ADVERTISEMENT

Gennings Dunker

This kid could be damn good if he can get his fundamentals down pat… not sure what year he is eligibility wise but the kid is absolutely HUGE and from what I hear he’s a damn beast in the weight room… not that always transpires to anything but the dude has the tools to be a good player at Iowa
What fundamentals does he need to improve on? Is it footwork, his hands, his first step in pass protection? Just curious as I havent really focused on him.

What fundamentals does he need to improve on? Is it footwork, his hands, his first step in pass protection? Just curious as I havent really focused on him.

Sure no expert on O-line fundamentals, I believe he is a RS sophomore that began his college career at OG, More than anything he needs experience, You hear Kirk talk about how Castro has blossomed, He now reacts and plays fast compared to having to think of his responsibilities and then react earlier in his career. I believe Gennings needs to continue to go through that natural progression. We all want instant results but the reality is the young man needs time to gain experience and confidence.

Sure no expert on O-line fundamentals, I believe he is a RS sophomore that began his college career at OG, More than anything he needs experience, You hear Kirk talk about how Castro has blossomed, He now reacts and plays fast compared to having to think of his responsibilities and then react earlier in his career. I believe Gennings needs to continue to go through that natural progression. We all want instant results but the reality is the young man needs time to gain experience and confidence.
From what I’ve noticed is he’s a beast any time he gets those paws on a pass rusher. Power is his game. Struggles with athletic DE’s and lacks overall athleticism(quickness, footwork) to be an elite OT. I think he’d be a mauler at G but the issue we’ve really had since Jackson/Wirfs is guys who should playing G are playing T.

Wee bit of difference between an NFL G playing college T and a college G playing college T.
K but Scherff was a tackle in college. Dunker is a tackle in college. Scherf got moved to guard in the NFL, so therefore a guard playing tackle. Dunker may be a guard at the next level, but for now he is at tackle and seems to be holding his own there.

K but Scherff was a tackle in college. Dunker is a tackle in college. Scherf got moved to guard in the NFL, so therefore a guard playing tackle. Dunker may be a guard at the next level, but for now he is at tackle and seems to be holding his own there.
That isn't what Knives was suggesting, and your reply drives reiterates that you don't understand what the phrase means.

yeah bro I know what friggin guard playing tackle means.
Then you surely understand that Scherff is not an appropriate example for the phrase, correct?

There are only two possibilities here. You were being facetious by using Scherff as an example, or you don't understand the phrase.

I think we could see an excellent O line next year as Richman Jr, Feth Sr, Jones Jr, Colby Jr, Dunker So, and likely replacement for Feth would be Stephens So. They have looked good the last couple of weeks and another year could see additional improvement.

Reactions: Torg and Legs94
This kid could be damn good if he can get his fundamentals down pat… not sure what year he is eligibility wise but the kid is absolutely HUGE and from what I hear he’s a damn beast in the weight room… not that always transpires to anything but the dude has the tools to be a good player at Iowa

Dunker is a beast. 345 pound bench press, 15 reps (and that was 17 months ago).

And he consumes maybe just a wee bit too much daily protein. ;)

This is from May 5, 2022.

Check this out & watch:

Last edited:
I think we could see an excellent O line next year as Richman Jr, Feth Sr, Jones Jr, Colby Jr, Dunker So, and likely replacement for Feth would be Stephens So. They have looked good the last couple of weeks and another year could see additional improvement.
Hoping, really hoping, Richman isn't our LT next season.

But given the recruiting and development history...not optimistic.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
He's from the Class of 2021 so this is his 3rd year with the program. If he's considering the NFL Draft, he's eligible.

He redshirted in 2021 (did not see any game action due to injury).

In 2022 he saw action in 11 games, earning first career start at right guard in the 21-0 Music City Bowl win over Kentucky.

Reactions: Torg
Hoping, really hoping, Richman isn't our LT next season.

But given the recruiting and development history...not optimistic.
Richman looking better in pass pro against all comers this year except PSU DEnd who is really good. But is Richman a power blocker in the run game? Jury may be out as he doesnt seem to blow guys off the line as an amateur watcher

Richman looking better in pass pro against all comers this year except PSU DEnd who is really good. But is Richman a power blocker in the run game? Jury may be out as he doesnt seem to blow guys off the line as an amateur watcher
Pretty easy to be a pass blocker when the defense knows Iowa has no passing offense. DEs just try to hold the edge.

Richman wouldn't start at LT for any other B1G team, imo.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT