ADVERTISEMENT

Fran Credit

We've won 11 of our last 13, including the effing B10 tourney...and you're giving him credit for one game? How effing generous of you!
They played 35 games. And yes, they won 11 of the last 13, but that does not mean his player rotation was great as well. My opinion and I really do not give a rat's *** what you think.

They played 35 games. And yes, they won 11 of the last 13, but that does not mean his player rotation was great as well. My opinion and I really do not give a rat's *** what you think.
I'd guessing you've never coached at any level that matters. You appear to know squat about the challenges that come with coaching.

He's stayed the course and rebuilt the program from the dumpster fire he inherited. Iowa isn't the most attractive place to entice recruits to, so we have to win with the Iowa kids at the core. It worked this year with the most fun team to watch in the country...
It's not the most attractive, but it's far above average as well.

"all time winningest coach"....another sports stat which is wildly misleading and complete bullshit.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: hooper56
"all time winningest coach"....another sports stat which is wildly misleading and complete bullshit.
What are you angry about Hooper56? Take a moment and examine how that label is defined. It's not winning % (which would truly be the "winningest" coach) it's total wins...basically a longevity award. Using those kind of metrics Fran is also the "all time losingest coach" as he has more losses than any other coach at Iowa.

Fran is actually the 8th "winningest" coach at Iowa (winning percentage). This isn't a knock, he's done a nice job. it's just a more honest measure.

Pops Harrison .700
Ed Rule .696
Bucky O'Conner .659
Tom Davis .658
Ralph Miller .651
John Griffith .644
Lute Olson .635
Fran McCaffery .600
Steve Alford .589
George Raveling .587

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iowa_Hawkeyes_men's_basketball_head_coaches

Last edited:
When you have to dredge up coaches that won games that you would hardly recognize compared to today's basketball, you are really reaching to diminish McCaffery's accomplishments here. Ed Rule?!? He coached at the beginning of the LAST century!

When you have to dredge up coaches that won games that you would hardly recognize compared to today's basketball, you are really reaching to diminish McCaffery's accomplishments here. Ed Rule?!? He coached at the beginning of the LAST century!
Nobody is diminishing anything. Those are readily available career numbers. (see link) Your use of the term "dredged up" is pretty transparent. Nice not-so-subtle try at discrediting accurate data.

"Winningest" is best defined by how often you win vs lose. If you think leaving out the guys from the early 20th century is more reasonable, fine. Fran is still nowhere near the winningest. He's done well, nobody suggested otherwise. But he's not nor will he be, the "winningest" coach in Iowa history.

Ed Rule .696 - coached the year after dribbling was allowed (1901), coached against James Naismith. Really???
Bucky O'Conner .659 - The onlysomewhat "modern" coach in this group and his last game was in 1958🤪
John Griffith .644 - coached the 3 seasons after Ed Rule's rule 😉. Last season was 1910.
Pops Harrison .700 - coached until 1950, played an average of 15 games/year - LOL!

None of these coaches are relevant.

Ed Rule .696 - coached the year after dribbling was allowed (1901), coached against James Naismith. Really???
Bucky O'Conner .659 - The onlysomewhat "modern" coach in this group and his last game was in 1958🤪
John Griffith .644 - coached the 3 seasons after Ed Rule's rule 😉. Last season was 1910.
Pops Harrison .700 - coached until 1950, played an average of 15 games/year - LOL!

As you point out, many coached few games. Ed Rule was 37-15 over three non consecutive seasons. Hardly a body of work that would put him at the top of the coaching mountain.

Yes, and...?

The numbers are still the numbers. Fran isn't close to being the "winningest" coach in Iowa basketball history. There are several above him which he will not pass.

It is one thing to have a good winning percentage for a few seasons and another thing entirely to do it consistently over 12 seasons or more. Yes longer time means more games and a greater opportunity for more wins. But it works the other way too, because more games is going to be more losses. However you measure it, Fran has done really well. And if you were to throw out the first season or two he has been as they say, phenomenal.

Reactions: perryhawk
Yes..but if that's the definition you choose, then by extension the "losingest coach" would also be the one with the most losses. You can't just ignore the loss column.

If all you have is insults...you've clearly lost the argument.
LOL.

So it's only your definition that makes sense? I pointed out how ludicrous you are in using antiquated stats from before players were even allowed to dunk or shoot a 3 and you say all I have are insults? Stop acting like a clown and we won't call you one.

Reactions: perryhawk
I always thought myself naturally and prolifically disputatious. Then I joined the Hawkeye Report and discovered I had only scratched the surface of my ability to disagree.

God damn us every one of us but this makes for good reading and definitely good sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT