ADVERTISEMENT

Brands Out Askrens in .... the most obvious move in wrestling.

I just simply have never been a fan of the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality. This is especially true when your grass already is WAY greener than everyone but 1 other house in the entire country.

To keep the green grass anaolgy, to realistically consider making a change, I would want the proven creators of Natural Way, True Green and Chem Lawn to ALL come to an intensive 3 phase interview. I would want them to lay out to me how and why they would not only do better than(Iowa underr Brands) but be able to surpass someone(PSU under Sanderson) that has revolutionized the market. We are talking about a guy that found the way to organically create his lawn by hand, while damn near taking over the entire inventory necessary to make the grass that green.

The problem is, I don't see anyone at that level to even come interview. The simple truth is, you are just as likely, probably more so, to fall further behind with a new hire, than to magically catch a team that has revolutionized the sport is so many different ways...
they, or somebody would do better because they would actually recruit top tier athletes and then actually help them develop individually and not in a one size fits all mentality.

Here's your first post in gif form. Congrats!
I don't know what is funnier.
- The obese woman falling down multiple times with a smile on her face.
- The engagement scene couple completely oblivious/unconcerned about the falling woman.

Ther person who took this video surely had video smoothing. There's no way they're not losing it while they watch this unfold.

Last edited:
they, or somebody would do better because they would actually recruit top tier athletes and then actually help them develop individually and not in a one size fits all mentality.

Based on the fact that they have NEVER done EITHER before at the DI level EVER? Or more just because you don’t like Brands? I am heavily leaning towards the latter…

Reactions: T8KUDWN
😯

Here's an idea: save all the money for recruits and throw it at the Askrens who will develop the young men.

Somebody back up the truck and bring the Prodigal Son home.

I remember another guy from Iowa who didn't wrestle in the black and gold but came to coach here and it turned out allllllll right.

Ben (AT IOWA) vs Cael is the best way to restore competitive balance to the sport!

The greatest brand in wrestling (dear PSU...Carver blast doubles your middle shool arena and always will) should be in better hands.

And it's not that Hawk fans are entitled or arrogant it's that a standard was set a long time ago and when you stop fighting to maintain that you lose your damn manhood.

HOOORAH.
I say stupid reactive shit against Brands then he always proves me wrong. I never learn.

Reactions: el dub
Based on the fact that they have NEVER done EITHER before at the DI level EVER? Or more just because you don’t like Brands? I am heavily leaning towards the latter…
if you want to go back and read my post you would see that I left it open and did not specifically designate anyone. so you automatically assume this is because I don’t like tom……two things, first you don’t know how I feel about tom snd second it.’s really all about the program; being able to recruit and develop to athletes……
so try sgain.

What came first the chicken or the egg?
The question can't be answered as asked. Do you mean a chicken egg (if so, chicken came first). If you mean red junglefowl egg (which chickens evolved from), then egg came first.

The more important question is what came first, the Cesspool or a chicken confinement.

Reactions: el dub
While I doubt it ever happens (for several reasons) and I still support TnT, I do think Askren would bring value to the team in some sort of recruiting, talent assessment, or training role.

Reactions: texas twister
On the topic of Askrens, I think it would be a very wise decision to see if we could ever get Keegan O’ Toole to join the HWC once he’s done with college. with hopes of potentially joining the coaching staff when he’s done competing. Ben has routinely commented that Keegan is one of, if not the most intelligent kid he’s ever coached, and his wrestling IQ is second to none. Keegan seems like a very well spoken, well respected kid as well. Just my .02

As a fan of PSU, I too would be against replacing Brands. We already know what a Brands led program looks like and that's Iowa playing second fiddle to PSU almost every year. It's the unknown I fear most and that would be Ben coaching Iowa.

As for people saying Ben has never led a college program well I think that's hogwash and shortsighted and those people have no balls. Why would I want someone learning under a coach that is currently being destroyed by Cael every year? I think its going to take someone special to catch PSU and the old tried and true methods are no longer cutting it.

Lastly, Brands has developed what, 1 national champion in the past 5 years? I think its possible Ben will have helped develop 2 (Keegan and Parker) just this season. And if Messenbrink didnt move up for his team, I think it would be 3. I also think a reason AWA kids are starting to head to PSU is because Caels training methods are very similiar to what Ben does with his kids. If you listen to FRL, Cael abd Ben obviously talk and bounce ideas and opinions off each other. So yeah, I'm all for Iowa totally discounting Ben Askren.

As a fan of PSU, I too would be against replacing Brands. We already know what a Brands led program looks like and that's Iowa playing second fiddle to PSU almost every year. It's the unknown I fear most and that would be Ben coaching Iowa.

As for people saying Ben has never led a college program well I think that's hogwash and shortsighted and those people have no balls. Why would I want someone learning under a coach that is currently being destroyed by Cael every year? I think its going to take someone special to catch PSU and the old tried and true methods are no longer cutting it.

Lastly, Brands has developed what, 1 national champion in the past 5 years? I think its possible Ben will have helped develop 2 (Keegan and Parker) just this season. And if Messenbrink didnt move up for his team, I think it would be 3. I also think a reason AWA kids are starting to head to PSU is because Caels training methods are very similiar to what Ben does with his kids. If you listen to FRL, Cael abd Ben obviously talk and bounce ideas and opinions off each other. So yeah, I'm all for Iowa totally discounting Ben Askren.
So Brian Smith and staff get no credit for the development of Keegan? What about UNI staff and the development of Keck? So Jody developed Spencer then and not Brands and staff? Good thing all these club and HS coaches are developing guys for these college coaches

So Brian Smith and staff get no credit for the development of Keegan? What about UNI staff and the development of Keck? So Jody developed Spencer then and not Brands and staff? Good thing all these club and HS coaches are developing guys for these college coaches
I didnt say that. Also, youre obviously a Hawk fan. Weren't you informed that these elite recruits are already developed before getting to college? I mean, thats been the contention on this very board for years especially when Hawk fans want to say Cael doesnt develop his wrestlers.

Reactions: PSUer1989
I didnt say that. Also, youre obviously a Hawk fan. Weren't you informed that these elite recruits are already developed befire getting to college? I mean, thats been the contention on this very boardor years especially when Hawk fans want to say Cael doesnt develop his wrestlers.
I'm not a Hawkeye fan I'm a wrestling fan. I have been around awhile and know the sport very well and exactly how everything works

I don’t like johnstown (hey johnstown, GTFOH) . . . but there is a reason why so many freshmen are coming in college-ready. The lift for college coaches to develop recruits in years 1 and 2 is a lot lighter than it used to be, and that is because of the work club coaches have done. “Development” of a lot of these guys by college coaches is now more of an emphasis on the finer skills in years 1 and 2, and then a matter of preventing physical and mental burnout in years 3 and 4. Guess where we are failing in that process?

I don’t like johnstown (hey johnstown, GTFOH) . . . but there is a reason why so many freshmen are coming in college-ready. The lift for college coaches to develop recruits in years 1 and 2 is a lot lighter than it used to be, and that is because of the work club coaches have done. “Development” of a lot of these guys by college coaches is now more of an emphasis on the finer skills in years 1 and 2, and then a matter of preventing physical and mental burnout in years 3 and 4. Guess where we are failing in that process?
Agree with that. It just sounded like he wanted to give all the credit to the club and HS coaches. It's about managing your talent.

Reactions: Rotisserie Scrotz
Lol. Why does everyone become jts when you dont like what they've posted. As for those failures, if youve listened to Askren these past 5 years youd know he's been a student of the physical and mental aspects of the sport and has a different approach to training his athletes than other ckub coaches. When I said his style is most like Caels, thats mostly what I was hitting on.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Lol. Why does everyone become jts when you dont like what they've posted. As for those failures, if youve listened to Askren these past 5 years youd know he's been a student of the physical and mental aspects of the sport and has a different approach to training his athletes than other ckub coaches. When I said his style is most like Caels, thats mostly what I was hitting on.
I was partially agreeing with you, while telling you to GTFO. Now GTFO.

• Haha
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Has anyone asked Ben if he wants to be a D1 head coach? With NIL and the portal I highly doubt he does

Brands’ failure to develop isn’t a failure to “develop”. It’s a failure to recruit better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT