ADVERTISEMENT

Fran fade

CleteyColgate

HR Heisman
Nov 12, 2012
I've always thought it was dumb to suggest that 'Fran fade' was actually a thing. I remember it originating during one of those years with Gesell, Woodbury, etc. - a great and talented roster but also the year that Patrick got cancer. There was more going on that year than just basketball.

Love the toughness and heart in this year's team.

It happened more than just one year and was a thing. There was a year that Iowa finished 6-1 and almost got into the tournament. Heck, it happened last year.

It could happen next year and be a thing again, but people can give it a rest.

Its crazy, it’s like some years they finish the season strong, other years they don’t. Never seen anything like it in all my years of watching sports.

Its crazy, it’s like some years they finish the season strong, other years they don’t. Never seen anything like it in all my years of watching sports.
You should watch more sports. ;)

It just so happens that those fades happened during really promising years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nagarunja
Well to be fair, the fade happened last year too... It definitely did seem to be a pattern.
Except they rebounded well in the NCAA tournament.

Not this year, though. Two games left and the team still looks salty. Refreshing!

The Hawkeyes are down to an 8
player rotation as this season winds
down. Our 3 player bench has been
able to give us good minutes and
some needed scoring.

Luka Garza is still the engine that
makes this team go. With an average
of 23.6 points per game he is a force
to be reckoned with.

The Hawkeyes are down to an 8
player rotation as this season winds
down. Our 3 player bench has been
able to give us good minutes and
some needed scoring.

Luka Garza is still the engine that
makes this team go. With an average
of 23.6 points per game he is a force
to be reckoned with.
Yep having an absolute consistent force like luka is what has prevented the fade.

If there was a Fran Fade what in the hell would one call Alford's Big Ten performances? I think he was five seasons in before Iowa had a winning conference record.

Fran has been making almost all of the right calls, especially after Nunge got hurt, and JBo & PMac couldn't play. At the time, I wondered if we could finish .500 in the B1G. Fran's best year as a coach at Iowa, and we need to finish it strong.

Iowa is 2 games over .500 in February under Fran. For every year they had the so called Fran Fade they had a good year offset it, flipping the record, 5-2 vs 2-5. Definitely exists.
:rolleyes:

I’ve said this about a billion times but it’s worth repeating. Fran’s record in the B1G, including the BTT, is better the 2nd half of the schedule.

What has been so maddening is what one poster mentioned above - Iowa has had multiple promising seasons "fade." If you eliminate Fran's first season, Iowa actually has a better record in the 2nd half and BTT during NIT or losing seasons (22-21) than they do during their NCAA seasons (20-22). When your 4 best teams have an overall worse record in Feb/March than your 4 next best teams (including one that finished 4-14 in B1G), that's pretty backasswards.

I'm glad that this team has recovered from some pretty ugly losses that looked like they might trigger a "fade," but the notion of Fran's good teams not playing well when it counts is not a fallacy.

I only looked at the first page, but I am astonished at some of the level-headed thinking displayed by many of the Clone fans. That was rather refreshing.
Yep. That’s why I said
I only looked at the first page, but I am astonished at some of the level-headed thinking displayed by many of the Clone fans. That was rather refreshing.
Cy Twins is the expert I was referring to and it seems like most of the ISU fans on there are tired of his act, kinda like a lot of them are waking up to Pollard’s shenanigans.

You should watch more sports. ;)

It just so happens that those fades happened during really promising years.

Exactly. I have to go find the old posts where I went over the last 10 games of each year of the Fran era. The reason people remember this or a narrative gets started is the 2 most promising years of the Fran era did end with a whimper. But there was also the year where White went nuts down the stretch and Iowa got into the tournament and beat Davidson. Or Bohannon/Kriener/Pemsl freshman year where they won at Maryland and at Wisconsin down the stretch to get on the bubble.

It's sports, teams do different things in different years. This year's team definitely has a different feel to it. Guys on the team who just don't give a rip, they are just going to go out and play. How it should be.

What has been so maddening is what one poster mentioned above - Iowa has had multiple promising seasons "fade." If you eliminate Fran's first season, Iowa actually has a better record in the 2nd half and BTT during NIT or losing seasons (22-21) than they do during their NCAA seasons (20-22). When your 4 best teams have an overall worse record in Feb/March than your 4 next best teams (including one that finished 4-14 in B1G), that's pretty backasswards.

I'm glad that this team has recovered from some pretty ugly losses that looked like they might trigger a "fade," but the notion of Fran's good teams not playing well when it counts is not a fallacy.
We’re those 2-3 years really fades or regression to the team they really were. Sure it’s happened but it’s far from annual that fans like to say as soon as Iowa loses a game in February.

Reactions: RocknRollface
An 80+ page, one month response to CyTwins continued insanity regarding Iowa. And they say Iowa fans are obsessed with our little Moo U brothers.

you realize that if good teams play great for a stretch then things tend to average out over time, right?

it has little to do with Fran.

Fran's most promising seasons have ended with his worst performances in Big 10 play and that is a understandably a sore point. Then you throw in the fact Iowa is only program that has not made it to a Saturday game in BTT during Fran's time at Iowa---that is part of the Fade narrative---crappy BTT performance. Fran has a nice team this year and he's set up very well for next year. Iowa fans have been patient. It is not like he has given Iowa fans 9 years of kicking ass in Big10 like truly great Big10 coaches of past like Bo Ryan and Gene Keady did for their fans.

Reactions: hawkeyemark56
you realize that if good teams play great for a stretch then things tend to average out over time, right?

it has little to do with Fran.

Yeah, that pretty much has nothing to do with anything, unless you're trying to prove my point that Fran's best teams have peaked too early, and have zero BTT quarterfinal wins and one competitive 2nd round NCAA Tourney game in all the time he's been here. In which case, thanks.

Huh, that CyTwins keeps stating that Jordan Bohannon is going to graduate transfer in that thread. That doesn't really make any sense to me, why would he want to leave Iowa when he could literally be the starting guard for a top 10 team if Garza comes back.

I've always thought it was dumb to suggest that 'Fran fade' was actually a thing. I remember it originating during one of those years with Gesell, Woodbury, etc. - a great and talented roster but also the year that Patrick got cancer. There was more going on that year than just basketball.

Love the toughness and heart in this year's team.

Who exactly coined the phrase "The Fran Fade"?

We’re those 2-3 years really fades or regression to the team they really were. Sure it’s happened but it’s far from annual that fans like to say as soon as Iowa loses a game in February.
I'm loving Fran's approach and attitude with this team. Even with key players out the guys are still jelling. Fran's a great coach. I'm glad we have him.

Fran fade is definitely a thing
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT