ADVERTISEMENT

Fran McCaffery is only under Contract thru 2023; Time for a lengthy extension

A huge raise is deserved as well.

Expect this all to happen soon after the season ends. :)

Not sure this is the right time to be discussing this. Can't ignore the elephant in the room - the calendar says March 1, and FM has an awful lot to prove with his team/coaching from this point onward.

Reactions: blhawk
Thanks, Scott! :D
giphy.gif

10 years
zero b1g championships
zero btt championships
zero sweet 16 trips

very happy with the team and season, but I don't know about a huge raise....
I agree, good job building this team and definitely a good year but he’s not going anywhere whether he gets a raise or extension or whatever . Where would he go... he is going to stay until his kids graduate anyway .

10 years
zero b1g championships
zero btt championships
zero sweet 16 trips

very happy with the team and season, but I don't know about a huge raise....
Zero dollars from Adidas funneled to players' families and handlers

Zero dollars from Nike funneled to players' families and handlers

Zero Level 1 NCAA violations (unlike Bill Self)

Give Iowa a little credit here. This appears to be a sensational environment for Fran and his family. Iowa is a top 25 Power Five with huge resources, great quality of life and health care, and close to his wife’s family. His kids play for him. The press coverage is soft. And he’s pretty well liked... especially right now.

Plus, a couple million spends better in Iowa City than other places. He’s a loyal guy who has left a trail of friends on previous stops. And, Iowa is a place that will reciprocate loyalty if it’s combined with success. We can keep him and he can keep us. Not guaranteed, but things are going well on March 1.

Give Iowa a little credit here. This appears to be a sensational environment for Fran and his family. Iowa is a top 25 Power Five with huge resources, great quality of life and health care, and close to his wife’s family. His kids play for him. The press coverage is soft. And he’s pretty well liked... especially right now.

Plus, a couple million spends better in Iowa City than other places. He’s a loyal guy who has left a trail of friends on previous stops. And, Iowa is a place that will reciprocate loyalty if it’s combined with success. We can keep him and he can keep us. Not guaranteed, but things are going well on March 1.

Reactions: Suterman
I’m fine with extending and giving him a raise. He’s done a good job for us and I like stability.

Can someone list the coaches on the list when he was hired. A number of those ‘hot’ names totally busted out and are gone. We might have the best 1-2 in that bunch.

If I am Fran, I try to accelerate Phase 2 of the Carver renovations as leverage. Not only do I expect him to sustain the current levels of success but that would be a nice legacy for him and leave the next coach in a great position.

Fran is not going to demand more money or anything. His boss trusts him and has his back, and it’s a two way street.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I'd say 5 more years good raise and that would probably be his last contract as his youngest son who seems to be the best of all 3 of them is in 7th grade now that would take him through about this Senior year. He is 60 after all.

A huge raise is deserved as well.

Expect this all to happen soon after the season ends. :)

Let's see, Jack is in 7th grade. So he is the HS class of 2025. Iowa either 2029, or 2030. Add a few extra years to keep recruiting going and we have 2032ish...

Get a good raise. But keep the buyout low after several years.

With what we have coming back. Tapped with this incoming recruiting class. And I think Fran is on a run that will be tops in Hawkeye History, when all said and done.

I am liking what I see. What I hope happens in the next couple of years, is Garza stays for his senior season. And the incoming recruits understand that their time will come....
There will be only two, maybe three of them playing their first season as Hawks.... And some of them may not see much time their 2nd season. BUT their 3rd & 4th years (5th for whoever redshirts), there will be a lot of playing time.

I’m fine with extending and giving him a raise. He’s done a good job for us and I like stability.

Can someone list the coaches on the list when he was hired. A number of those ‘hot’ names totally busted out and are gone. We might have the best 1-2 in that bunch.

Here's a Bleacher Nation post from the time: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-todd-lickliter-as-head-coach-at-iowa#slide11

• Bruce Pearl: Former Iowa ties under Dr. Tom, but disgraceful exit at Tennessee. Successful now at Auburn, but will always have a cloud hanging over him.
  • Craig Robinson: Fired by Oregon St. in 2014, now in the Knicks front office.
  • Larry Eustachy: Stayed at Southern Miss until 2012, when he went to Colorado St. Eventually resigned after being put on leave and investigated RE: abusing his players.
  • Scott Drew: Not sure if he was ever a serious candidate, but he's having a hell of a run at Baylor right now.
  • Chris Collins: Got Northwestern to its first NCAA tournament. He's been pretty good at a school where it's hard to be pretty good.
  • Tony Barbee: Bad run at Auburn before being replaced by Pearl.
  • Steve Lavin: Went to St. John's for a brief tenure and had success before going back to the TV booth.
  • Keno Davis: Had a rough run at Providence and has been at Central Michigan since 2012 with so-so success.
  • Ben Jacobson: He's stayed at UNI and had mixed success - some really good seasons and some really mediocre ones.
  • Kevin Stallings: Had a pretty good run at Vandy, but retired from Pitt after just a few seasons with NCAA sanctions hanging over his head.
  • Tom Brands: He's the man.
I can't say that McCaffery was the best choice from those available at the time, necessarily in terms of maximizing the success, but after the Alford fade and the absolute ineptitude of the Lickliter era, I don't have a ton of complaints now. Fran could have been better, but Iowa also could have been much, much, much worse off.

Zero dollars from Adidas funneled to players' families and handlers

Zero dollars from Nike funneled to players' families and handlers

Zero Level 1 NCAA violations (unlike Bill Self)

Zero Sweet 16 appearances

Not many Power 5 coaching jobs where a coach can fail to make it to a Sweet 16 in first 10 years, and be as safe in the job as Fran is.

Sorry guys but the game was in jeopardy 98% of the time tonight. We were totally out rebounded, out shot and out hustled. You can’t wait until 2 minutes in the game to play more aggressively. That’s on the guys on the floor. You need to come out and play like the game is about to be lost whether there is 2 minutes left or twenty!

LOL, so fire Fran pal?
I agree that Fran is safe in his job security.

My frustration is that with no Sweet 16 appearances one-fifth of the way through the 21st century, it appears that Iowa administration (including Barta) is perfectly fine with having a basketball program where the ceiling is making the tournament, while the basement is the 19-20 loss season.

In my opinion, a Sweet 16 should be an attainable goal at a Power 5 program at least once every 10 years. In today's landscape, a Sweet 16 appearance is a sign of relevance. A coach with no Sweet 16 appearances in 10 years is the sign of a program that has accepted being irrelevant in college basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT