ADVERTISEMENT

Gabble Steveson to Iowa?

He also visited the Bills after winning the Olympics, as the Bills head coach is a former wrestler and brought in Gable for a motivational talk in mini camp. Nothing to see here.

The amount of negative PR on this board is disgusting. You got Morans calling the facility a “concrete bunker” and a “sex dungeon”, while complaining about “natural light”.

Regardless of the new hire, OKState has been so irrelevant for so long to just arbitrarily say a top recruit would choose them way ahead of anyone but PSU is asinine.

Hell, I am still MSU first and I am starting to think I am more of a fan of Iowa wrestling than many on here and am truly starting to wonder if some of the biggest complainers on here ever truly were Iowa fans…
You’re a fan of the status quo, imo, and do not want to wake up the sleeping giant. (Iowa)

He also visited the Bills after winning the Olympics, as the Bills head coach is a former wrestler and brought in Gable for a motivational talk in mini camp. Nothing to see here.
I personally don’t think he or 99.9999% of other people can make an nfl team but the visit wasn’t exactly a motivational speech type deal.

This is all so depressing. College sports have become a rich man’s game. Buy and build your own perfect team. It’s just not the same for me going forward.😟
While this is true, every school has rich alumni. Now a small school CAN compete whereas they never could before when limited to athletic budgets.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawk224 and vhsalum
Gable to the Bills is a diabolical plan to keep him away from Iowa. The Buffalo Bills are owned by Terry and Kim Pejula, one of PSU's wealthiest boosters. They donated almost $120M to get varsity Ice Hockey at Penn State and I'm happy to see them getting involved with the wrestling program. :);)

I personally don’t think he or 99.9999% of other people can make an nfl team but the visit wasn’t exactly a motivational speech type deal.

Brock Lesner tried for the Vikings - prob is these guys are experts at moving guys around amazing athletes but there is more to being an nfl player than just that. Skipping the in between ncaa developement leaves a skills gap.

Regardless of the new hire, OKState has been so irrelevant for so long to just arbitrarily say a top recruit would choose them way ahead of anyone but PSU is asinine.
i don't think that's what AF said. he said 'if it were me'.

and OKST landed 11 Top 10's in the last decade and 19 Top 30's. Iowa had 8 and 14.

i remember rolling my eyes when Oregon football got new facilities and a dozen different helmets and kids choose to go there with really not much proven out there.

but the i think the same will happen with David at OK State.

that 11::8 and 19::14 split, i don't imagine, will get better fo Iowa in the near future.

i don't think that's what AF said. he said 'if it were me'.

and OKST landed 11 Top 10's in the last decade and 19 Top 30's. Iowa had 8 and 14.

i remember rolling my eyes when Oregon football got new facilities and a dozen different helmets and kids choose to go there with really not much proven out there.

but the i think the same will happen with David at OK State.

that 11::8 and 19::14 split, i don't imagine, will get better fo Iowa in the near future.
The key part I was arguing against was “should” vs. “would”. I did say that I have no doubt that he will start off very hot in recruiting. The name alone will undoubtedly be a huge draw.

What I was saying is that recruits shouldn’t just chase the name and should do their own due diligence and actually take advantage of the system. If you take your visits seriously and truly see what is actually out there, a ton of other schools can truly be the best fit. To automatically put him that high, with zero experience is both lazy and uninformed.

Reactions: smalls103
The key part I was arguing against was “should” vs. “would”. I did say that I have no doubt that he will start off very hot in recruiting. The name alone will undoubtedly be a huge draw.

What I was saying is that recruits shouldn’t just chase the name and should do their own due diligence and actually take advantage of the system. If you take your visits seriously and truly see what is actually out there, a ton of other schools can truly be the best fit. To automatically put him that high, with zero experience is both lazy and uninformed.
I wouldn't say that they are chasing a name. I think they see his progression from when he was their age and they believe he can take them to similar heights. His name and reputation will allow him to open more doors than not. Same with Cael or any other high profile name in any sport. If DT doesn't perform in 2-3 years, then fewer doors open but for now, he gets to make his pitch to most anyone. His accolades have earned him that.

Nehemiah was a shoe-in for gold in 1980 Games, but we know how that turned out. Got his ring with the 49ers in 1984. And Willie Gault probably would have won relay gold in 1980 as well, and of course got his ring with Da Bears in 1985.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT