ADVERTISEMENT

Fran high potential players

IAFB2021Champs

HR Heisman
Feb 6, 2012
I’m curious if Fran has been helping or hurting some of his higher potential players. Over the past couple years he seems to be pumping the breaks on players that is fans can see have great potential.
Everyone could see that Keegan should have been starting as a freshman yet he limited him and started connnor at the 4.

Last year you could argued that Kris should have been starting and playing more minutes.

This year it seems like Bowen has the potential to be the best PG iowa has had in a long time yet he goes long stretches without getting to play.

Maybe this plan is working as I feel like some of the guys with high potential that did start right away never really improved throughout the years. Cook, weezy, jbo, moss. All these guys started right away and in my mind never really got to that next level to bring the program to a new level. Are the players better off playing a bit and messing up and getting benched and watching and learning from it?

The only guy that started a majority of his freshman year and improved was the peacock and well he’s the peacock for a reason. And I’d argue his improvement was the work he put in

I’m curious if Fran has been helping or hurting some of his higher potential players. Over the past couple years he seems to be pumping the breaks on players that is fans can see have great potential.
Everyone could see that Keegan should have been starting as a freshman yet he limited him and started connnor at the 4.

Last year you could argued that Kris should have been starting and playing more minutes.

This year it seems like Bowen has the potential to be the best PG iowa has had in a long time yet he goes long stretches without getting to play.

Maybe this plan is working as I feel like some of the guys with high potential that did start right away never really improved throughout the years. Cook, weezy, jbo, moss. All these guys started right away and in my mind never really got to that next level to bring the program to a new level. Are the players better off playing a bit and messing up and getting benched and watching and learning from it?

The only guy that started a majority of his freshman year and improved was the peacock and well he’s the peacock for a reason. And I’d argue his improvement was the work he put in
It doesn't matter whether Fran gives a guy tons of rope right away (Cook) or sits him when he screws up (Toussaint). Either way, some shitbird is going to come on here to call him a terrible coach.

It doesn't matter whether Fran gives a guy tons of rope right away (Cook) or sits him when he screws up (Toussaint). Either way, some shitbird is going to come on here to call him a terrible coach.
That’s what this shitbird is trying to figure out. It seems the last couple years it’s actually worked better to ease them in. Maybe that’s what Fran’s trying to do now instead of throwing them in the fire and they don’t get to watch and learn.

Ferentz is a prime example of that. Iowa football is known for developing and not playing many under class-men.

Ahron did much of what he was asked to do last night. I think that Coach McCaffery wanted to push tempo the whole game, to keep ISU from getting set and comfortable on defense. I think that Ahron did that. But Ahron did have 6 turnovers, some of which were bad. So I think that Ahron was good, but not fantastic. He played good defense, obviously rebounded well, and hit several big shots early.

Dasonte Bowen did not look good in his short stint last night. He will be fine going forward. He has some elite traits, but I think that Coach McCaffery made the right decision yesterday putting him back on the bench.

The other way of looking at it is not many wanted the Murray twins or Garza for that matter. They came to Fran's program and left NBA-like talent. I think he has an eye for talent and develops it pretty well.

Garza had Louisville offer...so that runs counter to your not many wanted thesis.

Watch Ulis play? Lol. He didn’t know what he was doing last night. Tried being Mr Dribble. Then f everything up. Hope he keeps that stored in his short term mem.
But on the defensive end, he was very good. And when he wasn't dribbling the crap out of the ball and/or turning it over, he did pretty well on the offensive end. There will be some great film for learning from this game for Ahron.

And I was cursing at him during the game and posting that his ass should be sitting, so I am definitely not an apologist!

Garza had Louisville offer...so that runs counter to your not many wanted thesis.
Are you for real BTW? Can you, for a minute, look back at what Garza what like his freshman year? Does Fran get any credit for his development in your all-knowing basketball expertise or do you just enjoy bitching?

But on the defensive end, he was very good. And when he wasn't dribbling the crap out of the ball and/or turning it over, he did pretty well on the offensive end. There will be some great film for learning from this game for Ahron.

And I was cursing at him during the game and posting that his ass should be sitting, so I am definitely not an apologist!
No apology necessary. He was bad for a game. And good. He did some good things. I was focused on the bad, cuz it was bad.

Reactions: BBHawk
Ahron Ulis was fantastic last night
8 points
7 rebounds
2 assists
0 fouls

he controlled the tempo and was great on defense.

sometimes I think you all live in an alternate reality
Sometimes, I think you leave out telling statistics. Dont wanna beat the dead horse, but he’s a point guard. Being un-Franlike with the ball should provide you with time on the bench watching a YouTube vid of Connor valuing the ball..

Sometimes, I think you leave out telling statistics. Dont wanna beat the dead horse, but he’s a point guard. Being un-Franlike with the ball should provide you with time on the bench watching a YouTube vid of Connor valuing the ball..
yea... I left out the fact that he was 2 for 2 in 3 pointers
~thanks

Ahron Ulis was fantastic last night
8 points
7 rebounds
2 assists
0 fouls

he controlled the tempo and was great on defense.

sometimes I think you all live in an alternate reality
Yes, he was pretty good but did have some uncharacteristic turnovers (6?) due to the ultra aggressive ISU scheme

Ulis is never going to be a world beater and people take some of his strengths for granted (defense, rebounding, normally careful with ball, etc.)...

but I think people are hungry to see how quickly Bowen can elevate this team. Fran should give him a little leeway given he is a true freshman.

Reactions: 1911_Bandit
Yes, he was pretty good but did have some uncharacteristic turnovers (6?) due to the ultra aggressive ISU scheme

Ulis is never going to be a world beater and people take some of his strengths for granted (defense, rebounding, normally careful with ball, etc.)...

but I think people are hungry to see how quickly Bowen can elevate this team. Fran should give him a little leeway given he is a true freshman.
yea... I just don't know... right now, it appears Ulis is much better... and there is no guarantee Bowen will ever be as good as Ulis...
so I'm 100% in on Ulis.

This reminds me of when people here were calling Fran an idiot for playing Woodbury more minutes than Olaseni because Olaseni was obviously better because he DOES REALLY COOL DUNKS!

Reactions: skydog0784
6 TOs in 36 minutes of play isn't great, but it also isn't terrible. Especially when you consider that he was often being doubled once he stepped across half-court in the second half. He needs to not try to split the defense so much, but there also was likely a foul or 2 missed on some of those.
2 TOs in 3 minutes however is awful. I have no doubt Bowen will improve on that. With how ISU was playing defense with doubling the ball, Fran also risks Bowen losing even more confidence by putting him out there and him continually turning the ball over in the double teams. ISU was #1 in the country going into the game forcing turnovers--throwing a freshman out there to struggle through that is unproductive minutes and can be damaging overall.

I thought 6 to was a couple to many but he played great defense, pushed the ball well, and made aome big buckets. We'll definitely see more of Bowen and he has a great upside but we crushed ISU. Obviously something was working. Hope we shoot like that against wiscy

yea... I just don't know... right now, it appears Ulis is much better... and there is no guarantee Bowen will ever be as good as Ulis...
so I'm 100% in on Ulis.
I think Ulis is better than people give him credit for. And I have been defending him pretty consistently. He just doesn't have a flashy style of play, but is generally very effective sans great shooting (he seems to have slightly improved his shooting, which is still his main weakness).

Fran needs to find ways to get Bowen minutes which could be as point guard, 2G and even as a third guard against quicker and/or smaller teams. Hopefully Bowen can get some heavy minutes in the next 2 NC games at least. We will need him as we progress thru B1G play.

No matter what, Ulis will play a solid core role but we desperately need better depth/bench play. This is one of the thinner groups I can remember.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT