ADVERTISEMENT

Gable vs the room

PrairieHawk24

HR MVP
Aug 19, 2008
Cedar Rapids
On FRL the last couple of episodes they mention a quote from Jason Nolf basically saying that Cael is still the best in the room today. I find that hard to believe because he DID make a comeback and got 5th in 2011. Varner and Snyder are in that room and have won Gold since.

I’ve heard stories that Gable could beat everyone in his room for years after, regardless of weight.
For reference Gable competed at 149.6# vs 184.8# for Cael.

Does anyone have any stories on this subject?

On FRL the last couple of episodes they mention a quote from Jason Nolf basically saying that Cael is still the best in the room today. I find that hard to believe because he DID make a comeback and got 5th in 2011. Varner and Snyder are in that room and have won Gold since.

I’ve heard stories that Gable could beat everyone in his room for years after, regardless of weight.
For reference Gable competed at 149.6# vs 184.8# for Cael.

Does anyone have any stories on this subject?
Nope.

I always like the story regarding how Randy Lewis came back from the Olympics after winning gold, claiming he was good enough to beat Gable now. They decided they were going to wrestle an exhibition. Gable proceeded to warm up for 30 minutes, doing sprints, drilling, some weights until he had a good sweat going. Lewis stretches a few times and they were good to go.

Lewis got a takedown pretty quick. Gable got away and proceeded to work him over for 45 minutes. Says he would take him down, work on one shoulder putting some much pressure and torque on it that when Gable let him up he couldn’t move his arm. Took him down again and did the same thing to the other arm. After he couldn’t really move either arm Gable just continued to beat on him.

Lewis says the final score was probably in the 40-50s to 2.

1980s was up in the room with my coach and another wrestler and watched Gable throw Lou Banach around like a rag doll. It wasnt even close, felt sorry for Lou that day.
Theres the belief guys weren't as good as today's wrestling but I can tell you he could take you down at will and his grip and strength were unmatched.
All I can add is about 12-15 years ago(?) Gable easily bested my friend who was 5 years past wrestling in HS, to the point where my friend needed to lay on a table for about 15 minutes before he could even think about sitting up! Still laugh my ass off hearing that story. Still way cooler than anything I’ve ever accomplished.

Edit to add: I’m pretty sure they were only drilling

I have a great story. A certain Hwt wrestler spoke to me at the Nationals about Gable. He stated that “ I THINK I could beat Gable now”. At that time Gable was over 40 with bad knee/hip. This is after that wrestler was an Olympic champion.

Last edited:
In 1985-1986 Gable would be 36-37 years old. In 1975-1976 when he lost to Kemp at 158# he would have been 26-27 years old. I'm sure that many of the stories are true but many have grown through the years. He didn't beat a 158# sophomore from Wisconsin in 1976 o_O

In 1985-1986 Gable would be 36-37 years old. In 1975-1976 when he lost to Kemp at 158# he would have been 26-27 years old. I'm sure that many of the stories are true but many have grown through the years. He didn't beat a 158# sophomore from Wisconsin in 1976 o_O
Kemp is 3x world champ and was a favorite for the Olympic Gold in 1980 when the USA boycotted. It’s not like he was Lee Fullhart (no offense to Fullhart).

Hawk 24, I know how good Kemp was/is. He didn't win his first world title till 3 years after beating Gable, at the ripe old age of 21! went on to win two more and became Americas first 3 time world champ!

There is a difference between what a guy does in the room and what he does in competition. Guys like Gable and probably Sanderson would pound you in the room in a 20 - 50 minute match. Sometimes in a 6 minute match a younger guy can get lucky. AKA Kemp beating Gable and Sanderson getting 5th. I believe those guys when they say Gable was the best in the room and the same for Sanderson. Gable is a legend and he is a legend when we did not have many legends to look up to.

Reactions: Thommystud
thom67, you edited your post, you originally said 1985-1986 and Gable would have been 40 plus. Good recovery!

Last edited:
Uncle Jim, I believe Gable would have been 37 or 38 in 1985/86, not 40 plus, but I understand your point!

I attended the 28 day intensive camp in early 80s before J Robinson moved to Minnesota. Ed Banach was talking to us once and he told us the person in the room he could not beat was Gable. I believe he said it was 60-40 Gable. I will never forget that as I could not believe that Banach could not beat Gable.

Reactions: depelland
At last year's HWC annual dinner a former Hawkeye NCAA champ was discussing his initial visit to IA City.

Ed, Lou and Gable were drilling 30 second go's, except Gable didn't rotate out. Ed got very upset and said f*** you Gable you suck and stormed off because he was getting pounded.

Bottom line is for years he could handle every guy in the room.

Present at the beginning. Gable wrestled Olympic tryouts in Iowa City late spring/summer '72. Competition avoided that weight class (68 kg/149.5 lbs.). Gable wrestled very little at tryouts, bouts were over very quickly. I remember Gable dressed in several layers of sweats, constantly working out along the periphery of the old fieldhouse. He got virtually no workout actually wrestling opponents. Watch '72 Olympics on T.V., a great, great team. Gable returns to Iowa City as assistant coach under Kurdelmier. I was frequently in wrestling room watching workouts. One seat in the house, on the steps as you walked down into room. Gable went through anybody who wanted to roll with him, generally upper weights. Guys in the room were all young, not ready for Gable (Smith, Yagla, Holm, Wagaman, Campbell, Bolwsby). Campbell athletic as hell, cat quick and twenty pounds bigger than Gable. Gable was relentless and exhausted everybody. Many great wrestlers found their way to Iowa City. Both Ben Peterson and John Peterson were there. As was Wade Schalles. Ben was Gable's teammate and could go with anyone (Olympic gold, fourty pounds bigger than Gable). Schalles an absolute bitch, if he was 21 years today, he would go with anyone. Jay Robinson in the room but seldom wrestled; knees and hips. But (!!) he was a fabulous coach/teacher/technician/clinician. There was no end to his knowledge, very articulate.

Last edited:
Fullhart was no Kemp, but he had enough to spank Cael twice in freestyle. :)
I recently watched match 3 of the trials. I think they said it was 7-4 Cael going into that one so more than twice. They could have been wrong too.

Have you see that match? It looked like it was wrestled on something the size of a table cloth.

Here’s an article about the Kemp-Gable match. Some interesting quotes from Kemp at the end about how some time after the match Gable and Kemp were together at a practice and Gable made sure to wrestle Kemp (Gable never said so but Kemp assumes he was trying to assure himself that he could win a rematch and Kemp doesn’t dispute that Gable would win). Also some comments from Kemp about how Gable would have likely won gold in 1976 if he had wanted as Kemp knew Gable was better than the guys that medaled that year.

https://www.leekemp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Inside_wis_sports_article1.pdf

Gable maybe ran a little bit but mostly stayed in the middle. I'm kidding. No track meet there. Iowa State was blessed to have a couple of the best. I can't get over Kemp was 18 ( I know he was almost 19, wasn't)and didn't start wrestling till 9th grade. High school coaches deserve some big credit. Gable was Kemp's idol, he would never say he was better than Gable!

It would be epic if we just got too see awesome exhibition matches. Kudos too Ben Askren for having the balls too wrestle Jordan Burroughs.
Wrestling needs more matches just for fun.

There is a difference between what a guy does in the room and what he does in competition. Guys like Gable and probably Sanderson would pound you in the room in a 20 - 50 minute match. Sometimes in a 6 minute match a younger guy can get lucky. AKA Kemp beating Gable and Sanderson getting 5th. I believe those guys when they say Gable was the best in the room and the same for Sanderson. Gable is a legend and he is a legend when we did not have many legends to look up to.
Exactly this. I have no doubt that Gable was the best in the room then and that Cael is now.

I watched Gable crush the Peterson brothers before the 72 Olympics while working out in Waterloo at Cordes garage all summer. I do mean crush too. I thought these guys look really good and are much bigger than Gable but they must not be as good as they look. Then a month later they are silver and gold medalist at 180.5 and 198 lbs. Insane.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT