ADVERTISEMENT

Fran postgame

True. I think the crucial point in the game came when Luka got the phantom whistle at the 4 min. mark. Score tied. Fran sat Luka for a minute and Jack came in. Curbelo dribbled along the baseline, curled around Jack and flipped it in. Ayo had that "We just got a big break" look on his face when Luka went out. If it was me, and I'm not a coach, I would have left Luka in even with 4 fouls. Only 4 min. left, and if he fouls out, oh well, then put Jack in. At least when Luka was in, there was continuity in the offense. JMO.
agreed; i would have kept him in the game, too

What does Fran have to complain about when they give up 20+ points on blow by layups and run outs? When you can't create off the bonce or defend other teams off the bounce you are going to get exposed.

I don't think Hassle is a very big fan of Fran, just based off his tweets over the past couple of years. I also don't think the guys at WHO (Hassle's former employer and close friends) are very big fans of Fran, and maybe the fact that he refuses to come on their radio show (they have made these comments on air) when KF is on weekly has something to do with it.

I disagree with Hassle that Fran was trying to disparage a reporter. I do, however, agree with Hassle that Fran didn't handle that post game presser very well. The goal tend call hurt, but overall I didn't think the officiating lost Iowa the game. It would have been a great opportunity for Fran to just say we didn't play our best but still had a chance to win. We have to be better down the stretch, where we had to two terrible turnovers in the final two minutes. But like Hassle said, each coach handles a loss differently. Frans handling of this one just seemed whiny when Iowa can, and needs, to play better.

Reactions: Tim Dodge Rules
It's stupid these coaches have to answer these stupid media questions after games. I'd really like an answer to that Bohannon question though. Not the question to ask after a loss but a good question to ask at a weekly press conference.

Folks, I covered the game. Was on the Zoom. Fran wasn't going after the reporter. That's a terrible take from Hassel, a guy who wasn't even on the call and isn't covering the team. Basically, Fran couldn't say a negative word about the officials. If he does, he's getting fined and maybe even suspended. So he used what the reporter said to make his point. Reporter was not offended in the least and in fact, Fran joked about it later in the presser.
Who cares about the reporter, they chose their line of work.

Interesting thought. Do you carry that line of thinking to all professions?

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Interesting thought. Do you carry that line of thinking to all professions?
Nope, strictly sports reporters and talking heads in sports.
Why people care what those goofs have to say about anything boggles my mind.

Nope, strictly sports reporters and talking heads in sports.
Why people care what those goofs have to say about anything boggles my mind.

Fair enough. I will agree there are some that I don’t care for, but also some that seem like great human beings. Like all walks of life I suppose.

Imagine if Fran coached in a big media market. He’d get torched on a daily basis with his acting this way toward the media and his lack of taking the blame for his decisions. In games vs athletic teams like Illini, Indiana, and Rutgers, he has to play Perkins, Joe T, and Ulis more to wear them down for our limited first team players that struggle against that type of athleticism. And if they lose, own the loss like a coach should instead of give those answers. Reply in a way that moves the reasons for the loss to another areas of the game they struggled.

Honestly, one of worst officiating games I’ve seen in a long time.
The three hops on baseline before half leading to Hail Mary 3.
The pt guard pulling McCaffery to ground from behind to allow open go ahead 3.
No fouls on iIllinois in last how many minutes?

I know it’s fun to throw names out there but JB is 67. You generally don’t hire someone that old unless it’s for transitional purposes.

Honestly, one of worst officiating games I’ve seen in a long time.
The three hops on baseline before half leading to Hail Mary 3.
The pt guard pulling McCaffery to ground from behind to allow open go ahead 3.
No fouls on iIllinois in last how many minutes?

Does anyone have a clip of this?

I wish we would get someone else. I mean the fact his teams play ZERO defense, the fact that they fade away down the stretch, how he treats the media and how he has had guys like Garza, White and even Uthoff play for him and hasn’t finished even top 3 in the conference

If Painter had this roster he would be undefeated in the conference.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
Fran is getting more succinct as he ages, six words to answer the first three question. You go Fran!

Last edited:
I don't think Hassle is a very big fan of Fran, just based off his tweets over the past couple of years. I also don't think the guys at WHO (Hassle's former employer and close friends) are very big fans of Fran, and maybe the fact that he refuses to come on their radio show (they have made these comments on air) when KF is on weekly has something to do with it.

I disagree with Hassle that Fran was trying to disparage a reporter. I do, however, agree with Hassle that Fran didn't handle that post game presser very well. The goal tend call hurt, but overall I didn't think the officiating lost Iowa the game. It would have been a great opportunity for Fran to just say we didn't play our best but still had a chance to win. We have to be better down the stretch, where we had to two terrible turnovers in the final two minutes. But like Hassle said, each coach handles a loss differently. Frans handling of this one just seemed whiny when Iowa can, and needs, to play better.

Hassel hates Fran because Fran has a sometimes uncomfortable relationship with Dolph. That's pretty well documented. Hassel is a Dolph guy, which is fine. I love Dolph and he's a great guy, but Chris lets it get personal and throws his usual hissy fits on twitter after games when Iowa loses, generally attacking Fran. I think Chris is a talented guy, but at some point in his life I hope he matures a bit with his social media persona.

Reactions: Rudolph
Because folks like Chris Hassel have to be outraged at everything Fran does.

I just listened to the podcast with John. I appreciate the information and insight. That is the reason why I come to this board, though I am finding less insight and more whining and complaining lately.

If you're a reporter, you should expect it. It comes with the territory of writing about a game for a living. Try interviewing Bob Knight after an Indiana loss if you think Fran is a little too...cantankerous.
I agree, God forbid he offends someone. If reporters don’t have thick enough skin to let that bounce off them then they need to give it up.

I agree, God forbid he offends someone. If reporters don’t have thick enough skin to let that bounce off them then they need to give it up.

Look I get you guys dislike the beat writers at Iowa. That's fine, but zero...and by zero I mean zero were offended. We all got what Fran was doing and understood it. Now back to your shots at thin skinned reporters...

You know, we used to have a coach who was calm after losses and in fact didn’t seem to care if the Hawks won or lost. You didn’t like that guy. I love Fran’s competitiveness.

and before that we had a coach who got so upset after a loss in cedar falls he took away the post-game pizza for the trip back to IC...which is OK...don't feed them...what do I give a crap. BUT...he made sure it got out to the media...it was all about him..

I appreciate Fran or any other coach who doesn't throw 'his guys' under the bus to the media ... some stuff is better off staying in the locker room.

Reactions: Rudolph
He's never said he doesn't bear responsiblity for the record.

I never accused fran of denying responsibility on his record. Those are your words. I don't think he talks much about his record and how it stacks up. A lot of fans are quite happy with Fran's record. Some are in less awe. He's obviously not on the hot seat having his best team in 11 years.

Fran is about 0.500 in B1G over his Iowa career. In his terrible 2017 season, he told the world he wasn't on the hot seat and had no plans to change his methods because of the "body of his work." That statement sounds like a guy that is quite confident is his abilities and feels he has done well above average. I would imagine he feels even better about his abilities with a POY on his team.

Winning 50% of your B1G games over 11 year period is not setting the world on fire. Bo Ryan, Izzo, Belein, Painter..guys that have actually won B1G titles are the coaches that have set the world on fire.

We know Iowa could do a lot worse (Lickliter)..but the other two guys Davis and Alford also had around 0.500 B1G records. Perhaps it is not that difficult to coach an Iowa team to win 50% of your B1G games since 3 of the last 4 guys have been able to do it..

Look I get you guys dislike the beat writers at Iowa. That's fine, but zero...and by zero I mean zero were offended. We all got what Fran was doing and understood it. Now back to your shots at thin skinned reporters...

Kakert You seem to be more thin skinned than Fran.

Hassel hates Fran because Fran has a sometimes uncomfortable relationship with Dolph. That's pretty well documented. Hassel is a Dolph guy, which is fine. I love Dolph and he's a great guy, but Chris lets it get personal and throws his usual hissy fits on twitter after games when Iowa loses, generally attacking Fran. I think Chris is a talented guy, but at some point in his life I hope he matures a bit with his social media persona.
This response is why I don't give a crap about anything you "reporters" have to say.
You all act like you're so important, Hassel(whomever he is, lol), not so much you in this case.
When I read any of your opinions and I mean any "reporters", local or national, it boggles my mind why anyone cares about any of your opinions.

Reactions: DewHawk
This response is why I don't give a crap about anything you "reporters" have to say.
You all act like you're so important, Hassel(whomever he is, lol), not so much you in this case.
When I read any of your opinions and I mean any "reporters", local or national, it boggles my mind why anyone cares about any of your opinions.
Many people value the opinion of beat writers/reporters because following a specific topic is their JOB, not just a hobby like Hawkeye sports are for many members of this board. I would expect that Tom and Blair have a much better grasp of what’s going on within Hawkeye sports than I do, being people who talk with those closely connected to the program, so if they share an opinion, it carries more weight to me.

Chris Hassel works in the media, but has little current connection to Hawkeye sports. I value his opinion as much as I value the opinion of many members of this board

Many people value the opinion of beat writers/reporters because following a specific topic is their JOB, not just a hobby like Hawkeye sports are for many members of this board. I would expect that Tom and Blair have a much better grasp of what’s going on within Hawkeye sports than I do, being people who talk with those closely connected to the program, so if they share an opinion, it carries more weight to me.

Chris Hassel works in the media, but has little current connection to Hawkeye sports. I value his opinion as much as I value the opinion of many members of this board
Outside of the answers given by players pre or post game I don't need to know their thoughts on something I watched with my own eyes.

Reactions: DewHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT