ADVERTISEMENT

Future Hawks competing at US Open

Mitchell Mesenbrink (WI) in the U20 70kg bracket had a very impressive tournament. Looks like he committed to Cal Baptist back in November when they had a head wrestling coach. They no longer have a head wrestling coach. 70kg = 154 lbs. Iowa needs a 157. 🤔

Mitchell Mesenbrink (WI) in the U20 70kg bracket had a very impressive tournament. Looks like he committed to Cal Baptist back in November when they had a head wrestling coach. They no longer have a head wrestling coach. 70kg = 154 lbs. Iowa needs a 157. 🤔
If he's good at Folkstyle, sure, sign him up.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
Interesting B10 results on the consolation side. PSUs Robby Howard lost in the first round to the eventual champ Spratley (Flo #1 at 126, Minnie commit). Howard won 8 matches in a row on the backside to finish 3rd.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunkej01
Interesting B10 results on the consolation side. PSUs Robby Howard lost in the first round to the eventual champ Spratley (Flo #1 at 126, Minnie commit). Howard won 8 matches in a row on the backside to finish 3rd.
For one Spratley is pretty good. He took out Ybarra last summer in this event and also I'm guessing Howard might have been a bit rusty out of the gate. I am encouraged Jesuroga only lost by 1 to Spratley at elite 8 and it was in a match he bumped up from 120.

For one Spratley is pretty good. He took out Ybarra last summer in this event and also I'm guessing Howard might have been a bit rusty out of the gate. I am encouraged Jesuroga only lost by 1 to Spratley at elite 8 and it was in a match he bumped up from 120.
And I believe Jesuroga was leading 4-1 midway through the last period.

Reactions: Jrjt0518 and el dub

Kind of odd that Spratley and Howard met first rd.

Reactions: el dub
Gabe Arnold forfeited his first match of today and is finished for the tournament.

Good day so far today. Payton (3 seed) wins first 2 matches ((10-0) and (11-3)). Wrestling in semi-finals at 6 pm. Bracket went chalk. 1,2,3 and 4 seeds advanced.
Lost in Semi-final (5-2) after leading 2-1 with about 1:00 left.
Just won the consolation match and will compete for 3rd place tonight.

Reactions: 24 so far
i don’t think Iowa has ever gotten an askren kid. he would be a great start.

Reactions: johnyt9
Possible tf for Jesuroga at the break. Last td being challenged..

Challenge goes to Forrest. 8-2 at break.

Jesuroga in on a shot. Forrest looking for exposure. No points. 45 sec to go.

td for Jesuroga 10-2 25 sec to go.

Jesuroga with the tf.

Takes round 1.

Last edited:
Lost in Semi-final (5-2) after leading 2-1 with about 1:00 left.
Just won the consolation match and will compete for 3rd place tonight.
Another 3rd place.
5-1 in Juniors. (Lost to the second place finisher)
4-1 in Seniors. (Lost to the overall champion; although the #1 seed withdrew)
Very, very close to being on top. Ohio will be fun to watch.

Does anyone know if a wrestler can complete in US World Team Trials for both Juniors and Seniors? He's qualified for the Senior trials in Coralville at the end of the month and Juniors in Ohio in the beginning of June. I texted that question to my brother but he hasn't answered yet.

Last edited:
Not enough credit is given for how much Lugo improved after transferring to Iowa. Disappointing he never got his last shot at a national title, he was right there to win it. Was nice to see maple come out of retirement as well. For a d1 coach to go and win the us open after a hiatus sure is impressive. Feldman is going to be a menace for years to come. That boy has some serious horse power and technique. I really do predict him to be the next Snyder type for tosu. Random thoughts from this year's us open for whatever they're worth.

Jesuroga vs Forrest round 2 now.

td and exposure for Jesuroga. 4-0. td Forrest. 4-2, 39 sec left in 1st.

No more scoring. 4-2 Jesuroga at break.

pushout Forrest. scrambling now, points going up quick. 7-6 Forrest after the scramble. 45 seconds to go.

Forrest racking up exposure points now, 11-6. TD and gut for Jesuroga at the buzzer, but not enough. Forrest wins 11-10.

Going to match 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarpHawk
Jesuroga getting to the legs frequently, but Forrest is dangerous there. Kid is good, only an eighth grader.

• Wow
Reactions: BDinIC
Jesuroga vs Forrest match 3 up now:

Jesuroga scores 1st on a push out.

And another push out for Jesuroga. 2-0 at the break. Jesuroga being much more cautious on his feet this time.

Jesuroga on the clock. Doesn't score so point to Forrest. 2-1 Jesuroga with 50 sec to go.

Push out forrest. 2-2 criteria Forrest 20 sec to go.

Jesuroga in on a single. Trying to get it with short time to go. Forrest is given two points. Jesuroga corner challenges.

Challenge results in 2 for Jesuroga, but also 2 for Forrest. 4-4 final, Forrest wins on criteria.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: parchy
Jesuroga held back in that 3rd match. Cost him. Good tournament overall

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
Assad loses to a high schooler coming off an injury and penn state fans go rabid. Howard just lost in a style he used to dominate, with a field he should’ve dominated…don’t ruin the fun. Spratley is good but he’s a high schooler. Howard has regressed. Haha.

Assad loses to a high schooler coming off an injury and penn state fans go rabid. Howard just lost in a style he used to dominate, with a field he should’ve dominated…don’t ruin the fun. Spratley is good but he’s a high schooler. Howard has regressed. Haha.
I was actually pretty impressed with Howard’s grit on the consolation side. 9 matches in a tournament is insane. I imagine his body was pretty beat up by the end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT