It's been 12 years now since I have been to this game in Ames. In the last 5 years I've been to Iowa@Arizona, and US Soccer matches in Mexico and Jamaica. As a 150 pound blonde haired white guy, having done all that.... I promise you, Ames will be just fine.
W...O...W....Impressive as hell, man...Impressive...as...hell. Did you teach all those poor impoverished Jamaican kids how to speak American?

5. The traffic and parking is a breeze compared to Iowa City on game day, although it gets particularly bad when Iowa fans come to town because of their unfamiliarity with basic driving skills.

Seriously, it will be a hell of a mess tomorrow. They're expecting well over 100,000 people tailgating in an area of about one square mile, which would be bad enough, but on top of that there are going to be a handful of presidential candidates and their accompanying flunkies and security folks.
Did you clown fans get over burning cars and turning them over?

Did you clown fans get over burning cars and turning them over?

LC is 1000% right about traffic in both towns. Ames is basically a parking lot and it's very easy to come and go as you please. Iowa City is always a parking nightmare and traffic sucks on gameday if you don't know what you're doing. Iowa City was built before the automobile was a thing. It's the (really) old capitol. As a non-commuter student in IC, you can go for weeks-months without needing transport in a personal vehicle.

For a FB game in Ames, the only traffic to speak of is right around Jack Trice which is neatly placed in a recently forest-turned-cornfield-turned-gridiron that's on campus only because Ames is not much apart from a campus.

1. Yes the town really does have an smell.. Not pig farm but close.
2. The ISU fight song is not a tornado warning. You might think so during and after the game but it really isn't.
3. The fans revolve around this fball game and the Kansas and Iowa bball games. That's really all they have for respect ( except maybe a decent engineering and ag school).
4. The normal stadium protocols will be ignored. Actually had to have the referee warn the announcer/music system last time in Ames after repeated violations after Iowa broke the huddle. Close replays will be shown and despite evidence showing they didn't get screwed 90% of the clowns will go crazy saying they were.
5. Traffic and parking will be a nightmare - they aren't use to this type of crowd and tailgaters who won't be attending. Last time ( I think it was last time, might have been a couple games ago) in Ames the tv announcers almost didn't make the game. Of course they were smart enough not to stay in that shithole of Ames - they came from Des Moines hotel I think.
6. I'm not sure if drunk Suburban kids from Chicago or frat boys are much better but drunk farm kids really are low class. Be prepared.
7. You would think they dominate Iowa despite being 10-10 the last 20, 5-5 the last 10, 3-3 the last 6 or whatever it is. Not going to waste my time looking it up. The favorite shirt is Beat Iowa Again like its a dynasty.
8. Relax - It's always going to be a Hawkeye State.

9. Ferentz is 7-9 in his tenure against ISU
10. ISU at least has a football and basketball parking lot and the fans don't have to be brought in by rail. I wouldn't spew hatred and compare parking if I was you.

5. The traffic and parking is a breeze compared to Iowa City on game day, although it gets particularly bad when Iowa fans come to town because of their unfamiliarity with basic driving skills.

Seriously, it will be a hell of a mess tomorrow. They're expecting well over 100,000 people tailgating in an area of about one square mile, which would be bad enough, but on top of that there are going to be a handful of presidential candidates and their accompanying flunkies and security folks.

Not to mention the added media people as well. I am sure it will be a mess.

Anyone got a link to the Ames PD inmate listing? Should be a few Black n gold, and red & yellow shirts worn in those pics.

Ah, a common enemy we all can hate and treat poorly:)
Yeah, except as much as it pains me to say this, I've been to maybe half a dozen ISU games in Lincoln and never been treated with anything other than total courtesy. Of course, none of my trips to Lincoln were when ISU was competitive.

Nah I talk with people who go/went to ISU all the time. They complain about the smell too. Traitors, I say.....what say you LC?

That sounds like a lot of first beers to me....
I lived in Cedar Rapids for 40 years. Don't tell me about towns that smell.

So Jethro you heading back to the cement pond now. Go Hawks. Will always be a Hawkeye state PB.

Maybe Iowa could cut the baseball program, raze the field, and put in a parking ramp. Then Iowa could be just like ISU.
Yes, if only we could know what a conference championship feels like, if only we knew how it feels to cheer for our team on January 1st and to do it without a bunch of JC players???Oh to be isu; i wish i wish

9. Ferentz is 7-9 in his tenure against ISU
10. ISU at least has a football and basketball parking lot and the fans don't have to be brought in by rail. I wouldn't spew hatred and compare parking if I was you.

Wow what a dynasty.
So proud.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT