ADVERTISEMENT

Future Big 10 Tournament venues

modini

HR All-State
Oct 30, 2002
Can anyone provide a link to future Big 10 Wrestling Tournaments? I've looked online and am unable to find anything. Thank you in advance

Reactions: honkey69
they go/used to go alphabetically...so should be Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska next...

I tried to do the same thing a couple of years ago. I couldn't find any info on future sites, but I remembered looking up past B1G tourney results. When I found there was a pattern, I saved it as a "note" in my phone.

If the rotation continues, it would be at Minnesota next year. However, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland would probably be worked into the rotation at some point....so who knows?

2018 - Michigan State
2017 - Indiana
2016 - Iowa
2015 - Ohio State
2014 - Wisconsin
2013 - Illinois
2012 - Purdue
2011 - Northwestern
2010 - Michigan
2009 - PSU
2008 - Minnesota
2007 - Michigan State
2006 - Indiana
2005 - Iowa
2004 - Ohio State
2003 - Wisconsin
2002 - Illinois

I could have sworn that Minny was next year and St. Louis was the year after. Of course I rarely ever swear, but you know what I mean.

BIGs are currently scheduled for Minnesota in 2019 and
PSU in 2020 unless the BIG rotates Nebraska in for the first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxb
I tried to do the same thing a couple of years ago. I couldn't find any info on future sites, but I remembered looking up past B1G tourney results. When I found there was a pattern, I saved it as a "note" in my phone.

If the rotation continues, it would be at Minnesota next year. However, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland would probably be worked into the rotation at some point....so who knows?

2018 - Michigan State
2017 - Indiana
2016 - Iowa
2015 - Ohio State
2014 - Wisconsin
2013 - Illinois
2012 - Purdue
2011 - Northwestern
2010 - Michigan
2009 - PSU
2008 - Minnesota
2007 - Michigan State
2006 - Indiana
2005 - Iowa
2004 - Ohio State
2003 - Wisconsin
2002 - Illinois
Minnesota next year would work for us. Wild horses couldn't keep me away from Pittsburgh for Nationals, either. Should have a good western PA Iowa fan contingent (led by 1414, but also including family and friends of our Young Guns boys), in addition to the usual strong Iowa showing. How about we take over the place? Would be the perfect venue for the Hawks to take back the title.

Minnesota next year would work for us. Wild horses couldn't keep me away from Pittsburgh for Nationals, either. Should have a good western PA Iowa fan contingent (led by 1414, but also including family and friends of our Young Guns boys), in addition to the usual strong Iowa showing. How about we take over the place? Would be the perfect venue for the Hawks to take back the title.

I agree, PSU fans may make it difficult though. Pittsburgh is marked as my return for attendance at Nationals. Unless of course I win the HWC drawing this year. Looking forward to going again.

There seems to be some confusion for some on this thread, so let me clarify;

For starters, the question was B1G tournament rotation, not NCAA. It has never been alphabetical since I started going in the '80s. The rotation Iowa Fan showed has been the current one since PSU was added. I believe it went one full rotation before they were added, which means Nebraska should be added soon (I'm too lazy to look up when they joined, but it's been a while now). We are a ways off from Maryland and Rutgers being added, unless they change policies. It should be Minnesota next year, and then PSU unless Nebraska comes in. I hope they don't add Rutgers and Maryland back-to-back when they add them, and I hope they're not close to PSU in the rotation (shouldn't be) because that would make too many of the longer trips close together, making it expensive and difficult for me to get that much time off work in consecutive years.

As for the NCAA rotation, it's;

2019 Pittsburgh
2020 Minneapolis
2021 St. Louis
2022 Detroit

Last edited:

For starters, the question was B1G tournament rotation, not NCAA. It has never been alphabetical since I started going in the '80s. The rotation Iowa Fan showed has been the current one since PSU was added. I believe it went one full rotation before they were added, which means Nebraska should be added soon (I'm too lazy to look up when they joined, but it's been a while now). We are a ways off from Maryland and Rutgers being added, unless they change policies. It should be Minnesota next year, and then PSU unless Nebraska comes in. I hope they don't add Rutgers and Maryland back-to-back when they add them, and I hope they're not close to PSU in the rotation (shouldn't be) because that would make too many of the longer trips close together, making it expensive and difficult for me to get that much time off work in consecutive years.

2019 Pittsburgh
2020 Minneapolis
2021 St. Louis
2022 Detroit

If they require Nebraska to wait the full rotation then they would host in 2023 as they joined the conference in 2012! So the next few years would be:

2019 - Minnesota
2020 - Penn State
2021 - Michigan
2022 - Northwestern
2023 - Nebraska

Reactions: TNTwrestle

2019 Pittsburgh
2020 Minneapolis
2021 St. Louis
2022 Detroit
We thought Detroit last time was an unmitigated disaster. Hopefully the plan is much different this time around.

Reactions: jvclark
If they require Nebraska to wait the full rotation then they would host in 2023 as they joined the conference in 2012! So the next few years would be:

2019 - Minnesota
2020 - Penn State
2021 - Michigan
2022 - Northwestern
2023 - Nebraska

Thanks for doing my homework for me.

We thought Detroit last time was an unmitigated disaster. Hopefully the plan is much different this time around.

I think it will be much worse, downtown Detroit, ugh! Maybe more bars, that's about it. I didn't have that big a problem with Auburn Hills, myself. As a teetotaller, I wasn't one of the 12,000 people who tried to walk across the street to the two bars.My mom can't walk more than a few blocks very well anymore, so we got in the car and drove 5 or 10 minutes and found some great places to eat. Free parking made that more affordable, and all the people walking made traffic in and out bearable. My brother-in-law decided last minute to go, and got a lower-level , row 12 seat for all sessions for $90, although there was an empty seat by us he used most of the time. It wasn't my favorite NCAA, but it wasn't the worst.

I think it will be much worse, downtown Detroit, ugh! Maybe more bars, that's about it. I didn't have that big a problem with Auburn Hills, myself. As a teetotaller, I wasn't one of the 12,000 people who tried to walk across the street to the two bars.My mom can't walk more than a few blocks very well anymore, so we got in the car and drove 5 or 10 minutes and found some great places to eat. Free parking made that more affordable, and all the people walking made traffic in and out bearable. My brother-in-law decided last minute to go, and got a lower-level , row 12 seat for all sessions for $90, although there was an empty seat by us he used most of the time. It wasn't my favorite NCAA, but it wasn't the worst.

I don't mind Detroit, I'll hit Lake St. Clair for spring smallmouth and watch some wrestling.

I’m glad it was OK for you. We couldn’t find a decent place to eat, and every place we went was totally unprepared. It was as if they had no idea there was a national wrestling tournament in town. And the lack of any real available places within walking distance was a drag, too.

I’m glad it was OK for you. We couldn’t find a decent place to eat, and every place we went was totally unprepared. It was as if they had no idea there was a national wrestling tournament in town. And the lack of any real available places within walking distance was a drag, too.

The worst ones for us were Kansas City and Albany. Albany was a great trip, spent the week and got to do the Lake Placid bobsled run, ski Whiteface and Killington. But Albany (the town and arena situation) sucked. Motel messedd up our reservations, which caused us to miss a day trip to Cooperstown. Then they put us up in a newer motel, 45 miles away in Saratoga. Then the parking across the river and riding (and waiting for) a bus. But the kicker was all of downtown Albany being closed Saturday with 18,000 hungry fans stuck there. Kansas City was just out in the middle of nowhere (kind of like Auburn Hills without the free parking and good traffic options). Philly would have sucked if we hadn't bought Transit passes.

Last edited:

Liked your reply. But just out of curiosity, if it wasnt the worst(and right up there for me), what was??

They need to give KC another try with the new Power and Light District. Kemper Arena was a dump and has nothing around it really.
I thought Philly sucked as there wasn't much around the arena either.

They need to give KC another try with the new Power and Light District. Kemper Arena was a dump and has nothing around it really.
Concur...lived in KC for years and visit often. The city is perfect for tournaments!!

I could not make the Ncaa’s This year. I’m also planning on going to Pittsburgh I really would like to meet up with some of you guys next year. We went to NYC and had great time I was wondering what everyone thought of it being in MSG. Obviously a unique experience wonder if they would do it again.

Last edited:
Liked your reply. But just out of curiosity, if it wasnt the worst(and right up there for me), what was??

See my post above on Albany/Kansas City. Would have to rate North Carolina right up there too for the Thurs/Fri parking and access to arena those days. After first day we dropped my mom and brother-in-off outside the door and my son and I hiked back. Some crazy stories about that one, but too long to share.

Kind of like Madison Square Garden for hoops?!?
Rutgers is about 40 miles from Madison Square Garden, so I guess it's your definition of what the "footprint" is. It's not centralized, I'll give you that.

I think before the hoops even started, they've already determined it was a horrible idea that won't be repeated. Could be wrong, but that's what I've seen to this point.

Rutgers is about 40 miles from Madison Square Garden, so I guess it's your definition of what the "footprint" is. It's not centralized, I'll give you that.

I think before the hoops even started, they've already determined it was a horrible idea that won't be repeated. Could be wrong, but that's what I've seen to this point.

Having to move the tournament and thus the conference season up a week is the biggest regret--so far. I think it is good the conference is willing to give ideas like this a try.

Philadelphia built a massive entertainment/restaurant complex right next to the stadiums since NCAAs there. Totally different situation now

Having to move the tournament and thus the conference season up a week is the biggest regret--so far. I think it is good the conference is willing to give ideas like this a try.
Delany has done many good things as BIG Commisioner this was not one of them.

2019 - Minnesota
2020 - Penn State
2021 - Michigan
2022 - Northwestern
2023 - Nebraska
I was looking for future year locations and couldn't find anything official, but I came across this thread from 2018. Rutgers bumped Penn State one year from this prediction and then Nebraska. Does this mean Michigan will be the site in 2023 followed by Northwestern in 2024?

I was looking for future year locations and couldn't find anything official, but I came across this thread from 2018. Rutgers bumped Penn State one year from this prediction and then Nebraska. Does this mean Michigan will be the site in 2023 followed by Northwestern in 2024?
2023 Big Ten Wrestling Championships are scheduled for University of Michigan and 2024 at Maryland from what I’ve been told! Go Hawks!

2023 Big Ten Wrestling Championships are scheduled for University of Michigan and 2024 at Maryland from what I’ve been told! Go Hawks!
Hoping this holds true (Maryland in 2024). I searched again for any info on future B1G sites and it surprises me there’s nothing I could find on this topic.

Reactions: hawks150
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT