ADVERTISEMENT

Future Hawks competing at US Open

I was actually pretty impressed with Howard’s grit on the consolation side. 9 matches in a tournament is insane. I imagine his body was pretty beat up by the end.
I’m not going to lie and say the kid isn’t good, he is. I’m pretty sure I went on record that I was impressed with him as a true freshman. He moves well and fights for everything but he lost to a high schooler. I’m going to make fun of that like psu did to Assad. They’ve earned that.

Tough to have it both ways. Don't go for more points when you don't need them, but then also, don't play it safe. I'd rather them take some risks now and learn their gaps so that when it matters for their college career they have more confidence and mat sense. $.02

It wasn't just a bad gameplan, it was weird. He pushed him to the boundary multiple times, but didn't really try to get the pushout. If you're going to full Iran - go full Iran. He probably could have teched him in pushouts alone.

For what it’s worth and don’t know specifics but N. Jesuroga reportedly had surgery the day after he got back from Vegas.
Thanks for the information. On a related note Ryder Block had a wrapped up leg at state freestyle yesterday. Looked like maybe a knee. He won a couple matches and then forfeited in the finals. Seems like the plan was qualify and get out.

Reactions: el dub
Mitchell Mesenbrink (WI) in the U20 70kg bracket had a very impressive tournament. Looks like he committed to Cal Baptist back in November when they had a head wrestling coach. They no longer have a head wrestling coach. 70kg = 154 lbs. Iowa needs a 157. 🤔

mesenbrink is in the transfer portal. i would imagine he’s going to mizzou but hard telling.

I would not mind having him but I disagree in moving PK up to 74
Why? There have been discussions about him bumping up to that weight in the future. I’m not wild about pk’s length at 174 but I would take MM in a heartbeat.

It does suck that he’s transferring. I like smaller schools having skilled wrestlers. I guess with NIL he can make more money at blue blood type school.

Last edited:
Why? There have been discussions about him bumping up to that weight in the future. I’m not wild about pk’s length at 174 but I would take MM in a heartbeat.

It does suck that he’s transferring. I like smaller schools have skilled wrestlers. I guess with NIL he can make more money at blue blood type school.
this. i think mesenbrink has title contender ceiling. i'm not sure about kennedy. so i'd rather have a title contender at 165 and a mid aa at 174 instead of a mid aa at 165 and nothing at 174.

plus maybe mesenbrink ends up growing into 174. he was expected at 157 and is pretty lean so maybe he's still growing.

I believe PK is our career 65LBer and will be at his best there. I am curious why you think Mesenbrink has a higher ceiling at 65 then PK does. Like I said if we can get him I would bring him in, then let the wrestling decide.

I believe PK is our career 65LBer and will be at his best there. I am curious why you think Mesenbrink has a higher ceiling at 65 then PK does. Like I said if we can get him I would bring him in, then let the wrestling decide.
That's a decidedly Penn Statish approach, wouldn't you say?
giphy.gif

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT