ADVERTISEMENT

Future Hawks competing at US Open

Jace Rhodes, Joel Jesuroga, Ben Keuter, Kolby Franklin, Aiden Riggens, Easton Fleshman are all registered for the U20 division and Gabe Arnold is registered for the U17. It starts tomorrow. And yes apparently Arnold is only 16 friggin years old!! Must be some strong genetics in that family. Good luck baby Hawks!
Full disclosure: Gabe recently turned 17.

Full disclosure: Gabe recently turned 17.
giphy.gif

He’s not a future Hawkeye but my nephew Payton Jacobson is competing in the U20s Greco Roman tournament today and in the Seniors on Saturday and Sunday. He’s a 3 seed for the Senior tournament.

He wrestles for Sunkist Kids, is a freshman at NMU in Marquette and is a big Hawkeye fan; loves Iowa wrestling.

He’s not a future Hawkeye but my nephew Payton Jacobson is competing in the U20s Greco Roman tournament today and in the Seniors on Saturday and Sunday. He’s a 3 seed for the Senior tournament.

He wrestles for Sunkist Kids, is a freshman at NMU in Marquette and is a big Hawkeye fan; loves Iowa wrestling.

Aurora, are you in the UP as well then or did your nephew just happen to come up this way for school?

I'm in Des Moines area. My brother moved to southern Wisconsin. Payton chose NMU because of the connection with Olympic Training Center.

High expectations for today were crushed with first match upset. Was up 4-0 but made a crucial mistake and lost 12-8. Was down 9-8 late and took a shot but got caught and opponent (Hamblin) scored 3 points with less than 10 seconds left. Hamblin has cruised to the championship match. Closest bout was 10-2.

My nephew has won the next 4 and is wrestling for 3rd place at 6 pm CDT. Seems like it was tough luck for him to face Hamblin right out of the blocks. However, he's qualified for the Ohio challenge tournament in late June and can still make the world team.

Also has Seniors this weekend.

EDIT: Won 3rd place match in 26 seconds. Guy who beat him (Hamblin) finished 2nd. How random that the 2nd and 3rd place finishers had to wrestle each other in their first match?

Last edited:
How the hell is this not the hot topic right now? Rathjen dominated 1st match..same with Kolby Covington...Kueter hasn't gone yet

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Haines beats Riggins again! Not even close! Where is the ass that call me names the last time Haines beat Riggins and I said it wasn't close.

Haines beats Riggins again! Not even close! Where is the ass that call me names the last time Haines beat Riggins and I said it wasn't close.
I really like Riggens and his ability to get to the legs. Haines is very tough but I’m not sure it’s a gap that can’t be closed once Riggens gets into the room. Didn’t Clark get waxed by Guilibon in high school?

Reactions: andegre
I really like Riggens and his ability to get to the legs. Haines is very tough but I’m not sure it’s a gap that can’t be closed once Riggens gets into the room. Didn’t Clark get waxed by Guilibon in high school?
Riggins can get to legs but has trouble finishing vs quality people and Haines is just plain better as he should be as a top 10 overall vs a 30 something.

Schriever up now vs DeShazer.

DeShazer up 3-0 at the break. Push out and short time td.

Trade tds in 2nd, DeShazer wins 5-2. Schriever will wrestle for 7th.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 so far
Franklin vs Nagel up now.

Well, that was quick. Franklin scores 8 with the front headlock, then an immediate td off the restart for the tf. Don't know my terminology, is that called a gatorbacon?

Watched a bit of the stream on Flo. Franklin has looked pretty good, even in his loss he competed well. Keuter has outclassed his opponents and simply dominated inferior competitors. Rathjen hasn’t looked good at all. I believe he went 1-2. Riggens was also a bit disappointing. Haven’t seen Arnold yet. I noticed a couple guys he beat at Who’s number 1 are competing well in the U20 division.

Franklin up again. Taking on Cosgrove.

Franklin on the clock. Gives up one, but didnt rush the td attempt to beat the clock and secures a td. Up 2-1 at the break.

Cosgrove now on the clock. Unable to score, Franklin up 3-1, 130 left.

Franklin with a td, 5-1 35sec to go

Franklin wins 5-1, will wrestle for 3rd.

Last edited:
Jesuroga vs Gutenberger starting

Penalty point against Jesuroga(not sure for what). Td for Jesuroga.

2-1 at the break.

Early td for Jesuroga in 2nd.

Go behind, up 6-1 with 30sec to go

Td, gut, gut for Jesuroga. Gets the tf with 18sec left on the clock.

Really, really like that he went for the kill, and not just play defense at the end.

Last edited:

He is currently 1-4 against him so it's not a one off type of thing. I don't know if they would be at the same weight. Haines looks small for 74KG. Surprisingly, got dominated in an earlier match. Good wrestler tho.

Good day so far today. Payton (3 seed) wins first 2 matches ((10-0) and (11-3)). Wrestling in semi-finals at 6 pm. Bracket went chalk. 1,2,3 and 4 seeds advanced.

Franklin up again. Taking on Cosgrove.

Franklin on the clock. Gives up one, but didnt rush the td attempt to beat the clock and secures a td. Up 2-1 at the break.

Cosgrove now on the clock. Unable to score, Franklin up 3-1, 130 left.

Franklin with a td, 5-1 35sec to go

Franklin wins 5-1, will wrestle for 3rd.
Worth noting that Cosgrove is a Penn commit and currently ranked #3 at 220lbs. Good win by Kolby. 2 TDs to 0.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT